Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 22, 2014
I ordered this product before the description properly depicted the machine that was for sale.

I worked with Amazon to correct this; but, I see now that they have the entirely wrong model in the headline. This is for the ASUS X200MA 90NB04U5-M02880 11.6-Inch Laptop.

This model number denotes this is the latest X200MA machine from Asus in white equipped with Intel® Celeron® Processor N2815 (1M Cache, up to 2.13 GHz) processor.

Windows 8.1 delivers a smooth experience with all of the features included on a more powerful notebook/desktop even in balanced power mode. I cranked up the high performance power mode settings to determine how well the battery coped. BatteryMon reports a discharge rate of around 6200mW with a constant 63% CPU load and 5300mW at idle. In Balanced power mode CPU load peaked at about 47% and discharging at 5500mW, 5% load discharge rate was around 4800mW. Finally, testing in Power saver mode at a 64% load discharge was 5500mW, 4% load discharge was around 4400mW. The battery capacity is measured at 31725mWh

I ran a PowerShell command to determine the Windows Experience Score (as it was removed from Windows 8.1) CPU Score 4.6, Direct 3D Score 4.1, Disk Score 5.9, Graphics Score 3.8, Memory Score 5.9, giving a base score of 3.8 due to the mild graphics processing.

I ran Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.3 x64 and found with a 1000MB Sequential read test the 6400RPM drive rated at 101.9 MB/s. Write tests at the same 1000MB threshold, averaged 101.6 MB/s. I found this to be more than fair.

Pros:
> This has the latest Intel Bay Trial N2815 quad core processor boasting a 1.86 GHz clock speed (2.13GHz Boost)
> 4GB DDR 1333 MHz SDRAM
> It's fairly light weight at just under 3lbs overall. In my experience the screen feels heavier than the base.
> 11.6" Touchscreen with a 1363*768 resolution.
> SDXC Card Reader
> 500GB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD
> 64-bit Windows 8.1
> The $329 price tag.

Cons:
> It doesn't have a backlit keyboard. (I know, what a thing to complain about.)
> ~5hr battery life. It feels as though it should be getting more in this day and age; but, as an entry level machine you really can't expect too much better. It's already nearly double than the previous version of this unit. 5hrs may not last you an intercontinental flight; but, it's not as terrible as you think.
> 1366*768 Screen resolution. With 7" tablets running 1920*1080, it could have been better. Though, again, as an entry level machine I wasn't expecting better.
> The $329 price tag. Honestly, with the few corners cut that could have put this machine over the top it seems they could have gotten away with a $299 price tag.

Summary:
Honestly, for an entry level machine and at nearly $300 you can't expect much. So if your expectations are correct, then you won't be disappointed. While the screen resolution could be a bit better allowing for crisper images, when you are streaming Netflix you wont notice it. It is still delivering an HD experience. It has plenty of power to push 720p video with no issue. While I haven't tested gaming on it, I expect it will deliver well for the casual gamer. Let's be honest no PC gamer is picking this up to play hardcore games on it in the first place.

At the end of the day, I bought this with the intention to take overseas, so I could travel light and still maintain a full keyboard with plenty of internal storage for the pictures that we'll be accumulating for the next 2 months in Europe. Once we're back I plan on updating this review with more insight into it's travel ability.

So far I feel it's excellent for the price and delivered exactly what I expected.
22 comments73 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're looking for a low cost laptop that is small enough to be considered a traveler, this is an acceptable option in the price range, and offers some more functionality than a Chromebook. It allows installation of regular Windows programs, while Chromebooks do not. This is one major differentiator in this laptop compared to other small low priced laptops you might consider.

How does it look and feel?

It looks beautiful. Design has moved a long way in the last few years, especially for less expensive computers. Upon inspection, you could almost mistake this for a Sony Vaio or other high end machine. Open the lid and the screen is shiny-- a touch screen. It also looks beautiful. The keyboard wrist rest is marred by stickers that still come on Windows machines, but easily removed. Next though are some hardware issues that I couldn't fix: The touch-pad is very springy like I have experienced on less expensive laptops. It did not meet my expectations. While it does function, it causes a lot of "retry" and less accuracy than even the most typical laptops. It looks very much like a Macbook Air touchpad, but that it is not. The keyboard works acceptably but the buttons there are also quite springy. Luckily I am a mouse person, so plugging in an Anywhere MX fixes my productivity and I move along to exploring the machine.

