5.0 out of 5 stars Fun easy read!
Inspirational!
Published 1 month ago by Traci Takeda

Published 4 months ago by true89believer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing exciting. Most advice is cliche. Interviews are short. I.e. Lauren Lauren's was 2 pages., April 19, 2014
I skimmed through the entire book in 20 minutes. I was excited to read this book because I like learning from the experiences of others and I like hearing people stories. Unfortunately, this book offered very short stories that do not go in depth into each person's life. Before each interview the author includes a personal reflection on the interview which were mundane. The interviews were brief, but many people were interviewed. As a result, you get a compilation of numerous, cursory, 2-3 page interviews which read more like a college report than something one might read for personal interest. I was very disappointed by this book because I had read many interesting autobiographies and biographies in the past which I have greatly enjoyed. If you are interested in good biographies, this might not be the book for you. It felt like I was reading magazine articles where a celebrity writes in a brief story, minus the interesting factor of magazines. This book was a yawn and not good literature. On the plus side, many celebrities including Serena Williams, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Maria Shriver were interviewed, but the interviews lacked depth. You get what you put into a book, and it was clear that the author did not have abundant life experiences which would make stories interesting to tell. More like a college paper than an actual book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impractical, June 13, 2014
This review is from: I Just Graduated ... Now What?: Honest Answers from Those Who Have Been There (Hardcover)
As a millennial who just graduated college and found herself unemployed and living back with her parents, I thought this would be the perfect book for me. I saw the title and immediately ordered it without reading the synopsis or, more importantly, looking at the author’s name. So when I read in the introduction that the author’s mother had delivered the commencement at USC I was extremely confused, until I looked back at the author’s name. Katherine Schwarznegger.

As in “daughter of Arnold”.

This in and of itself hurt the book in my opinion. It’s hard to take career advice from someone who literally doesn’t need to have a career. As you would expect, money is basically never mentioned in this book. It’s very centered around the idea of finding a calling and a purpose, and Schwarznegger does a decent job at covering the topic. And yet all of the “follow your dreams, do what you love!" advice is great when money is no issue, but unfortunately to about 99% of college grads right now it is a very serious issue. What little advice in regards to money that is offered is laughable at best, insulting at worst. The stories and pieces of advice included in the book are well-written and mildly inspiring but have very little practical application.

And so this book ends up being aimed toward a niche audience. For instance, jewelry designer Jennifer Meyer talks about how the worst thing to happen to her was having her father say he was “cutting her off” - although she could live with him as long a she wanted without having to pay for rent or groceries. No money for movies or the mall. Because of stories like this I walked away from this book with a sour taste in my mouth feeling more sorry for myself than before.

This book really should be titled “I Come From a Wealthy Family and I Just Graduated…Now What?”

*I received this book for free from the publisher’s Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.*

1.0 out of 5 stars Review, April 7, 2014
Definitely really questioning how relatable Katherine's story really is here. Really cool idea and I'm sure plenty of celebrity testimonials, but if you guys want to read a more authentic post-grad book take a look at, Ari King's piece. King actually wrote the exact same type of book and self-published it a couple of years ago:

Shame that Katherine took the idea and title verbatim...

1.0 out of 5 stars Another privileged rich kid gets a break/book deal, April 3, 2014
Is this book a joke? Katherine, you are from the 1% that can afford to "pause." The rest of us get jobs, whether we like them or not, because we have loans to pay back and bills to pay, like car insurance, rent, utilities, etc. And even if we live with our parents after graduation, some peoples' parents can't afford for them not to pitch in. We work our way into the jobs we love - hopefully. Without your connections, you would not have gotten this book published, which is as clueless as "Lean In."

2.0 out of 5 stars I wish!, June 4, 2014
This book was....okay. I feel like I resonated with Schwarzeneggers confusion and frustration, but it ends there. The entire time reading I was thinking 'wow that sounds convenient'. I was a tad confused at the vague nature of the testimonials...did John legend just run into Kanye on the street? And Jennifer Meyer got a job editing a popular magazine at 21 with absolutely no writing or editing experience? I'm a recent grad...and I'm feeling less alone after reading this book, but not hopeful.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Just Read A Terrible Book... Now What?, July 4, 2014
As a member of Blogging for Books and the wife of a recent college graduate, I thought I was doing a good thing when I requested a copy of I Just Graduated... Now What? by Katherine Schwarzenegger. I was wrong.

It is a nice enough looking volume in hardcover (if I must deal with hardcover books, I always prefer that they come in a more diminutive mass market size, and this book didn't disappoint there), so I had no idea what I had gotten myself into until I sat down and started reading.

First of all, maybe I'm slow, but it certainly didn't gel for me that Katherine Schwarzenegger is the daughter of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver until I was perusing the table of contents to see whose advice was included and I noticed both Arnold and Maria Shriver listed... and then the author's last name dawned on me. Right about the time I was twigging to the fact that the author of this book wasn't exactly your typical hard-working young undergraduate who worked her way through college and was seeking (and sharing) advice for how to take that scary next step in the real word, but, in fact, the silver spoon-fed daughter of two celebrities who clearly wanted to answer that question for herself by using her celebrity connections to assign homework to famous people she knows and trick them as a collective into writing a book she can slap her name and picture on to buy herself a little post-grad time before she has to prove herself on whatever her own merits might be. (I'm still fuzzy on what those are.) Just as this realization became fully developed for me, and I attempted to maintain an open mind, thinking that possibly this young daughter of two celebrities had something noteworthy to say, I read in the introduction (one of the few parts she actually bothered to write herself) an anecdote about the speech her mom gave at her recent college graduation ceremony.

*Cue eye roll.*

No disrespect to Maria Shriver, but... really? The author was losing credibility points right and left with this particular reader. She didn't sound like an adult parsing out sage advice she had collected, but like a kid parroting back what she'd heard. Then again, maybe that doesn't really matter, because, of the 278 pages within "her" book, she only bothered to write about 62 of them, most of those being short introductions to each "interview" with a fellow celebrity. And, I put quotation marks around interview because it seems like the author didn't ask questions, just a single question, which is the title of the book. The "interviews" read as if Katherine Schwarzenegger had her famous parents call or email their friends and ask if they could write a few pages on this topic and then give it to their daughter to use in her book.

Another problem I have with this book is that the subtitle is a blatant lie: "Honest answers from those who have been there." In this context, "been there" should mean that they graduated from college, right? Apparently that isn't what it means to Katherine Schwarzenegger, who says of her interviewees in the introduction, "Some have only an undergraduate degree, while some have a master's degree in business or other areas. Others never went to college, or did go but for whatever reason did not graduate." Um, what?That is like compiling a book of opinions from doctors and labeling it as such, but then also including what a Red Cross weekend volunteer has to say. I find it absurd that Random House let her get away with such obvious disregard for her readers.

The thing that really burns me about this book is that I couldn't stop comparing it to a book I read back in May... and loved... and recommended to several people: Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen, a 15-year-old girl who found a guide to popularity for teen girls written in the '50's and decided to follow the advice included within. She documented her year-long experiment with mature and insightful writing, and really made herself vulnerable within her book's 272 pages, all of which she actually wrote herself. Van Wagenen has exactly zero celebrity parents or connections to famous people. She represented a typical teenage girl using her own resources, abilities, and creativity to write and sell her book. The advice she collected from interviewing her peers at school (a very brave thing to do), asking her parents and other family friends and relatives, and eventually speaking with the author of the vintage popularity guide directly was hard-won and could easily be implemented in the lives of her readers. Perhaps Katherine Schwarzenegger should've asked Maya Van Wagenen for some post-grad advice. I mean, Van Wagenen hasn't graduated from college (yet: I have no doubts), but, then again, neither have some of the other "experts" Schwarzenegger selected to dole out post-grad wisdom for her book. I doubt it mattered to her, as long as she didn't have to write it herself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly my college experience..., April 11, 2014
I don't know about you, but my college experience was not the same as that of the daughter of a celebrity. Last year, Ari King self-published a very similar book, but spoke to college graduates in the 99% - those of us that have struggled to find ourselves and jobs in the middle of an economic crisis, while also dealing with student loans. Check it out if you feel that Schwarzenegger's doesn't quite resonate with your own - http://www.amazon.com/What-Conversations-about-College-Graduation/dp/0988753006/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397227565&sr=1-1&keywords=ari+king+now+what%3F+book

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like reading mini-biographies about famous people..., June 18, 2014
I had higher expectations for this book, since I have a son who just graduated college. This was disappointing in that it was a collection of short bios about famous peoples' early struggles, people obviously the author could get to interview because of her famous mother and father.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Inevitable Question -- NOW WHAT?, May 26, 2014
One of the most stressful and potentially anxiety filled question most college graduates face is “now what?” a probing, slightly curious (slightly nosy) question that everyone and their mother wants to know. How are you putting the last four years to good use? You have your degree now, what’s your next step?

