4.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for an Ultra Portable Laptop
Published 8 months ago by Erin G.

1.0 out of 5 stars Static Buzzing Clicking Sound Coming From Hard Drive
Published 3 months ago by Art Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for an Ultra Portable Laptop, April 26, 2014
This review is from: ASUS K200MA-DS01T-BL 11.6-Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I purchased the ASUS K200MA as an alternative to my larger 17" laptop and my cumbersome Samsung Tab 2 (with far less processing power). In relation to work, I must always be able to access our office network remotely, which meant that I was always tied to carrying a device (and a rather large one, in my case). This has proven difficult as I had yet to settle on a portable device that met my needs - until now. Within 3 days of owning this baby, I'm able to slide it into my purse and go, and I barely know it's there.

PROS:
- Great battery life. A single charge gets me through an 8 hour day with moderate to slightly heave use. As the specs say, it's a 5-6 hour charge, and it has thus far held to that. What this means for me is that I don't have to carry a charger as well as the device - unless I plan on being away for more than an average work day.
- Light & easy to carry. In the world of laptops, I'm surprised at just how light this is. I purchased the AmazonBasics 11.6" Sleeve to go with it, and both fit in my purse and shoulder bag with ease. The weight doesn't weigh me down, and I live in NYC and do a LOT of walking - so I would notice quickly if it became cumbersome.
- Starts up quickly and easily. There has been some mention about how much better this laptop would be with a SSD rather than a HDD, and for the most part I agree. However, I'm still impressed with how quickly and smoothly it starts up.
- Best when used for running a single program or "task". In my case, I'm able to remote-in quickly and easily without lag, and LogMeIn doesn't slow down or freeze as it does on a tablet or some other devices.
- Sound is spectacular. I immediately discovered this and downloaded my Amazon playlist for music on the go.
- Although I didn't purchase this for the touchscreen, I have to say that it's very responsive which makes it enjoyable and useful.

CONS:
- This laptop does NOT like video playback. I've tried several methods, including directly connecting it via LAN, and Netflix is jerky at best. Because of that, it's difficult to judge video quality overall, and unfortunately I don't have a peripheral DVD or Blu-Ray player with which I could do more testing. Even YouTube seems to lock and freeze, and you get a sense of buffering when it does play. I've learned to allow videos to load first, but I still find that the issue persists.
- Slows down & lags when multitasking. If you are a heavy multitasker, running multiple programs and surfing the web at once, this device will frustrate you. I've learned to allow the laptop to finish loading a large web page or opening a new document before I switch between tasks/programs. As I mentioned before, this is not a big deal for me as this laptop serves a singular purpose and I will not be using this to run more than maybe two programs at once.
- ASUS Smart Gesture does not always work as intended. I've defaulted to relying on the touchscreen to interact with the Win8 Start Menu, which I favor anyway. But for some people that may have used this in the past, it might be frustrating.
- Total fingerprint magnet. Drives me nuts. I suggest purchasing a screen protector as well - especially if you're going to allow someone with greasy hands to touch the screen.

WHO SHOULD BUY THIS LAPTOP:
This makes a GREAT secondary device for anyone that needs mobility but has something more powerful as a main device. Moderate use of word processing, email, web, skype, and other lightweight programs work great on this machine. If you have a tablet, but need a little more power (or favor a keyboard) this is for you.

WHO SHOULDN'T BUY THIS LAPTOP:
If you're a gamer, heavy multitasker, graphic designer, or video editor, this machine will more than likely fall beneath your processing needs.

A QUICK NOTE ON WINDOWS 8:
I have been a Windows 8 user for over a year. I have dealt with the frustration of adapting to the new OS (without a touchscreen) and the seemingly steep learning curve. However, I now love it, and find it to be such a blessing that my settings are easily shared between computers.

The biggest tip that I can offer new Win8 users (aside from starting with 8.1 instead of 8.0) is to remove any and all apps that come preinstalled that you don't need.

Next, make sure to customize your start screen by undocking any icons that you don't use, and pushing the programs that you frequently use to the top. I tend to dock my most frequently used programs to the task bar for easy access, but this is all up to you. And if you are lost on where to find your control panel, open the start menu and begin to type "control panel" and you will see a search box appear with a list of programs matching your query. From there, you can dock the icon if you like. Follow this process to setup easy access for other programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this little laptop!!, May 24, 2014
I felt frustrated after purchasing an iPad because there were so many things that I couldn't do on it. For example, since the iPad did not have flash, I could not complete online assignments that required flash. This 3 lb small laptop has a key board that is comfortable to type on and it is a fully-functional, super-portable laptop. I use it mainly for school and for my needs has been so much more convenient to use than an iPad. I know it's a completely different product, but if you're looking for portability, note-taking, reading power points, writing papers, doing things online, this is really a fantastic little computer. It's a great price and super fast. It also has a normal HDMI so I can also connect it to my larger monitor when I'm home. Since I hate Windows 8, I installed a "skin" called start8 to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7. I am very happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, May 3, 2014
Very nice laptop. Small, light, and powerful. A good value.

