Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just For You
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 2, 2004
I've been a Lionel Richie fan forever. Maybe I just like everything he does. I don't get the complaints from people. Jeeze... artist need to change, explore their range and try to gather new fans. They can't survive on old fans alone.

Some of this album (the first four tracks) is classic Lionel Richie ("Just For You", "I Still Believe", "Long Way To Go", "Just To Be With You Again").

"Heaven" would be his classic old self but for the odd percussion, although I still like it.

"She's Amazing" has a reggae feel to it. Upbeat with a nice rhythm.

"Ball And Chain" has folk guitar through quite a bit. I was enjoying it until he went to a rock feel for 20 seconds of the song. It is totally out of place in the scheme of the rest of the song. Oh well, 20 seconds that I don't like isn't going to keep me from listening to the track.

"Time Of Our Life" is a typical ballad..... probably my least favorite track. It's a little slow and boring, especially at 5 minutes long.

"Outrageous" is funky. good beat, nice flow. Not at all what you are used to from him, but I like it.

"Road To Heaven" is a strange mix. It's a ballad with the lyrics, has an "old Motown" feel in the beginning, throws a bit of country sounding guitar in the middle, then goes back to Motown? Not a bad song. I won't hit the skip button, but not great song.

"Do Ya" is surprisingly one of my favorite songs on this album. (Yes, I'm over 40 so they are still albums to me :P ) I would have sworn this duet was with Stevie Wonder, but it is Daniel Bedingfield? Think Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson's "The Girl Is Mine" crossed with Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder's "Ebony and Ivory" Love It! But it is seriously not what you would expect (or want, maybe) from Lionel Richie.

"In My Dreams" has very repetitive background vocals and at almost 5 minuets in length, it gets old pretty quick. Not a bad song, but too long IMHO.

"One World" is a song with a message. Think "We Are The World" but not as over produced. Nice!

I'm certainly not sorry I bought this one. I like almost everything on it. I like that Lionel Richie can still surprise me.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2004
Lionel Richie is/was a great artist and I am a big fan, but sadly this CD dosen't live up to what I expect from such a great singer/songwriter.
The Hits: "Just For You" although it almost sounds like a U2 ripoff. "I Still Believe" a standard hopeful easy listening cut. "Just To Be With You Again" a soft almost old Richie jingle. "She's Amazing" upbeat and jazzy. "Ball and Chain" a folky sort of cut. "World Is Our Party" old school dance cut. "Dance For The World" a modern "We Are The World" with a cool Indian chant attached. "In My Dreams" nicely done softly jazzy. "One World" classic Richie, simply done, simply put with a big chorus for inspiration.
The Misses: "Time Of Our Life" a really bad duet with Lenny Kravitz that dosen't do either justice. "Outrageous" a teenage garage band could have done better. "Road To Heaven" starts out like an old motown groove but then somehow crosses with bad country. "Do Ya" a bad old guy/young guy mix that stabs at funk.
Overall this CD is half worth the purchase. I wish artists like Lionel Richie would wait until they have a complete album before releasing it. In the past Richie's CD's have been of the quality that can be left on the player to replay over and over again...the music blends nicely together. Unfortunately this CD makes me restless and I find myself getting up to fast forward a few too many times.
on May 12, 2004
Ok, let me preface this with the fact I am a huge Lionel Richie fan...he could put out a pile of poo and I would purchase it. With that said, while there are some good songs on this albums (and his recent albums) but as a whole the albums leave you wanting more. His classic albums held you from beginning to end while this a his recent albums are "hit and miss" at best. It is tough to say but I think one of the drawbacks recently is the songwriting...y'know wouldn't it be nice to just hear Lionel play the piano and sing and not worry so much about production and getting that "modern sound." Don't get me wrong there is some quality material here that if you are a fan of LR you will love...it just does not grab you and hold you from beginning to end...(like he used too). HMMM...maybe a reunion with the Commodores is in order!!!!!!! Now that would be outrageous!
on August 17, 2004
Lionel Richie can write and sing circles around most of the no-talent people who are on the radio these days. This is the latest album from a truly talented superstar.

You know, music is like an artists painting... either it touches you or it doesn't. Well, Lionel Richies music moves me. I hope you like it as well.
on April 30, 2013
I have been rebuilding my CD collection & have to say this was a nice addition.
I can't believe how long Lionel has been in the business. I remember watching him perform with the Commodores at the first concert I ever went to.

I have followed them/him ever since for 30 years. It amazes me that he can keep those lovely ballads coming.

The CD came just as described, without a bump or scratch on the cover or CD.
Sound quality is perfect! I would purchase from this vender again without hesitation.

EA
on May 5, 2004
The songs on this CD are amazing. There are so many potential hits like "Just for You", "I Still Believe", "Long Long Way To Go", "Just to Be With You", and "The Time of Our Life." The first two songs, "Just for You" and "I Still Believe", bring out some newer directions for Lionel, whereas "Long Long Way To Go", "Just to Be With You", and "Time of Our Life" (with Lenny Kravitz) are classic Lionel. These songs make you think about love and life for sure. Lionel's voice sounds better than ever. I only hope he gets the mainstream play that he deserves with these songs.
on May 28, 2004
Although I am a huge fan of Lionel Richie, I was disappointed in this CD. There are a couple of really good songs (like Just For You) and the rest are marginal at best.
on February 18, 2015
This is my favorite Lionel Richie album. I had heard some of his classic songs before Just For You but this is the album that really got me into his music. I just loved hearing his voice on modern, back in 2004, songs but without him losing who he is. A lot of artists get to a point where they just sound like they are trying too hard to stay relevant and in my opinion Lionel has never fallen into that group. He just knows how to make good music decade after decade.
on May 25, 2004
In fact, he's on fire! After all these years, Lionel remains versatile and fresh. Like Smokey Robinson, Richie is among the world's greatest songwriters. And his voice just gets better with time. You won't likely be hitting that "skip" button on this one.
on July 16, 2004
Lionel takes risks on this CD while most succeed at hitting the target some encourage critics to once again mock this talented composer/artist. The chord structure on the opening track appears to be misguided. It seems inspired from recent U2 material. It's an improvement over his last single released "Angel". That production on that song sounded strongly borrowed from Cher's 1999 hit "Believe". The bulk of material produced on JUST FOR YOU remains faithful to the styling of RICHIE and will surely delight fans. All in all, RICHIE, one of the biggest male vocalist of late 70s early 80s, finally offers to the public a CD that officially registers him as an artist for the new millenium.