Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS K550CA-EH51T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 5, 2014
2014-JAN-06:

Unfortunately, I can't - yet.

I am a huge fan of Asus products. I am looking at my Asus monitor right now while I write this review, using my Asus motherboard (probably my 10th Asus mobo by now), and I have many other Asus products.

Before I go any further, I want to express my gratitude and pleasure dealing with Asus' 24/7 Technical Support phone line. Asus is providing the level of one-on-one service that used to be the standard for all great tech companies. Unfortunately for consumers, this is now an extremely rare level of service. BIG kudos (and +1 star) to Asus for this!

The K550-EH51T was a present for my wife. We have been using it for about 2 weeks now.

Overall, this should have been a decent laptop PC. The screen is good, and the PC is fairly responsive for a Core i5 processor. I absolutely detest the Windows 8 O/S, but that is mostly fixable through free apps (like "Classic Shell") that give you back a full Windows 7 user interface.

O/S issues aside, we have had two significant problems with our K550-EH51T:

1) The touchpad has been acting erratically, where the cursor "quivers" and jumps randomly when using the touchpad. The cursor is almost impossible to control with the touchpad when this happens. I called Asus tech support on this, and they had me uninstall the touchpad driver (without deleting the drivers from the hard drive) and reboot the PC to have the drivers automatically detected and reinstalled. This has worked - for now - but I can't say that I believe it to be a solid solution. Fortunately, we don't need to use the touchpad much, so this wasn't a deal-killer for us.

2) The installed WiFi adapter is constantly having issues. It is slow to make connection to websites. And, it randomly "forgets" the connection to my WiFi router. Sometimes, the WiFi adapter doesn't even show that there are any WiFi adapters available in the area, even though there are about a dozen. *THIS* is a deal-killer.

I have tried resetting the PC to factory defaults (for that fresh, out-of-the-box feeling) a few times now. I have not been able to fix the WiFi problems yet.

At this point, the laptop has (a) sporadic hardware problems; and/or (b) driver problems.

I am making one last-ditch effort to reinstall Win 8.1, and associated drivers. Maybe this last time will fix everything.

If not, I will return this laptop to Amazon, and replace it with the same model.

Stay tuned ... I will update this review with my progress.

********************************************

2014-JAN-10:

Reinstalling Win 8.1/drivers did not work. Sending laptop back to Amazon for a replacement. I will let you know how Asus laptop #2 works out.

********************************************

2014-JAN-14:

The replacement laptop arrived from Amazon. WiFi is failing in exactly the same ways. There must be a driver or hardware issue with the Qualcomm Atheros chipset (Other manufacturers are having similar issues with this chipset). I will be returning this Asus laptop, and purchasing something else.

Bummer.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
Love this laptop, loads up fast, touch screen, even though I heard a lot of negative reviews about windows 8, I love it so far, easy access to my emails, games, internet etc. all with a touch of a finger

I've read the negative reviews about this laptop no backlight, hinges are weak, touchpad not working properly

Well good thing I took typing classes back in high school backlight is not needed, hinges have no sign of weariness yet.. touchpad works perfect for me. I'd recommend this laptop.
on April 7, 2014
I've had this for a few months now and not a single problem. I upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8 gb. This system runs great, very fast. The only thing I didn't like was how the 500 gb hard drive was partitioned.
on September 26, 2014
ASUS has the single worst customer service and warranty program I have ever had to deal with. If you do buy their product, you'd better pray that you don't have any problems with it, because you won't get any help from ASUS. In the year that I had one of their laptops, mine broke down 5 times. Every time I sent it into their 'service' center, the part they replaced failed again within months, or even weeks. At the end I was so sick of spending hours and hours on the phone with them, paying to have my laptop shipped back time and again for repairs that I gave up. Amazon was great enough to offer me a partial refund for the unit, but ASUS refused to do anything. They also promised call backs from supervisors on at least 3 occasions and I still have never heard back from them.
Please save yourself the horrible headache and loss of data and time. Stick with Toshiba, or really anyone other than ASUS.
on October 12, 2014
Great laptop. Lot's of problems setting up because of windows 8. Microsoft knows about the problem and has a fix but you have to have someone take you to it. I would never recommend windows 8 to anyone.
on August 31, 2014
OK computer for school work. Would be nicer if it had bluetooth so that we didn't have to use up usb port on an adapter.
on May 30, 2015
excellent team , bun delivery time but the product came incomplete , lacking the charger so I had to buy one separately.
on December 24, 2013
Pros: Good lookin, 500 hd, responsive touchpad as well as touchscreen, snappy performance
Cons: no backlit keyboard, no ssd, 15 inch screen(too big to be lugging around and barely fits into my backpack which is designed for laptops)
Indifferent aspects: touchscreen(for someone trying to get work done a touchscreen isn't needed and actually takes more time to go from the touchpad to the touchscreen back to the touchpad in some instances), number keypad(not something i use)
I could go on talking about the pros and cons but everything is pretty much the same as other laptops around this pricepoint. The only difference and a real pain about Asus laptops is the backlit keyboard. One of the most underrated and overlooked option on a good laptop. The problem I have with Asus laptops is that figuring out if if they have a backlit keyboard or not is such a pain.
on April 18, 2015
I like my computer. I am not so sure about windows 8, but the computer works just fine.
on June 13, 2015
After 14 months I had to trash the computer. Overheated and fried.