Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 5, 2013
Been wearing these shoes regularly for over 18 months now and very happy (I updated this review). The fit is true to size, and very comfortable. Good value for money. I already have 3/4 and tall hiking boots. Wanted something lighter for daily wear, with good support and comfort, but tougher than sneakers or trainers.

I use them as everyday walkers, jogging on soft turf and concrete, regular hiking, paintball, and dry and wet weather. Have performed great! They broke in quickly, and use both thick hiking socks in winter, and thin business socks in summer.
Have used them often in dry bushland, and rocky mountains. Also while travelling in Vietnam and Philippines, I went hiking in the jungle in both countries. I'm quite surprised they have held up from all this use and abuse.

The overall quality is tough and well made:
The grip is excellent, proved themselves on steep loose gravel, rock climbing, and wet jungles;
Rubber toe and reinforced design offers great protection from scuffs, bumps, and outdoor activities;
The support is excellent, thick heel style and mid-sole shank support;
The nubuck leather is good quality, tough wearing, and I condition it with neutral shoe polish;
Inside the moisture wicking lining, and upper padding is executed very well, so comfy;
They do breath well, but naturally a little warm in summer.
I prefer a well supported shoe so I don't get sore feet, ankles, and knees. This is why I chose this style, and very pleased with it.
I'm surprised more manufacturers have not figured this stuff out. I've spent hundreds on shoes and boots that are not comfortable and don't last under hard use.

The only thing that could be improved are the Keen removable insoles (footbed), and the soft compound out-soles tread. The insoles are simple, thin, and flimsy. Not much foot padding, so not much shock absorption when jogging, hiking, or training. I removed the stock insoles after 1 month. I have flat feet so replaced them with generic diabetic insoles, a dense polyurethane style padding. Also the out-sole grip and general performance was good. But after hard use and regular hiking they wore out much quicker than my boots with Vibram or harder compound out-soles. 'Keen' if you see this review: improve your insoles with a "diabetic" style dense padding, and use a tougher out-sole. They will be perfect after that.

Overall I am very pleased and surprised. Exceeded my expectations of a great hiking shoe at an affordable price. My budget was around $100. I'll have to retire them eventually from all the use and abuse. They better stay affordable or I'll have to find another shoe style to torture.
44 comments14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I have always been a Merrill fan, but the last pair of Merrill's I had fell apart and the shoe separated from the sole. After that experience, I thought I would try something new. I ordered these Keens and they fit great! I ordered a half a size larger than normal to accomodate a thicker sock for day hikes, but these shoes are super comfortable and they look great. I still like my other Merrills, but it's always nice to bring in another nice shoe to the mix.
on August 26, 2013
Replaced some worn out Targhee II with these. At first they seemed a bit stiffer than the Targhee's but within hours they had molded to my feet. I took them on a serious bit of stomping around right out of the box, which was probably not the smartest thing.
I wear 10s in most shoes. Both the Targhee II and Gypsum fit small, I wear 11 in both.
I think these fit a little higher on the ankle than the Targhee II.
I have a very high instep and a wide foot. I also tend to toward plantar fasciitis.
I don't add any orthotics.
Also both are very light.
Keen has a new (I think new) motto on their box/display etc. regarding a "combined" or "unified" life. I think they mean you can wear these on rough hikes (I do), city walking, (yes), work (yes), church (yes).
They are tough enough that the come through looking fine. The Targhees looked fine after many years, if a bit shinier than new. No broken or even worn lace straps. The soles finally wore through and seemed to break down cushion wise, but absolutely no complaints considering the mileage I put on them. If I get the same out of the Gypsum I will be happy.
As far as rough hikes in these, if you turn an ankle you were going to turn it anyway, very stable. If you slip you were going to slip anyway, great traction. If your feet get beat up, really how? these are insanely protective.
on August 15, 2013
I've purchased Keen hiking shoes in the past so I know about their quality. The deciding factor was the reasonable price through Amazon.
on August 12, 2013
These shoes not only fit well they are also comfortable and waterproof! This is exactly what I was looking for in hilking shoes.
on August 28, 2013
I usually buy the Voyagers but have always found them to be too soft for hiking. Theses shoes are firm and work great for hiking. They have good support, I am glad I gave these a try.
on September 19, 2014
I started wearing KEEN shoes after buying a pair of their sandals for a cruise. I wore them so much, and they just kept holding up, soles never wearing down, I decided to try a pair of their shoes as well. I have beat up feet from being a UPS driver once upon a time, so I require a solid footbed. Well, these shoes have one. Fit is good, build is good, and quite comfortable for all day walking. My only complaint is how they lace up at the top. If you notice at the very top lace holders actually are for pulling the shoe tighter around your foot. Well, if you pull to hard it puts too much pressure on the top of your foot, and I was having issues with the heel sliding up and down because I couldn't pull it tight enough. The work around for me was to cross the laces before running the laces through the top. Once I did that, I can now pull hard enough to secure the shoe without it killing the top of my foot.
on December 23, 2014
I have a wide foot and it's hard to get a consistent good fit from many brands.

Normally KEEN is a brand that I can wear right out of the box due to it's generous width and even more generous toe box.

Unfortunately, the Gypsum is narrower than other KEENs I've had (including my current KEEN Targhee II pair) and my foot actual sat on the edges of the foot bed. Ouch.

So, if you have a not-so-wide foot, then the Gypsum appears to be a step up from the Targhee. Otherwise, stick to the Targhee or other KEEN lines that keep the width.
on March 22, 2015
Wish I was able to return them, but given that I live in Spain the option is not available. After 10+ years as a loyal Keen lover I was seriously disappointed. Even more frustrating is that I purchased the same style 2 years ago and loved them. I have hiked in the previous version around the world without a problem so my disappointment was even greater to receive this inferior quality shoe which has obviously changed.
on June 11, 2015
The Keen Gypsum Waterproof shoe fits so good that I bought a second pair. Took them on a trip to Ireland and walked all over the west coast. It rained and sleeted while we were there and my feet stayed dry and warm. I almost wear them all the time. The second pair is for when these ever wear out, because you never know when a style will be discontinued. I highly recommend these shoes