Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just Take a Bite: Easy, Effective Answers to Food Aversions and Eating Challenges!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 26, 2005
The cover of Just Take a Bite is adorable. My nine-year old son has severe autism, is non-verbal and has feeding deficits. For three years now he has been attending feeding therapy.

The chapter covering the stages of sensory development for eating was very informative. This is very similar to what has been utilized in the feeding therapy we attend on a weekly basis.

The case studies are highlighted in gray throughout the chapters. The ages range from babies through elementary age. Issues covered include steps to create a meal or snack schedule, awareness of movement, limited communication skills, vestibular movement, behavioral factors and visual stimuli.

Each chapter has a gray box with an exercise in eating, which are tips and guidelines for the specific area being discussed. There is a table listing textures with a description, example of foods with this texture and how the child can succeed with these textures.

You begin with three new foods to the child. The procedures and materials are all listed for the steps. The cue cards are in black and white and a bit advanced for my son. This is the perfect book for preschoolers and toddlers who are resistant eaters.

There are many activities for the preschool aged child to explore with a parent, teacher or therapist. The section on food jags is reassuring to parents.

This is a great first book to read in the area of eating issues. I wish this had been published several years earlier so we could have progressed quicker. If you think your child needs feeding therapy - Just Take a Bite should be read so you can start implementing these suggestions.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2004
Just Take A Bite is a fabulous book for parents and caregivers dealing with children who are problem eaters. It dispels the common myth that all children will eat when hungry, and clearly describes how certain environmental problems, physical problems, and sensory problems may hinder a child's eating. The explanations of these underlying issues are thorough and understandable. Practical solutions are provided with remarkably clear instructions as to implementing these strategies on your own. I highly recommend this book for parents whose mealtimes have been negatively affected by a child's behavior.
on September 17, 2007
My son has high functioning autism. He is so smart and Non-autistic in many ways..but NOT with food. I have asked so many "professionals" for YEARS for help..and I have never been able to get anything other than "He'll eat when he's hungry" or "You're worrying too much."
After reading this book, I cried..literally CRIED because I had FINALLY found a book that described my son..and that I was right thinking these people had no idea what was really going on.
I cannot begin to express how happy I am that we have a plan..a real plan..on what we ALL can do. I purcahsed a copy for his school so that his speech therapist AND his occupational therapist can get some insight on how they can help my son also.
It will be a slow process, but I am confident that with real goals we can do this. It is such a relief to have some help in this area..FINALLY!!
on March 15, 2006
This book came highly recommended to me by a friend who works with children who have a variety of different special needs. She pointed out that it picks up where a lot of books about eating challenges and "picky eating" behaviors leave off, dealing with the child whose food repertoire may consist of two or three foods; and who may be facing significant physical/behavioral or other challenges that interfere with the process of eating.

I was immediately impressed by the book because it was so detailed and solutions-oriented. Not only do the authors present practical tips, ideas, and solutions that apply to specific situations: they include case studies that show how families can apply them. The book also includes helpful illustrations designed to help parents understand the postural control and other body exercises that are explained in the text. Highly recommended.
on March 24, 2008
After struggling with my 5 year old son (for 2-3 years now)I finally found this book. It was very beneficial as it helped me to see the issue through my son's eyes. I had scoured the internet for years but could only find guidelines for picky but "normal" eaters. I also thought I'd scream if I had to listen to another person say "he'll eat when he's hungry." This book understands my predicament and made me feel like I'm not alone. While I found a slight contradiction in the book (in terms of how to deal with the issue)it was overall very helpful. My son has just started seeing an occupational therapist for his issues, but having read this book (and taking notes from it) has helped me to communicate with the OT and be knowledgable on the whole topic. GREAT book. I highly recommend it. Thanks go to the authors for writing it. It is a topic that gets overlooked and doctors have no clue what to do about it, hence they give the worst advice. Hopefully more will be written and available in the future on this topic. The nutritional health of our children depends on it.
on March 27, 2007
I think this is a terrific resource. No, it's probably not cutting-edge for a professional, but that's not the audience, which is intended to be broader. My daughter was extremely overselective as a young child--she's merely extraordinarily picky as a 10-year-old. Just by browsing the book, I've gotten a number of ideas about how to expand her food repertoire. She's alerady eating more fruit than she had been a few weeks ago.

The book also does a good job of reassuring parents who've been subjected to the same damn food myths ("If she's hungry enough, she'll eat." Not my kid).
on August 25, 2014
Nice book with interesting information, but I would say it is probably for those who simply have picky kids rather than those with ASD or SPD. No information that I hadn't already received through therapists or the internet, nor any information that really helped me tackle my son's very specific food aversions.
on April 30, 2014
This book can get a parent started in the right direction but by no means did this book give a plan from A to Z. This book basically gives just enough info to make you seek out a professional therapist for help. So much of the actual day to day process is left out. I could see if I tried to help my child using only this book I would hit some major road blocks with no real progress made.
on February 2, 2008
Every parent has experienced the problem of their child refusing to eat foods from a specific food group and the stress of meal time turning into a battle of wills between parent and child. Then there are those children who become anxious or even frightened of eating new foods that they've never encountered before. "Just Take A Bite: Easy, Effective Answers To Food Aversions And Eating Challenges" is an ideal instruction manual for parents who find themselves having to deal with just such reluctant or picky eaters. Co-authored by autism and behavioral consultant Lori Ernsperger and pediatric occupational therapist Tania Stegen-Hanson, "Just Take A Bit offers a wealth of simple, practical, step-by-step, effective strategies that parents can employ to have their children eating a balanced and nutritious diet and resolve those mealtime difficulties and challenges. Succinctly organized into ten chapters, "Just Take A Bit" covers identifying resistant eaters; oral-motor development; environmental and behavioral factors contribution to problems with eating; sensory-based and motor-based problems affective the resistant eater; motor-based eating problems vs. sensory-based eating problems; designing and implementing a comprehensive treatment plan; environmental controls; gastrointestinal, physical and oral-motor development; and stages of sensory development for eating. Of special note is the tenth chapter on 'A Recipe for Success' cover cultural factors, medical issues, older children, and allergy-related diets. In addition to concerned parents, "Just Take A Bite" is also very highly recommended as a resource for daycare center personnel and any other professionals having mealtime responsibilities for children who are 'reluctant eaters'.
on February 7, 2012
This book mostly provides an overview of different reasons your child may have food aversions to help you understand the child better. Towards the end of the book, it provides lots of activities and games to play with your child, however, these are only for pre-school and school aged children, not for a 2-year old child. So, the book is a good overview of the various possible reasons why a child may have food aversions, but if you have a really young child, the suggested activities are way too early for a 2-year old to engage in.