4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire books
Published on August 26, 2009 by Faye R. Salmon

2.0 out of 5 stars Good authors, not-so-good stories...
Let me just preface this review by saying that I like all three authors in this anthology and was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, the anticipation was better than the actual reading, and here's why:

Published on October 1, 2006 by Cassie S.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good authors, not-so-good stories..., October 1, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)

The first story, by Ashley, was my favorite of the three. It told the tale of an author of vampire nonfiction who was staying at a vampire-themed Vegas hotel, where she met a hot master vampire. She thinks he is finally going to give an interview for her new book, but he thinks she's the woman he needs for a "blood slave" to restore his power. I enjoyed this story because I liked the characters. I even found myself liking the main bad guy at the end. Seems like there's room for a sequel or two here. There were a few problems, though. There was a complicated dead/living vamp distinction that was never clearly explained, and I could have used more backstory.

MacAlister's story was about a revenant counselor (she counsels new zombies) with a spirit guide. Through a series of extremely confusing twists she meets Sebastian, a Dark One who is out for revenge & is convinced she's his Beloved. I normally love MacAlister, but in this story the humor seemed over-the-top and forced. Things happened with little to no explanation. I felt like I needed to go back and read all her other books because I couldn't remember all the backstory. The characters weren't all that likeable (mostly because they weren't that well developed) and I had trouble getting through this one.

The last story was by Minda Webber. I thought her historical vampire books were great, so I figured I would love this story. Not so, unfortunately. Her heroine is the hostess of a cheesy paranormal talk show. She longs to have a "real story" instead of all the fluff she does. She stumbles upon a story when she finds out about a particularly nasty form of incubus loose in the city, but she's thwarted at every turn by her ex, the sexy vampire cop she never got over. This story had potential, but it wasn't carried out. The heroine was alternately whiny, bratty, and judgemental, and she was constantly spouting horrible sayings that were supposed to be Southern. Ugh! What an insult to Southerners! The hero was barely developed, so I was never able to see why she liked him (or why he would even consider taking this whiny jerk back). The incubus angle was never really resolved, as the previous reviewer pointed out, so I was left feeling cheated out of a real ending.

Overall I felt that this book was a poor read, and one that was very unworthy of these talented authors! I hope their next efforts are a bit more developed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Soooo many alliterations, so few pages; and yet they stil drug on..., October 11, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
My reason for buying this book: Katie MacAlister. I love her books, she's always imaginative, and can always manage to make me , at the very least, chuckle a little if not laugh out loud.

I did neither with her story "Bring Out Your Dead". It had promise, and at the beginning I thought I might be able to get into it. But spirit guide just killed it for me. Nowhere on the book did it say that one needed a basic understanding of the French language to understand the dialogue in this story. Sally the spirit guide is supposedly speaking some mangled version of her own type of french, and I gather from the other characters reactions to her dialogue that it is supposed to be funny. Not that what she is saying is funny, but the act of mangling the language is supposed to be joke. But as I DON'T SPEAK FRENCH, I can't tell what she is saying, what she isn't saying, or what she is trying to say.

This same technique worked pretty well for MacAlister in a different book that featured a latin swordsman that spoke with spanish flourish, but the basic meaning of what he was trying to say came through, here it just confused the hell out me.I also think I prefer her full lenght books where she had the time to develop the history as well as the story somewhat more.

Minda Webber's story was choppy and problematic with a twist of unrealism. I know this is a paranormal book and realism shouldn't be called into question. I am referring to relationship with Lucy and Val. Their conflict goes from being monumental on both their parts, to Lucy begging for him to tell her went wrong, with no real transition in between. I just found it unrealistic that a somewhat strong character could go from one extreme to the other, with no catalyst for any kind of transition. Also, and this is when I gave up forever on this story, she ends up on her knees begging him to stay. Again, a strong proud woman on her knees begging for forgiveness when it was a mutual misunderstanding and she had some rights in being upset about what she saw. It was demeaning to women.

I don't know which more of slap in the face, Lucy as she "fell to her knees, taking his hand in hers and bathing it with her kisses and tears" all the while telling him she was stupid and sorry; OR the sheer volume of horrible hokey alliterations littered throught this short story. I mean every other paragraph, sometimes two to a single paragraph; "villianous vampiress" "viperous vampiress" and others just as painfull go on forever. One or two = cute One or two every couple paragraphs = sad and painful. I was sorely disappointed.

On the upside, the first story by Jennefer Ashley did have some redeeming qualities in that there few if any alliterations and nobody spoke a different language without interpretation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vampire anthology, October 2, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
The first story by Jennifer Ashley was somewhat different in that the Master Vampire had to have a willing sacrafice to renew his powers. Meredith Black has come for an interview with the reclusive owner of Transylvania Castle, a hotel and casino in Las Vegas. Stefen Erickson is a master vamp who needs to be recharged. He chooses Meredith when he sees her on the hotel video camera. He needs a blood slave, however Meredith in not exactly easy to control.

The story was a little uneven but they finally find their way. It was readable.

The Second was the reason I bought the book, I like Katie McAlister books. I was lucky because this is the story of Sebastion and Noelle, secondary characters from one of her other novels. I enjoyed the story.

The Third was interesting but not outstanding, in fact none of them were that good. This one started out well but somehow the reason for their break-up was not really believable and the length of time they stayed apart was just wrong. Finally she had to beg a bit too much at the end.

If you don't have anything else to read it is O K.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a buy. But typical of short stories, some threads were lost., October 1, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
All three stories were fun, fast and amusing. I got this book for Katie MacAlister and to find out what happened to Sebastian and Noelle.

