4.0 out of 5 stars Another good edition to the Sounds Eclectic line up
I've been a listener and fan of KCRWs Sounds Eclectic show for quite some time. Broadcasted out of Santa Monica, host Nic Harcourt features a great mix of music, interviews and live recordings during his two hour show.
Published on November 5, 2008 by S. Montgomery

Upon getting Sounds Eclectic from Amazon, I really didn't know what to expect, save for the definition of the term eclectic:

"To make up or combine elements from varied sources."

I'll give my thoughts on each of the 12 songs below.

Published on December 14, 2008 by The Matrix Fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good edition to the Sounds Eclectic line up, November 5, 2008
This review is from: KCRW's Sounds Eclectic: The Next One (Amazon.com Exclusive) (Audio CD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're a fan of indie music, this compilation is worth a listen, as are all the other Sounds Eclectic compilations. This CD is a good mix of both emerging and well known artists. Like all mix CDs (that weren't created by you), not every track is going to be a favorite, but you'll probably leave with one or two new artists you'll want to explore more.
As an interesting aside, this CD is actually replicated on demand by Amazon. Not sure why, but my best guess is to allow a larger catalog of lesser known artists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Sampler, October 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE NEXT ONE, another in the series of live in the studio recording by Santa Monica radio station KCRW provides a selection of tracks whose unifying characteristics seem to be that, well they're live in the studio and it seems like most are not signed to major labels. Overall, the quality level is consistently good, with a few gems and no real clinkers.

I came into this being familiar with a few tracks and a handful of these artists. Of the ones I am familiar with, the version of the Oscar winning song FALLING SLOWLY (Swell Sessions)is superior to the version on the latest Frames album, though pretty similar to one from the soundtrack of once. Despite this being a tad overexposed, it is a great song and performance. The intricate arrangement of HEART IT RACES by Architecture in Helsinki comes off pretty good in the live setting, but misses the more manic edge of the studio version. AUSTRAILIA by the Shins sounds head and shoulders more livelily here than in its original version. The band would be well advised to record that way in the future. The track by Spoon is great, but no different from the version on GIMME FICTION.

Of the artists that I was unfamiliar with, the two standouts are the Ting Tings and Goldspot. FRUIT MACHINE by the Ting tings is a punky rocker with a nice edge that will more than likely lead me to investigate their debut CD. TIMEBOMB by Goldspot is a lively piece of pop that stuck in my head from the first listen. Also of note is Bat For Lashes thumping WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO, a 80-ish sounding song with a sinister undertone. The rest are good, but have yet to distinguish themselves.

Overall this is a good collection that can introduce a buyer to some good new music. If you like what you hear, be sure to check out KCRW on internet radio as the bands here are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the eclectic playlists of that great station

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good tunes - but there's not enough cheese to go with the whine., December 14, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

"To make up or combine elements from varied sources."

I'll give my thoughts on each of the 12 songs below.

"Falling Slowly" by The Swell Season: In this duet, the male vocalist reminded me of Cat Stevens. The song combined a haunting piano melody with an acoustic guitar. This song is easy on the ears after a stressful day.

"Heart It Races" by Architecture in Helsinki: While the synthesizer & steelpan tune are fun to listen to, the lyrics sound like screeching. I would have liked this tune a bit more without the lyrics.

"Australia" by The Shins: I knew I had heard this song before, but it took me a while to remember - it was in the video game Project Gotham Racing 4. This is a fun little tune which conjures up images of driving with the top down, even if you've never played the game before.

"Until You Leave" by Stoney: I didn't get much out of this song. Melancholic lyrics like "There's nothing to do, you either get pissed up or you move" make this little more than a whiny ballad for me.

"You're a Wolf" by Sea Wolf: Here's another haunting melody on acoustic guitar. The lyrics tell the tale of a man (wolf?) torn between finding his lady love and heeding the warnings of an old gypsy. Another one I enjoyed.

"Home" by Great Northern: Remember the movie 21? Well, this song was in it. It's one of those songs that fit well into a romance film. The female singer reminds me of Elizabeth Thompson from the band "Medicine" - listen to the song "Time Baby III" on "The Crow" soundtrack, and you'll see what I mean.

"I Summon You" by Spoon: I like the peppy guitar riff and the floating piano melody on this one. Clever lyrics like "you got the weight of the world coming down like a mother's eye" keep this song in my head for hours.

"Fruit Machine" by The Ting Tings: It's not every day that I hear a song about a slot machine luring its prey back to lose all their money, and yet here it is. This song really stands out from the others on this disc. The punk melody is similar to the early Police song, "Driven to Tears".

"What's A Girl To Do" by Bat For Lashes: Here's yet another haunting tune to tug at your heartstrings. The passion is gone from her relationship, but she cares for her man so much, that she can't bear to end it....What's a girl to do, indeed?

"Stranger Than The Stranger" by Oliver Future: I never thought I would hear a song that sounded whinier than "I'm So Sorry" by The Smiths - and after hearing this song, I stand corrected. Not much else I can say.

"Time Bomb" by Goldspot: The sounds of this band remind me of Echo & The Bunnymen. The lyrics in this song don't make a whole lot of sense, but the guitar tune is pretty catchy.

"Life Is Still Beautiful" by The Orange Lights: At the end of the lineup, we get a song about wishing for the pain to go away, and it'll take some time, but since life is still beautiful, it'll be all right. Sorry, but this tune joins the other whiny ballads.

So did this sampler live up to the definition of "eclectic"? Absolutely. There's punk, Caribbean, pop, alternative, and other forms of music to be found here. The songs on this disc have popped up in video games, tv shows and movies.

I enjoyed quite a few songs on this sampler, and I can see myself trying a few bands on for size. Unfortunately, I also filled my quota of "life sucks, let's share our sorrows in song" ballads for the next 6 months.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Bit of Everything, May 28, 2009
D. Christen "dan_chris" (Rushville, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This CD is part of a series of stuio recordings for the CA based radio station KCRW. Most artists are unsigned and this is an interesting mix CD.

There really is no track, that is standing out for me. You get everything from Rock to Electronic, but for me, it is not a CD that I would play over and over again. However, if you are interested in truly independent music, then you might want to check this one out.

4.0 out of 5 stars a mixed bag in the best of senses, February 19, 2009
Nadyne Richmond (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This CD is a mixed bag in the best of senses: the songs on the disc have little in common with each other. They're all acoustic live performances, which I always love. It's a great introduction to some bands that I hadn't heard of, and gave me a chance to listen to some bands that some friends had recommended but I hadn't had the chance to follow up on.

My favourite track on the album is the opener, "Falling Slowly" by Swell Season. I could have done without the Adventures in Helsinki track. I've bought a couple of albums as a result of hearing the songs here, and will buy some more in the future. That's the mark of a great compilation: it inspires you to learn more about something you hear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection of indie songs, December 18, 2008
Shyam Sundar (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I buy a lot of CD's and I guess, I am more of a complete album listener than a compilation listener. This is a great compilation of indie songs and a good introduction to a few great artists (like the shins), if you haven't heard them before. If you are big into indie music like I am, you are better off buying complete albums but would highly recommend this to someone new to indie music. "Australia" and "Falling slowly" are stand out tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indie music lover's motherlode..., December 17, 2008
R. Lanthier (Vienna, VA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
KCRW is a public radio station based in Santa Monica and is affiliated with Santa Monica College and National Public Radio. The liner notes suggest that the station is a hotbed of indie music - and a perusal of their very slick web site (kcrw.com) confirms that this is true. This is the sixth in a series of compilations of recordings done live in their studios for the Morning Becomes Eclectic radio program. Included are an excellent selection of songs, from the Swell Season's haunting opener (Falling Slowly) to the jaunty ditty Heart it Races from Architecture in Helsinki (steel drums! been a while since I heard steel drums!) and everything in between. If you are into hearing new music from up and coming bands and supporting Indie music, check out this compilation! I have bookmarked the KCRW site and am looking to see if I can find the Morning Becomes Eclectic program on radio here in the DC area. Great find! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its Title, November 24, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
iTunes and Amazon MP3 has made compilation albums obsolete. Why buy a whole album when you can just buy the one or two songs that you know you like? But you can look at Sounds Eclectic: The Next One as more of a sampler as unless you are an indie music fan you may not now any of the artist let alone any of the songs as Spoon and The Shins lead the album in name recognition.

And the album does live up to its name with an array of different style from the sweeping epic by The Swell Season (you may remember them from winning the most recent Oscar for Best Original Song), the synthetics of Architecture in Helsinki, the quirky pop of The Ting-Tings, the hipster rock of Seawolf, and the haunting vibe of Bat for Lashes. All the songs were performed live at radio station KCRW and there are untouched from their original performance. So if you are looking for some new music, this may be the place to look.

3.0 out of 5 stars A compilation that lives up to its title, November 15, 2008
RG (California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This album really is an eclectic mix of music.

I admit I'm not necessarily the core audience for KCRW. I'm more mainstream alternative in my musical tastes. However I recognized a couple of acts (Spoon, The Shins) that I do like and decided to give it a listen.

It's hard to give such a diverse compilation an overall review without getting into detail about each song. There is such a wide range of musical styles on one album. I found The Shins tune did not disappoint me, although I didn't especially care for the Spoon song.

A couple of acts I wasn't familiar with did impress me - Orange Lights and Goldspot. In general the more "ethereal" sounding songs were pretty good, but I didn't care for the more quirky tunes like Fruit Machine or Heart It Races.

This is an album that really feels geared toward a hardcore KCRW fan. For me it was a mix of hits and misses. Overall it was ok. I would probably give it 3.5 stars if I could. But in the end it closer to 3 stars than 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mix tape made by your hip little sister that gets stuck in your CD player, November 14, 2008
Storylover (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Those who are familiar with Morning Becomes Eclectic will not be surprised by anything on this CD, because what you expect is what you get--interesting, creative bands bursting with energy and excitement, performing in a radio studio. This can, at its best moments, turn out really upbeat, thrilling performances--see The Shins "Australia" or "Fruit Machine" by the Ting Tings. The Shins I knew about and loved; the Ting Tings were a great discovery and I look forward to getting more. Other tracks seem less great, but still listenable (Oliver Future, "Stranger than the Stranger".) Nothing on this disc is going to make you stop the car, overcome with wonder. But this is quite an enjoyable disc for those who like indie-style pop in all its current varieties, from post-shoegazing to post-punk. Production values, are, as expected, fair. These are live in studio style tracks, so you get occasional wrong notes, which sort of adds to the charm. The band selection is interesting--some of these folks are really hot now, and it is great to hear tracks from when they were less well known and just performing their hearts out every chance they got. The flow of the disc is odd, because this is definitely not an album, but a collection. Ultimately, just as my title suggests, this is a very hip mix-tape, and like most mix tapes, the more you listen, the more fun you end up having. Reservedly recommended for those who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, unreservedly recommended for those who listen to KCRW and already know what they are in for.

Rate and Discover Movies