Justice League Heroes - Xbox
Platform: XboxChange
Price:$64.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 21, 2006
This game feels liked a simplified X Men Legends game. That's not always a bad thing.

Unlike XMen you don't get to pick your team right away. You follow the storyline which picks your team of 2 people each time (at least initially). E.g. Supe and Batman; Flash and Green Lantern. You can choose who to control while playing and you can tell the computer-controlled AI to be either normal, passive or aggressive.

Attribute improvements are easier to manage than in X men which confronted you with so many different addons that you end up selling most of them anyway. In Justice League you gather orbs for luck, duration, efficiency, damage, etc that you can then apply to your powers or combine to form in groups of 3 to form more powerful power ups. The interface is intuitive and I managed to get through it without reading the manual. You can choose to use the powerups right away or just keep combining them till you have a super duper powerup.

You can unlock more powers using experience points gained by destroying the bad guys. Saving civilians gives you Justice league credits that you can then use to buy stuff like additional characters and costumes. You will have the option to choose the costumes and characters later in the game.

Overall the game gets repetitive pretty fast. It's not a particular fault of this game per-se, X-Men also got repetitive after a while.

But I have to admit, as you play this game longer and start powering up your heroes, the game does begin to grow on you. I think the fact that you have a core group of heroes that you level up helps make this game more intimate than X-Men because there are so many to choose from. This seemed to keep the game more connected with the story, whereas the 4 characters you play in X-Men may or may not appear in the cutscenes.

So while the game feels like a 3/5 initially, I edged towards 4/5 at the end. I think compared to X-Men this game had more creative execution of powers. Here for e.g. are a few that make this game unique as compared to X-Men:

- Batman's batarang looks like any other projectile weapon initially, it does have the ability to disarm an enemy which is useful when everyone's carrying a gun.

- Batman also has the batswarm attack which lets you launch a swarm of bats against an enemy that will attack it for a significant duration. You literally fire and run away to let the bats take care of it. I have used this effectively against the first boss.

- Flash's pinball power lets you bounce between enemies and attack them very quickly.

- Green Lantern has this giant grinder power that you literally mow your enemy down with.

- Zatana turns enemies into bunny rabbits.

When the game is over you can restart the game from the beginning using all the accumulated stats so that you can continue to become more powerful. You will reach appoint that superman can become so powerful that he can just stand there and get beaten by the enemy without affecting his health bar at all- which is what superman's supposed to be like anyway!
on October 21, 2006
I've enjoyed a few D.C. comics in my past. JLA and JLI being a few of them. My brother and I spent three days playing this from start to finish and we had a ball.

The music was outstanding! Both of us commented on it several times. Very 'Command & Conquer' sounding.

The powers they had seem just like in the comics. I though Huntress would be my fave but Zatanna ruled the day for me, with 'tloberif' and 'leah' at her command and my brother as Green Lantern we stormed through a lot of stuff. As you level up your powers they change with it. Zatanna went from one slow firebolt to two swirling ones that pounded the toughest enemies into the ground.

Another cool part is that they switch you around. Superman and Batman start it out and you find the characters you like as the story progresses. You may be Flash and Martian Manhunter fighting something on the ground then switch at the next scene and play Superman and Wonder Woman taking on a convoy of spaceships. Half of the time you get to pick your hero you play as.

Batman and Huntress were weaker than the superhumans... which I know they are. But it got frustrating trying to keep up if the other player is using a superhuman.

The ones who could fly got to stay up and it didn't drain their power meter, that was a great joy.

The story was wonderful, like you were living out a comic book and you were in control.

I gave JLH five stars for fun, because it was. I wouldn't mind playing it again. I gave it four for overall because they forced a few pairings on us that we hadn't built up to a high enough level and we spent an hour passing what should have been an easy board for us.
on October 31, 2006
It is about time that DC comics got smart and released a game like this to compete with X-Men and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. This is a fantastic game and I hope that they follow up on it with a few refinements. Some people have said that there isn't quite as much fighting as there are in the x-men games--this is simply untrue.

Graphics are solid and I favor them over Xmen. I love the characters and each of them was very well done. They didn't overdo it with the powers like Xmen. The system is simpler and more to my liking. Gameplay is great, lots of fighting and plenty of action.

There are only a couple of complaints about this game. FIrst, I was not impressed with the voice over choices for some of the heroes. Ron Perlman--although I like the guy a lot--is just not Batman. Everytime I saw Batman speak and heard Ron's voice--it just didn't fit.

Also, I loved that there were some unlockable characters, but I didn't like that you couldn't chose your heroes on most levels, they were chosen for you. I hope that in the future they will improve this. I also thought it was silly to have three different Green Lanterns in the game--with the exact same powers. They could have mixed it up a bit more with them, but that is a relatively minor complaint. If you liked xmen legends, you'll seriously enjoy this game.
on October 18, 2006
i know they call this an action rpg...but lets face it...this is a classic arcade style beat 'em up in the tradition of (instert any classic aracade beat 'em up here...though smash-tv comes to mind). it should be noted that this has "rpg" elements. that is to say that the player can customize which power and or ability they improved want baced on gained experience ect...

its a fun game for sure...and even more fun if you are a dc comics geek like me. naturaly this game is getting alot of comparisons to marvel ultimate alliance. many say that this is inferior due to its lack of playable characters as well as the fact that one isnt able to chose there own team. This all may be true...to a non dc fan. but if you are like me...then the chance to play a rockin' game w/all the core characters from the dc verse is something i just cant turn down.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I remember when I was younger I used to love playing the classic arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In it, you could be any turtle that you wanted, typically you had the panoramic screen, and you and a group of friends would punch buttons till they bled waiting to finally challenge the ultimate Shredder. It was a game that memories were made of, and it definitely drained your Sunday of all the quarters that you had been saving. What made this TMNT game a memorable one for me was that you could really immerse yourself in the game and refine your strengths on a certain turtle. Did you like the bow of Donatello, or did you prefer the dual swords of Leonardo? The options were yours, and so when I saw "Justice League Heroes" released with the opportunity to play all the great characters from the series, I saw my youth days at the arcade spring back into action. This game developed by Snowblind, did not disappoint (at least not in most areas).

The world is in chaos, and you, the chosen elite that compose the Justice League, have been summoned to stop the evil forces of those like The Key, Brainiac, Queen Bee, and Gorilla Grodd (and even a special appearance by an ultimate favorite near the end!) to name a few. You fight as Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Flash, several Green Lanterns, and so forth to bring down hordes of mindless drones that want nothing but to fight you in a pre-destined way. This game is a no brainer, by that I mean you can mash the keypad as much as you want and as long as you keep an eye on your health you will be victorious. There is no deep thought involved with this game because if in the uneventful case of your death, you can still go back and do it all over again without any amazing AI to change it up. With unlimited continues you can finish this game with several RedBulls and a night off. I remember the Justice League always having huge challenges with the villains that they fought, but with this game, the challenge was not there. It was monotonous, it was simple - yet somehow, I was enthralled by it. This was a simpleton's game. It was a game that one could come home, not devote so much time to, but thoroughly enjoy a classic "wham-bam" arcade style of youth to demolish the haphazardness of your corporate day. This was a game where you could be a superhero and "hover" (not fly) over cities and see villains do what they do best - corrupt the world.

"Justice League Heroes" completed the task at hand - allow for several hours of game play by a user without needing to step outside the box. Give them a twist here or there, make the fanboys happy, but don't over extend. They were not trying to recreate the wheel with this game, just provide for several hours of enjoyable gaming. The graphics were decent, but nothing to write home about. The voices could appeal to some, but I couldn't get past Ron Pearlman - Hellboy himself - doing the voice of Batman. That was a fit that didn't seem to match. The rest seemed to allow for decent moments. The controls of the game were ... again - without sounding repetitive - decent. There was not much discussion or lead-into the reasoning for the speed power-ups and honestly, for me, they were unneeded. They may have added benefit to my characters, but as I continued to play I found that I just randomly attached them to a character, without any rhyme or reason. The super features were fun, but grew old over time and I found myself attached to Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern more than the other characters because they had lengthy special abilities which came in handy for a boss or two. The cut-scenes were enjoyable, which provided for the storyline cliché enough to fall into a comic, but convincing enough for this game. I thought the story kept me going - I wanted to see who was behind all of this, and what techniques would be used to stop him. I must say that my biggest gripe is that you could go through the game and not unlock all the hidden characters, and you can't really go back and try. I didn't get to half of the new characters or costumes because I was too busy trying to finish the game. I didn't see the need for me to buy three extra Green Lantern costumes before I could unlock a character. That befuddled me. I also seem to agree with the others making comments about this game with the construct that I could not pick my own heroes for each sequence. That was a fun element that only seemed to coincide with randomness. Characters were thrown together with no reasoning and I was forced to helm the stronger of the two. The AI is decent, but if you just a one player, beware - your other character will just stand on a puddle of flames and die unless you continue to move. ARG. Think about it Martian Mindhunter!

Overall, I enjoyed playing this game, but would not find myself behind the helm of it again. I didn't go to deeply into the other games that could be explored in the game itself, mainly because I only have one controller and a very short time to play these games. I thought it kept with a classic arcade style of playing, but didn't redefine itself. I have not played the "X-Men Legends" game, but hear that it is modeled very closely. I also am going to try "Marvel Alliance" to see the similarities. I would suggest this game to friends because of the excitement of helming a mission as Batman or Zatanna, but after three hours of game play your thumbs will be tired and you will see the repetitive nature of the game. Give it a try, but do not prepare yourself to be blown away.

Grade: *** out of *****
on February 4, 2007
My husband and I bought this at the same time we purchased Marvel Alliance. This game was just a "yeah that should be fun" kind of purchase and we were all set to devote ourselves fully to the Marvel game. We decided to give the Justice League game a whirl and quickly got hooked. The graphics are totally great for an xbox game. Every character has amazing detail and is just what you expect. What was a nice surprise is the total interactivity of the environment - the ability to pick things up. Not only can you pick things up and throw or destroy them - the action is appropriate to the character you are playing. Basically Superman can pick up and throw everything but a character like Batman cannot but Batman has abilities that are specific to him. The level of detail for all of the items is amazing - you pick up a desk and papers fall off of it - or you pick up a hot dog cart and buns and dogs go everywhere. Amazing! The game has a fantastic engaging story (though my husband had to explain who all the bad guys are) so you don't have to be totally into comics to understand or enjoy. The game has a high level of replay because you can add powers and boosts to your character and also team them differently. The cooperative play is just great and we love games that let us play missions together. Overall extremely happy with Justice League and we're looking forward to any future sequels.
on August 23, 2012
First off, even though this is an original Xbox game, it can be played on the Xbox 360, thanks to its backwards compatability. Secondly, the game is a lot of fun, and the graphics are absolutely amazing for an original Xbox game (It can play in native 720p, and be upscaled to 1080p). If you're a fan of the Justice League, like video games, and own an Xbox or Xbox 360, do yourself a favor and buy this game. You won't regret it.
on December 25, 2008
Ever since the big switch to next gen games gem's like this game are being found in the used bin more and more, I've been buying a lot of games for my last-gen systems ever since all the games that used to retail for $40-$50 have dropped dramatically. I purchased this game for $7.99 which in my humble opinion was a steal it was used and had no packaging but it's not like you actually use any of those things anyways (it did come with a blank case, of course) and for the drastic price reduction it was worth forgoing the instructions.

This is actually one of the better looking games I've played on X Box and it's also a very nice sounding game as well. A point of interest is that Michael Jai White who played Spawn in the Spawn movie plays the John Stewart Green Lantern and Ron Perlman who plays Hellboy provides the voice for Batman, I had no prior knowledge to this until I started playing the game and it was just added coolness. The game has really immersive sound on *certain levels*, that my 5.1 sound system really brought out. The chirping birds in the Gorilla City level wrap the whole room and will even play tricks on you in that you'll be looking out your window wondering where the birds are in December. I've noticed a few glitches in the sound most namely the character voices will say things quite late and if the two characters are having dialogue during game play one will say something and about two minutes later the other will respond. However this may be due to my X Box being nearly 5 years old and starting to break down. I've not tried this game on anyone elses console.

The combat is pretty simple, maybe even a little *TOO simple. You have three or four basic combos that all characters perform the same way but with different animations. But really, no one would be playing a JL game to run around punching people anyways, it's the superpowers that are important and this game delivers on that end. All of your starting characters have five different attacks which can be augmented by and interesting alchemy of boosts, Batman's batarangs for instance. He starts out throwing one that does very minimal damage but as your experience grows and the levels increase he ends up throwing six that do massive damage and usually stun or in the case of robots maim their target. Add to this certain boosts that increase damage, range, chance of stunning or duration of stun this becomes on of the favorite attacks when using Batman. Supermans heat vision is devastating just as it should be. Superman also has a wonderful attack called the Superpunch which I now call the "retcon punch" most comic geeks will know what that's a reference to and when said geeks play the game they'll know why I call it that, just apply five level seven damage boosts and you'll kill anything and everything in your immediate vicinity. Zatanna is one of my favorites as she has an attack that will turn every nearby enemy into lovable cut little bunnies, which you then proceed to pulverize. This of course doesn't work on bosses but could you imagine Doomsday turned into a cut rabbit and getting stomped by Aquaman? In that respect I suppose some gameplay limitations are necessary.

Ok, the leveling up system is nothing we haven't seen in the X Men Legends or Ultimate Alliance games however this is a much simplified system. Leveling up translates to more HP, more EP, and usually a new skill point added to one of your powers. The problem with the leveling of characters is that most levels do not allow you to chose which characters you include in your roster as they're presets and integral to the story of the game that those characters be performing that particular mission. This makes for lopsided leveling where in one play through my Superman was at level 19 my flash was only a level 15. Which made progression and replay on harder skill levels very difficult as some characters will be ready to roll in the higher difficulty setting where others will just get their you-know-whats handed to them and you'll have to play over again in a difficulty over and over again just to get some of the less used characters to the right level to play on the next rung. This is something that bothers me about this game, they could have at least included a more M:UA styled set up for replaying the game which would have helped the level of enjoyment considerably. That's what made M:UA so fun was that you could play through over and over again with different characters and build their stats along the way. And while I'm on the subject of cons to the game I need to mention a FATAL flaw in this game and the reason I gave it three stars, overall. Your characters max out at level 20 and they grow no more after that. This is pretty ridiculous to me since one play through will get Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman almost to level 20. Where the real problem lies is that "Superhero Difficulty" mode is ridiculously hard even if all of your characters are leveled up to 20 and have max boosts in all of their power slots. I've suped up my characters in every way I can possibly think of and I can still barely make it to J'onn and Zatanna's boss.

The unlockables are pretty cool, I think. You can get Superman in the black recovery suit with the SUPER MULLET he was sporting at the same time, there's also the Earth-2 (Golden Age) Superman which is just the exact same skin you start out with, with added gray sideburns. The coolest bit is the "Kandor" costume which I think is just rad. It also changes some of Supermans movements example: instead of putting his hands on his hips and sticking his chest out to block now he holds his arms out in a "na-naaa I'm invincible and you can't hurt me" fashion. All the starting characters have at least two alternate costumes and the highlights are Batman in Golden Age (blue and gray with yellow ellipsed bat symbol) and pretty cool version of the Batman Beyond costume only with a full cape. Which is something I thought Batman Beyond was always missing. Flash, Golden Age (with that silly silver helmet) and another costume that I've never seen and it simply titled "Modern". Wonder Woman as a ridiculously sexy biker chick and John Stewart in a goofy looking classic GL costume (complete with afro!).

The unlockable characters, although you won't be using them much are a pretty nice addition to an already awesome line up, including, The Huntress, Aquaman (I've never used this character once), Hawkgirl who, even at the early levels of her character, does impressive damage with her mace attack. The Green Arrow who just makes this game awesome all by himself, this guy has nothing but ranged attacks involving arrows. I played him on every level possible in "Elite" difficulty and still managed to outlive my more developed character. And there's also two more Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner. The two extra GL's have all the same attacks and moves and are just rendered slightly different, a decent touch considering all these characters are, are different skins and voice packs. The even have the same dialogue as the John Stewart character. I would have figured since they were bringing in different voice actors they would change the lines a bit so that if you decide to make a team comprised of two Lanterns they would literally repeat the same thing at each other in different voices, but hey, at least the developers gave you the chance to team two GL's at the same time. On a side note, Black Canary and Supergirl DO NOT appear in the X Box version of this game so don't kill yourself trying to get through "Superhero" difficulty and throw your X Box out the window with rage when you get no reward. Black Canary and Supergirl are unlockable characters on the PSP and DS. Cheat code sites lie...

All in all this is a great game and easily the best game you could get to play as Superman. And just about the only game where you're gonna get to play as the rest of the League, Batman excluded. There are some pet peeves I have like the max character level of 20 and the fact that WW was three lasso based power attacks at least one of which is completely useless, but the the pros far outweigh the cons, who wouldn't want to play as GL and smash 8 foot robots with a giant green hammer? Oddly though, this game really was lacking in the villain department. I would have at least expected the Joker or Solomon Grundy to pop up at some point. Really you're mostly dealing with Superman's villains sans Lex Luthor, he's not even mentioned! The levels are beautiful things to look at, not the funky looking cardboard play house walls that you'll see in X-Men Legends or Ultimate Alliance.

So if you're looking to be entertained, are a Superman fan whose been let down by the video game industry at every turn or are just a JL fan this game is a must. I've played through many times and I think this game has a very high replay value and is only stifled by the inability to pick your characters most levels. I've not played this game in two player so I can't comment on that aspect of the game.
on December 25, 2007
This game was great. JLH has great graphics and excelent control over your superhero characters. You get to play as Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and moch more. You get to level up your many different powers as you advance into the game. My favorite character is the Flash. There's only one problem with JLH. Towards the end of the game, there is a level that involves teleportation portals. There are many different combinations to choose from. When me and my friend played this level on cooperative, we almost went insane trying to beat it. My advise to you is to make a map showing the different portals and X-ing out the wrong ones as you play this level. I know what your thinking, ARE YOU CRAZY!!!. But to tell you the truth, this is the only logical way on how to advance onto the next level. That's what I did, I made a map. The last level of the game is really fun. If you die, which you will, another superhero will take your place. Thank's for reading and I hope my review was helpfull. If you have any questions on that hard level that I talked about, you can e-mail me at Justinw151@yahoo.com and I'll try to talk you through it. Bye now.
on February 22, 2011
I was happy to get this game and that I had an XBox that already had an emulator in the hardware. The game is fun and challenging. You do feel like you've won when you beat a boss. The only issue I have is that it doesn't work with the 360 as well as Hulk:Ultimate Destruction does. The game action will suddenly slow down in spots and then pick up at normal speed with no warning. I've gotten used to it and treat it as another challenge of the game but I wish it would not have that glitch. Still, all in all, no complaints. I like the characters and power sets. I love turning the bad guys into bunnies as Zatanna and Flash's pinball move is a favorite of my 7 year old son.

See 1 answered question