Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 3, 2013
Words didn't seem enough to tell you how much I love this book and how much I hope you use it as creative encouragement for YOU and for all the artists in your life, big or small.
See the potential of your work!
Sink into the process of your art and there you will find the JOY to create your best work!! I LOVE this book! I think you will too! ~ You can see my art at LauraLudwigHamor.com & SilverFreckles.com
on April 11, 2013
Well. I guess what I want to say first is it's not a bad book. It's in fact a great * beginners* book. Lillia know her stuff and has experience to prove it. She doesn't pump up the book with nonsense and filler**. She says what she wants to say and gets to the point.
That said I can say it's defiantly geared towards women. Or as Lillia says in her book the "feminine aesthetic." It's not a draw back just a heads up if you want to read something about the masculine aesthetic. It also is more for the casual or beginner crafter who doesn't really know how the art/craft world works. I don't feel like it shed any new light on the subject as an experienced illustrator. To me, it just felt like I was reading a self-help book.
I also need to stress the fact that always be weary of books with with the words "learn" and "secrets" together in them. There's never really "secrets" to the art world, just stuff you don't know about/haven't experienced for yourself. The interviews with the design companies are also handy. The "what are you saturated with?" question are insightful.

The book itself is amazing. I love the hardcover and the spiral spine. It will defiantly hold up over time. The text is big and bold. There's lots of pictures. To me this is really good because I actually am not a big reader and lots of words bore me. The only problem a reader might have is holding the book if they have arthritis.

** ok there is filler. but it's intended to be good filler. about 1/4 of the book are activities for you. That require you to photo copy or cut your book.... I wouldn't cut this book. Even if it wasn't a library book. Maybe Lillia wants you to get over the "art is precious" hurdle. Definitely a negative there.

TL;DR: Recommended for beginners, people who need a pick me up, or people looking to get back into crafts. Not recommended for experienced crafters, though the resources in the back are handy. Rent it if your curious.
on March 6, 2013
This is a great book to get your creativity flowing and be inspired to take your art to new heights. The only thing is that for some of the exercises, you have to either scan and print pages of the book or else cut up those pages. These are colorful though and would use up tons of ink unless you own an art printer, I guess. With one of the exercises, there is another exercise on the back of it. Once you complete one, you have to cut up that page to do the one on the back. I just don't understand why a book like this would have these issues. Maybe it wasn't analyzed and edited well by the publisher. There's one "game" closer to the back where the instructions say to copy the page and not cut directly out of the book. Other than this issue, I really enjoyed this book and feel that Lila Rogers is genuinly interested in helping and bringing out the best in artists.
on April 26, 2015
This isn't a book for people who want to make things and sell them on a small scale. If you're an artist - that is, someone who designs, paints, draws, creates their own 2-dimensional images, this is a great resource for how to get your art licensed to sell on a large scale, as prints, fabrics, greeting cards, etc. If you fall into this category, this will be a valuable resource.

On the other hand, if you're a crafter, or an artist who wants to sell your individual work yourself, this won't be of much use to you. This gives you resources for having your creations made by factories, not by yourself. The number of successful artists and crafters who want to or who CAN sell on a scale like this is very small compared to those who want to create and market individual items themselves. A better resource for those in that category might be a guide to creating your own online site or an attractive show display.
on January 24, 2013
You will have the opportunity to make things happen in your creative career with this peek into the industry. Many will be inspired for success. A must have, no matter what type of artist you might be. It is written in a "teaching and mentoring voice". It asks questions and makes you think. There are fantastic interviews and exercises in the book as well. Gorgeous in it presentation and full of wonderful information, it will make a great addition to your bookshelf.
on March 16, 2013
What a great, comprehensive explanation of the where's and how's of all the ways to get paid for your art! From fairs to licensing, Lilla covers every step of the way with easy-to-understand steps and pros and cons of each income stream!! Lots of great advice from her group of artists at the Lilla Rogers Agency... as well as from Lilla's own experience as an artist starting out! LOVE it Lilla!! Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to break into or better understand the art industry!
on February 7, 2013
I Just Like To Make Things is a warm, encouraging, honest, and exceptionally informative book for artists and designers and those aspiring to earn a living through selling their artwork.

