Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 3, 2014
I am returning this product. It states "pure stevia" yet contains maltodextrin (sugar). The manufacturer, Neutraceuticals needs to make that information clear upfront. Many of us choose to use stevia to AVOID sugar. Very disappointed. I am told that this is your NEW formula which means many unsuspecting users of this will be surprised when receiving the new version...or may not even bother to look at the label if they have been using it for a long time. The powdered version I purchased along with this (from a different company) also says "maltodextrin and Product of China". Very, very disappointing!
44 comments26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2014
I had a large bottle last time and it was fantastic. I only needed a few drops in my coffee along with a teaspoon of raw organic Agave. It lasted a really long time. This last order I got two smaller bottles one for travel. Then I read the label and saw maltodextrin...I was furious! So believe me folks when I tell you this is no longer PURE Stevia! It doesn't even taste the same..tastes bitter...it's in the garbage now.
22 comments8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2011
I purchased this liquid for a diet program and have been very happy with it. It is not as sweet as the packets of stevia but in my tea or water it's great. Will continue to purchase this, just for sweeter preference (ex. strawberries) I still use the packets.
on December 31, 2012
Have tried many variations of Stevia over the years. After trying many brands and being disappointed, finally found the KAL liquid and hit pay dirt. I will not purchase any other brand! In restaurants I am often asked what it is. This leads to a sales presentation to anyone interested. No, I am not a paid rep, just an ordinary citizen that loves this product. It travels with me in my purse! Also, keep extra bottle at home!
on February 4, 2006
461 SERVINGS @ 4 DROPS PER SERVING = SAME DEAL AS THE NOW BRAND - CONVENIENCE & VALUE

IN A NUTSHELL:

The Vitamin Shoppe is a Mega-Vendor, like Swanson's, that I have had good experiences buying from.

EXCELLENT SUGAR SUBSTITUTE HAS HEALTH BENEFITS + NO WARNINGS,

This "VITAMIN SHOPPE 2 OZ. STEVIA LIQUID EXTRACT" is good stuff, and this is among the most economical and user-friendly ways to buy Stevia.

WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT:

Sweeter than sugar, that's what Stevia is, but that's not all.

Stevia has been shown to lower blood sugar levels in research involving healthy adults by increasing the secretion of insulin making Stevia useful for diabetics.

It also improves digestion and gastrointestinal function, and is useful for upset stomachs and to reduce gas and stomach acidity. Several recent studies have shown that it may improve the heart's muscle tone and promote the body's water loss. These properties are thought to contribute to lower blood pressure.

Stevia also has antiviral, antimicrobial and antibacterial characteristics. It's used for relieving bleeding gums, sore throats and cold sores in South America and Japan. Stevia has been shown to inhibit plaque formation and bacterial growth causing gum disease and tooth decay, and will not cause cavities. It may even reduce cravings for sweets which coupled with its lack of calories may be helpful in weight loss.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE SUGGESTS EVEN MORE:

There is anecdotal evidence that Stevia is good for skin problems like acne, cold sores, dermatitis and eczema, and may speed up the healing of cuts and scratches. There have even been reports that Stevia may be useful as a contraceptive, but that has not yet been substantiated by research.

FDA APPROVAL TO BE SOLD AS A FOOD SUPPLEMENT -- NOT A SWEETENER

Most of all, Stevia, unlike the artificial sweeteners we put in everything from soda to psyllium does not come with any health warnings from the FDA, and it will probably do you no harm. However, Stevia has not been approved to be sold as a sweetener even though it is a NATURAL SWEETENER LIKE SUGAR. Nevertheless, Stevia has been approved [since 1994] to be sold as a dietary supplement in the United States.

AFTER ALL THE SMOKE HAS CLEARED THIS IS FOOD - USE IT BY EATING IT!

Stevia can be substituted for sugar. It is a bit different tasting if one is use to sugar. I use it on many things where I can eliminate large amounts of honey and/or sugar such as;

1]- Herbal Tea, instead of sugar or honey.

2]- In multi-grain hot cereal, when you need to sweeten it, Stevia saves me a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of sugar per large bowl. In this case I just add about a teaspoon of honey and 1/8 teaspoon of stevia for the same effect. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar so use about 1/10th as much in place of sugar.

3]- Iced Tea.

MEDICINALLY SPEAKING:

A standardized extract of 57 mg. containing 85% "steviocides" in a beverage, is what Doctor James A. Duke, suggests in his famous, "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook".

ABOUT FORMS AND BRANDS: THIS IS THE "VITAMIN SHOPPE" BRAND IN DROPS [2 0Z.]

This particular form is ideal for when you are out, on vacation or at a resturant. In drops, it is possible to mix the stevia into whatever you are sweetening with just a turn of a spoon.

Also, this 2 ounce liquid extract will provide the same 461 servings of Stevia at 4 drops per serving as the "NOW" brand which I use interchangably with this item!

For most applications, when we don't have the liquid extract, we prefer Stevia in powder over the packets, as we can better measure, and use what we need for each individual use. Purchase Stevia in whatever form you are most comfortable using.

This "VITAMIN SHOPPE" brand Stevia LIQUID EXTRACT [2 oz.] is an excellent product and a terrific value. It seems exactly like the "NOW" brand, so when I order other items from the Vitamin Shoppe I usually include this exact item.

BOTTOM LINE:

"Planetary Formulas Stevia Powder 3.5 oz." is also excellent and it comes in a liquid as well. "Now" and "Nature's Way" are both excellent too, and have Stevia in powder, liquid and packets for convenient use. Any of the above choices are excellent, and we have used them all at one time or another, over the past 3-4 years on a daily basis.

In any event, Stevia in any form is an excellent, and healthier choice than virtually any other sweetener.

[I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY PRODUCT OR COMPANY]
0Comment12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2011
Arrived in great time and the product is excellent. No after taste and takes little to sweeten. Being natural is a bonus!
on September 12, 2010
Stevia in powdered form is very, very sweet. a dusting over tea is fine. I hesitated to try is droper form as I thought that it would oversweeten too easily. This produt is not that concentrated. Easier to control, but more expensive than the powder. Stevia is the bomb for sweeteners. meow
on January 9, 2014
KAL has recently changed their formula for this product and it is no longer "pure stevia," as the label claims, but contains harmful maltodrextrin, which is more dangerous for blood sugar levels than refined white sugar. Very disappointing, KAL. I will be warning everyone I know away from your products.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2013
I'm trying to get off my addiction to sugar. This product was recommended in a book, "Rich Food, Poor Food". So I bought it to try. It took a little adjustment, but I was used to sweetners like splenda. I like thie one because it's natural and is not made of processed chemicals. I used 5 drops in my coffee every morning and add it to water with lemon. It worked well with only a mionor bitter aftertaste. The more diluted the extract the less noticeable the aftertaste is. I will buy it again since it is supposed to be a healtier option to sugar..
on November 12, 2012
I just love this as a sweetner, natural, and tastes great! The liquid is so easy to use, and this size works for my purse.