Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 12, 2006
When I was three or four years old, I saw this book in the window of a book store and asked my mother to buy it for me. Fifteen years later, the book still brings me incredible joy. Beyond the events in the story itself, it represents the connection between a child and his mother; she is analogous to the giving tree in the Shel Silverstein book. She created me, and with that creation, created the incredible world as I am now able to see it through the eyes and mind that she created. Despite any and all of one's faults (losing a train ticket, making a mess in the museum and the fancy restaurant), mother still lives with unconditional love and dedication to the child (smiling off the faults, buying more train tickets, eating a hot dog from a vendor instead of the fancy restaurant). A wonderful book, truly makes one appreciate the world and its female creator.
0Comment33 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2012
My little brother (now in his 30s) grew up to Mercer Mayer's Just Me and My Dad and Just For You. I bought those last year for our then-one-year-olds and was delighted that they were just as wonderful as I remembered. I ordered Just Me and My Mom recently and I'm so disappointed with the content. Unlike Just Me and My Dad, which has a sweet and happy story line, this book is just about Little Critter doing things he's not supposed to and people getting mad.

And, call me a feminist if you will, but I felt slighted by this book's treatment of the mom. Just Me and My Dad is all about an awesome camping trip little critter goes on with his dad, while Just Me and My Mom is all about this poor kid getting dragged to a bunch of boring museums where he's not allowed to touch things (and one with a bunch of lame pictures), and then a dress store with his mom. In fact, my husband was reading it to the kids the other night and I heard him flipping back through the pages, muttering to himself, "When was this WRITTEN?"

Shockingly, 1990. Feels more like the 1950s. And not that sexy John Hamm sort of way.
22 comments26 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2001
Little Critter books are my two year old's favorite books. He feels in touch with Critter and easily identifies with many of Critters adventures. "Just Me and My Mom" is also a favorite of mine, for obvious reasons. Parents can also pick up on little lessons in parenting. "Just Me and My Mom" teaches children that being adventuresome can also get you into trouble if you're not careful. Independence is rewarded however, children need to learn about being responsible for losing money (tickets), not wandering from parents in public places, respecting authority, and obeying the rules. Mercer Mayer's illustrations are aslo filled with activity and hidden critters. Every time we read his books we find something new on every page. This book is a wonderful look at a day a tourism from the eyes of a child. I applaud this and and every book by this talented author/illustrator.
on December 20, 2007
My son and I love this book. As a single mom, I love being able to read a cute story with my son that focuses strictly on mom-n-me time.

I personally think the above poster's assessment that the little critter is misbehaving and breaking rules is rather silly. He's just little and didn't know any better! The point of reading these stories with your children is to teach them the difference between right and wrong. They afford us those opportunities!

Thumbs up on this one!
on August 6, 2007
Mercer Mayer always captures the sweet moments in life that we over look as adults. This story shares the fun adventure a Mom can have with her child one on one with a special trip out. He also captures the small mishaps that can come out of a little one's eagerness to help and curiosity about the world around them.
on June 5, 2012
As noted by others, this story features the main character getting into a lot of trouble. We bought it because we loved the "dad" version and we are very disappointed
on February 6, 1999
As it chronicles a day with Mom, this book provides interesting pictures and opportunities to discuss some imporant issues like staying with mom in public places. Mercer Mayer manages to provide adult interest with humorous illustrations and by presenting situations that most parents hope to avoid but just might happen on "one of those days."
on January 1, 2006
This is not much of a review, but as a 20-something I still give accounts of this book to others as being one of my all time favorites. It's a must read.
on January 22, 2013
I got this book for my son. We are a single parent house and I thought it would be a good book to discuss things that moms and sons do together for fun.
Instead, the story basically is about the mom taking Critter to all these places and losing her temper with him bc he gets into mischief at each place.
Yes, it ends with the typical "I love you son" ending, but all the pages before were rather discouraging.
He has the Dad and me book and it talks about how him and his dad do things together and how he wants to be just like his dad. I had hoped this one would be similar - but definately not...
Disappointed.
on October 11, 2015
I was hoping for a sweet story about a mom and her son, but this missed the mark for us. It's basically about a little boy that can't do anything right and his frustrated mother. I think it would have been better if there were a nice moment to balance out each bad one.
review image