Customer Discussions > The Investment Answer forum

Just what kind of scam is going on hear?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2011 9:12:25 AM PST
BW says:
56 five star votes for a book that is nothing more than a 66 page 30 minute read that you can get from any investor web site for free.
Many seem to be personally associated with one or both authors.
$109 for this paperback?
If you want to start a charity, then say so, but do not try more wall street scams in these supposedly unbiased comments !

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 6:16:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2011 6:17:40 PM PST
Gadgester says:
Not $109, more like $9, and it's probably worth no more than 9 cents. People like this are just disgusting.

Posted on May 27, 2012 10:54:54 PM PDT
Nathan Dutra says:
I completely agree. I bought the book due to the many 5-star reviews. Most of the stuff here are VERY basic and can be easily learnt through the browsing of a few random investing web sites. I was very disappointed.

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 5:42:40 PM PDT
Thomas Burch says:
I very much disagree with all the people complaining here. I have nothing to do with the authors, but have read the book and I actually bought it for several friends. The book is outstanding. I have read many books on the same topic: Winning the loser's game, Common sense on mutual funds, Getting started in mutual funds, Rich dad poor dad, The wealthy barber, The most important thing, Investing for Dummies, Personal finance for Dummies, Unconventional success, etc. and I think this one is outstanding for several reasons:
1. Concise: If you can simplify and shorten info this improves delivery of the message. This increases the chances people will finish the book and actually benefit from the material. Smart people take complex subjects and make them seem simple.
2. Authors have NO agenda: They are not trying to sell you anything
3. Authors have the heart of a teacher: They are honestly giving info that encourages you to win. They are tying to warn the ignorant public about an industry/culture with a huge conflict of interest and they give simple, clear "Answers" to the questions every investor needs to be asking.
4. They present the material with graphs/figures with references (a picture is worth a thousand words) and these pics are very helpful and eliminate the need for endless text/discussion.
5. This is BAIT. No it won't teach your every single thing you need to know about investing. But it is a great start and it will get you on the right track. Should you read more than this simple concise and helpful book? Of course, but that does not mean it has no value. Indeed, I recommend every house have one. I wish I would have read it years ago. It gives you many important "answers" but it also invigorates you to ask your own important questions and to seek more detailed explanations of the topics covered. It is a great foundation upon which to get your reading started. While there are a lot of sources of info available to the investor, the majority of it has significant bias. This in my opinion does not. It provides a good foundation. It is BAIT for you to learn as much as possible about a topic the majority of our country is totally ignorant of and which I was never taught in high school, college, graduate or post graduate school.
Again, I have no association with the authors and I give the book 5 stars. It is wonderful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Investment Answer
The Investment Answer by Daniel C. Goldie (Hardcover - January 25, 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (218)