Plugging in my Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX for PC and Mac, I hop over into the desktop mode, since this is full Windows 8, and not Chromebook OS, or Windows RT, and install the Unifying software for my mouse. It goes fast, and everything about interacting with the OS is fast. Unfortunately though, the hard drive is loud and I can hear it cranking and cranking endlessly. I'm not sure if this is due to system updates on a new machine or why it has so much hard drive activity. I'll monitor this. The system has 4GB of memory and is 64 bit, so it shouldn't be crunching the hard drive so much or so loudly. I'd normally want to swap that out for an SSD if I had one around.

The next thing I did was install Chrome. Simple. During this process I hear some sounds and surprisingly, the sound is fantastic on this little laptop. A little more testing of the speakers may need to be explored on that later.

The other ASUS that I have which is similar is a ASUS VivoBook X202E-DH31T 11.6-Inch Touch Laptop. It's definitely heavier being that it is metal, and does have more of a solid premium feel. While the other is heavy duty, it's heavy and I wouldn't really consider it travel material in the way that this one is light and easy to carry.

If it came down to choosing between this device and a Chromebook, I would choose this every time because it has a more premium look & feel, has a touch screen and has the ability to install local applications. I don't necessarily personally prefer Windows 8, but as a mobility device it is more flexible than a Chromebook for nearly the same price, or a small increment more.

If I had my say on how it could be better, the only things I'd change would be to improve the feel of the touch-pad clicking, and to put an SSD in there, no matter how small. The hard drive is loud.

Otherwise, this is a very viable option when considered against tablets that can cost twice as much, laptops that can cost infinitely more, and Chromebooks which can cost less but offer a lot less flexibility. If you can't spend the money on an ultra book or you have minimal cash to spend on a laptop this option is quite nice compared to what you'd get just two years ago at the same price.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them in the forum below.
0Comment29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Edit 6/13/14: Just wanted to mention that I was finally able to figure out how to access the HDD to swap it out. You also have to remove two screws that are hidden underneath the two back rubber feet. You pry those rubber feet off, take out those screws, and then the entire bottom panel will snap off and you can access the HDD. Very cumbersome, but it can be done!

Edit 6/5/14: I wanted to add a quick comment here about upgrading this notebook. If you're thinking you'll go with this as an inexpensive route, and perhaps upgrade it later, or maybe make use of an SSD you happen to have on hand, think twice. I decided that I would go ahead and swap out the HDD with an SSD, but I've found it to be pretty much impossible.

You can take the screws off the bottom easily enough, but I have not found a way to pry the bottom section off to get to the internal components without risking cracking the casing. After some prying, it will snap apart relatively easily at the front, but the back section where the hinges are located just does not want to let go. I finally decided not to risk it and ended up closing it back up again.

Most laptops will allow you to change out the HDD or the memory fairly easily....but not this model. Very disappointing design, in my opinion...at least for anyone who may want to upgrade it later. I didn't change my original rating, however, because those who consider this a necessary "feature" are probably few. Nonetheless, I thought it was worth being aware of, thus my update.

If anyone who owns this unit has had success in this area, I would be thankful for any tips or tricks because I haven't been successful in this endeavor at all.

Original review here:

I've run this through its paces for about a week now, and overall I really like this notebook. Due to it's size, I really consider it a notebook more than an actual laptop...and ASUS themselves labels it as a notebook on the box it comes in.

Here are the main features I like:

1. Compact size...very thin and easy to slide into my briefcase
2. Impressive screen....no, it's not retina quality, but I have watched a couple of videos on it and the display was not disappointing.
3. Ports...two USB 2.0, one USB 3.0, one HDMI out, a full-size SD card slot, plus VGA and Ethernet. And, the usual ports for power and mic.
4. 500GB hard drive...plenty for my use.
5. Battery life...I got just under six hours before I had to re-charge.
6. Quick response time....although it only has a HDD and not an SSD (see below), I found the unit to be quite snappy when navigating the internet.
7. Touchscreen...very responsive and cool do work with, especially if you're working off the touchpad off the keyboard and not using a mouse.
8. 64-bit system...better utilization of RAM.

Here are the not so great areas you should be aware of:

1. The hard drive is a bit clunky and slow at start-up. If you're used to an SSD (which all my other PCs have), it will feel like an eternity. Just as a side comment, it comes with the hard drive split into two drives...the standard C drive, and another D drive for data storage.
2. It is surprisingly heavy for such a thin, compact unit. You put this in a case with a shoulder strap, and you'll soon know you're carrying around roughly 3 pounds of computing hardware.
3. Wish they would have gone with three 3.0 USB ports instead of the two 2.0 ports.
4. If you haven't tried Windows 8.1, it takes some getting used to. I'm not knocking the notebook for having it included (that's par for the course now with new computers). However, I do find myself clicking on the old Windows 7 interface that I'm used to. I have one other notebook with Windows 8.1, and over time I am sure I'll move fully over to the new platform.

