Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on December 9, 2012
I enjoyed this book until it got to the point where it was starting to wrap up the was well written until then...and boom! It was a non event after a very emotional story. I was so caught up in the characters..and the mother's (nanny to Annie) search for her abducted child. Then when the truth was to be is like the author got tired of writing this story, and dropped us into a fast, uneventful, blah ending. Suddenly there it was... there was NO reaction, and it was over. So instead of the five stars I would have given it about three quarters of the way through- it got only two stars for the author not caring enough to flesh out an ending to match the story. What a shame. I just sat there stunned..saying what HAPPENED?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2011
This was my second Patricia Watters novel but definitely won't be the last. One of the things that I like the best about her books is that she really understands that sometimes it is more "sexy" to not have so much actual sex in a book, but to dwell on the intimate moments that preclude it instead. I read a lot of romance novels, but even the authors that I have loved for years have started throwing sex into nearly every chapter-- to the point where I find myself skimming through the sex scenes just to get back to the storyline. Not so with this book. It is like watching a television series with lots of unfulfilled sexual tension-- it heightens the storyline. This was a great read, I really loved the characters and the way Ruth and Matt had so many obstacles that could have kept them apart, but that they came to love each other despite everything in the end.
on February 18, 2012
Story details:
She was becoming attracted to the man who might have kidnapped her daughter, but she'd guard against that. Matt Kincaid was merely a means to an end. Nothing more...
Ruth Crawford's on a quest to find and reclaim her daughter, who was kidnapped four years before. Ruth's private investigator is all but certain that ranch owner, Matt Kincaid's, adopted daughter Annie is Ruth's own little Beth. But Matt's the maverick in a powerful family of lawyers and politicians, so even though she manages to land the job as nanny to Matt's willful, six-year-old daughter, Ruth must tread carefully. She can't predict what Matt or his family might do if the adoption is challenged. However, Ruth's carefully laid plans go awry when she finds herself falling in love with the man who might have stolen her child.

My review:
I just finished reading "Justified Deception". It's the first of Patricia Watters' books that I've read, & I must say it will not be the last. When I found it & downloaded it from Amazon, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I'll honestly admit that from the cover photo I thought there would be quite a bit of "intimacy" in the story.
What I didn't expect was the heart-wrenching, truly emotional story that I became deeply engrossed in. Once I began reading it, I was simply not able to put it down.

I experienced several emotions while reading the story. The 2 dominate emotions were pain & love.
I felt Ruth's pain as if it were my own, as if I were experiencing it. Having your child stolen from you, then being so close to a child that may well be yours, but having to wait for legal proof with the fear that the child may not be yours. Oh, & the fear of being found out? Wow!

Then there was the love that I felt for Matt, Annie & Ruth.
I loved Matt because the love that he had for Annie is the kind of love every child deserves from their parent. His relationship with her & the time he spent with her definitely proved how much he truly loved her.

As for Annie & Ruth, the love that developed between them was touching. It was a love that had to be nurtured with delicacy. One you want to hold on to & pray you never lose again.

Now we come to the "sneaks upon you when you least expect it" love~ the love between Matt & Ruth. The fact that neither of them were looking for or prepared for love, & the way they each chose to deal with their feelings is what made their love so powerful.

Then there was the love & pain of sacrifice. The fact the Matt loved Ruth, but was willing to sacrifice marrying her to prevent the chance of Annie suffering through another mother leaving her was touching, but painful.
But the sacrifice that really sat heavy on my heart was Ruth's. After seeing how much Matt & Annie loved & needed each other, if Annie proved to be Ruth's missing daughter, Ruth was willing to sacrifice her right to claim & take Annie from Matt because she loved Annie enough to realize that she would not be happy away from her dad.
Yes, I was definitely wiping the tears from my eyes.

This is truly a beautiful story. Even the bond between Annie & Edith, Tanner, JT & Seth (the people who work for Matt) was heart-warming.
As for the "intimacy" that I thought would be in the story because of the cover? Yes, there was definitely intimacy, more emotional than physical, but never-the-less, it was most definitely intimacy!
Definitely a re-read, & I will be looking for more of Mrs. Watters' books.
on April 22, 2013
One thing that I've noticed about Patricia Watters is that even though she includes occasional steamy scenes (steamy but not explicit), the thing that strikes me the most coming away from her books is how well she deals with hard subject matter and emotions. This book is no exception.

