Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just Me and My Mom (A Little Critter Book)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 5, 2012
My little brother (now in his 30s) grew up to Mercer Mayer's Just Me and My Dad and Just For You. I bought those last year for our then-one-year-olds and was delighted that they were just as wonderful as I remembered. I ordered Just Me and My Mom recently and I'm so disappointed with the content. Unlike Just Me and My Dad, which has a sweet and happy story line, this book is just about Little Critter doing things he's not supposed to and people getting mad.

And, call me a feminist if you will, but I felt slighted by this book's treatment of the mom. Just Me and My Dad is all about an awesome camping trip little critter goes on with his dad, while Just Me and My Mom is all about this poor kid getting dragged to a bunch of boring museums where he's not allowed to touch things (and one with a bunch of lame pictures), and then a dress store with his mom. In fact, my husband was reading it to the kids the other night and I heard him flipping back through the pages, muttering to himself, "When was this WRITTEN?"

Shockingly, 1990. Feels more like the 1950s. And not that sexy John Hamm sort of way.
on February 12, 2006
When I was three or four years old, I saw this book in the window of a book store and asked my mother to buy it for me. Fifteen years later, the book still brings me incredible joy. Beyond the events in the story itself, it represents the connection between a child and his mother; she is analogous to the giving tree in the Shel Silverstein book. She created me, and with that creation, created the incredible world as I am now able to see it through the eyes and mind that she created. Despite any and all of one's faults (losing a train ticket, making a mess in the museum and the fancy restaurant), mother still lives with unconditional love and dedication to the child (smiling off the faults, buying more train tickets, eating a hot dog from a vendor instead of the fancy restaurant). A wonderful book, truly makes one appreciate the world and its female creator.
on October 11, 2015
I was hoping for a sweet story about a mom and her son, but this missed the mark for us. It's basically about a little boy that can't do anything right and his frustrated mother. I think it would have been better if there were a nice moment to balance out each bad one.
review image
on July 9, 2001
Little Critter books are my two year old's favorite books. He feels in touch with Critter and easily identifies with many of Critters adventures. "Just Me and My Mom" is also a favorite of mine, for obvious reasons. Parents can also pick up on little lessons in parenting. "Just Me and My Mom" teaches children that being adventuresome can also get you into trouble if you're not careful. Independence is rewarded however, children need to learn about being responsible for losing money (tickets), not wandering from parents in public places, respecting authority, and obeying the rules. Mercer Mayer's illustrations are aslo filled with activity and hidden critters. Every time we read his books we find something new on every page. This book is a wonderful look at a day a tourism from the eyes of a child. I applaud this and and every book by this talented author/illustrator.
on January 22, 2013
I got this book for my son. We are a single parent house and I thought it would be a good book to discuss things that moms and sons do together for fun.
Instead, the story basically is about the mom taking Critter to all these places and losing her temper with him bc he gets into mischief at each place.
Yes, it ends with the typical "I love you son" ending, but all the pages before were rather discouraging.
He has the Dad and me book and it talks about how him and his dad do things together and how he wants to be just like his dad. I had hoped this one would be similar - but definately not...
Disappointed.
on December 20, 2007
My son and I love this book. As a single mom, I love being able to read a cute story with my son that focuses strictly on mom-n-me time.

I personally think the above poster's assessment that the little critter is misbehaving and breaking rules is rather silly. He's just little and didn't know any better! The point of reading these stories with your children is to teach them the difference between right and wrong. They afford us those opportunities!

Thumbs up on this one!
on December 10, 2015
I was so disappointed in this book. I grew up reading little critter books & I have always enjoyed them. A few that my children & I enjoy are "Just me and my puppy", "The new baby" & "The New Potty" book. This book just hit me the wrong way. I expected it to be funny and cute all in one like the other critter books. This was more annoying. The boy got in trouble like he usually does but it was not in a funny way. When describing the boy's outing with his mother it was very negative. For example, one part mentions his mom wanted to go shopping for clothes & he says "yuck" but it wasn't the funny way you would react to. He gets into trouble too during it and it just takes away the cuteness of the story. Typically, if he did something he shouldn't be doing he didn't get into trouble. At least nothing was really said negatively to him about it. I liked the books set up like that. It was a good lesson time for me to talk to my kids about what the parent is thinking at that moment. Plus we could have a giggle at the naughty things he was doing. He reminded me of curious george I guess. This book doesn't come across like that, though. I would have liked something more encouraging instead of so negative hanging around his mom, too. I expected them to go out & do fun things together but he would do something out of curiosity & it would be naughty and funny. Instead he loses tickets to the bus & it's just not funny, but sad.
on May 29, 2015
I bought a bunch of these for different family members. Can't beat the price! I liked the themes and context....Grandpa, Dad, Grandma, etc. But they're very thin, lower quality paper. I guess that's reflected in the price. They don't have many pages, stores I very short and the illustrations are often very very busy. Almost to the point that my son has a hard time focusing on the story. So for us, they weren't a good fit. There arew better books where he can learn more and we can still tell a good story before bedtime.
on August 21, 2015
Okay, I lied. I don't really personally like this book. I love the Little Critter series, but this wasn't a great fit for me and my son, just because of the activities they do. It's pretty stereotypical things you would do with you mom. So, for most people, this is probably awesome. For a single mom who is fairly outdoorsy or doesn't like shopping or "girly" things in the big city, meh- maybe not what you are looking for.
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2013
Continuing the tradition of reading Little Critter to each new generation, I acquired this book after realizing our old copy had gone missing from our collection.

This book is somewhat old, and may offend some by its "traditional" or previous American standards. That is to say, whenever Mayer writes about spending time with the father Critter it's usually about sports or the great outdoors; whenever it's about the mom it's usually shopping or cooking or cleaning. So that's a caveat to the modern reader.
These things never bothered me as a kid; I don't think I even realized them. As adults, of course we pay more attention to these things, but recall that it's a pretty old book with older standards in mind.

With that for thought, this book like other Mayer-exclusives where the artwork is simply outstanding and the text and word usage is age-appropriate. My daughter never sits still, though, and loves to nab the book from my hands and pore through the pages herself.
The books these days are thinner than my older copies--obviously a reduction in material quality. They still hold up through my daughter's forced page-turns, so no worries there.

For every book we're missing from our LC collection, she (and our subsequent children) will receive one for each holiday and birthday. When my siblings have their own children, the library will be passed down until our grandchildren, and hopefully their children thereafter.