Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on February 23, 2014
I've been wearing my hair natural for 2 years. Honestly, my hair is not that bad....its just a pain in the butt. Its frizzy, tangles and can be hard to manage. I CAN wash & go my hair but the shrinkage is crazy and it knots a bit throughout. So...I chose to use a texturizer after a lot of back and forth between my friends.

Cons -
1. I can't say my hair is natural anymore. (If that matters to you...don't use this product).

2. I really need to be diligent about moisturizing because my hair is color treated (it could begin to break off...but I have some great deep conditioners and I'm not afraid to use them).

Pros -
1. My hair looks exactly the same as it did natural, but now I can comb through it easier.

2. The shrinkage isn't as bad....though there is still some.

So here's what I did differently than the instructions:

1. I only used about 2/3 of the activator.
2. Total processing time including application was 6 minutes, start to finish.

I'm extremely pleased with the results, my hair looks great. I will post an update about breakage (as I stated before my hair is color treated with Dark N Lovely Golden Bronze hair color...which is light). It should be noted that I had not colored my hair in 6 months or so at the time of application so I have about 4 - 5 inches of black/gray root (I'm only 43 but about 15% gray).

**One week update** I omitted in my original review something I think was important, so I'm adding that here. In addition to the two things I mentioned that I did differently than the instructions, I did another thing!

#3. Instead of using the deep conditioner they provided, I used Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery Treatment for 45 minutes.

And now for the update - One week since I did my texturizer. No breakage thus far. My hair is shiny and curly BUT there is more shrinkage one week in. I conditioned it twice during the week with Miss Jessie's Curly Conditioning Creme as a leave-in. I also added some organic coconut oil and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to style. I slept with it wrapped in a silk scarf each night. I love it!

Future notes: I will do a touch-up in about 6 months, I COULD use more activator than I did...but I will not...instead, I will increase processing time to 7 minutes to see if that helps with the shrinkage.

I recommend this product!

**Two week update** - I recolored my hair today. I had about 4 inches of black root. It is now golden bronze all over. After two weeks with the texturizer my hair is still awesome! Its soft, bouncy, and shiny. After I recolored the roots I treated my entire head with the Miss Jessies Rapid Recovery Treatment again for 45 minutes.
After I rinsed that out, I applied organic pressed coconut oil (all over), Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. I wrap it in a scarf so it can dry. When I remove the scarf, I fluff, and scrunch it. It looks amazing!!!

**2 Month Update*
Its been about 2 months since I first applied the texturizer. No breakage and my hair is truly looking the best it ever has. I deep condition once per week and wash it 3 times a week. Sometimes I can get 3 days out of my curls but for the most part I wash it and wrap it at night and typically wear those curls for 2 days before I have to wet it again. I will definitely use this again for touch-ups.

***Touch-up Update***
Ok, so at about the 5-month mark I touched up. As I stated before, my hair is color treated, which is precisely why I had to touch-up now (I'm going to a big conference and I didn't want 4 inches of black root). Here is how I did it and maintained my curl. I colored my hair immediately after the first application, therefore all of the black root was virgin hair. I applied the texturizer to the virgin hair only (with clumsy overlap) with the same recipe I used above (2/3 of the activator). I would start from the back (or wherever your hair is most coarse) and work my way to the front because its tougher with such a small application to not straighten the hair out more. I left on for about 6 minutes total again. My hair grew 4 - 5 inches during that time and i really couldnt tell until after the texturizer reduced the shrinkage. Hair looks DIVINE! I will say a few things:
~ My hair no longer looks natural (in my opinion). As an African American woman its atypical to have the same hair as someone who is, lets say, biracial. However, that's what my hair looks like. If that's your cup-of-tea you will like this product. It works for me because I want my hair to grow and without the texturizer my natural hair likes to knot-up and then it breaks when I try to comb them out.
~ I will only touch-up twice a year. I could have waited another month easily but I wanted to recolor prior to a conference.
~ Hair is healthy and growing while color-treated. No breakage. I would say you CAN use this product with color treated hair with the right precautions (I used a protein deep conditioner in lieu of the conditioner they provided, I use a leave-in conditioner on my hair 4 nights per week and always air-dry (NO heat), I don't use regular shampoo (Im using the As I am Coconut Co-wash and Joico K-pak protein treatment once per week).

Hope this helps you decide!

***One Year Update*** My hair has gotten quite long. I'm finally able to grow it out while curly because I dont have to worry about those small knots. I noticed that I can't use regular shampoo anymore. I can only use co-washes because regular shampoo dries my hair out too much and it is unmanageable. Also, I have to comb it out every time I condition or my hair or it starts to dread. Typical stuff for curly hair. It is still color treated and looks amazing! I will use this product indefinitely.
on July 1, 2011
I have no clue what happened to the other people who say this stuff messed them up, because I didnt even follow the directions exactly (accident, not on purpose; left it on a bit too long) and my hair turned out amazing. It does just what it promised. it gives your hair body, movement, and most importantly, it relaxes the curl just enough. Not too much, not too little. And really, you pretty much control how loose your curls end up based on how long you leave it on. If you leave it longer, your curls will be looser. I love this stuff. No burns, smells great, and made my hair much mroe manageable, versatile as far as styling, and just friggin gorgeous. I'm a 20 year old multiracial college girl, and i went natural a couple years ago. I could not deal with my hair anymore. It had gotten to shoulder length and I was like, "Good grief, I can't even comb it unless it's wet!" it was getting to be frustrating and time consuming, plus the kinks and curls in my hair were forever getting tangled, and starting to break because of the constant tugging to comb it. No more! I love this stuff and will use it forever. Great alternative to relaxing or texturizing.

