5.0 out of 5 stars Great Father's Day Gift for Dads Who Like to Camp!
Published on June 1, 2001 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Just me and my dad
I recommend this book to kids because it shows that kids and their parents should have a good relationship with each other. I enjoyed this book because I like to go camping and that is what this book is about,a kid and his dad going camping and spend time together. It is a good book for little kids to read.
Published on January 20, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Father's Day Gift for Dads Who Like to Camp!, June 1, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
The Little Critters in the book are a cross between trolls, bears, and porcupines . . . and they certainly are humorous to consider. This book is perfect for the 2-5 year old set. As your child gets older, this book will also make a good beginning reader. The idea of going camping alone with Dad will be encouraged by the story (especially if you reassure your child that bears are unlikely to take her or his fish). While many people would assume this is about a father and son, there is no language to say so. Only the blue overalls give any hint of sex, so I think the book will work well for daughters.
The story involves a camping trip. Mom waves goodbye, and the father and child are off. The father lets the child participate in as many ways as possible, even though it doesn't always work out. For example, the spot the child picks out to camp on turns out to be occupied by a porcupine and a snake!
The high point of the trip is when the child catches a fish. Dad takes a picture, and the child starts to cook the fish. Then the bear comes and snatches the fish out of the frying pan! I know from our children that fishing seems to provide endless fascination at this age. We always taught our children to carefully release the fish. Eating them is good too.
The book ends with "We slept in our tent all night long -- just me and my dad." At these ages, children are not always eager to do things without Mom. But Mom needs a break sometimes, and many Dads love to do a little direct bonding which this book will encourage.
The illustrations are bright, lovingly detailed, and humorous in as many ways as possible. They are rendered in either gouache or water color. I couldn't quite tell which medium was used.
Of special note are a tiny cricket or grasshopper and a spider that humorously accompany the father and child. This illustrated story within a story is worth the price of the book alone. Small children will naturally gravitate towards these little creatures and want to point them out with their tiny fingers.
Make wonderful laughing connections with this book!
After your child is comfortable with it, I suggest that you plan a little camping trip to find out how your child likes the actual experience. Naturally, some fishing might be in order!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Me and My Dad, November 13, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
This book is about a little critter that gets to go on a camping trip with his dad. They do alot of different things together, but the little critter always tried to help his dad with everthing and always messed it up. Even though little critter messed some things up they still had a nice time together.
I would recommend this book to anyone, because its a nice book to read and learn from.
This book teaches that you should spend time with your family and even if you mess anything up still have a nice time with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 23, 2003
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
You can never go wrong with a Mayer book. They are so fun. Always told from a child's point of view, you can't help but laugh at all the mishaps throughout the book and the innocence in which it is told. In this particular book, Little Critter goes camping with his dad and tries soooo hard to help out but somehow always manages to create a minor disaster. Add in a little 'treasure hunt' of spotting the spider and grasshopper in each picture and you've got quite a little treasure in itself. So, cuddle up with your little audience and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, November 17, 1999
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
I remember reading this book as a child. This was one of those books I would pick up time and time again. I don't know how many times I read it.
The wonderful thing about this book and other Mercer Mayer books is his artwork. I remember going through the book and spending 10 or 15 minues on each page, just looking at all of the little critters hiding in each picture.
There are two critters (a mouse and a grasshopper?) that show up somewhere in every picture. Sometimes you have to look very closely, but you'll seem them every time. It's been such a long time since I've read this book, but I came across this listing on Amazon and was immediately nostalgic. This is a book that any age could enjoy. The pictures are a pleasure for little ones to look at and us older folks can enjoy them too.
The story is wonderful and cleverly written too. A father and son go camping and fishing and have all kinds of misadventures. Wow, what memories this one brings back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Toddlers, May 29, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
My 2 year old loves this book. She enjoys reading all of the books about Little Critter. This book is her favorite because of the bear and Little Critter's dad. I enjoy reading this book to her since the story is simple enough for her to understand, yet it is still imaginative and fun. She also enjoys sitting and telling the story to her father while looking at the pictures. I would recommend this book to children 2 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Fair, January 16, 2007
Stepmom (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
It's always easy to find a book relating to the child/mother relationship, but it's a little more difficult finding a book relating to the child/father relationship. So this was quite a delightful find. It was written exceptionally well, and my stepdaughter enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book!!, December 18, 2001
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
This is a cute book that I liked, there is just something so sweet and charming about Mercer Mayers Little Critter books and I highly recommend this book and all the rest in this very cute series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable Children's Book, June 20, 2001
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I still remember how much fun it was searching for the hidden cricket in each picture. Now I am buying a copy for my child-to-be. I hope he/she enjoys it as much as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Warm, Secure Father-Son Experience, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
In this story, Little Critter goes on a camping trip with his father, leaving his mother and baby sister at home. The story is narrated from Little Critter's perspective, and his statements contradict the illustrations with a gentle irony that young children will appreciate. For example, he says, "My dad was tired, so I pitched the tent," and the facing picture shows Dad rescuing him from a disordered pile of fabric and tent poles. The story could be a perfect preparation for a real camping trip, but is worthwhile to read for its own sake; the father is kind and loving, and the scene is very secure. This is a gread story about a dad having fun with his son, giving him an exciting experience and teaching him new skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars an attention keeper!, June 15, 2000
This review is from: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) (Paperback)
This is my 18-month-old son's first Mercer Mayer book and he LOVES it. It has quickly become his nightly bedtime-story request, though we rarely get to actually READ the words (which are truly representative of a child's manner of storytelling). He can easily spend 20 minutes showing me the spider and grashopper on every page, as well as the boat, fish, bear, owl and snake. Anything, especially a book, that holds a toddler's attention this long is a keeper. We will be expanding his "Little Critter" collection soon!

Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) by Mercer Mayer (Paperback - March 2, 2001)
$3.99