Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 6:13:27 PM PDT
John Mann says:
Just got my copy of Game Informer, and they gave a 6.75 out of 10. For some reason this doesn't concern me to much, and won't stop me from buying the game anyway. I can already tell that this game is going to be completely based on the opinion of the player. None of the major reviewers are going to be very kind to it because they are too focused on every game having LA Noire style graphics and a massive online community.
I think that AMR is a game very much akin to the original, and still focuses on its predecessors' main concerns. It made up for shaky gameplay and limited graphics with atmosphere and an unusual story. AMR seems to be working in the same mold, using the gameplay as a means of allowing you to experience the atmosphere and story without detracting from it.
A lot of new games that get high ratings now are the ones that I feel have moved away from storyteling prowess and begun to use graphical realism as a crutch. AMR is one of those games that you cant rely on the big reviewers to judge fairly. Maybe it will be great maybe it wont, but its going to be up to the player to make that decision. Not the reviewers who seem to have forgotten what made games so popular in the first place: a sheer sense of fun and discovery.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 7:22:27 PM PDT
wayside says:
If you don't mind me asking, what reasons did they give for the low score?

I think I'll still be getting the game.. but it's good to know I can return it to Amazon for a full refund as long as it's unopened.

I guess in this case user reviews will be more important.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 7:50:44 PM PDT
John Mann says:
Mostly gameplay. They said the same thing a lot of other places are saying that the platforming and fighting aren't anything new. They also said the graphics weren't as good as they could be.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 8:05:34 PM PDT
wayside says:

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 10:29:21 PM PDT
I. Rossiter says:
once again some things are held way to high of a standard. you CAN have a average great game without innovation and game play originality but just a fun game to sit down and play. I say if you like the theme (Alice) and style (Platforming) than if the controls aren't broken or some major game breaking glitches (like Casltevaina)....BUY IT!

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 7:54:22 PM PDT
Matt A. says:
Hey all,

I just spent the last 2.5 hours playing Madness Returns, and I can say it is definitely better than a 5/10. I don't really like scoring games for the simple fact that people see it and don't bother to read the criticisms/praises levied in the text, so I'll just tell you what I loved, and what was disappointing.

First, you should know I'm a huge fan of the original Alice. Since it first came out in 2000, I have installed it on every PC I've bought since. My expectations were high, even after the TREMENDOUS letdown that was Duke Nukem Forever, and I'm happy to say that while it does fall a bit short, this is by no means a bad game if you love the original.

Most of the problems are more technical than anything. Textures pop in occasionally, and light sourcing behaves very strangely. Rotating the camera will change the lighting on the background on the fly, and sometimes the change is drastic and looks terrible. It's true, graphically it's probably not as amazing as it COULD have been, but it's serviceable and the world is once again beautifully designed. I was left in awe when I first saw the Hatter's realm in the distance, with gears floating all around it in space. The character designs are very cool too, like something out of an old storybook where everyone has exaggerated features (extremely bulbous noses, for example).

If you played the original, you know what to expect in the sequel. A lot of platforming, mixed with a fair share of combat. There are plenty of collectibles as well, such as "Drink Me" bottles and fragments of Alice's memories that flesh out the story little by little. Personally, I think the platforming is pretty well done and rarely frustrating. Combat isn't particularly amazing, but it's not bad either and I'd say it's improved over the original thanks to Alice's handy dodge ability. My biggest gripe is that some of the enemies don't quite fit any of the Alice mythos (Carroll's originals or McGee's). On the other hand, enemies like the Madcaps (miniature versions of the Hatter that use silverware as weapons, teacups as helmets, and saucers as shields) are great.

It's interesting to see the levels become progressively more dark, twisted, and disturbing. The first Wonderland level sees you in the brightly colored forest we've seen in the screenshots, but things gradually take a turn for the worse (in the best possible way, of course) and the environments become more outlandish and surreal. The ability to shrink at will can open up hidden passages, though the game is still fairly linear and you'll never go too far off the beaten path.

Frankly, I love what I've played so far and I'm just about to jump back in for a few more hours. It's not better then the first Alice, but then I've also had a decade to romanticize that game and replay it dozens of times over so perhaps my objectivity is clouded somewhat. All I know is that I wasn't disappointed with Madness Returns, and unless it takes a sharp, drastic turn downhill, I think fans of the original will love it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 8:41:57 PM PDT
John Mann says:
Makes me feel a lot better, I never played the first one but I love the idea of the game and the dark context. Keep posting as you get further in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 9:25:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 9:17:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 9:27:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 9:17:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 12:55:55 AM PDT
John Mann says:
You know I've decided I don't care about reviews. Its good to hear when a game does good critically, but I'm gonna get this game because I really like the story and the idea. I buy games to be entertained, and right now I think this game will be entertaining. I also can't wait to play through the original, it was awesome of them to include it with the new game.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 3:51:17 AM PDT
What a disappointment this week, Games that took layoffs for over a decade can't get it right?! I canceled Duke Nukem because the demo was garbage. My main focus was then solely on Madness Returns only to find out the game is just ok? I will just wait and see on Alice MR and pick it up later if it proves to be a better game then it's being portrayed now. These developers had too much time and too much of a fan base to put out an average game. That is the biggest let down of it all, waiting for years only to get an ok game is not good.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 6:50:04 PM PDT
Coogs says:
I pre-ordered this from Amazon a few weeks ago for $44.99. Now the price is back up to $59.99. Odd...but I feel good about the lower price, seeing as how reviews are lukewarm. Also, I never played the original, and it's included here, so that will help increase the value of the purchase for me. And Amazon is including the soundtrack for download, so I'm not overly concerned about wasting my money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 9:44:29 PM PDT
Gage Grove says:
It is way too early for you to get your copy of Game Informer. The review would be online also and it isn't

