Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States"
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$10.15 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's always amazing the number of typos which make it into print and how funny some of them can be. Add to that the number of "auto-corrected" messages these days, blunders on signs, etc..etc.. and you get just a peek at what is waiting for you in this book.

I was literally laughing out loud in sections and shaking my head in others.

Well worth the price and the time to read.. probably over and over again.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Too bad I can't say the same. I'm notorious for typos. I try and proofread what my spell checker doesn't catch, and still miss many, especially is rushed for time. So the editors stand guard, and still some slip through. The author didn't address a question, or at least an intuition, that some typos slip through intentionally. I guess as an editor that's just not proper thinking.
I found this book to be a keeper in that it is fun to go back over some that I highlighted as reading: from freshly-blown noses[roses]; Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan was in the hospital for an enlarged prostitute[prostate]; French widow in every bedroom; and too many to site here without making a book out of it. Then there were those stories that added to the depth of the mistake like in the context of No price to high[No - price too high]. The texting errors was a great chapter; as were many other chapters covering a wide range of errors in many aspects of the English language.
My favorite though was the Hooter waitress who won a brand new Toyota[brand new toy Yoda].
Suffice to say I recommend this for those want a good laugh, chuckle, or just a tickle from the communicating fingers that typing follies produce.
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2014
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Drummond Moir has gathered together a collection of typographical errors, misprints and misspellings in this book that will have you laughing out loud. I have been in the publishing business for years and learned a long time ago that despite all the best efforts to proofread for errors many do slip by. That is just a fact. Often times these mistakes can be funny and other times just plain embarrassing to the editor or publisher. One thing I can guarantee is that you will get a laugh reading through all these slip-ups. You will find typos from literature, newspapers, gastronomic and legal sources. Don’t miss the section gleaned from historical and political material. Enjoy laughing at others mistakes but remember no body is perfect!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm an editor, so I spend a lot of time being pained by typos and grammar problems that I read everywhere. This little book is pretty darn funny. I don't have a collection of these books, like other reviewers must have, so I was pretty entertained.

"erratum--in our last number, in speaking of General P, the types made us call him a bottle-scarred veteran. The printer should have made it battle-scared." Pg 91

I recommend this for a giggle and a gift for your favorite editor.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Anyone who has ever made a mistake will find this book reassuring as they are not alone. If you have agonized over an error, don't worry, you're not alone, nor have you been for centuries. This book is loaded with hysterically funny examples of how famous people, scholars, literary figures, kids, etc. have messed up with unintentionally and sometimes embarrassing typos.

Since I work in the writing trade, this is the sort of book I would love to share with those I work with -- but I cannot. A lot of these typos are off-color and might offend people.

There are people who have a belief system, which I fully respect, which makes such material unacceptable. So keep that in mind.

However, in the corporate world, there are amoral people who could hurt you with this book, even if they're not the one to whom you shared the book. If even one person decides she or he is "offended" (or just want to take you down for some reason or other) can bring this book to Human Resources as a grievance and you could be either terminated or branded, sometimes permanently. Companies fear lawsuits from ladies/gentlemen who see a lottery payment in their future for an "offense," even they are lying. Companies cannot take the chance. And so the unprincipled use this as a tool for revenge and personal gain - even advancement.

It would be nice if there were a "G"-rated version for sharing or giving as gifts.
on August 31, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Over the course of the past week I read (or rather giggled through) JUST MY TYPO by Drummond Moir. The subtitle gives a clear hint about what is to be found within:

From "Sinning with the choir" to "The Untied States".

JUST MY TYPO is a compendium of well-documented typos arranged in twelve hilarious chapters. I recall once upon a time reading a list of typos from church bulletins to a class. I got so tickled that I could barely read it. Not everyone thought it was as funny as I did, but I still love to see a good typo. I'm working hard not to create a typo in this post about a book filled with typos.

Typos often create an idea that was not intended by the author. That is, unless Freud was correct when he wrote, "There are times when the most insignificant slip in writing can serve to express a dangerous secret meaning" (p. 130). Even so, a misplaced letter or absence of necessary punctuation can change the meaning of an innocent sentence into a ribald suggestion. Sometimes those can be embarrassing or even produce an unintended profanity (of which there are some in this book). A few milder samples ...

