on June 24, 2010
I went out of my way to write this review because of my extremely positive experience with these shoes. I have never had a pair of shoes of any style, including running shoes, that fit so perfectly and can be worn for such a wide variety of activities. I hike every summer in the Cascade Mountains and have not found a better pair of hiking shoes than these. You can run in them. They look great for casual work places. They are sturdy, yet supple. You pay a premium ($90 to $100) but they last forever. They're water-resistant, too, though I would not say they are "water-proof."

They look great, breath fairly well, have great heel support, and are truly conforming to your foot after a few uses. I also have some Keen Newports for biking (with cleats) and I would have to say they are nowhere near the outstanding feel of the Arroyo IIs. The lack of support in the heel makes you feel like you're always leaning back on your feet. But, to stick with the review of the Arroyo II--you will not regret this purchase, guaranteed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2013
My Arroyo II's just arrived today. I want a good pair of hiking sandals for my first Grand Canyon trip this August, yet something that can get wet for Havasu Falls. I heard so many good things about Keens that I decided to try them for myself.

First, some things to consider. At first I was settled on the Keen Newport H2's, but after speaking to an associate at REI I learned that the tread of the H2's is not suited for hiking, and that the Arroyo II's would serve me better for mostly hiking. This point was obvious after examining the tread of both models; the Arroyo II's have a thicker tread for greater traction on dirt and rocks. They also seem more durable overall and are made of leather instead of nylon. The way he put it: The Newport H2's are mostly for water activities and some outdoor activities, and the Arroyo II's are mostly for hiking and some water activities. This is because the Arroyo II's won't dry as quickly as the Newport H2's because of its cushioned insole for better support, which is nonexistent in the H2's. Although both models of sandals seem great, you have to decide for yourself what you need them for before making a purchase. I figured I'd be hiking mostly, with some treks across rivers, streams, etc., so I went with the Arroyo II's.

My first impression after trying them on is a good one! They fit well, are comfy, and have good arch support for walking. These shoes really feel tough enough to handle the rugged outdoors, with a thick toe and sturdy coverage on all sides. I'm questioning the ankle support these shoes will provide, although there is some support. Some people weren't happy with the drawstring for tightening the sandal. I could maybe see it not holding well and coming loose after long hikes, so I will keep an eye on this. I love the colors (I went with Slate Black/Bronze Green, which is a nice medium-brown color with forest-green detailing -- very camo-looking). I will update my review after my 5-day Grand Canyon trip and detail how well they held up while hiking and in water.

A word of caution about sizing. As I did, you should seriously consider trying these on at a local retailer (such as REI) before making your purchase. They definitely run very big. I'm usually size 9.5-10, but I had to buy these in an 8 for a good fit. For me, that's at least a size-and-a-half smaller than the norm. If you can't try them on first, order at least one full size smaller than you typically would.

***UPDATE 8/21/13***

Took my sandals on a test spin in PA's "Grand Canyon" this past week. We hiked the Turkey Path down to the waterfall and Pine Creek, and back up. It was rocky with steep slopes, so it was a good practice run for the actual Grand Canyon.

The sandals had great traction on the rocky surfaces. The pinky toe on my right foot started hurting at the end of the hike to the point where I thought I was forming a blister, but it ended up being okay. Whenever we stopped to take a break I found myself tightening up the cords, so this could be an annoyance for some people. Although I had to tighten them, I never thought they were too loose; rather, tightening gave them a more secure fit.

I dipped my feet into Pine Creek when we got to the bottom to test out their water resistance. They definitely dried pretty quickly (about 20 minutes longer into our hike), and they weren't heavy and squishy after getting them wet.

My only complaint so far is the discomfort I felt on my pinky toe towards the end of the 2-hour hike, which I expect is due to the initial wear-in period. We leave for the real Grand Canyon in the morning, so I'll post another update when we return!
on June 27, 2009
I bought these shoes because it is the only brand of shoes my husband will wear. I have been suffering from plantar facilitis for several months now, these are the most comfortable shoes, I have ever had. Well worth the money. I bought 2 more pairs online for work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2013
Over a period of about 3 weeks, I tried on the following hiking sandals before I settled on the Keen Arroyo II.

- Ahnu Men's Reyes III Sandal
- Keen Men's Kreek Sandal
- Kamik Men's Portage2 Sandal
- Skechers Sport Men's Journeyman-Safaris Sandal
- Keen Glisan Sandal
- Keen Newport H2
- Keen Newport

After testing so many sandals, I discovered that the Arroyo II is not perfect, but it has a good combination of features that makes it a first class hiking sandal:

1. Thick, rugged tread on the sole of the sandals. Whether you're hiking black asphalt or red rock, these sandals will give you sure footing every time. I hope that in the Arroyo III's, they make the tread even more thick. Keen Kreeks are the most comfortable sandals I've worn, but its sole is a joke. They look like they're made for city sidewalks not actual creeks.

2. Strong toe protection, the Arroyo II has above average toe protection compared to the other models except for the Skechers Journeyman-Safaris and Keen Glisan.

3. Soft, fabric uppers that wrap your foot gently with added cushion and elastic support for comfort. Admittedly not as comfortable the the Keen Kreeks. I hope the Arroyo III's borrow the uppers from the Keen Kreek.

4. Supportive insole is nice, but not as nice as the Glisan model. In the Arroyo III, Keen should use the insole from the Glisan model.

The Arroyo II's nearest competition is from the Glisan. The Glisan has excellent tread as well (though not as thick or ruggedly designed) and a better insole with actual cushion. However, the uppers of the Glisan are way too stiff to be comfortably worn on bare feet. The Glisans feel fine with socks.
on May 18, 2015
I was really excited to get these based on previous Keen shoes and sandals that I have owned, but I have owned these since March of this year and they are falling apart on me.
review image review image
on April 24, 2014
I finally decided to order me another pair of Keen's. My last pair I had for over 8 years! (and I still wear them). So this time, I thought I'd try the hiking sandal version.
First, it looks greats. Second, it feels comfortable. This translates to my four star rating.
However, here's my gripes:
1) I ordered a 10 and received a half size bigger. So when the site says these particular sandals tend to run a half size bigger that they send me a 10.5? But it's ok.
2) The adjusting strap/cord/laces is too long. Sure I could trim them but why would I in the first place? Instead of "snaking" the extra cord underneath the laces, I've decided to bow-knot it.
3) it actually makes my feet sweat. The footbed is comforting and supposedly anti-microbial with odor fighters (I guess). But I guess it is just non-breathable foam rubber.
But, looking-through those gripes, it is still a 4-star-er. I like the reflective highlights on the trims. I can pull them tight and make them almost as snug as regular shoes especially for those walks and hikes.
In all, they're great. And I hope they last as long as my original Keen's.
on October 5, 2012
These Keen's appear true to their sizing. If your foot is more 1/2 sized, I'd tend toward rounding down to the smaller size / tighter fit. I went with the larger size, which is just a bit big; and the lacing system on this shoe isn't conducive to a looser fit. I'd rather have things a bit more snug for hiking. Like other reviews mention, the lacing is flawed on these shoes, which only exacerbates the issue of having an already loose fitting shoe. Real laces that tie (or something that stays tight) are the fix that I'll eventually go with...other than that, these shoes are comfortable, and have a great arch support.
on April 10, 2008
I'm biased to Keens, they're pretty much all I wear.
The Arroyos feel great, have great support, go anywhere, do anything.
I gave 4 stars but considered 3 because without socks your feet get hot. You wouldn't think open shoes would get hot, but they do. I still really like them more than the Newports for the convenience and support of the full heel cup. They slip on and off and are more of a shoe, so I can wear them to work.
EXCELLENT MOST COMFORTABLE SHOES I OWN.. WEAR TO WORK AND PLAY
ORDERED ANOTHER PAIR DIFF STYLE BECAUSE THEY ARE SO GOOD
on February 27, 2010
I bought these before i spent 2 weeks in guatemala. I brouhgt these and my flipflops and i never used the flipflops.
We did quite a bit of walking and light hiking and these worked great the whole time. My feet never felt sore. The only downside is i have to wear sock or my feet get real sweaty. When i wear socks they breathe better and they are great for any hot weather environment. The heels is very supportive and they look cooler than the sandals. We went swimming in a rivver in guatemala they protect your feet real well and float your feet up.