For the price point and for "standard use," I do think it is a good choice despite the concerns I listed above. It's not for gaming or for HD video editing by any means, but for running Office applications, video viewing, and for surfing the internet it performs nicely. At a price (as of this writing) of just over $300, I think it's a good value for what you get.

If things change as I continue to use it, I will update this review. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer!
on May 10, 2014
I am truly surprised at what this laptop can do. My son uses it for a combination of games, educational websites and learning programs. It definitely does everything he wants it to do. He plays Lego games (including the newer Lego Movie and Lego Marvel Superheroes) on it, MineCraft, Club Penguin.

A lot of people are complaining about Windows 8, but my 8 year old son has zero issues figuring out how to get around Windows 8. So not sure what that says about the complainers. Windows 8 is an OS that was really built with tablets in mind and I fully admit it doesn't always lend itself well to laptops for certain purposes. However this laptop actually has a pretty responsive touchscreen and it makes navigating Windows 8 easier.

Overall all very surprised about the power this laptop possesses. The Celeron processor has come a long way. This one is dual core. The 4GB of RAM is a decent amount. You won't find a cheaper new true laptop out there. Surprisingly it doesn't feel as cheap as its price tag.

If you are expecting a workhorse laptop that will be used for business and hardcore gaming then you just aren't being realistic for $300. If you are comparing it to a $1200-2000 MacBook you are just insane. It's a $300 laptop, plain and simple. But that said, an amazing value for the price.
on June 3, 2014
I don't know a lot about computers, but have a 4 year old ASUS 16 inch laptop that has seen its' better days, so I was really just looking for another functional computer for surfing the web, checking my email, and typing up work/word documents, and this computer more than does the job. I was really opposed to the touchscreen and windows 8.1 but the laptop has a nice tutorial on how to become familiar with it really fast - I would recommend this computer for people who just need a basic operation system - probably wouldn't work the best for gaming though.
on June 22, 2014
I buy laptops all the time for my business..several per year since we are small but growing. Recent buys have been HP, ASUS, Acer and Lenovo. Other comparative recent purchase similar to this was the Lenovo (same size, similar specs, touchscreen etc). We've had problems with our Lenovo batteries and a hard drive crapping out with no warning. Acer, in my mind, is pretty much rubbish as far as build quality (problems with keyboards and the laptop housing), but their harddrives haven't died. Have not had recent issues with any HP (or older Compaq's) but those were a step up as far as the $$ spent.

Which brings me to ASUS. Prices are great. Build is great even on the cheapest ones we've bought. No problems with batteries or harddrives so far. This can change as brands seem to always go through cycles. But for the foreseeable future, I will be buying ASUS hands down.

These little gems we bought for some traveling sales reps. I had the pleasure of playing around with them (as I always do the setups still for all our gadgets before passing them on) for a weekend each. What impressed me the most was the battery life. The Lenovo we bought late last year with similar specs struggles to give you 3 hours. This was easily more than 5 but your results may vary. Screen was sharp, touchscreen works great.

The White version looks very nice. It's all plastic, but maybe the colour just makes it look like "expensive" plastic...lol. It doesn't feel creaky or anything like some all-plastic body laptops (looking at you Acer). Opening and closing an Acer is creaky and feels like it's weakening the laptop hinge. No such problem here..feels sturdy and soundless. The keyboard feels good, but I am concerned about the tiny visible space between keys and the body. That space, however minute, leaves room for stuff to fall in.

The mouse is fine, but feels a little on the flimsy side. I guess long term use will bear this one out.

As far as power and all that..I didn't throw too much intensive stuff at it. Ran a few programs at once like Excel and several browsers with several tabs open while I downloaded whatever programs needed installing. Handled it without any problem. Watched a World Cup match through HDMI connection to my tv. Worked flawlessly. Didn't do any gaming etc. but it's for work anyway. Most people buying a gaming machine probably are looking for different features than this.

For the price, it is a really great buy. Keep it up ASUS!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The 11.6 in. ASUS K200MA Touchscreen Laptop is quite similar to other 11.6 inch laptops in size and appearance, except that it is a bit chunkier and has a textured case which is easy to grip. Build quality is good and it feels fairly solid in the hand, weighing in at about 3 lbs.

