Just Dance Kids 2 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$16.04 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 31, 2011
I can't say much other than it's "fun for kids"... because it is! My neighbors are the reason I got into Just Dance to begin with and they're kind of weird and obsessed with it so last night I checked out what they were brainwashing their children with and here it is... Easier than the other JD games, obviously, due to a slightly different learning curve, but that makes it even more fun for them. And frankly, I would rather EVERYBODY'S KIDS be playing games like this than playing the violent stuff that, well, I like to play, or used to. I seriously hope that parents of young children, if they must be playing video games at all, play games like this which promote

-exercise
-cooperation
-creativity
-rhythm

There are plenty of brain studies out there that show these kinds of activities promote more constructive, creative, cooperative members of society, but I'll let you go nerd that up yourself. Cheers!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this game from the Vine program and gave it to my neighbor, for their kids and had them give me feedback. Overall it was a big hit!

Most of the kids enjoyed the song selection and had a lot of fun learning the beat and rhythm. There are over 40 dances to learn and a wide variety of classic kids' tunes and songs from some newer kids' movies. The play list is split between songs for boys or girls in different age groups. The songs are all kid appropriate though, so no worries there. There is also a parental control feature just in case. The animated (or video captured?) kids on screen do a good job of illustrating the dance moves. And the game does put the lyrics on screen so kids can learn the tunes.

Here is a copy of the track listing from UBI Soft:

Hot Pop Songs for Older Kids:
Alright, Burnin' up, Dumb Love, Feeling Good, On Our Way, I'm Gonna Catch You, Intuition, Just The Way You Are, Love Me, Positivity, Rocketeer, Whip My Hair, Song 2, Start All Over,

Songs from kids' favorite movies and TV shows:
Accidentally in Love, Despicable Me, Hold Still - Yo Gabba Gabba, I Am A Gummy Bear (The Gummy Bear Song), Jump Up!, The Robot Song - Yo Gabba Gabba, Follow The Leader - The Wiggles, The Shimmie Shake! - The Wiggles, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Something That I Want,

Fun Songs for Younger Kids:
Party Goes Down, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Five Little Monkeys, Mah Nà Mah Nà, Girls Can Too, Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Summer School, Hand in Hand

Classic Kid favorites:
Barbara Ann, Crocodile Rock, Istanbul, Jingle Bells, Lollipop, Shake Your Groove Thing, Hand in Hand

Again, they are all pretty kid friendly, though some wouldn't appeal to kids over 5 or so. I do have to say that the kids love it, though the grown ups can get tired of hearing the songs over and over! Just be ready to hear these tunes a lot, because kids can get addicted to this!
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 7 year old grandson is all boy. His version of color theory is that red, gray, black and sometimes blue are suitable boy colors; Justin Bieber's predilection for purple is just plain odd. I was curious to see how Just Dance 2 would fit into his superhero approach to life. His two year old brother loves music, so I knew he would like it.

Unfortunately, the first song he clicked on was a love song from Shrek, and that just wouldn't do. We assured him he could leave that choice and go on to the menu, where he found a robot song which was much more to his taste. He was soon jerking and twisting around, and from there it just got better and better. He humored his little brother by doing the occasional hokey-pokey and a really charmingly choreographed Itsy-Bitsy Spider (actuallly better than the fingerplay! really!) The dances are done against a wild computer generated backdrop, but the dancers are appealing kids.

My daughter showed him how to switch on the bubble mode, so he could pop bubbles while dancing, and then he was perfectly happy, like a little miniature Mario guy in our own living room. His two year old brother stood and watched him, his jaw dropped, as if the Backyardigans were performing right before our eyes.

The song choices were particularly appealing, ranging from songs for the very young to songs for -- seven year old boys. You can also create your own playlist and then put it on shuffle so that you can adapt the music for your child's age and then make changes as he/she ages.