It took many rabbits many years to write the Talmud. (Holland Evening Sentinel, Michigan)

French widow in every bedroom. (Hotel advertisement)

Do not sue Vicks Sinex for longer than 7 days without medical advice. (Packaging for Vicks Sinex spray)

Seen in a church bulletin: Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say "hell" to someone who doesn't care much about you.

I once saw a very disconcerting shop sign that simply read: "WE ARE CLOSE."

That should give you some of the flavor of the book. Author Drummond Moir grew up in Edinburgh and studied at St. Anne’s College, Oxford, and Daiichi Keizai University in Fukuoka, Japan. Now based in London, he is Editorial Director of Sceptre, one of the UK’s leading literary imprints. He has researched well and produced a thoroughly entertaining book. Grammarians will love this book, I know I certainly did. I highly recommend it for many smiles.
on August 5, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
"If you feel cold, put on a sweater,
crap yourself in a blanket, or turn up the heat."

Be honest, could you really resist a book that has that on the cover?

Compiler Drummond Moir pulled me in from the minute I picked up Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "The Untied States". What started as a quick trip to the mailbox turned into a prolonged state of just-one-more-page that interfered with everything that should have come after the mailbox trip! This book is absolutely hilarious and had me laughing so hard I was wheezing, the ultimate compliment from yours truly.

My son, Gonzo, desperately wanted to snatch this book from my greedy little hands, but he had to wait till I read it through. I'll probably read it again when he is finished. At just under two hundred pages, it is a quick read and worth it.

Just My Typo attacks the subject matter without apology. It's the bane of writers, editors and bloggers alike - the dreaded typo. Typos are seen in every form of printed media, and I'll bet there are even some misspelled hieroglyphics that archaeologists struggle to comprehend at this very moment. This topic needed the Moir touch, apparently, and he has done a great job at compiling a really enjoyable read.

Cleverly organized into categories with more than a touch of snark, Moir skillfully addresses all forms from the mildly amusing typo ("Germans are so small that there may be as many as one billion seven hundred million of them in a drop of water.") to the absolutely killer ("The man blew his brains out after bidding his wife goodbye with a shotgun."). Two of my favorite chapter names were "Immaculate Contraption: kids typos" and "Life and Death: when typos kill." They delivered all that the names implied.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when someone realized that a 1631 edition of the Bible contained the instruction, "Thou shalt commit adultery."

Drummond Moir grew up in Edinburgh and studied at St. Anne's College, Oxford, and Daiichi Keizai University in Fukuoka, Japan. Moir is currently based in London, UK, where he is the Editorial Director of Sceptre.

For the record, Mr. Moir, I've read this blog review ten times, certain that a typo exists on this page. Well played, sir; well played.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
on August 3, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
A couple of years ago, my mom finally succumbed to the notion of texting. I didn't know that she had bought a new phone with a keyboard until I got this text from her one afternoon: "I cam text now."

Well, no, Mom, apparently you're still struggling.

Maybe I laughed too much at her typo - she was new to the typing-on-a-phone thing, after all - but I do appreciate irony. I also tend to be a bit of a spelling and grammar nazi - a confession which will undoubtedly ensure that the rest of this post is riddled with grammatical errors and misspellings, so let's just go ahead and say that if there are any, they were done on purpose, mmmkay?

All that is to say that when I had the opportunity to review a book called Just My Typo by Drummond Moir, I didn't think twice.

Check out the text beneath the title: sinning with the choir? The Untied States? In case you can't read the note protruding from the typewriter, it gives the following helpful instructions: "If you feel cold, put on a sweater, crap yourself in a blanket, or turn up the heat." Well, at least they used an Oxford comma.

This book is divided into twelve chapters that document different types of typos. There are typos in literature, in the media, typos with historical and political significance, typos abroad, gastronomic typos, legal and expensive typos, futuristic typos and typos by kids, holy typos, typos of a romantic persuasion (which has the best chapter title of all: "The Best Love in the Whore World"), and typos that kill. I just hate it when that happens.

As you can well imagine, each category had some truly great entries. A few favorites include:

All work cheaply and nearly done.

Illegally parked cars will be fine.

This manual has been carefully to remove any errors.

Some of the best errors showed up in the Typos Abroad chapter:

Fresh Crap: $8.99/LB

Specialist in women and other diseases

French widow in every bedroom

However, quite a few of the typos weren't truly funny. They were just...well, typos. For instance, one submitter noted that, "a medical book I worked on had a disclaimer saying the publisher and author are responsible for any consequences that may arise from following the advice set forth within these pages." Well, that's an unfortunate typo, if the book happened to be read by the litigious sort. But ultimately, it's just a commonplace typo, nothing hilariously noteworthy.

