App use:
This app connects you to Kayak to use their travel web site. I can do that for free using my web browser and I don't have to let them read my calendar, get my device ID and let them read my GPS data to know where I am. They can even send emails using your account and does not inform you and reads your personal confidential data.

Using their web...
Published on November 26, 2012 by JJCEO

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many permissions
This app might be good, might be bad, I will never know. I downloaded it and when it came to the permissions page I read send emails from users account without their permission.....what??? No thanks.
Published on November 28, 2012 by Kat8nine

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a travel tool but you still need to shop around for the best deals! It has a lot of permissions!, November 26, 2012
App use:

Using their web site means I don't have to pay a dollar. If I wanted the app it is free on Kayak's web site. The app also finds the good deals where they make commissions and not the best price for you if you are on a budget. (All of the travel sites do the same thing)

Main Page:
* Flights
* Hotels
* Cars
* Price alerts
* Flight tracker
* Trips

What I like:
It is a fast and accurate travel aid but it is not better than the same services available from Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity and others. They all gave the same answer and they all have apps that are available and free.

The app is fast and consolidates a lot of travel information access and data into one app. It is easier than searching the web for the same data but it generally will not give you the best prices.

What I don't like:
Like all of the other travel software they ignore the lower priced airlines for example (Southwest) even though they were 16 % less expensive on the airline tickets. Why, they don't get commissions like they do from the bigger airlines.

If you are really on a budget then you owe it to yourself to use the web and really shop the best deals on airlines and hotels. These apps want your business; they want to make a commission so why charge for the app and remove the ads?

I personally don't want an app that knows where I am and uses my email and reads my calendar and personal confidential data.

Summary:
It knows where you are using GPS, sends unknown emails using your account, reads your calendar and personal confidential information. What else do you want to know? Go to the web using the web site and you don't have to share all of this. On top of that they want $1.00 for an app to make commission off of you.

If you want it then get it while it is free. It is a tool but if you are really budget conscious then use several of these apps and also still shop around to the low price and higher quality airline carriers like Southwest.

While this app does what is says it guides you to the same airlines as all of the other web based travel sites and they all have free apps. It ignores lower cost alternatives if they don't get a commission so is the app working for you or for the major airlines and making a buck?

4 star app with 1 star permission access.

Size: The uncompressed size is 14.74 MB.

Application Permissions:
* Your location - fine GPS
* Your personal information - adds and modifies calendar events and sends email to guests without owner's knowledge. Read calendar events plus confidential information.
* Network communication - full internet access
* Storage - modify/delete storage contents
* Phone calls - read kindle state and identity
* Network communication - view network state, view WIFI state

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many permissions, November 28, 2012
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically a Specialized Browser that Offers One-Stop Convience (AD Free Version), November 30, 2014
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
"This PRO app is the same as the free app; the only difference is that there are is no text banner ads on result pages."

It says it right there on the product page - full disclosure. So it is rather silly to go jumping up and down about this being normally a premium app when there is a free one available. It's not like they are trying to fool anyone... seriously, folks really ought to READ before they go off hammering. But on the other hand, I do think the devs should put that caveat at the top of their product description; probably would have alleviated some the yammering (or maybe not).

As for the permissions and code, it is rather all legitimate for what the app offers to do. In fact, the dev team has removed permissions since it's last big showcase two years ago:

*Read only access to device state
*com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES
*Open network sockets
*Write to external storage
*Access fine (e.g., GPS) location
*Access information about Wi-Fi networks
*Access information about networks

The permissions of concern are all to do with GPS, and just like how any web browser, in fact EVERY web browser, from IE to Chrome to even Firefox, they want GPS to provide localized services and map provisions. And that is what this is, folks. A very specialized web browser.

So on the whole, this is actually a safe app for what it does, and it provides it's 99 cent value by removing advertising banners... yet I rather just do my own surfing and such. However, as a source of sheer one-stop convenience, it may appeal to you. I rate it three stars out of personal preference, yet I kick in the fourth as I seen other "special shopping/organizing" browser apps like this, and this is actually pretty cleanly executed. Hey, it doesn't go over the top with mining permissions or the REALLY pernicious ones- populate your homescreen with shortcuts or read/write browser settings (that one that always makes my eyes bug out).

So let's get real here, and call a spade a spade, and though I rather use a shovel, this is a decent spade.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Best friend on the toad!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
On our honeymoon, many years ago, we took a car trip to places I wanted to share with my wife from my childhood. Not sure how long we would spend in each place- nor what was available- we would arrive in an area and look for places to stay that seemed nice enough to consider. My "plan" was to drive down "hotel row" and pick out several places and write down their names. Then we would look for a public telephone [the good old days] and call to ask the question, "What is special at your hotel/motel and why would I choose you?" Being a bit shy and a bit strapped for cash, this gave me anonymity and some insight before confronting a desk clerk. It was a perfect system for me and we found some special places.
With a cell phone and "hot spot" for my Kindle- this ap is a great modern update to my system and a real boon to our travels. I would recommend it to both honeymooners and road warriors- a great way to make a quick financial discovery or begin the sorting process before a personal call to find out that still important question, "What is special about your hotel/motel and why would I choose you?'

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested for myself, November 26, 2012
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
I traveled a lot but never used Kayak yet. With the diverse reviews, I wanted to see for myself. Downloaded Google's free one first with no option from them to buy out of ads. Looked up hotels from a destination I stayed at a lot and the price was the same.. Kayak compares many sources and lets you choose who to buy from - no login needed by Kayak, but the free one did have an (1) ad. Uninstall Google's.
Installed Amazons, ran the same search with the same results... and no ads. For a veteran traveler, this is a great tool, all options in front of you by category. Kayak even built in maps and their own custom photos (not just copy/paste off vendor websites). This is a great faotd, I am having to say thanks Amazon again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for saving money on hotels, May 30, 2014
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
I needed place to stay for a one-night layover in Chicago (ORD). I tried my Kayak Pro app, which had some good prices on 2-star hotels. Then I tried the free Priceline app, which had a similar hotel price, except it was for a 3-star hotel. Finally, I looked for the same 3-star hotel on Kayak Pro. PriceLine was $62 for the night, and Kayak was $119 for a night at the exact same hotel (not including fees and taxes).

I also compared prices on booking airline tickets to Eastern Europe. Kayak was comparable to looking online at websites like Priceline. Online price was only about 3-4% less expensive than Kayak by finding a different carrier. When comparing the same carrier, the price was the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars people need to do research before posting naive reviews., November 26, 2012
Erica (Wilson, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
To the person who asked why would someone pay for this, the same reason people pay for most apps is because they hate ads & want adfree version. To the person who said kayak only uses airlines they can make money on, They only earn $ on the referrals so why wouldn't they want as many airlines as they can get? Of course if it were up to them they'd have them all but some airlines don't want to participate for their own reasons. And to the people always whining about permissions then having the nerve to talk about Amazon not doing its job is ridiculous & these reviews are always worse on the faotd, how many apps have you developed? Do you realize that most of these permissions are used for our convenience to make apps run better? Granted sometimes there are some apps that go overboard with permissions when they don't need them maybe be used to learn basic stuff but not to the extent that people act like! I wonder how much info you unknowing give away while browsing the internet on your home computers! How many people use Facebook & play Facebook games? I'll bet you don't check the"permissions" on the Facebook games like you do with these faotd! I bet it's more info than what kayak is getting from you when you use this app!
It's a free AD free app that is lated out for browsing on yourphone or tablet. It's the same deals you can get from their website that many people use so they must not all be bad deals. As with any traveling deals website you have to shop around! This is just 1 more option.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, useful app, November 26, 2012
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
So many trolls in the reviews. Just needed to say that.

1) Yes, this app does require permission to run and modify things, as does nearly every other app out there. Calm down.

2) Yes, kayak.com doesn't search some of the low cost or budget airlines. That is why it is *your* obligation to find the flight you want. Kayak is just a tool to help out. Oh, and more often than not, kayak does have the lowest prices.

Good app, I personally like the price alerts, flight trackers, and airport information functions, can't really speak about the hotel finding, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big upgrade from the free version, November 28, 2012
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
Just got this and used it on a flight yesterday. Especially liked the ability to check on my flight status. Since the weather was bad, I was concerned about the flight being delayed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad, December 5, 2012
Brian s. (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KAYAK PRO (App)
this app is sad. I pretty much know for a fact that all the cheaper Airlines are not even listed on here and you have to call them. I think that this app get a serious kick back from the airlines that they suggest if you book a flight through them. I believe that this company is a weak attempt to try to locate cheap flights and should not even exist.

KAYAK PRO