5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best blues singers in a long time!
Published on September 5, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great singer, uneven recording.
Published on August 24, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best blues singers in a long time!, September 5, 1999
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
You guys must be kidding, and you've clearly never seen Susan live. (By the way you've also left out Blues Revue's review of her work which is more to the point). I have been a blues fan for about 25 years and I have to say she is one of the best blues singers in a long time! Her voice is both powerful and evocative. She reminds me of the best of Bonnie Raitt mixed with the best of Janis Joplin (I've seen both live) I have seen her twice. Once her set overpowered Buddy Guy and Jonny Lang and other more well known blues stalwarts. The other time she just blew the crowd away with the songs on Just Won't Burn and her bands version of Got My Mojo Working. I can't wait to hear her now that she's teaming with Double Trouble. The only thing I might say is that her album doesn't do her justice - although I find that is true about almost every blues artist I have seen from BB King to Eric Clapton. My advice - get the album, see her live and follow her career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Critics obviously haven't seen her live, September 18, 2000
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I honestly couldn't say it any better than the "reviewer from Northern Virginia". That review is absolutely 100% on the mark. I've seen Susan live twice in the last 2 weeks, opening for Buddy Guy and B.B. King. Yesterday, I went out and bought the album because I was completely BLOWN AWAY by her vocals. The other reviewer is also correct in saying that this album doesn't do Susan justice. She is meant to be seen live. Unlike what the "professional(whatever) reviewers" said, her vocals are not calculated, but are deep, expressive, and improvisational. It may not sound like it on the album, but cutting her up the way they did is ludicrous. Her music is vocally driven, not guitar driven.
Anyway, there are some excellent songs on this album which is definitely worth buying. Even non-blues fans will truly enjoy "You need to be with me" and "Looking for answers". Buy this album, but better yet, go see Susan live and you will have an all together new appreciation.
I guess I'm giving it five stars because even though it doesn't do Susan justice, the album is still better than other albums that I've given 5 stars. If you end up not liking the album, DO NOT JUDGE SUSAN OFF IT......She truly is a great singing talent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great singer, uneven recording., August 24, 1999
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I first heard this wonderful singer on the stage at the Springing the Blues festival in Jacksonville, Fla.. I have heard many female blues singers in my day and that day this little girl literally took my breath. She had an enormous stage presence as she belted out some wonderful renditions of blues classics as well as a beautiful original written by guitar player Adrienne Hayes, the song was titled Better Days and it is a very moving blues ballad. I got the chance to see her two more times at that same festival and she never failed to deliver. You had to be there and see the reaction of the crowd to really appreciate this young ladies talents. Up until recently I was the booking contact for Rafters, a small blues club in South Georgia, and I had the pleasure of booking Ms. Tedeschi. She was then playing with Sean Costello and the Jive Bombers. Susan was just getting over a cold and her voice was not up to par, yet she still managed to bring the house down on a few numbers. She was a real trooper. I agree with some of the reviews of her latest album, it is uneven and very raw, I actually like her first album better. It has more pure blues on it as well as the Better Days song. Susan recently appeared on Austin City Limits and she certainly won the approval of the audience there. She performed with the Jive Bombers sans Sean Costello. (Sean is an incredible young guitar player and singer himself). Please don't judge Susan by this one album, believe me the girl can really perform and she seems only to get better with age.I predict bigger and better things for this blues belter. If only she would stick more to the blues.That is where she really shines. Check her out when she comes to your area, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars who are you going to listen to, August 27, 2001
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I saw her live at BB kings blues fest last year and bought the album the next day because her set rivaled both BB king and Buddy Guy's set. Now, as the other reviewers said, the albulm does not quite live up to her live performances (I've since seen her open for Jeff Beck), it is still very strong throughout. There isn't a bad song on the album. Susan covers a variety of styles ranging from the driving blues-rock of "Rock me Right" to the Janis-esq "It hurts so bad" to the slow blues of the title track, and she does them all well. Her guitar playing isn't quite up to the standard of her vocals, it is getting better. It improved greatly from her first album, better days, and its improved again between the first time I saw her in Sep 2000 and the second time that I saw her in March 2001. As for the criticts who bash her, who are you going to listen to some critic, or the many real blues and rock and roll greats who have picked her to open for them? She has opened for BB King, Buddy Guy, Willie Nelson, Jeff Beck, the Allman Brothers, and Bob Dylan, who was absolutely blown away by one of her live shows. Just look at that list of names and tell me which critic knows more than they do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Still not convinced? Then see this girl live in concert..., July 27, 2001
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
Yes, Susan Tedeschi seems too good to be true. She's a short, young white woman from New England with a wispy speaking voice. What on earth could she possibly know about the blues? Beats me, but one thing is for sure: when she opens her mouth to sing, and to play guitar, a wild fire of a blues mama somehow growls its way out. I don't know how it got in there (and I don't have to), but she'll make you so glad it's there.
