4.0 out of 5 stars "Propaganda Junk" response.
To the "Propaganda Junk" author: You are exactly the type of parent/coach this book was written for. If you don't "get it" then you are a part of the problem.
Published on June 7, 2004 by James Warren Fisher

1.0 out of 5 stars Propaganda Junk
I couldn't disagree more with the other reviews! This book is not well organized, or written, and has little substance, if any. It keeps saying the same thing over and over and over again. The book only takes a look a youth sports from a very narrow viewpoint. This book may be good for those who feel it is necessary to completely shield kids from competition even...
Published on January 2, 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "Propaganda Junk" response., June 7, 2004
James Warren Fisher (Florence, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Let the Kids Play: How to Stop Other Adults from Ruining Your Child's Fun and Success in Youth Sports (Paperback)
I have been a recreational and club soccer team coach for 12 years. I have a son playing for a college team on full scholarship. I have a 10 year old who is develping into quite a player as well. By all measures, both my boys are great players. They learned about the game from me under the same types of good attitude and common-sense philosophies discussed in this book.
Sure, kids should be exposed to competition at early ages. The earlier, the better, in my opinion! But they should be exposed to the KID version of competition (fun) as opposed ot the adult version ("win at any cost"). Why some people don't get this is just mind boggling.
There are very sound physiological and psychological reasons behind placing fun over competition at early ages. Most of the reasons have to do with the onset of puberty when that competitive spirt really comes alive in these young people. Until this happens, it's should be just for fun with the intent of keeping them involved with sports for the long term. Burning them out on a sport by age 12 is self-defeating, really sad and should be considered child abuse in my humble opinion.
This book gives some very handy suggestions on how to deal with obnoxious parents and overbearing coaches. It's also causes you to reflect on what you are taeching your own kids. No, it's not a prize winning book. It probably won't do a whole lot of good because the author is preaching to the chior. The people that most need to read it would never read such a book. But it did me some good and I'll pass it's suggestions along whenever I get a chance.
Perhaps it could have been written and organized a little better but it's still a good value and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Parents and Coaches!!!, September 5, 2001
By A Customer
This is hands-down the best book I've read about ensuring your child gets the most out of youth sports. Parents spend a lot of time and money to have their kids participate in sports--this book will make sure that the sports are helping the kids, not hurting them. Many weekends I've watched well-intentioned, normally mild-mannered adults become raving lunatics as soon as the ball is in play and they watch their kids' play. This book gives parents and coaches practical ways to prevent this kind of behavior from happening. Whether your child is a star player on a well-run team, or a bench-warmer on a poorly run team, this book will show you what you can do in big and small ways to improve what your child gets out of sports. The columns by Tom Moroney are hilarious, mostly because they're true--you will recognize yourself or someone you know in this book. It's informative and very entertaining reading!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make every parent in your sports league read this book!, March 4, 2002
By A Customer
Pompano Beach has it right - this is the best youth sports
book out there - by far (how about 6 stars?)
Before you let your kid play "travel" anything - read this book.
Before you let your kid play for a coach who "plays to win" -
read this book.
If your kid plays several sports at once - read this book.
If you have ever screamed at a youth sports official - read
this book.
Wondering about whether to cut kids or not in your program -
read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for parents and coaches of young children!, May 13, 2002
Tim "ando22" (Hampton, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This is a well thought out book, loaded with insightful comments and solutions regarding the problems with youth sports today. I have coached youth sports for 9 years, and since day one, I have been very discouraged with the "system". This book puts sports in it's proper perspective - it's not at all about "winning". I would encourage anyone who is even remotely involved with youth sports to read this book - it will wake you up and give you lots of food for thought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on The Mark!!!!!!, February 5, 2005
I read this book quite a while ago and found myself nodding in agreement throughout the book. Finally someone who "gets it" THANK YOU!!...My younger son has been on travel teams (elite teams) since the age of 7..He is now almost 14..I have sat through hundreds of game,driven countless miles in an SUV to games that were as far away as 2 1/2 hours.. watched my son receive 40 thorphies,..seen practices where I was sure they must be training college players not 8 year olds.. seen coaches kicked out of a game by referees for bad behavior, seen parents behave in ways that I could never imagine...and I see children that are becoming "entitled" through youth sports...This book is right on the money...I feel sad for our youth...and I hope that this book begins to have people qeustion

