5.0 out of 5 stars Keen Targhee II
Outstanding stable shoe, roomy forefoot that is supportive on sharp rocks, as well as a heel that doesn't slip. Getting both of those in one shoe has been a long standing problem for me. It is also quick to get in and out of.
I feel I made an excellent purchase!
Published on December 20, 2007 by P. Thames

1.0 out of 5 stars Keen Disappointment
Here is the letter i wrote to Keen Customer service today:
Published 9 months ago by rgk

1.0 out of 5 stars Keen Disappointment, March 27, 2014
Here is the letter i wrote to Keen Customer service today:
I have worn virtually nothing but the targhee keen hiking shoes for seven years-but no more. What have you done? I have owned 5 pairs. They were all Perfect! Imagine my shock when I went to get a new pair Yesterday and found that not only did my size 11's no longer fit, there was now no size that fit! They are tight across top of foot, look terribly cheap, and are obviously very shoddily made.

I can buy a cheap shoddy shoe that doesnt fit at wal mart for $29. Why would i pay $129 for the same thing?

Went on line this morning and found out long term Keen fans are all having same disastrous experience.

So sad to see Keen go the same way as all the other greedy corporations producing cheap lousy products while trying to get a premium price for them.

Good bye Keen....

5.0 out of 5 stars Keen Targhee II, December 20, 2007
P. Thames (Abilene, Texas) - See all my reviews
I feel I made an excellent purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking/Hiking shoes, April 11, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
Have been wearing these shoes from Keen for 8 years now and I can't believe how comfortable and long lasting they are.Ideal for people who need slightly wider fitting shoes.I get 2 years out of each pair and I walk on New Zealand Hiking tracks alot and default to wearing them on a daily basis.Great shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars four wheel drive for your feet, December 13, 2005
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
From the same company that makes the terrific "Newport H2" sandal with the super natural "metaomical design" fit. The Keen Targhee is like wearing a Humvee for your feet. It with waterproof construction for dry feet and an agressive outsole with 4 millimeter lugs that bite deep into the terrain for excellent traction. And they have the famous Keen toe bumper.

It is very waterproof as I can attest to. The waterproof leather upper helps keep feet dry on rainy days and muddy trails. It has an interior waterproof liner bootie too. The special carbon rubber outsoles are similar to the ones on the Keen Sandals, very grippy and non-marking, and they never seem to show any wear. They are multi-directional and dig in, but are not slippery on wet surfaces like rocks or cement in rain or surf. They come in few colors, but the colors have weird names. "Shadow" is an olive for example.

It has a good secure fit laceup capture system that do not come untied like my other tennies did. THe straps have a little reflective feature to them. Htey have a nice pull-on strap at the heel. They are light in weight at only 14 ounces for the pair. On sizing, I reccommend buying one full size larger than usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it for me, November 7, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
I have owned about 6 pairs. I admit (as some complain) they only last me a year or so, but I wear them daily and don't really expect more than that. I find them super comfortable for everyday wear and for hiking (not quite good enough for backpacking I find). I have 5 acres of property to maintain and am always out in the rain and mud. They do the job for me. (Actually, one pair I owned did NOT keep my feet dry. Must have been a bad pair.) I have worn similar shoes for years made by Merrell, Saloman, etc. They have all been fine. But since age 40 or so, I found I need to buy a good arch support insert like Superfeet. That added about $30-$40 to the cost. The Targhee II was the first that had a good enough arch support that I didn't need to buy the extra insert.

Now that I know the shoes work for me, I can always keep my eyes open for a sale, so I never pay full price.

I had to go up a size to get the right fit for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hiking shoe, October 13, 2014
I own Keen shoes, boots and sandals and love them all. My normal hiking boots are the Keen Klamaths. They are great hiking/backpacking boots but sometimes I want a lighter shoe for shorter hikes. I have used my Keen Arroyo II sandals in the past but being sandaals/watershoes they are not completely enclosed and small rocks, etc. can find their way in depending on the material of the trail. The Arroyos are also limited on support due to their design. That is not a flaw but merely their intended use design. The Targhee II Hiking shoes fit a great middle spot, when you want a lighter shoe than a full boot but something more substantial than a sandal. The Targhee II is also my daily fall/winter/early spring shoe. In the summer I like the Arroyo II as the Targhee II waterproop Keen Dry membrane, while breathable, is less breathable than the vented Arroyo II. The Targhee can make my feet sweat in hot weather. I am a true size 9 but wear 9.5 in the Targhee II--it is 1/2 size small in my opinion. I do wish, as do many others, that Keen would standardize their sizes. Some are true to size and some are small or large, up to a full size. So it is a trial and error in sizing for different models. But like so many Keen fans we put up with the hassle due to the quality and comfort of their Keen footwear. Thanks to Amazon's free return policy on some models though. My advice on the Targhee II Hiking Shoe (this older model) is to order a 1/2 size larger than your normal shoe size.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falling apart, October 8, 2013
I've only had these shoes a short time and the bottom of the shoe has started to fall apart. I work in a lumberyard and put these shoes through the conditions and they can't handle it! For the money I spent I expected more than a couple of months. Buyer beware!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PURCHASE THESE BOOTS IF YOU PLAN ON ACTUALLY HIKING!!!!!!, November 25, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
These are absolutely terrible boots that don’t last, the customer service rep even told me that the tarhegee II was not made for hiking. How is a hiking boot not made for hiking? the soles came off at just about every point on the shoe within 30 miles, and when I contacted them they made me go through all these hoops, they finally agreed to send a new pair of boots but a different model ( I cant recall which one). upon receiving the boots in the properly named box, I assumed it was the boot I was told I was going to receive. after hiking 30 miles in white mtn. national forest I contacted them again and told them my boots were falling apart. It turns out they sent me a less expensive boot from the ones I originally bought. they insisted that I send them pictures of the inside of the toungue to observe the tag. the funny thing was it was just a white square ( it was like this as soon as I bought it, but did not suspect any foul play would occur) with that and the fact that the boots were already destroyed, I sympathized with them that this in fact was the boots they sent me and this was the wear that had occurred. they then started to accuse me of lying to them and trying to scam them for a free pair of boots and really insulted me. I could not believe what I was hearing from them and the situation I was in. after that I vowed to them that I would make sure I would do what I can to make sure other thru hikers would not go through the same ordeal. I was very displeased with the whole experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these shoes, November 10, 2013
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
I'm on my third pair of these shoes and would not hesitate to buy a fourth. They adjust quickly to your foot and your manner of walking. They grip the ground well. They look good from start to finish - somehow the uppers don't wear all that much. They remain comfortable for the life of the shoe.

I see people observing that the soles and heels, etc., wear out. Well, I do a lot of walking and I have kind of noticed that soles and heels wear out. But I am very hard on shoe heels and all the shoes I've ever owned have worn down excessively at the heels. It really is the way I walk.

The soles last much longer than the heels, for me, and don't wear overly fast. Frankly, if I didn't wear the heels out, I could have worn these shoes a *lot* longer.

But the parts of the shoe that don't touch the pavement stay in uniformly good shape. The uppers don't pull away from the lowers. The seams stay intact and don't seem to weaken or break out. They don't discolor much at all. They are easy to maintain and look good start to finish. I've never noticed any problem with getting them wet. They tie up easily and well. And on and on. And I always feel presentable when I'm wearing them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Born to Fail, March 1, 2011
This review is from: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
Please pay close attention to review below as it is 100% on the mark. Other people have commented on these Keen's all over the internet. Yes, they are wonderful, comfortable shoes right out of the box, perhaps some of the most comfortable shoes you will put on your feet. However, as the reviewer below points out, they will only last you 6 months of everyday wear. They literally come apart at the seams and the soft rubber on the soles just peals away. If you can afford to replace these every 6 months, then go for it. Keen needs to do some serious work with the Chinese factory that makes these things to improve quality and increase the longevity of the product.

"I use to work extensively on mountain tops doing remote communication site work. I needed something that would keep my feet relatively dry and provided great traction. These shoes were great! The problem was they were and are cheaply engineered and do not last under even normal walking conditions. The sole wears away, the tread disappears, nothing on this shoe is built to last and at a price of over 100 dollars its not worth it. I initially thought that the reason my Keen Targhees were wearing out was that I was that rough on them. So I bought 2 pairs at the same time and used 1 set for just driving shoes/ walking downtown and the other for mountain trips. It didn't matter which I did they lasted about the same time plus or minus a month. The only noticable difference was my mountain set was weathered just a bit more from the inclimate weather I subject them to. But all of the typical failures were prevalent on both sets. If you are in to shelling out 100+ dollars every 6 months for these then go right ahead. I have seen so many reviews just like mine that you'd figure Keen would do something about it by now. Alas its been 4 years since I bought my first pair and they are still being put together the same and failing the same. -The Alaskan Keen Reviewer"

KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe