4.0 out of 5 stars sizing
The reviews indicating that the shoe runs small and suggests ordering a half size larger was incorrect in my case
Published 7 months ago by Earl R. Kern

3.0 out of 5 stars issues with Size and Price
Published 14 months ago by Malinger Now

3.0 out of 5 stars issues with Size and Price, June 28, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Clearwater CNX Sandal (Shoes)
Overall, these are the best Keen has to offer as a lightweight water-shoe. They would rate 4-stars were it not for the non-US sizing and the shoe's inflated price. If you order one full-size up from normal, and have a med-width foot, you'll like these a lot. But they are a $65 shoe, not a $100 shoe. I know most manufacturers of sport/water sandals have begun producing in China. If the lighter materials now used and the odd size problems won't be addressed, value of such products is ~35% less than just a few years back...but prices of most have increased dramatically in the last 9-months, just as quality has fallen. Width, arch and comfort were all good. Good, grippy outsole. Will be quick-drying due to the nylon webbing. The bungi-cord lace is too thin. I am returning the two pairs of the Clearwater CNX just purchased due to the size 11 actually fitting like a size 10. Since I do like the shoe, will buy a size 11 1/2 IF and WHEN they go on-sale from Amazon. These are not for hiking. Top-foot protection and midsole cushioning are not suited to that use. These are great as either water-shoes or lightweight kickaround shoes.

August 17 update: Received the size 11 1/2 on sale. Fit is good with the exception of the molded-toecup being less roomy than expected..the smaller-than-average molding at the front of this shoe makes contact with the top of big toe. Not abrasive or a big problem; I just wish KEEN would get its Men's sizing right. Keen's Newport H2 is a better choice for roominess and light hiking at the same price.

2.0 out of 5 stars No cushioning, July 30, 2013
I have had Keen H2 Newport since they first came out. I was ready to replace my third pair of those when I noticed the reviews about the lightweight Clearwater. I have used my Newport for 10 mile hikes in rugged terrain and my only "wish" is that they were abit lighter.

Yes, the Clearwater is much lighter but at the sacrifice of cushioning in the foot bed. It felt like I was walking on a piece of cardboard. It is back to the Newport for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars sizing, January 23, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice update to the classic Keens, June 25, 2013
GPSig "G-" (Vienna, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Keens years ago for a summer visit to Disney World. They lasted that summer, and then just kept on lasting, looking pretty good with occasional washes for several summers to come. I lost them on a beach trip this summer, and have tried a few other brands but always missed my old Keens. The CNXs have a lot of the nice features of my old Keens, but fit a bit more narrow (which I like most of the time) and are a ton lighter. Foot support is good, and I found size 13 to fit nicely -- I normally fit best in 12.5 but I think 13s are the right choice. The foot bed works well, and the straps are nice, but not as heavy-duty as the old pair of Keens. They aren't as loose and "airy" as the older design with the wider footbed, but I haven't found that to be a significant problem and generally the narrower fit of these looks better and I find my foot moving around less inside the sandal.

I am updating this review as I have now used these on a 12 day cruise to the Mediterranean, a canoe trip, and a desert safari in the Gulf. They worked very well on the cruise, we made day trips to sightsee and the Keen sole was pretty effective on the often slippery stone at Roman/Greek historical sites and comfortable on long walks in markets -- while still looking nice enough to wear to dinner on everything short of formal dining. Taking them out to the desert was also a good performance, they do tend to hold sand due to their closed in design, shaking your foot from side to side clears them pretty effectively. At the end of the day, barefoot or an open sandal is best for sand, but the Keens did fine and cleaned up nicely. The Keens really shined on the canoe trip, providing good grip on the dock and in the boat, foot protection while wading, and despite the mud and sand cleaned up nicely and were a comfortable (if a bit damp) choice for a casual dinner that night. With the lighter weight of these Keens I find I am choosing them more than the old model for travel and I am almost ready to proclaim them better than my old beloved Keens...but they need a few more years of solid performance to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fitting all around hiking, boating, water wear, July 28, 2013
I heard some good comments on these before I bought them. they are light weight, durable and I love the toe protection you do not get with plain sandles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Keen!, May 23, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Clearwater CNX Sandal (Shoes)
I have been a fan of Keen sandals since they first appeared so many years ago. There is just something uber-friendly in their fit and comfort. Better than barefoot--no smashed toes! Anyway, my old Keen sandal collection is getting threadbare so I decided to try the newer "Clearwater CNX". The fit is a bit different, a bit narrower, so you may want to go up 1/2 size. Otherwise, they are lighter than the originals, and completely comfortable from day one. I flirted with another brand of sport sandals for a couple of years, but they fell apart and the Keens just kept going. Never again. Keens forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for active wear, April 13, 2014
These are great sandals for those who will actually use them. A lot of people like other brands of sandals and say how great they are for casual wear or rafting - where you are sitting on your butt and not actually using the sandal. I bought these for hiking up/down rocky streams, which I do 3-4 times a week during the summer. These hikes are anywhere from 1/2 hour to 3 hours long. These sandals perform amazingly. The sole is grippy on dry or wet. It is pliable enough to give a good feel, but thick and sturdy enough to protect and cushion your foot over long periods. Walking on rocky terrain you never feel the rocks. The upper and toe provide plenty of protection without a lot of weight. The neoprene lining under the webbing means never feeling any rubbing or chaffing. These are a less bulky, more sleek fitting version compared to their more standard models. I, personally, like this for a few reasons: 1) lighter, more nimble. 2) moved through water more easily because they create less drag since they don't have as much of a "platform" sole sticking out around the edges of your foot. 3) with the bigger version I would get a lot of small stones in the sandal - with these more "form-fitting" to the foot, I rarely ever get stones in the sandal.
I highly recommend them for active use in the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight!, August 12, 2013
Swimrr (Cape Cod, MA) - See all my reviews
Bought these for my husband. He wears them all summer for ocean fishing, beaches, and pond fishing. Having previously been very pleased with his KEEN sandals, I figured that this was sure thing.... It apparently was better than a sure thing! The Clearwater CNX sandals weigh significantly less than the Newports, yet still provide the toe protection and the anti-slip tread. He has told me several times how much he loves them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Quality sandals, August 6, 2013
These sandals are not cheap. But as the old saying goes" You get what you pay for" These are really a nice rich looking color and appear to be of superior quality. My husband reports these are super comfortable and appear to be very durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great on my diabetic feet, July 23, 2013
After double knee surgeries, the tops of my feet are swollen which makes my feet tire easily. I had to go up a size to get some extra width. I needed a closed toe shoe to keep from injuring my toes. These shoes protect my toes and are very light on my feet. They are cool in hot weather. I love them!

KEEN Men's Clearwater CNX Sandal