Ruth has just become the new nanny for Matt's daughter Annie... except that she's pretty sure Annie is actually the daughter that was stolen from her when she was just two years old and that her name is really Beth. Becoming Annie's nanny is the only way that she can get close enough to the girl to find out if she truly is Beth, and not only that but it gives her a way to reconnect with the child that she is almost positive is her daughter. While she's truly relieved to find that Matthew is a responsible and loving parent to Annie, resolving the worst of her fears if Annie turns out to be Beth, she also realizes that this places her in an even bigger bind because Matt obviously loves his daughter and will do anything to keep her... just like Ruth will. The worst part of the entire arrangement is that there are definitely sparks flying between her and Matt, but she's resolved not to give in.

Can I just say how freaking REFRESHING it is to read about a heroine who really WON'T give in to the seduction? She loses her head for a moment or two, keeping the romantic tension alive, but she always gets it back. This is not one of those "oh my... his kiss spun me around and then I fell down without my clothes and my legs wide open and oh my how did that happen?" romances. Nope. Ruth sticks to her guns and she's not about to give in to going against her principles just because a man's kiss makes her knees weak. Even better, Matt comes around to realize that his alpha-male act, while sexy, is not the way to a woman's heart even if it is the way it some women's pants and that Ruth deserves a lot more than live-in mistress and nanny status. Of course, she has to refuse him over and over and shove that fact in his face in order for him to realize it, but at least he DOES (I've read plenty of books where the Hero never cops to that fact and the Heroine gives in eventually... so, so nice to read about a Heroine who won't!).

The end wraps up rather quickly but believably (to me anyway) and I went away from the book with a feeling of major satisfaction. Looking forward to reading some more Patricia Watters!
on July 1, 2013
This book was horribly predictable with even worse grammar mistakes as well as overuse of sentences that begin with "but". Lead vs led usage is a mistake that an educated writer should not make and an editor should find. I stopped after page 20 and skipped to the end. No wonder it's free.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
And sees nothing wrong with it. Because that's how cowboys do it, and his girl is "one of the boys."

A man who sees nothing wrong with that is disturbed.
on July 29, 2013
I was intrigued by the premise of this book and figured for free I'd give it a try. Glad it was free. Without giving anything away; I'll just say I could tell you how the book would end before I even got too far into reading it. Since I just refuse to not finish a book; I did read it through. There are more books in this series which I won't be reading.
on July 18, 2013
Ruth had her daughter stolen from her when her child was two. She would now be six, and Ruth has never stopped looking for her. She applied for a job as a nanny on the Kincaid ranch because a little girl who could be her daughter was adopted there. Little Annie is a hellion. Annie introduces herself to Ruth on the first meeting by bouncing a rubber chicken off of Ruth's head.
Matt Kincaid is the owner of the ranch and Annie's adoptive father. He is now divorced because his wife left him when Annie was 2 1/2. The wife had dreams to become a country singer. Matt loved Annie above all else. Ruth realized this by watching the two of them together. She also noted the feeling was mutual because Annie returned that love to him. Father and daughter were inseparable.
Ruth needed to get a DNA test from Annie and get it to the lab where it would be tested to prove she was the mother. It would not be admissible in court due to the chain of evidence, but it would be enough to get a court order for one that would be.She also needed to find out about the adoption and get a copy of the birth certificate without raising suspicion.
Matt was very closed mouthed about the adoption agency. After finding out from his housekeeper that Ruth had been in his office files, his suspicions grew. At the same time, he and Ruth were fighting a very strong attraction to one another.
Ruth had won Annie's love and trust while she was there, but facts now pointed to Annie being her child. When Matt discovers the true purpose for her being there, will he take Annie and run? Will Ruth take Annie? Now, the ex-wife is suing for joint custody. She hasn't had a thing to do with Annie since she left.
This is a story that draws you in and makes you feel as if you are a part of it. A very good read and a testimonial to a mother's very determined love to find the child that was taken from her.
on June 21, 2014
I was all set to give this book a 3-star rating because the guy's an Alpha-1 jerk and she's too wishy-washy. Yeah, she tells him she won't have sex with him, but she needs to tell him to keep his hands off of her, too, and jeez, sister, go put your clothes on instead of just *wishing* your bathing suit weren't so skimpy. But the concluding chapter is just so well written and wraps everything up nicely, and the daughter is just so darn cute and has the best lines in the whole book, so that pulled the rating up to a 4.

Oh, BTW, I already read the next book in the series, Righteous Lies, and it's better, so go ahead and get that one too.
on April 4, 2013
Very good story. Hated the rich guy wins all ending...No remorse, typical contemporary ending to a truly heart rending loss of her baby. Characters were deep, and yet a bit self absorbed. Author did a good job relaying some human emotions, but no true mother would agree to marry the man who purchased her child within a few hours of knowing he held that child from the biological parent for several years-- Evan with his doubts.