At the end, my grandson lay panting on the floor. Any device which can extract physical energy from my little wild man is AOK in my book. As a children's librarian, I was thinking of taking this into my library and using it with my kids. Now I've decided the library is going to have to buy its own copy; this one is too good NOT to keep.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Man I am worn out. Just did the Just Dance Kids 2. I have Just Dance and Just Dance 2 and got to try the Summer Party one. In some ways this one is harder as it has different options to have multiple actions going on. You can have regular that has the little stick figures along the bottom just like all of them plus a smiley face that tells you how you are doing. When you get perfects it has a big star burst. Lots of encouragement for the kids and the adults. Then you can choose shake and freeze and balloon pop. One more thing to watch on the screen.

The characters are real children, some look like cartoon bodies but others are not. The children seem to be more like 10 yrs old. Intuition the girls are more like 13.I'll have a 3 year old try it here soon and my God children. I don't see a 3 yr old as able to keep track of everything. I guess the bottom line even if they don't hold the wii remote and do it all perfect they are moving and that is what matters most. The backgrounds are really detailed and fun. Bottom line there is something for everyone.

There is a parental control area to chart progress and control some of the options. The playlist feature is nice as you set the game to the children's age.They break down as follows:
For All 6 songs
Easiest Songs 8
Hardest songs 8
Animals 5 songs
Shake 5 songs
You can also make your own playlists.

I thought tweens are like 10-12yrs old and this is rated 3-8 years. Songs like Accidentally in Love is not really the best choice for a 3 yr old. Five little monkeys is good for the little ones :) The little ones will love Yo Gabba Gabba for sure.

So overall I think this is great for the whole family to do together. Even Hold Still as an adult you will moving and that is the point.
VINE VOICEon December 15, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I bought Just dance kids for my daughter last year after realizing that what she was really responding to on TV were the programs with music and dancing, Backyardigans, Yo Gabba Gabba, etc.
She really loved it and though she has no idea how to use the Wii remote it really doesn't matter, she still loves to dance with the kids on the screen and loves the songs.
So when Amazon had JDK2 for review via the Vine program I decided to give it a shot.

Keep in mind that my daughter is 2 so most of the review revolves around the "younger" selection on the disc.

First thing we noticed is that a lot of the songs seem to be slowed down, they seriously butchered "Constantinople" but for the most part they still manage to deliver the tunes with enough fun that it keeps my daughter happy and engaged.

The next thing I noticed was that the kids dont seem to have the choreography down quite as well as they did in the first one. Some of the dancers in JDK1 were really on point and even though I could swear a few of them are back in JDK2 (just a bit older now) they dont seem to have the skill or precision they had in the first game. This is really a minor complaint because a 2 year old is not going to care but in my opinion the difference is noteable.

As far as my daughter is concerned there are not quite as many "hits" on this version either but the ones that are there are really REALLY popular with her. 5 little monkeys, manah manah, A couple Yo gabba gabba tunes and a few others are big hits with her to the extent that she will run around the room and grab everyones hand to make them stand up and dance with her. It's pretty adorable.

An added feature that I always wanted in the first one was a non-stop play feature and we got it in JDK2! The only problem is that it seriously shuffles through all the songs in the section you choose from, Hard, Easy, Younger or Older. That sounds ok until you realize that it includes every version of the same song on the disk, so you get to hear each song in 5 different languages.
I feel like they kinda botched it but they are so close. If we could have a non-stop feature for our own playlists that would seal the deal for me.

Now I just mentioned multiple languages and yes, many of the songs come in quite a few languages. Not all of them, and it seems to mostly be the younger kids classics, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Brother John, Jingle Bells and a few more. I think that's really cool since I learned the French version of Brother John as a kid (Frere Jaques)and would like my daughter to learn that one as well.
But again in the non-stop I'd like to be able to set which language is chosen through the random playlist.

Other than that not a lot has changed from JDK1
These are great games for kids to play, the songs are all kid friendly and the dance moves range from super easy to intermediate.
What I really like is that it gets her off her butt and jumping around the house. She really loves the game and as I said even though she doesnt know how to use the wii remotes she still wants to dance.
On a side note my wife and I have started a bit of a rivalry dancing around with our daughter. While Mia (my daughter) is just laughing and skipping, my wife and I are getting pretty serious about trying to out dance each other with the remotes in hand... she still wins, but it's a blast and easy enough that a clutz like me can play along.