The touchscreen and touchpad are fairly responsive and the RAM and processor are adequate for a small portable, not aggravating, though certainly not zippy. The standard keyboard is responsive but has no backlighting.

The screen is attractive if not very bright even on the highest setting, but in return, the 3,000 mAh battery life is over five hours after cycling the battery once. The AC adapter and plug are combined and the wall wart is fairly slim.

The camera and speakers are very functional. Sound quality is above average for a laptop in this price range. There is the standard 3.5mm audio jack for headphones or external speakers.

The hard drive is partitioned with 258 GB available for user data. That's a significant amount in light of the ubiquitousness of cloud storage.

There is an ethernet jack, often missing from similar portables, and of course Wi-Fi, although no Bluetooth. I frequently use Bluetooth accessories such as speakers and mice and am a bit puzzled by this omission.

There are VGA and HDMI ports and two USB 2.0 ports, but only one USB 3.0 port.

I am not fond of Windows 8.1, but this computer at least shipped with a current system that required minimal updates. Every time that touch keyboard pops up on the touchscreen just above the physical keyboard, my mind boggles. Why? I also spend a lot of time starting over in touch menus and going through the same sequences again and again.

Overall, a decidedly unexciting laptop, but one that is very serviceable, about what one would expect in this price range. I did review an ACER Aspire V5 a few months ago. This ASUS is comparable in function, although much slimmer and more attractive.
on July 3, 2014
I have been using this for over a week now and have observed the following:

Positive:

1) Using Windows 8.1 helps me to familiarize myself with the system. I have used a Chromebook but while I like it for its portability, it is still difficult to use as a machine to work with office documents on. On the Asus, I can run MS Office and work on my church's website and documents and still ensure portability among OSs. It's not the best OS, but it's the most widely-used.

2) It's not the lightest notebook - the Chromebook is a lot lighter - but it's very easy to carry about and small enough that I can carry about in a tote bag.

3) The screen is very bright and easy to see.

4) The white color is nice. Note that it's not ALL white - the screen edge itself is black - but it's a nice white color. :)

5) It's very useful as a second computer in another part of the house away from the main pc.

6) As compared to the Chromebook, this is much easier to use and more consistent in performance.

Negatives:

1) It's not a Mac - but this is a good alternative to a Macbook.

2) The keys are a bit stiff and the layout is not standard. But again, every laptop I have used has had a different keyboard layout, so ...

3) The battery life is short - only 5 hours on a full charge.

Would I recommend it? Yes, as a second computer if you need to take your Office documents with you and are not willing to spring for a MS Office 365 subscription. I do like it overall.
on August 9, 2014
I research everything down to the last detail, this is a 2.1ghz (which is a more up to date processor than the 2.1's in the price range which are usually already 1-2 years older) laptop with touchscreen capabilities and windows 8.1 simple as that. I bought it for my girlfriend that just wanted to watch Netflix and Facebook and type her papers for school. Does it all flawlessly. It's a good size, much lighter than a college book, awesome battery life, touchscreen works great, and barely heats up after long uses. Doesn't come with a CD/DVD slot but that is unnecessary anyways.

Only things I don't like are the Asus Bloatware that comes with it constantly asks you to register which I'm getting rid of anyways for her and that the pixel-count is relatively low so don't think you'll be getting HD netflix streaming.

We bought it for 270 and it showed up in 2 days - it said it was used but it came in all new screen and body plastic wrap with no signs of reported use at all.

But this for somebody that needs a computer for school and wants to do everything they want with a very responsive Touchscreen.

P.S. Don't be scared of Windows 8.1 - it's made a touch interface and it really shines when you're no stuck to using a mouse to get around, any trouble you might have - google it - it takes time to learn new things, google will be there to help you.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2014
This is a nice laptop, plain and simple. I am very thrilled I got it! The sound system on laptop is very nice. It is very easy to carry around, very light weight. You cannot be running a lot of programs in the background, as it does get sluggish but I have notice this with all "budget" laptops. I got this as a refurbished product, it looked brand new, no problems with the physical look of the case.There were a couple of issues with this laptop software. The touch screen turns off every time I close the lid. I have to go into device manager to get it running again. It only takes two seconds, but it still is a hassle to do it each time. The keyboard is rather noisy, which isn't a big deal, unless you are in class or the library, it gets quite detracting after a while. Last word of advice, I would not get white again, ever, it looks pretty but it gets dirty very easily.
Anyway, overall one of the best budget laptops I have received over the years! I would def recommend this product to anyone on a budget and looking for a decent laptop.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse