Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

In the beginning of Mayer's book, our hero looks straight at the reader, slightly lifts both arms, and states: "Sometimes I remember, sometimes I just forget." For example he (or she?-it's difficult to tell the gender in this "Little Critter" book) puts his dishes in the sink, but forgets to put away the milk. Humorous twists on the `I remembered this, but forgot this' motif lift this book above the ordinary. For example: "I didn't forget to feed the goldfish, he just didn't look hungry," and, after a bath, "I didn't use soap, but I didn't forget to. I just don't like to." His mother is alternately tired, frustrated, and amused, and the clever story ends on a warm note. This is a sweet and simple story that manages to cover many familiar situations with honesty and empathy for all involved. Watch for the little mouse friend on every page!
11 comment40 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2002
This book taught kids it's ok to forget somethings in life, but it also teaches them they cannot forget a lot of things, like how much they love their parents. but if you forget minor things like washing the dishes it's ok. I enjoy reading Mercer Mayer books, he can really connect with kids and get on their level, I think kids pick up on the morals. You may get into trouble if you forget things, but all kids do..
on December 1, 1999
Mercer Mayer has created another wonderful book in the Little Critter series. He has an uncanny ability to connect with children on their level. This book has wonderfully bright pictures that reach out and grab the child's attention. It will bring a smile to your face as you learn that it is okay to forget, because every child forgets sometimes.
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2002
This was a funny book. It reminded me a lot of myself and how I leave things on or don't put them away on accident. Another part that reminded me of how I am is how little critter said they didn't forget to close the refridgerator he was just not done eating. I always leave the t.v. on in a room and come back to it because I'm still watching it. This book I think was made to say that you never forget the important things and the things that really matter. It also lets kids know that everyone is forgetful.
on November 8, 1998
Overall, I was very impressed with the book. It has bright colorful pictures that will immediately grab the childrens attention! I think all young children should read this book. It teaches them that everybody forgets things, and it is okay. The difficulty level was good for young children, it is at a level where they can understand the book and comprehend it. It is a very cute story and I suggest that everyobody takes the time to read it.
on April 7, 2011
I bought several Little Critter books because they received so many great reviews. This is the 4th book I've read and I just can't rate it 5-stars like so many before me have done. Little Critter just gives one excuse after another as to why he didn't do something he was supposed to do. The illustrations are good and this should begin some pretty good dialog between adult and child about how to remember. The reviews really had me expecting more.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2001
This book explains to children that it is ok to forget things sometimes most all kids do. But like in the book most kids never forget who or what is most important to them. This book reminds me of me and my brother because we always forget to do our chores but we never forget to tell our parents we love them and tell them goodnight.
on April 6, 2013
I have a son that has a problem of always forgetting, so I ordered this little book as a 'gag.gift' for his 65th birthday in July. :-)
on August 31, 2008
We have a lot of Little Critter books in this house. They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This book is a very realistic portrayal of how children remember things, or forget things... or remember what they should do but decide not to do it anyway :)

Like, Little Critter forgets to feed the dog, but not the fish - the fish just didn't look hungry! (In the illustration, we can see the fish eagerly eating all the food Little Critter is giving it.) He didn't forget to take his boots off - he's going back out in the rain! He won't forget to put away his toys - oops, maybe he *did* forget.

Pretty funny stuff, if my nieces are any indication.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 18, 2015
Little Critter is just too cute. Our kids love the little critter books and I do, too. The illustrations are really great as is the story. We love all of the excuses he makes - quite realistic. All of the Little Critter books are just as cute. Children apparently enjoy them quite a bit from my observations and that is what matters.