Definitely a recommended buy for your lil music nuts and dancers at home. I also recommend getting the first one so you have all the great songs.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hosted a Thanksgiving potluck and had a ton of young kids to entertain. What better than to have them dance off that pumpkin pie and whipped cream? The kids that were younger really had a blast. Some of the kids that were older than 5 weren't interested for very long, even with the songs that were meant for older kids. The favorite song of this crowd was Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. As annoying as it was to hear it 3 times back to back, the kids were pretty cute dancing to it without care of scoring points or "playing" the game... they just wanted to dance like the kids on the screen. I would have to mention that the girls were FAR more into this game than the boys. The boys just sat down and watched the screen while the girls danced behind them.

I'm glad this doesn't have the dance mat like other games as it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. This game is well designed and has an easy to use interface. If you have kids that are older, I'd recommend stepping up to the regular "Just Dance". We played it after the kids 2 version and everyone (adults included) had a fun dancing to Cyndi Lauper and MC Hammer. It was a little much hearing the kids singing "Who let the dogs out"... over and over again. So I think this a solid product for the youngsters and would recommend!
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
My friends and I all play Just Dance together and own every game they have released. My kids showed interest when Just Dance Summer Party came out and they heard, "Kung Fu Fighting" They LOVE that song so they asked to play it, and they loved it. My kids are 7 and 4 so when i saw Just Dance Kids 2 i jumped on it. My son loves Bruno Mars "Just the way you are" and my daughter loves every nursery song out there and they have loved this game. There are songs for different age range interests. Preschool all the way through teenager(although i would just buy Just Dance, 2, 3 if i had a teen, since i'm sure they would not appreciate the itsy bitsy spider) This game is great for kids i'd say up to 10, before i'd buy the regular Just Dance games. But if you have small children as well as slightly older, this game will give you a good mix without having to buy multiple versions of Just Dance to get what you want.
on January 2, 2012
I wanted to love this game, especially since it had popular songs like the gummy bear song my kids love to sing but, unfortunately it is not very easy to select the songs you want to dance to, confusing even for parents to get the dance started and then you are pretty much forced to go through the songs randomly :( The kid dancers are real kids & they are dancing in cartoon backgrounds, it just didn't hold my kids interest, they are 4 & 8 and love to dance so I thought this would be a hit! They played it that one time and never again, I would return it if we could so I do not recommend this game.
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2011
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own Just Dance & Just Dance 2 for Wii, and while I really enjoy them, my 8 yr. old daughter has always held back when I've asked her to play with me. When she has taken the plunge and played along, she has been easily frustrated with her inability to keep up with the moves, and given up after a short time.

When I put in Just Dance Kids 2, however, she became very excited! I think the idea that this was a dance game made for her age put her at ease from the beginning. She eagerly played for about an hour that first time, trying out a bunch of the different game options - Bubble Pop became her favorite.

As a mom, I truly appreciate that the songs and moves are all completely appropriate for young kids. The choreography is easy to follow, and navigating through the game is intuitive. I will say, though, that while this game will get occasional play in our house, I can tell this is still not her favorite game of choice.

With a few of the songs coming from preschool shows, I had originally thought this could be too baby-ish for an 8 yr. old. I was wrong, however! Not only are there a lot of other songs that she enjoys, she has played some of those preschool songs with tons of goofy laughter!

My 11 yr. old daughter has joined in once in a while, and enjoyed herself as well. This surprised me the most, but it just goes to show that you're never too old for some innocent fun!
on January 19, 2012
Format: Video GameVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We also have the first Just Dance Kids and have had fun dancing with our 5 and 7 year old daughters. It's a great Wii game for when the weather isn't perfect and we stay indoors. Just Dance Kids2, however, isn't nearly as good. The songs chosen are not the good dance tunes used in the first game. Many of the songs are for toddler to little kid ages, which could be good for little ones, but they have been re-made into slow and slightly dark versions. Our girls just didn't care for this version. For example, the movie "Despicable Me" may have been enjoyable to most people but who wants to dance to a slower and more juvenile re-make? I will add that the graphics are improved and it is an easy game to use, even for children. These qualities don't make up for the poor song choices. If you haven't purchased any Just Dance Kids yet, I recommend buying the first one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question