I’ve been blessed with a wonderful support system in that my parents have been my #1 fans since the beginning. They believe in me, motivate me, encourage me and inspire me to do and be all that I can be in the world. However even with this wonderful support, I have struggled with knowing exactly what I want to do “when I grow up”.

I have also been blessed with the opportunity of going to grad school, therefore when various people ask “now what?”, I thankfully have an answer. However this answer is still fraught with complications, doubts and stress. Although I am incredibly excited to obtain my Master’s degree, what I will do AFTER is a question that admittedly keeps me up at night. My degree is part of a niche field, one that requires extensive international experience, outstanding communication skills and an ability to adapt within a fast-paced and quickly changing environment. This prospect is incredibly daunting and while I’m excited for the challenge, it does beget a little nervousness.

Katherine Schwarzenegger understands that. I heard about this book last year and immediately scoffed at the idea. How could a young woman of privilege, one who has all the money and resources available to her, truly be able to understand what I was going through? How could a woman who has never struggled financially be “the voice of my generation”?

Schwarzenegger not only understands her privilege, but recognizes it as something that sets her apart from many other people. Instead of an inane self-help book written by a barely there woman from an extravagant background, Schwarzenegger took her opportunity to figure out her own frustrations and doubts after graduating and decided to interview dozens of successful people on their struggle, failures and rise towards their careers. The theme interwoven throughout the book — featuring essays from Eva Longoria, Sara Blakely (the creator of Spanx), John Legend and Jillian Michaels — was understanding that failure was inevitable but failure isn’t a permanent state of being.

Reading the various essays was enjoyable and I especially loved hearing that while every single one of those people struggled, not giving up was never an option… Further proof to my own theory that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.

One caveat that I found throughout is the lack of interviews from people who did take the traditional route. While I understand that many within my generation — the Millenials — are struggling to find their place, their way and what they desire to do in their lives, there are others like myself who know exactly what they want to do. However knowing it and getting there are two very different things, one that I was looking forward to hearing more perspective on and was disappointed that it was never discussed. The interview that stood out to me the most was by Gayle King, a woman who in Schwarzenegger’s interpretation, was a part of the generation who started from the ground up and worked until she achieved her dreams. Of all the stories, essays and interviews, Ms. King’s was the story I resonated the most with and it felt as if her story was put in there just for good measure since it was placed towards the end and with little thought to the validity of her career trajectory.

I understand that this book would be more geared to those who are a little more lost, who are unsure of what to do next and are still trying to figure out what they want in life because the author admits to feeling just that multiple times. However having grown up with a clear direction of what I wanted to do and then learning in a college environment that fostered that determination, I felt myself growing impatient towards the end. Although my life goal and plans are different than what they were when I was thirteen (and I recognize may change again as I grow older), my determination to find a goal and stick with it has served me well in my life. It’s been a lesson in patience to understand my peers who struggle with what Schwarzenegger has and honestly, it’s a good lesson to learn. Nevertheless, I would have appreciated more stories like Ms. King’s — of people who took the traditional path of graduating college, going to grad school or immediately going to work — and seeing how their lives panned out. While they may not all be sensational or famous, it’s the stories of longevity that matter most to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Enjoyable Read, May 11, 2014
I give this book 3 stars because not everybody has the connections and opportunity that Katherine Schwarzenegger has. Therefore, we often end up in jobs that are not our passion or vocation / calling. I wish I had the Hollywood connections and access to agents that Katherine has because there would be greater opportunities to do something with myself.

I received a signed copy of this book for free by participating in a Twitter sweepstakes that Katherine Schwarzenegger was offering. It was very nice to have received a signed copy from Katherine's publisher for free. Unfortunately, I don't think I gathered any useful information out of this book as it simply passed the time for me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I Just Graduated ... Now What?: Honest Answers from Those Who Have Been There
I Just Graduated ... Now What?: Honest Answers from Those Who Have Been There by Katherine Schwarzenegger (Hardcover - April 1, 2014)
$20.00 $15.14