youth sports and begin to offer some balance in youth sports...We have lost a lot when we lost -->pick up games, sandlot games..etc-children coming together to play sports that was not adult driven...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for All Parents With Athletes - Regardless of talent., February 24, 2008
Howard Sheward (The Woodlands, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
Searching for many answers during my youngest son's "T" ball days (2000) I came across this book which had a profound impact on me. Alot of what I believe in, I could not say; but knew there was a better way. This book gave me scripts; plus it changed me as a father, coach, and supporter of the game. Today I umpire to carry the message and give back to the game; and to be a calming effect on those that require it.
If you are looking for an approporiate way to parent an athlete in today's "win at all cost" culture, "Just Let The Kids Play" is for you. While providing a broad perspective of all sports, it narrows some of it so you can feel the urge to change; to be a better parent/coach; and most of all "to get the hell out of the way" so "they can play". I look back and cringe at my conduct yesterday; but delighted that I have reformed. Doing the right thing is often not easy. Read it and witness yourself. You'll be glad.

Buck Sheward
Henryetta, OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nail it to the youth sports church door! (more please), December 15, 2005
I've recommended this to everyone I know in the youth sports world, although few are receptive to it, believing that "just let the kids play" is an archaic or maybe even extinct idea. After reading the book, I contacted the author and have exchanged phone calls and e-mail messages with him. I wish he'd write a followup so we could get this debate in the open more. If enough parents and administrators got thinking about it, maybe we could rescue youth sports from its present insanity. Even if you don't agree with Bob Bigelow's proposed solutions, please read this book and consider how we can do what's best for the kids. I have friends who are youth sports organization administrators and traveling team coaches and they want what's best for the kids, I just wish they'd stop and think about if there are other ways. This book would give them that perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disagree with the Last Reviewer, November 26, 2003
By A Customer
Wow, I'm not sure you even read the book, if that's your take on it, Mr. Propaganda Junk. The book takes a broad,rather than narrow, view on sports, by gearing programs to all kids, not just the ones who happen to be talented and focused"at any early age (have youever coached young kids - usually they are neither of these things). Bob is not suggesting that we sheild kids from competition and actually outlines a plan for introducing healthy competition. Remember, they are presently kids, NOT adults. Higher goals?? Whose?? Yours or your kids? Most kids I know like to play the game, but can't wait to go to Mickey D's after the game and be with their friends. A place for the higher levels - who defines this? The guys who coach (mostly guys I like to label as PERMANENT JV,based on their own athletic accomplishments), who coach only so their own kid make the team? Does this fit you? Guys like you should take a long look in the mirror and see of you should really be anywhere near youth sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for Sports Parents, August 14, 2005
This book has a message for anyone raising kids involved in organized sports - the leagues have changed since you were a kid. Many leagues wash out kids at young ages through unrealistic expectations, focus on winning at all costs, brutal schedules and cuts of kids who want to play. If you worry about the cost of competitive sports to your kid, this is a good book to read. The adults in your childrens' leagues need to have childrens' best interests at heart. Author Bob Bigelow, former NBA player and author states he probably would have been cut if he started as a kid today in a competitive basketball league. Whether you agree or disagree with the authors' points, you will probably find some ideas to ponder in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should read this!, May 1, 2012
David C. Lacoss (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, written by a man who has the best interest of kids in mind. Every parent who has a kid in sports should read this ASAP! It really helped me to understand what kids need and what frequently harms them in the adult-controlled world of youth sports activities.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›