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 9:49:42 PM PDT
John Mann says:
No I'm being serious. The cover is for Darksiders 2 and has previews for Mass Effect 3 and Bioshock Infinite. It also has reviews for LA Noire(8.75), Brink(6.75), and Infamous 2(8.75).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 5:03:42 PM PDT
Unit543 says:

Just got my copy in the mail and he is right 6.75 and the cover is darksiders 2 (Pro powerup member)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 8:17:48 PM PDT
C. Oliver says:
I can attest to Game Informer's July issue having been released and I've got it in my hands right now. Alice Madness Returns was indeed given a 6.75 (then again, I've witnessed reviews from them do a complete 360 post-release after them having put foot 'n mouth too early).

The peculiarity I felt about this review though was that they didn't get too specific about the quality of the story (good or bad) or how well it represents the franchise. Most of their gripes were familiar game play (indicative of any game within a particular genre), technical issues like textures up close not being as great in detail as they could be, and apparently the platforming and mini-games are trivial. But, I'd say if you're a fan of American McGee's Alice then none of this should matter. It just doesn't seem evident that these early reviewers were at all enthused about this game from the get-go or that they had played the original. My findings are supported by the fact that a 6 by GI standards means "Limited Appeal. Although there may be fans of games receiving this score. . ."

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 2:33:48 PM PDT
J. Walters says:
I guess I'm going to show my stupidity here, but how original can platforming be? Mario's been doing essentially the same thing for decades and nobody has complained. I guess if they gave Alice a raccoon suit everyone would be happy. (For the record, I've never played the original "Alice.")

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 4:37:48 PM PDT
Please don't listen to Game informer.... It appears only the main stream games get good reviews and big companies get good reviews and everyone else gets crap. I get the magazines because they are free but their reviews are not worth anything. For example the best one I like to use is when they "Reviewed" Dragon Age: Origins they gave it an 8 because "You only have a small bag"... um you play for like an hour you FIND a shop that sells bag extensions which mean bigger bags, I got the impression the guy didn't even finish playing the game. Yet they gave infinite undiscovered an 8 and it was the most garbage game with the worst story on the plant (my opinion yes) And the feeling I get from them is they never enjoy any games they play, like they find the person in their company who would hate the game the most to play and review.
Remember reviews are from the point of view of one person. You don't know their backgrounds or why they were picked to play the game. Is it about the game or a pay check? This is a game you have to play for yourself. Like most game you need your opinion on it, still wary then rent and don't buy.
This game is about story! I loved the original and hey if you buy it and don't like it then you still get the original game to play instead... 2 games for 1 in a good deal.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 7:20:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2011 7:22:00 PM PDT
Well all I have to say is I agree it seems that now a days if its not Grand theft auto or The latest call of duty witch by the way seem all the same to me Then its no good to reviewers. I myself think the games great so far. If you liked the first one then you will like this one. I am not a reviewer for a major Video game Mag or web site but I give it a 8 out of 10. Eat it Game Informer.

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 11:36:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 11:37:40 AM PDT
David says:
on the contrary 8^) .... most game reviews are overly positive , required for the reviewers to keep in good with the companies to get review copies, get into beta cycles etc. Reviewers depend on the products for their value and jobs.
I wrote technical reviews for a famous magazine for years, and the policy was if the review was going to be bad enough, don't publish it; skip that product and go on to another.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 8:07:39 PM PDT
Great game regardless of reviews. Overly easy and only one boss battle are my only complaints.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 6:39:25 AM PDT
Anarchy 99 says:
I saw the 6.75 score game informer gave this game as well but it wasnt going to stop me from getting it. Ususally i only play Shooters, Fighters, Madden and the like but this game looked like something i had never seen before. Unfortunatly (and im grinding my teeth thinking about it) only 30 minutes into the game i got an error that said "Game Data is Corrupted." I claened the disk hoping for a miracle as i bought it new and it happened at the exact same spot in the game, basically about 20 minutes after getting to wonderland and collecting some of her memory back. Has anybody else had this problem or heard of people having problems like this? Now i have to send it back to amazon, get a new one have them ship it back so im looking at a week or 2, am so bummed out. Any info would help. Thanks. and oh, even though i only got 30 minutes into the game, WOW, i love it allready!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 8:05:29 AM PDT
Try deleting the game data and reinstalling it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:26:37 AM PDT
Anarchy 99 says:
Yeah that is what i did, i turned the system off and took out the game, deleted the saved game data and started a new game. I ended up getting the exact same error in just about same spot that it had happened before. I was just worried that it might have hurt my PS3 but it must just be the game. Thank you for responding to my post, i appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:35:00 AM PDT
Go to Game Data Utility and delete it there. Then reinstall it. Deleting it under Saved Data Utility just deletes your game save and wouldnt fix the error. If that doesnt fix it, you may have a bad copy or something. It is a great game if you can get it to work, though. (kind of easy but still good. I played it on hard on my first playthrough and was less challenged that most games on normal.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3
Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.3 out of 5 stars (287)