Lilla Rogers has an incredible reputation. She's been one of the top illustration agents in the US for decades. In this book she tells you exactly what you need to do to make your artwork sell. Everything is detailed here, from figuring out what you really love (and what makes you anxious) to developing a marketable portfolio to approaching art directors, and all in Lilla's loving, "you can do this!" voice. In addition, the book is illustrated by Lilla and her artists making the pages themselves inspiring to look at.

I highly recommend this book. It's down to earth and it's real. You're going to love it and find yourself recommending it to art-making friends.
on January 19, 2013
Lilla Roger's book is a wonderful, visually-inspiring read for all creatives wanting to follow their passion and make a living from their art or craft. It showcases the work of some of the best illustrators and artists working today and gives the reader shed loads of insider tips on how to get noticed in the world of art licensing, surface pattern design and manufacturing. I found the book hard to put down, and it has helped kick-start my New Year's creative juices following a few weeks of post-Christmas lethargy. Lilli interviews many art directors working in fabric, magazine, stationery and clothing companies, making you feel like you have gotten the inside scoop on the industry. You learn what inspires these directors, how important it is to be trend-aware, and ways of getting your work in front of key people in your particular field. After reading the book in its entirety today, I have a "to-do list" the length of my arm, a headful of ideas and several pages of wonderful websites to visit. The book is also an invitation to work with Liila which makes her stand out as accessible and visible. I recommend to all creatives everywhere!
on August 25, 2013
I've been an illustrator for 15 years, but am just starting on the road to licensing. I never considered it before--my passion is and will always be sophisticated picture books--except that a friend encouraged me to pursue it as a possible additional revenue stream. It was through our search that we learned about Lilla--and then I started to notice all these items around my house that were done by her artists. It's as though she and her artists flitted in like fairies and sprinkled pixie dust all over my home.

It wasn't until I was named a semi-finalist in Lilla's Global Talent Search this summer that I began to see that this might be a viable road for me, so I bought the book. Even though I'm "mid-career", it was like a mini-retreat-in-a-book. The exercises are like workshops designed to free up your brain, whether you're a beginner or a veteran. I'm still taking my time going through the book, really chewing on each suggestion, assessment, potential market.

The exercises about imagining your dream studio and personal ritual forced me to get out of my routine and do some hard assessment. I've mostly worked at home, which I've loved in part because it's enabled me to always be available for my kids. But in the recent past I rented a studio space out of the home, and I realized how that was a time of really explosive growth for my work. The more I analyzed my current vs. desired work ritual, getting in touch with and admitting the things that had always helped me thrive personally and professionally, the more it hit me that I had been making unnecessary concessions out of a feeling of guilt toward my family's (perceived, not actual) needs. My husband (a filmmaker) and I currently share studio space in our large living room, but we are considering having our kids share a room so I can have a studio (with their informed consent, of course!). I am truly a more centered and focused parent when I can have total, uninterrupted head space to work. Our family life is truly unique, being headed by two freelance artists, and always requires re-negotiation. I really have to credit Lilla with asking the right open-ended questions to allow me to face these important truths.

THE only reason I'm not giving the book all 5 stars is because of the exercises being printed back-to-back. I'm not a ruthless cutter-and-paster, so I've just been doing all the exercises in my trusty rusty sketchbook. So it doesn't really bother me, but I can see how it might be a drawback for some.

All in all, though, it's been such a privilege to be named a semi-finalist, and whatever happens, Lilla Rogers has been an important person in this crazy journey that is "the illustrated life".
on May 4, 2016
Lila's website for artists was a 'stumble upon' treasure that I coveted for our 16 yr. old whom I hope our daughter will follow! Her educational whimsy and professional passion are what budding artists 'hope for' in the world of (frankly speaking) jaded people. Lila is the opposite of jaded-and fills the talent and technique portion of tool chest with delicate essence allowing individuals to discover their strengths and hone their craft. Such rare empowerment! Love her work and this book will get you started.