Natural Hair <-----------0-------****Texture Softener***-------------Texturized Hair---------------------------------------------> Relaxed Hair
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2010
I used Just for Me Texture Softener about a month ago after hearing rave reviews from a relative. I was looking for something that would loosen my curl, not remove the curl. I have 3B/C hair and am an adult. I followed the directions exactly. I did NOT comb it through and it came out beautiful. My hair felt alive after the treatment, not overly dry or rough. I've read some of the reviews where people say they combed the product through and were upset that their hair was straight. The directions say that if you comb it through like a relaxer that you will get a really straight look. Please make sure you read, understand and follow the instructions exactly to get the look you want. I would highly recommend this product to anyone with 3B or 3C hair texture who want to loosen their curl pattern. Not all products work on all people but this one is great for me and may help others as well.
on January 5, 2012
It made my hair go from poof to a nice soft looser curl,, I 100% recommended it to anyone trying to find a good texturizer,, && I'm not even a child && I still used it because it was still effective !!! Though it does leave the hair a little dry,, you can just deep condition your hair afterwards,, nothing bad about that !!!!
on July 10, 2012
It had been about two years since I'd used any chemicals in my hair and I was feeling that I had had enough of my hairs not-so-easy manageability. While I loved, loved, loved my curls, washing and combing and styling was so hard, not to mention the amount of manipulation my hair had to endure to look presentable. After much research, I decided to try this product. I was really nervous because I knew my hair was thriving in its natural state. It didn't take long for me to apply, although I have to admit, I kind of just slapped it on like I used to do with perms. I am so pleased with my results! I still have my many coily curls but they are way lighter and more manageable. I now have the look I've been trying to accomplish for sometime. Just know that the product is still breaking down your hair to some extent so make sure you keep up with moisturizing and protecting it from the elements.
on April 25, 2015
I've used the Just For Me Texture Softener for about a year now, and was initially, very satisfied with the product. But I found with my most recent purchase (4/11/15) that they changed the formula. This product used to just soften the curl of my hair, but this last application completely straightened it. It also REALLY irritated my scalp -- something that the old formula never did. Even the conditioner is different; the new stuff didn't leave my hair soft like the old formula did. If you're looking for a gentle texture softener, look elsewhere. BTW, the new packaging has a white background with slightly older girls pictured as compared to the old product which is pictured on the Amazon page (yellow background with younger girls). And nowhere on it do they mention a change in the formula.
on October 15, 2013
I am mixed and in my 20's, I have long fine 3c curls. When I blow dry my hair straight if falls to the middle of my back, but when it's in its natural state I get a TON of shrinkage, about shoulder length. I wanted to keep my curls but display my length. This was the first time I've chemically processed my hair. I mostly followed the directions for fine to medium hair. My application time took 4 minutes and I left the product in for an addiction 6 minutes. I did NOT comb the product through my hair, based on other reviews I was afraid that might straighten my hair. Total time was 10 minutes, I rinsed it out with the neutralizing shampoo provided, then shampooed with my regular shampoo and deep conditioned. It definitely loosed my curl pattern and when my hair is fully dried with no product I'd say it's about 5 inches longer then before. I'm very happy with the results my hair is a little softer, longer looking, and easier to detangle. I've been keeping my hair moisturized and haven't experienced any breakage. Do a strand test first to see how your hair will react to the processing!
on April 6, 2011
I tried this product a couple of days ago. So far, so good. I used it exactly as the directions said. The only thing I would change is that I would have started in the center of my head, which is the most unruly section. The thing I like most about it is that I have a very, very, very sensitive scalp and this product didn't burn me at all. I didn't like how difficult it was to rinse and wash out. I used the entire bottle of shampoo and would have liked to have had more! All in all though, I am pleased and will most likely use it again.
on February 25, 2008
I am African American with very thick medium textured curly hair. Previously I was using the Just for me regular strength relaxer about 3 times a year. I was able to wear it curly this way, but felt when I wore it straight it was still to straight. I have been using this product now for about a year and love it. I can wear my hair wavy by using John Freida perfecting dream curls or wear it curlier by using mousee and Paul Mitchell's foaming pomade. When I wear it straight it has so much body and is very manageable. My hair is long and healthy and I will continue to use this product.
on October 19, 2012
I've been using it for several years off and on. I went completely natural in May of 2010 and then started using this again eventually after my hair grew close to shoulder length. Now its close to bsl.

It does what it says it will, softens the curls although your hair doesn't have to be 'hard' to use it to begin with. It loosens the curls just enough which is all I want so I can easily do a lasting wash and go without it being as bulky as when its completely natural.

The way I do it is just smooth it on the roots only, like conditioner with my fingers using big sections all over my head. I'm pretty sloppy with it but just on the new growth of course. I never, ever comb it through. Directly after I put it all in, which takes about 5 minutes, I immediately wash it out, shampoo and condition.

It still reminds me of my natural hair, its just less bulky and my hair can still do anything that it would have been able to do in its natural state. I use it once every 3-4 months.