1: Viva Las Vampires

I liked the chemistry between the characters. All the characters. The story was cute, but I still don't really know who the characters are and why they are. There was an attempt to explain, but the explanation wasn't good enough. Was the book Meredith wrote the one book she wrote and if she thought she was getting an interview why didn't she have a notebook with her when she went to the penthouse? I do hope there will be another story with Armand that gives more of this world she's created. More of his past, and brings in more of Eric and Meredith, because of his "like" for Meredith, where she can elaborate more on who they are.

2: Bring Out Your Dead

If it weren't for the tie in's to other books and a pickup of a couple of past story threads this would have been better. I was too often asking myself to remember past stories and what I remember of Sebastian, this was not the Sebastian that I remembered, so that mucked up the characterization for me. Noelle didn't get enough play so I couldn't reconcile her love lost to what Sebastian had become and how he could be so careless of Noelle's feelings.

The use of Damian, who I guess I should remember from a past book, was a waste. One minute he's in fear and when Sebastian arrives he's so calm and uncaring of his life. Very odd.

Yasbelle, I still don't understand who she is, why she is and how she rates a spirit guide.

3:Lucy and the Crypt Casanova

I liked this story the best. Perhaps I could relate better to the klutziness of Lucy and the fight scene in the ally with her falling in the food and clomping around with a box on her foot was just great.

I don't know exactly what her plan was in getting the story about the Ka incubus. It all seems so half hearted with no real purpose and when he's caught she takes no advantage to tell the story. Also, she learns from the Voodoo guy who loves his doll, about the Ka incubus, and that there is a way the victims, who aren't dead, can get some of their youth back? Did they get their youth back? Did the gris gris bag help at all?

I would like to see a more involved book with they two characters as they re-establish their relationship while both working in their respective jobs, TV Host and Detective. I think this would be fun.

All three stories would have been better with more to the. An usually the more is the character development, which, I would expect, would automatically tie up these loose threads. While I can enjoy the humor and potential of these types of stories it does take away, for me, these little things are apparently only needed to push the story but don't mean anything over all. I know these writers are better than this last sentiment, so perhaps they are too confined by short stories and should think better of doing them in the future.

Bottom-line this is a buy. I expect they will help or lead to or be a good addition to the writer's paranormal series for the worlds they have built.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., October 25, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
*** Not too many people pull out their bags of tricks for Halloween these days, but it's a fine time to get treated by the best in paranormal romanticists. In this anthology, three of them tickle the readers' funny bones on the subject of vampires. Ms. Ashley gives us an author investigating vampires in Vegas and finding more than she bargained for. Ms. Macalister returns us to the world of Dark Ones and their Beloveds, showing us again why she is "beloved" by her fans. The collection ends on a high note as Minda Webber proves her contemporary paranormal writing is just as much quirky fun as her historical when a talk show host specializing in the outre gets a chance to confront her feelings for a vampire cop, the only man she ever loved. You should definitely leave a light on while reading these stories, though. It is hard to read in the dark and you won't want to miss a word. ***

Reviewed by Amanda Killgore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire books, August 26, 2009
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
Just One Sip has three different, but very good authors. If you never read the books Dark Ones by Katie Macalister i would say you would be missing a good part of the story if you did not read Bring Out Your Dead.This story give you the inside look of two lovers and how they found each other.If you like books with Vampires ,love ,friendship and how they became to be together then these books are for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT SURPRISE!, August 22, 2009
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought I was getting a Katie MacAlister book the Dark Ones book 5 but I got a book with 3 short stories. Katie's story was good as always and I loved Jennifer Ashley. I'm glad I discovered her! Minda Webber was good too, very modern up to date paranormal romance (soap opera like).
GREAT READ, thanks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires.. 3 ways..., June 15, 2009
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
Book was interesting.. bought it for the Katie MacAllister, Sebastian's "Dark One's" story. The other 2 stories were interesting and entertaining. The difference in "vampiric" styles was very unique. All 2 stories had very different perceptions of how vampires work. A worthy read :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just too fun!, September 12, 2009
My take... (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
Katie Macalister writes with humour and depth to her characters. The book has a plot that is surprisingly good for what might be termed a light hearted book. Not always fun and games for the characters with the story holding surprises until the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars three amusing and interesting vampiric romantic fantasies, October 4, 2006
This review is from: Just One Sip (Mass Market Paperback)
"Viva Las Vampires" by Jennifer Ashley. Reporter Meredith Black seeks to interview Vegas hotelier Stefan Erickson, owner of Transylvania Castle hotel. Vampiric Stefan seeks Meredith too for personal reasons. However as his eyes seem to devour her, she wonders whether he seeks her for a fast nip or eternal cocktails for two.

"Bring Out Your Dead" by Katie MacAlister. Zombie life coach and English instructor to the undead Ysabelle Raleigh meets Sebastian, a vampire who claims she is his long lost Beloved. She scoffs at his insistence though she thinks he is kind of cute. He must persuade her that he is serious and not just handing out a line for a quick bite. He must win her heart in between battling despondent zombies and a teenage vampire.

"Lucy and the Crypt Casanova" by Minda Webber. TV talk show hostess Lucy Campbell has interviewed the paranormal and supernatural for several years. Now she is teaming up with the last being she wants to be near anywhere in the universe, her ex, a vampire detective. Still she has little choice as she investigates, along side the man who stomped on her soul, a murder allegedly committed by an incubus.

These are three amusing and interesting vampiric romantic fantasies starring likable protagonists who will take a bite of time out of sub-genre fans.

Harriet Klausner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Just One Sip
Just One Sip by Katie MacAlister (Mass Market Paperback - October 1, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01