Wish it had a lighted keyboard, but that is minor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Static Buzzing Clicking Sound Coming From Hard Drive, September 16, 2014
Art Girl (East Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this ASUS and it would be perfect except that the hard drive made a constant loud static/buzzing sound along with loud clicking/jamming noises like something was being jammed. These noises happened whether it was idle or in use. I replaced it with another one (same model) and it is making even louder non-stop buzzing/static sounds and there are occasional light clicking sounds. My husband and I went by Best Buy to see if they had any on the floor that we could listen to, but they didn't have one. So we contacted ASUS customer service and they said that the noise is typical for this model. We have 2 other ASUS (different models) and 2 Dell laptops and they are soundless. Sending this back and will look for a different notebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and good looking, May 20, 2014
I am happy for this purchase. It is very light and I like the color. I can easily carry it everywhere without hurting my back. It's work very well too. and the battery is amazing... I never had a computer that I can use up to 5-6 hours when the battery is full. Amazing.... it is very good for basic need like working on documents and browsing. But if you need computer for multipurpose task which need a lot of space, I do not recommend this.

3.0 out of 5 stars ASUS is great, USB ports are horrible, August 20, 2014
I actually love the asus, however, I have only had it a few months and 2 of the 3 USB ports are already not working.
VERY frustrating!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, May 23, 2014
I love this computer. I've owned a Toshiba, Sony and a Lenovo and I love how fast his computer is. It doesn't have a lot of ASUS computer maintenance products, self fix, like Sony and Lenovo but for what you pay for it it's great. Fast, light and easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS LITTLE LAPTOP, ESPECIALLY WITH IT'S TEAL BLUE COVER,; NOT SO FOND OF ASUS, THE COMPANY, October 16, 2014
I would recommend this product because I love ASUS products even though I have purchased two of the ASUS Transformers and both came apart in less than 6 months and ASUS would do nothing for me, stating they assume if the case is coming apart, you dropped, PERIOD. I didn't drop either one and kept them in covers to avoid such issues. Bur their products offer the most for the price, so I bought this little laptop specifically because it was a touch screen and the size was more manageable than my 15.6" ot 17.3", both of which I sold to downsize to this one. It is a little small but has all the feaatures an average user like me needs. And now with One Drive, I can open allmy Word and Excel docs anywhere. Oh and yes, I bought it because the case is Teal Blue which appeals to my senses. Silly lady, I know, but I am always attracted to a product by it's color first, even my car. I knew what color I wanted and nothing else would do. So, if you're willing to take a risk with the company's lack of customer service which I've heard many complaints about, or you make sure to buy a "cover to cover" warranty, go ahead with the ASUS. And even if you have a problem, the price is so reasonable compared to anyone else, especially since they include Office 2013, it's not that expensive to just buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new computer, October 1, 2014
I love my new computer! I got this for school work because my last little notebook was so slow it wouldn't even load a video. I need to watch lectures, so I got a new computer! I like the windows 8 view. You can switch between the windows 8 view and the regular desktop view. It was a little tricky to figure out at first but then I realized that this computer comes with a full easy to use manual on the start bar at the bottom of the screen! I can hold two kids on my lap scroll around or type with the touchscreen!

Pros:
Fast start-up
Touchscreen makes it easier/faster to get around
Option for on screen keyboard when your hands are full
Lots of shortcuts both on touchscreen and touch-pad
can open multiple apps or pages and view/edit them side-by-side
Easy to switch between apps. You only have to slide a finger across the screen!
Sound is load and clear

Cons:
Could be faster. Videos/audio loads a somewhat slow, but not too slow that it's irritating
On-screen keyboard wants to pop up whenever you accidentally hit he wrong part of the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love takes time, October 8, 2014
T. Singer "JBS" (New York, Ny USA) - See all my reviews
I have read a number of reviews of this laptop and they gave me pause when I ordered it. Many of the problems that people reported were valid. I have come to the conclusion that most of the issues were related to failings in the operating system rather than the machine. It started out slow. The number of incremental updates to the operating system were pretty extreme. Having made it through those, i started to see the end of the tunnel when I discovered that there was a hardware agent that was eating up most of the processor time and system memory. That turned out to be a neighbors wireless printer that the update software was trying to connect to. Having deleted the printer, the computer returned to a low wait state with a snappy response. It took some patience but the machine is now as stable and more usable than my other laptops and the battery life is great. The sound is surprisingly good as is the portability.