5.0 out of 5 stars My Mom
Published on February 12, 2006 by Neil Padukone

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Companion to Just Me and My Dad
Published on June 5, 2012 by Holly M.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Mom, February 12, 2006
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
When I was three or four years old, I saw this book in the window of a book store and asked my mother to buy it for me. Fifteen years later, the book still brings me incredible joy. Beyond the events in the story itself, it represents the connection between a child and his mother; she is analogous to the giving tree in the Shel Silverstein book. She created me, and with that creation, created the incredible world as I am now able to see it through the eyes and mind that she created. Despite any and all of one's faults (losing a train ticket, making a mess in the museum and the fancy restaurant), mother still lives with unconditional love and dedication to the child (smiling off the faults, buying more train tickets, eating a hot dog from a vendor instead of the fancy restaurant). A wonderful book, truly makes one appreciate the world and its female creator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Critter always gets big "Hoorays"!, July 9, 2001
Leslie Muhlbach (Massillon, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
Little Critter books are my two year old's favorite books. He feels in touch with Critter and easily identifies with many of Critters adventures. "Just Me and My Mom" is also a favorite of mine, for obvious reasons. Parents can also pick up on little lessons in parenting. "Just Me and My Mom" teaches children that being adventuresome can also get you into trouble if you're not careful. Independence is rewarded however, children need to learn about being responsible for losing money (tickets), not wandering from parents in public places, respecting authority, and obeying the rules. Mercer Mayer's illustrations are aslo filled with activity and hidden critters. Every time we read his books we find something new on every page. This book is a wonderful look at a day a tourism from the eyes of a child. I applaud this and and every book by this talented author/illustrator.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Companion to Just Me and My Dad, June 5, 2012
Holly M. (Maryland (DC)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
My little brother (now in his 30s) grew up to Mercer Mayer's Just Me and My Dad and Just For You. I bought those last year for our then-one-year-olds and was delighted that they were just as wonderful as I remembered. I ordered Just Me and My Mom recently and I'm so disappointed with the content. Unlike Just Me and My Dad, which has a sweet and happy story line, this book is just about Little Critter doing things he's not supposed to and people getting mad.

And, call me a feminist if you will, but I felt slighted by this book's treatment of the mom. Just Me and My Dad is all about an awesome camping trip little critter goes on with his dad, while Just Me and My Mom is all about this poor kid getting dragged to a bunch of boring museums where he's not allowed to touch things (and one with a bunch of lame pictures), and then a dress store with his mom. In fact, my husband was reading it to the kids the other night and I heard him flipping back through the pages, muttering to himself, "When was this WRITTEN?"

Shockingly, 1990. Feels more like the 1950s. And not that sexy John Hamm sort of way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, August 6, 2007
Cudlebug79 "Hugs =)" (Tualatin, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
Mercer Mayer always captures the sweet moments in life that we over look as adults. This story shares the fun adventure a Mom can have with her child one on one with a special trip out. He also captures the small mishaps that can come out of a little one's eagerness to help and curiosity about the world around them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favorite book!, December 20, 2007
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
My son and I love this book. As a single mom, I love being able to read a cute story with my son that focuses strictly on mom-n-me time.

I personally think the above poster's assessment that the little critter is misbehaving and breaking rules is rather silly. He's just little and didn't know any better! The point of reading these stories with your children is to teach them the difference between right and wrong. They afford us those opportunities!

Thumbs up on this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that I don't mind reading again & again!, February 6, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
As it chronicles a day with Mom, this book provides interesting pictures and opportunities to discuss some imporant issues like staying with mom in public places. Mercer Mayer manages to provide adult interest with humorous illustrations and by presenting situations that most parents hope to avoid but just might happen on "one of those days."

2.0 out of 5 stars Not near as good as the Dad version, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
As noted by others, this story features the main character getting into a lot of trouble. We bought it because we loved the "dad" version and we are very disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book still, January 1, 2006
C. Unonu "C.T.U." (Washington D.C. Metro) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
This is not much of a review, but as a 20-something I still give accounts of this book to others as being one of my all time favorites. It's a must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not our favorite - but still read often, September 22, 2009
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
This Little Critter book is a little less inviting than the others. Firstly, there is no cricket or spider to find - you find a frog. The pictures are great, but the dialogue is not as creative as some of the others. As a mommy, I was a little disappointed in "my" version of these books and find my son enjoys the Grandma and Dad books versions more - which I can see why. Still, it is in our collection and is the "chosen" bedtime story on occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute, November 5, 2014
Berry32 (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) (Paperback)
My four year old loves Mercer Meyer books, so I usually try to get him one a week. This book proved to be just as wonderful as the others. With bright colors, a great story line that is easy for any child to follow, bright colors, and wonderful pictures, it keeps my child entertained as I read to him. I love this one paticularly because it is about him and his mom, just like my son and I. This story is all about him going to the city with his mom and the adventures they come to experience. Wonderful story.

Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book)
Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book) by Mercer Mayer (Paperback - October 9, 2001)
$3.99