Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
K-Cup Coffee Grounds Why are coffee grounds found in some cups of coffee? It can't be the brand of K-Cups because it happens with all the brands.
asked by Amazon Customer on June 6, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
The only times I have found grounds in the coffee was when I used the Green Mountain brand. Upon inspection of the K-Cup I found that the foil on the top of the K-Cup had not been completely sealed. Also, the coffee itself is suspended about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the K-Cup in its own little mini-filter. If the mini-filter is loose or damaged on the inside of the K-Cup, you will get grounds in your coffee.

We have many filters left over from our previous whole pot brewers so we have developed a method using a funnel, one of the filters and a Pyrex pitcher to filter the grounds out of the coffee if it happens again.
Doubting User answered on August 13, 2008
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would wager that the problem is with the K-Cup itself. If the foil cover of the K-Cup is not fully sealed or if the filter inside the K-Cup is not fully adhered to the sides of the K-Cup, you will get grounds in the coffee. As I said in a previous post, I find that this happens most frequently with the Green Mountain brands.

The next time you get grounds in your coffee, carefully perform an autopsy on the K-Cup. I am sure you will find a gap in the seal of either the foil cover to the top of the K-Cup or the internal filter to the inside of the K-Cup..

By the way, just because you found that two cups in a row had grounds in them doesn't mean that the K-Cup isn't the problem. If you do not clean the grounds out of the part that holds the K-Cup, you will get grounds in that second cup. We have even received a box of K-Cups that had (dry) grounds floating around in the box and there was a defective (empty) K-Cup in the box.
Doubting User answered on February 16, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have also had a problem with finding grounds in the coffee. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough for it to be a problem. I don't think it's a problem with a single cup being bad because sometimes it happens to two cups in a row.
Loves to read answered on February 16, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I found grounds in my coffee the other morning. I thought it was very odd as it had never happened before and I thought these brewers were "ground proof".
I did as suggested and performed an autopsy on the k-cup as I was curious. I found that a portion of the filter inside the k-cup wasn't sealed to the to the inside of the k-cup--therefore I got grounds in my coffee. By the way, the brand was Emeril's Big Easy Bold (great coffee).
Stephen A. Mosley answered on July 3, 2009

A
I too am finding that every so often, I find coffee grounds in my coffee cup. I have not done an atopsy on my cup but I know its not completely sealed and that is the problem. I haven't contacted Amazon regarding this problem (I use Timothy's) but I am going to today. I feel that the k cups are expensive and, (even though I buy them through Amazon) should be replaced free of all charges...I have had it happen this month for the first time, and its happened 7 times so far....perhaps a problem at the factory when they were filled....but I don't want to pay for something that I cannot use.
BTW...David who is selling the reusable lids to k cups has a great idea, but I feel they are way too expensive....if he sold them for less he would most likely sell a lot more of them. I got Keuerig coffee machine as a gift, I love it, but it is an expensve way of getting my coffee, the reason I like it so much, is it's a convieniece...so filling my own kcups would seem to remove that convience to a large degree. (I use about 4 k cups a day average)
Judy Bodnar answered on April 25, 2010

A
I just contacted Amazon regarding my problem that I mentioned above. They were absolutely wonderful about it and gave me $10. coupon due to the fact that this last batch of k cups had so many leaky cups. I was told to contact them again if I should experience the problem with future any order. I hope that the mfgs. of k cups can find a way to improve the sealing of k cups so we won't have to experience this problem even rarely. I say we should contact the mfgs every time it happens..I have a feeling that much of the leaks in k cups go unreported....therefore the problem continues.
Judy Bodnar answered on April 25, 2010

A
I have had grounds in my Tullys coffee. I discovered the cup was damaged. This can be detected without brewing. If you look at the top edge of the cup where it meets the foil, you will notice a crimp. Some of these are slight, and some are very obvious. everyone with this cup damage produces grinds in my cup. I have a service that delivers to my business. I am able to return them.
Amazon Customer answered on January 21, 2013

A
that's really strange.. in all the cups of coffee I have made for over a year I have never had coffee grounds.. well I take that back.. once but that was because I opened the K-cup.. :)... that was the first one..
J. Collins answered on July 12, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Easy answer - Use My-Kaps, they work perfectly. ...and once you remove the foil, you can use them 20-30 time over and over again. Produces great coffee from fine grind Copan Trade, Tim Horton's, etc.
David W. Michelson answered on June 9, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I shook my K Cup prior to brewing it... don't know why, but if there is a filter at the bottom of them that would explain why I got grounds in my cup. Perhaps people are shaking them without even thinking about it. I also get my K's from a web site called "stock buggy". They seem to have the lowest pricing and if you spend enough money you get a discount and free shipping.
A. Quantmeyer answered on January 25, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product