This is an excellent album full of flawless tracks, but her live performances are several notches higher on the intensity scale. I saw her perform the other day at SummerStage in NYC's Central Park (for free!). I really liked the album and was hoping for a good show; but during and after the show, I found myself simply in AWE of her (I even got her to sign my CD). Now this album has taken on a new dimension for me. I was saying to myself at the show "this is quite possibly one of the absolute best concerts I've ever attended", and I'll probably feel that way for a very very very long time. She's one of the best things out there today in any genre.
Susan isn't about guitar playing or songwriting as much as she is about that VOICE. She growls, she whispers, she just lets it out. I don't know how long she'll be able to keep up that kind of singing, but women like Koko Taylor and Etta James have been able to keep it up for 40+ years running. I think Susan is in it for the long haul. She might never be a big star...but she'll have her fans forever. She is the real thing, inside and out. No gimmicks. Just hardcore blues. You'll love her live.
She closed the show with an extended version of "It Hurt So Bad". I nearly wet my pants.
SEE HER LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sue Tedeschi--views of a "senior" admirer, April 8, 2000
Bette A. Alvarado (Somerville, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I have loved blues for as long as I can remember, and I am a 66 year old female. Janis Joplin has always been the one to really stir me up, but I must say that Sue's new song "It Hurts so Bad" gives me the feelings that I haven't gotten from any female singer since Janis. When I heard Sue had received a grammy nomination I was thrilled. Sue and Carlos, my two favorites, were both nominated. How exciting. Sue is just beginning to show what she can do, and I think we will hear a lot of positive things about this performer in the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the criticism and buy it!, February 24, 2000
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I have never submitted a review before, but after listening to this CD, I felt a need to extol the merits of this bluesy newcomer. Susan Tedeschi pounds out exceptional blues vocals on "Just Won't Burn." The comparisons to Raitt and Joplin are understandable, but misplaced. Tedeschi's vocal style and blues cadence is freshly unique. A better comparison would be to comapare her vocal style to the explemplary guitar work of Stevie Ray Vaughn. While not an obsessive type, I throughly enjoy listening to this recording again and again and think you will too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like Janis, but great nonetheless, July 28, 1999
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I thought this album was great, although the guitar solos sounded sloppy in some places. But they give the album a raw edge that is notably absent in most recordings. It doesn't sound slick, overproduced, or commercial. Keep in mind, this is only her second album, and if this is any indication of Susan's potential as a great blues singer, her fans have found a winner.
Personal side gripe: I was given this album by a friend, who knows I'm a Janis Joplin fan, and he said, "Listen to this--she sounds just like Janis!" Well, Susan has a powerful voice, but she doesn't sound anything like Janis (IMHO). Reading reviews of the album, it seems many are comparing her to Janis or Bonnie Raitt. Why are their talents the standards by which most female blues singers are measured? Certainly the influence is there, but the sound is fresh and unique. Susan Tedeschi should stand on her own, and listeners should not be expecting to hear somebody else's music.
But aside from that--her voice is haunting and she can play a mean guitar...can't wait for the next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, November 29, 1999
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
I first saw Susan Tedeschi at the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival last spring was was absolutely blown away. The audience cheered her back for two encores...everyone throughly impressed and moved by her music. She's a fantastic performer and great singer. "Just Won't Burn" is a good representation of her talents- the songs are filled with feeling (even for a studio album)and don't get old. Try to catch her live if you can- you won't be disappointed. If you liked "Just Don't Burn," try looking for her first CD, "Better Days," which has a little less quality recording, but is full of good stuff, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raitt + Joplin + More Soul = Susan, May 31, 2000
"chris550" (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Won't Burn (Audio CD)
If you're the type of person who can hear more in one note of Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" than most people can say on an entire CD, you'll enjoy hearing Susan Tedeschi sing. Don't expect a guitar virtuoso, that's not what this CD is...the guitar just serves as the blues medium...second fiddle to one of the most soulful voices ever. If you like the raspyness/bluesness of Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin's intensity, you'll be happy you trusted me on this one. Just buy it.

Just Won't Burn
Just Won't Burn by Susan Tedeschi (Audio CD - 2005)
Rate and Discover Movies