Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

The Little Critters in the book are a cross between trolls, bears, and porcupines . . . and they certainly are humorous to consider. This book is perfect for the 2-5 year old set. As your child gets older, this book will also make a good beginning reader. The idea of going camping alone with Dad will be encouraged by the story (especially if you reassure your child that bears are unlikely to take her or his fish). While many people would assume this is about a father and son, there is no language to say so. Only the blue overalls give any hint of sex, so I think the book will work well for daughters.
The story involves a camping trip. Mom waves goodbye, and the father and child are off. The father lets the child participate in as many ways as possible, even though it doesn't always work out. For example, the spot the child picks out to camp on turns out to be occupied by a porcupine and a snake!
The high point of the trip is when the child catches a fish. Dad takes a picture, and the child starts to cook the fish. Then the bear comes and snatches the fish out of the frying pan! I know from our children that fishing seems to provide endless fascination at this age. We always taught our children to carefully release the fish. Eating them is good too.
The book ends with "We slept in our tent all night long -- just me and my dad." At these ages, children are not always eager to do things without Mom. But Mom needs a break sometimes, and many Dads love to do a little direct bonding which this book will encourage.
The illustrations are bright, lovingly detailed, and humorous in as many ways as possible. They are rendered in either gouache or water color. I couldn't quite tell which medium was used.
Of special note are a tiny cricket or grasshopper and a spider that humorously accompany the father and child. This illustrated story within a story is worth the price of the book alone. Small children will naturally gravitate towards these little creatures and want to point them out with their tiny fingers.
Make wonderful laughing connections with this book!
After your child is comfortable with it, I suggest that you plan a little camping trip to find out how your child likes the actual experience. Naturally, some fishing might be in order!
on June 19, 2015
Came just in time for Father's Day. I ordered this and another Little Critter book for my 1 year old. I remember having these books as a child and I absolutely loved them. My favorite part of the books was the little mouse hiding in each picture. These books are cute little stories with a lesson sometimes. I know my little one will love these books for years to come, just as I did. They came brand new as described. I will be purchasing more.
review image
on November 13, 2003
This book is about a little critter that gets to go on a camping trip with his dad. They do alot of different things together, but the little critter always tried to help his dad with everthing and always messed it up. Even though little critter messed some things up they still had a nice time together.
I would recommend this book to anyone, because its a nice book to read and learn from.
This book teaches that you should spend time with your family and even if you mess anything up still have a nice time with them.
on May 29, 1998
My 2 year old loves this book. She enjoys reading all of the books about Little Critter. This book is her favorite because of the bear and Little Critter's dad. I enjoy reading this book to her since the story is simple enough for her to understand, yet it is still imaginative and fun. She also enjoys sitting and telling the story to her father while looking at the pictures. I would recommend this book to children 2 and up.
on January 16, 2007
It's always easy to find a book relating to the child/mother relationship, but it's a little more difficult finding a book relating to the child/father relationship. So this was quite a delightful find. It was written exceptionally well, and my stepdaughter enjoyed reading it.
on April 22, 2016
I've been looking for a gift for my cousin as a wedding and baby shower gift since last summer. He's very nature centered, they don't like loud toys, expensive clothes or anything of the sort, so when I was offered to review this product at discount (still submitting an unbiased and fair review), I jumped on it! This was PERFECT!

The packaging is beautiful. The instruction card is in color and very detailed with an adorable quote on the back. You get a lot of seeds in each of the little containers, and I loved how they were organized.
Sometimes people are hard to shop for and I would just hate to get my cousin something they won't use and they may just throw away. This gift will serve their whole family and maybe even Thor community! I cannot wait till they receive it!
review image review image review image review image
on November 17, 1999
I remember reading this book as a child. This was one of those books I would pick up time and time again. I don't know how many times I read it.
The wonderful thing about this book and other Mercer Mayer books is his artwork. I remember going through the book and spending 10 or 15 minues on each page, just looking at all of the little critters hiding in each picture.
There are two critters (a mouse and a grasshopper?) that show up somewhere in every picture. Sometimes you have to look very closely, but you'll seem them every time. It's been such a long time since I've read this book, but I came across this listing on Amazon and was immediately nostalgic. This is a book that any age could enjoy. The pictures are a pleasure for little ones to look at and us older folks can enjoy them too.
The story is wonderful and cleverly written too. A father and son go camping and fishing and have all kinds of misadventures. Wow, what memories this one brings back.
on May 23, 2003
You can never go wrong with a Mayer book. They are so fun. Always told from a child's point of view, you can't help but laugh at all the mishaps throughout the book and the innocence in which it is told. In this particular book, Little Critter goes camping with his dad and tries soooo hard to help out but somehow always manages to create a minor disaster. Add in a little 'treasure hunt' of spotting the spider and grasshopper in each picture and you've got quite a little treasure in itself. So, cuddle up with your little audience and enjoy!
on June 3, 2016
Super cute idea for father's day. I am going to let my daughter write a note inside the cover and it will be something for them to do together each night. I used to love these series of books and want to pass it on to my kids. It came well packaged and in perfect condition. This author is great and has really nice idea for story lines. The colors are nice and bright and the attention to details are amazing.
on April 27, 2016
This is another wonderful story by Mercer Mayer about a young boy and his dad going camping in the woods. Little Critter tries to put up the tent but has some trouble, he launches the canoe to hard and puts a hole in it, They go fishing a catch a big fish only to have a big bear come and steal the fist. They make coffee and tell ghost stories before finally drifting off to sleep with the other animals outside the tent.

My daughter loves the simple story and always enjoys looking at the illustrations to go along with the text. The book is pretty short like all the other Mercer Mayer stories. The story has a lot of heart and some of the expressions on the faces always make my daughter laugh. I would easily recommend the book for any parents with toddlers or small children. It is nice to see a dad in son in an actual tent instead of an RV with cable TV. The point is to get away from civilization and enjoy the outdoors. Be one with nature that sort of thing. The only downside is that there is not a few more pages to the story.