There were also quite a few instances in which the typo turned an innocent word into something less innocent...resulting in profanity or crass terms for body parts. Take the realtor typos, for instances - I wouldn't be crazy about the "heated poo in backyard," but I definitely don't any parts of the "huge d*ck in back for entertaining" or the "beautiful bi*ch cabinets." I was hoping that this would be a book I could share with my similarly word-nerdy 10-year-old, but this is definitely not one that I'll be passing down.

All in all, Just My Typo was a quick and entertaining read. Personally, I enjoyed the one-liners - such as the ones I've shared here - more than the typos that required long, explanatory narratives, but most of those were interesting and humorous as well. Wordy folks such as myself will appreciate this one...but if English was never your favorite class, you may miss some of the best jokes.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review.
on July 14, 2014
Format: Paperback
I was pretty excited when I saw this on the list of offerings in my Blogging For Books account, so I immediately selected it to be sent my way for a review. It arrived this afternoon, and I surely wasn't disappointed.

First off, Just My Typo is a collection of hilarious typos. It is not the kind of book you can expect to spend very long reading. In one sitting, it took me less than an hour to polish off this collection of gems. However, I was laughing the whole time. Some of these would be fun to Tweet, share with friends, or read aloud at the beginning of a class. I can see my husband using these in his high school English classroom to illustrate the importance of things like proofreading and paying attention.

Since the days of Benjamin Franklin (and even before, as one might recall is the case in "the Wicked Bible," a printing of the Bible in which a typo instructs readers to commit adultery), humans have been amused by, frustrated by, humiliated by, and fascinated with typos. Franklin himself authored an article entitled "Printers' Errors" in 1729, in which he includes, and then discusses various typos, much to the delight of his readers, I'm sure. And, if we're being honest, not much has changed.

As humans, we don't want to make mistakes, and we certainly don't want attention drawn to the mistakes we do make... but we sure don't mind pointing out the mistakes of others and then laughing at them wholeheartedly. To that end, Just My Typo includes several themed sections, including:

To Be or To Be: typos in literature
The Fourth Mistake: typos in the media
The Word Stage: typos of historical & political significance
The Lingua Franca: typos abroad
Food for Thought: gastronomic typos
Crime and Punishment: legal typos
The Cost of a Comma: the most expensive typos
Autocorrect Dystopia: the future of the typo
Immaculate Contraption: kids' typos
Miisprints of Biblical Proportions: holy typos
The Best Love in the Whore World: typos of a romantic persuasion
Life and Death: when typos kill

At the end, readers are encouraged to email their favorite funny typos to Justmytypo@hodder.co.uk , with the chance for the best ones to be included in future editions.

All in all, this book is exactly what it claims to be: an amusing collection of typos. If you're interested in that kind of thing, then you will enjoy Just My Typo.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"Just My Typo," compiled by London-based editorial director Drummond Moir, is a collection of misspelled words, malapropisms, and errors in punctuation that range from the silly to the scatological. Who commits these blunders? Among the culprits are children, bureaucrats, doctors, lawyers, reporters, businessmen, job seekers, and closed-caption writers. In short, all of us are prone to conveying our ideas incorrectly in our letters, emails, articles, term papers, and text messages. "We all make mistakes," Moir assures us, "regardless of how meticulous we are...."

So what is the purpose of this book? Since typos are inevitable, the author tells us, "We might as well enjoy them." It is too bad that many of Moir's so-called howlers are only mildly amusing. In addition, the same ones are repeated so often that, even if they were initially comical, they are no longer funny by the fourth or fifth reiteration. The goofs that will likely make you laugh are by kids: "Chaucer was the father of English pottery," "Rambo was a famous French poet," and "Hell hath no fury like a woman's corn."

Moir points out that, besides being embarrassing, typos can be costly (reprinting is not cheap), may confuse and/or mislead the reader, and sometimes reveal subconscious feelings or thoughts (Freudian "slips of the pen"). This brief work of non-fiction could be a useful tool for writing teachers who want to emphasize the importance of proofreading and revision. We rarely spot all of our own slipups, even after checking our copy several times over. That is why careful writers are grateful for the assistance of fastidious and knowledgeable editors.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations