Published on February 24, 2012 by gr2

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but still some weird design decisions
Published 12 months ago by matt-h

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, blows away the Gorpo handlebar mount. But, WAY overpriced!, February 24, 2012
I purchased this handlebar mount because I was having issues with my GoPro handlebar mount. The GoPro mount caused the video to jitter on every single little bump. I found the K-Edge handlebar mount somewhere on the Web and it had raved reviews. I was reluctant to pay over $50 for it, but I decided I'll try it and if it doesn't live up to its hype, I'll just return it for a refund. So, I had a comparison, being the GoPro mount and in my mind, I was VERY skeptical if the K-Edge mount would make any difference. I had very very low expectations going into this purchase. Anyhow, when I got the K-Edge mount, I immediately put it on my road bike (early model Trek Madone). Right then and there, I noticed that the clamp was too big for my handlebar! I thought, this can't be! No matter how I configured it, it was just too big. Fortunately, I had some shims from my Garmin Edge 705 device. After carefully cutting the rubber shims and zip tying it to the inside of the K-Edge clamp, it fit perfect. So, hurtle number one fixed. After that, everything just fell into place. I was able to mount my GorPro (Hero 2) camera without any hitches. So, the next day I went for a ride. I tried both 1080p (30fps, Medium FOV) and timelapse. The whole time, the GoPro didn't move no matter what bumps I went over. With the GoPro mount, I had to constantly realign and tighten the bolts. Not the case with the K-Edge. So, I was impressed by that. When I got home, I downloaded all the content onto my PC. After watching the first 5 minutes of the 1080p video, my jaw dropped to the ground! There was almost no vibrations visible in the video. I was blown away! I tried it again, several times, and I was getting the same results. I live out near the country, and the roads are filled with cracks and bumps, but this mount made it look like I was riding on new pavement. So, that's the good.

The bad:
1.) It's WAY over priced. I was reluctant to buy it simply because it costs over $50, it should cost around $30. But if you want professional grade video footage, this is the way to go.
2.) The size of the clamp may not fit your handlebar, it didn't fit on mine. But the solution to this problem is to use some rubber shims. In my opinion, for the price, they should include this in the package.
3.) You have to carry around an allen wrench if you want to remove the camera.

Overall:
I'm absolutely satisfied with this product and would recommend it to anyone. Despite the drawbacks, I gave it 5 stars for its quality and the fact that it met my expectations in regards to the quality of the video that it can deliver.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but still some weird design decisions, September 13, 2013
This review is from: K-EDGE GO BIG Pro Handlebar Mount for GoPro Hero (K13-420 Black) (Camera)
I went into this with my eyes open, having read all of the helpful reviews here. So you'll see that my take mirrors much of what others have said. One issue that I have not seen addressed is K-EDGE's decision to fasten the GoPro with a allen key nut, rather than the thumbscrew that GoPro uses for its mounts. Since I move my GoPro from place to place, that does not work for me, and I have subbed one of the thumbscrews for the bolt that K-EDGE (why all caps?) includes.

PROS:
-solid
-reasonably attractive
-GoPro will not come loose if instructions are followed

CONS:
-overpriced. Sure, they get some slack for being first to market and domestic, but for what it is, it's 30-50% more than it should be. They need to drop the price FAST before a Chinese knockoff of similar quality way undercuts them
-the oft mentioned handle bar diameter issue. K-EDGE really should include shims with the unit. Sure, I can cobble together my own, but they won't be as nice.
-the fit of the slots on the K-EDGE to the GoPro is too tight. Each time I insert it, I really have to fight with it.
-lack of thumbscrew as discussed above.

This should have been a 5 star review, but can't in good conscience give that because of the cons I've mentioned.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why not make the product available for both types of handle bars?, August 19, 2013
This is a product I love to hate. My 2003 Diamondback mountain bike has a regular (thinner) handlebar, as do most of the other 40+ bikes in my apartment building's bike room. So even before I added this item to my cart, I knew I'd be in for some frustration. I had no choice but to buy this product because the plastic GoPro handlebar mount vibrates excessively, creating videos that look awful, even on smooth asphalt trails. The plastic GoPro handlebar mount also breaks within a few months of use. Because the K-Edge mount is not intended for my handlebars, I ended up using some discarded inner-tube rubber to wrap around my handlebars to accommodate the extra size. The K-Edge looks nice, feels nice, but it's very unforgiving: it's quite an inconvenience to use a hex wrench to remove the mount from the handlebars or to remove the GoPro housing from the K-Edge. Because of this, I've decided to leave my GoPro housing and K-Edge mount permanently mounted to my handlebars for the summer. I miss the easy removal using the large thumb screws used on the cheaper plastic GoPro mount. A product this simple yet insultingly expensive should be manufactured perfectly, 100% of the time. Zero defects. But that's not what you get from K-Edge: It's not perfectly machined. The tiny groove where you physically slide your GoPro camera housing onto the K-Edge exhibited some sheared meal shavings that were probably created by the machine that drilled the hole for the hex screw. I'm referring to the single hole and screw that secures the GoPro housing to the K-Edge. This tiny bit of sheared metal shavings means it physically scratches and scrapes tiny bits of plastic off my GoPro housing each time I need to remove it from the K-Edge. It's obvious that it will eventually wear out the very plastic holds the GoPro housing to the K-Edge. This is yet another reason to leave it permanently mounted. This is also why I say the K-Edge is very unforgiving. The only reason I bought this product is because it's superior to GoPro's handlebar mount and most importantly, there's no alternative to the alternative. The price is a complete ripoff and I feel as if the manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank as I fumble about with it being the wrong size for my handlebar and because it's very difficult to install & remove. This is why I love to hate this product: my videos look rock solid smooth (which is awesome), but I dislike using the product and all the frustrating workarounds I now have to put up with.

3.0 out of 5 stars better than gopro mounts, August 5, 2013
Bayly (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
Pros:
- very stable platform producing a stable image
- easy to install
Cons:
- Comes with cheap hex screws that are easy to strip but if not tightened enough will back out since the item doesn't come with washer/nuts
-only one size/ requires shims for smaller diameter handle bars

5.0 out of 5 stars GoBig seat rail mount for GoPro camera, December 29, 2011
The GoBig seat rail mount from Kedge works much better at securing the camera then the mounts that come with the kit. I recently rode on some very bumpy mountain trails and found the footage shot with this mount exceptional.

3.0 out of 5 stars Go Pro factory handlebar mounts just suck., February 17, 2014
I broke two factory mounts at the same spot. They're just terribly designed. So I started looking around and found the K-Edge ones. This mounts securely to the handlebar, but unfortunately will not hold the camera upright on top of the bar. The only way to keep the camera from pointing to the ground in front of you, or up to the sky above you, is to mount the camera under the bar. This works well (you have to remember to reverse the image in the camera), unless your cables get in the way. That's what happened on my road bike, so I bought the more expensive one with the extended boom, to place the camera out in front of the cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but high quality, June 1, 2013
I bought this to hold my GoPro on the road bike for a high speed descent down Clingmans Dome. This held the camera solid, and did not induce any vibration or shakes into the video. It is expensive, but it is so much better than any of the OEM GoPro mounts. If you have a 26.0 handlebar, this will not fit, it is designed for the 31.8 handlebar. It clamps pretty tight, so be careful when tightening on carbon bars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 31, 2013
I bought this product having the same jitter results with the Gopro version as everyone else does. First the fit: not sure where the other reviewer who said it didn't fit right was coming from. If you have a 31.8 bar it fits perfect!!

I was worried about the manueverabliity of the mount being fixed but I was able to get my camera in several position just by flipping it over.
A+ product, C- for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but, very worth it!, April 11, 2013
After searching and searching for an ideal mount for my GoPro, I finally believed this might be the right one. The mount is solid enough where I can lift the bike from the mount!!

I loved the idea of the handlebar mount, and had used the GoPro mount from time to time, but was never "in love" with the mount. I would have issues with the mount sliding around (even with using pieces of tube to help eliminate the slip.) which would leave me using a helmet mount and a stiff neck after a couple of hours of riding (and lots of uneven video as I'm constantly looking around me as I'm riding.)

A few things to note, the mount does say it fits 31.8mm bars, which is the common standard for bike shop bikes these days.

Many large box stores will still use 25.4mm handlebars. For those of you that encounter this, consider using something like the Wheels Manufacturing 25.4-31.8 Handlebar Shim.

As far as needing an Allen wrench to attach the camera, I was able to use the original GoPro mounting bolt without any issues, so this would be a non-issue for me. I did also put a drop of Loctite on all of the attachment bolts as added safety.

Only thing that I wish was that the mount would "look good" if the attachment point was flipped over to the other side, but, thats cosmetic only.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's with this price, May 7, 2014
Best GoPro bike mount by far. Slim design but very durable and locks your GoPro into place very tight. I use it with my GoPro Hero 3+ Black on my road bike and I love it. Flip it around for different views, or you could attach the 90 degree mount and have even more choices. It's a shame no other company has made this yet as K-Edge is clearly taking advantage of it with the ridiculous price.

Functionality = 5/5
Price =1/5

K-EDGE GO BIG Pro Handlebar Mount for GoPro Hero (K13-420 Black)
$59.99 $45.89