Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 27, 2014
Here is the letter i wrote to Keen Customer service today:
I have worn virtually nothing but the targhee keen hiking shoes for seven years-but no more. What have you done? I have owned 5 pairs. They were all Perfect! Imagine my shock when I went to get a new pair Yesterday and found that not only did my size 11's no longer fit, there was now no size that fit! They are tight across top of foot, look terribly cheap, and are obviously very shoddily made.

I can buy a cheap shoddy shoe that doesnt fit at wal mart for $29. Why would i pay $129 for the same thing?

Went on line this morning and found out long term Keen fans are all having same disastrous experience.

So sad to see Keen go the same way as all the other greedy corporations producing cheap lousy products while trying to get a premium price for them.

Good bye Keen....
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2014
Having worn Keen shoes for the last 7 years and been very happy with them (I went thru 3 pairs of Alki Lace and others-I like the
wide front and protected toe because I have problem feet). I was really disappointed having ordered 2 pairs of Men's Targhee II
Hiking Shoe - one for me and one for my son - we ordered the size we always wear. Keen in manufacturing them (probably in China, etc) "Well to make a long story short the manufacturer shorted the size 8-1/2 is now 7-1/2 and same with my son's size 12.
By shorting they expect to make more money maybe?? But on my behalf it causes a lot of problems in returning them and also
Amazon is probably stuck with free shipping loss - it's not their fault. I like the looks of them very much - but now comes the other
problem. I would return for a bigger size - BUT….. the manufacturer is using cheap rubber and they stink like the shoes one finds in K-mart or Walmart. The stench will stink the whole bedroom up and my feet when I take them off. Stick your nose in them and you will find out. Smells like being in the Good Year Tire store. Sorry to say all this but it is true and it is causing me an inconvenience and disappointment because I really like the looks of these hiking shoes. Me and my son's toes were smacked up against the front of the shoe. Impossible to wear. I am on my way now to return them. Keen should respect their customers and have tighter Quality Control over what they sell because it makes their loyal long standing customers go elsewhere.
on February 25, 2015
I like the shoes but there is a major design flaw that renders these shoes completely useless...
The strap that wraps around the heel and provides the uppermost shoelace "lacing" is a single failure point wrapped around the entire back of the shoe and completely exposed. The point below your ankle bone where the strap angles in a "V" shape is particularly vulnerable as it sticks out a little farther than the shoe surface. If this strap breaks after being rubbed or snagged, the shoe cannot be laced up properly. After light usage 1 shoe had a broken strap and the other was close to breaking, foolish design.
review image
on November 7, 2011
I have owned about 6 pairs. I admit (as some complain) they only last me a year or so, but I wear them daily and don't really expect more than that. I find them super comfortable for everyday wear and for hiking (not quite good enough for backpacking I find). I have 5 acres of property to maintain and am always out in the rain and mud. They do the job for me. (Actually, one pair I owned did NOT keep my feet dry. Must have been a bad pair.) I have worn similar shoes for years made by Merrell, Saloman, etc. They have all been fine. But since age 40 or so, I found I need to buy a good arch support insert like Superfeet. That added about $30-$40 to the cost. The Targhee II was the first that had a good enough arch support that I didn't need to buy the extra insert.

Now that I know the shoes work for me, I can always keep my eyes open for a sale, so I never pay full price.

I had to go up a size to get the right fit for me.
on December 20, 2007
Outstanding stable shoe, roomy forefoot that is supportive on sharp rocks, as well as a heel that doesn't slip. Getting both of those in one shoe has been a long standing problem for me. It is also quick to get in and out of.
I feel I made an excellent purchase!
on October 8, 2013
I've only had these shoes a short time and the bottom of the shoe has started to fall apart. I work in a lumberyard and put these shoes through the conditions and they can't handle it! For the money I spent I expected more than a couple of months. Buyer beware!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
Have been wearing these shoes from Keen for 8 years now and I can't believe how comfortable and long lasting they are.Ideal for people who need slightly wider fitting shoes.I get 2 years out of each pair and I walk on New Zealand Hiking tracks alot and default to wearing them on a daily basis.Great shoes.
on December 13, 2005
From the same company that makes the terrific "Newport H2" sandal with the super natural "metaomical design" fit. The Keen Targhee is like wearing a Humvee for your feet. It with waterproof construction for dry feet and an agressive outsole with 4 millimeter lugs that bite deep into the terrain for excellent traction. And they have the famous Keen toe bumper.

It is very waterproof as I can attest to. The waterproof leather upper helps keep feet dry on rainy days and muddy trails. It has an interior waterproof liner bootie too. The special carbon rubber outsoles are similar to the ones on the Keen Sandals, very grippy and non-marking, and they never seem to show any wear. They are multi-directional and dig in, but are not slippery on wet surfaces like rocks or cement in rain or surf. They come in few colors, but the colors have weird names. "Shadow" is an olive for example.

It has a good secure fit laceup capture system that do not come untied like my other tennies did. THe straps have a little reflective feature to them. Htey have a nice pull-on strap at the heel. They are light in weight at only 14 ounces for the pair. On sizing, I reccommend buying one full size larger than usual.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2013
These are absolutely terrible boots that don’t last, the customer service rep even told me that the tarhegee II was not made for hiking. How is a hiking boot not made for hiking? the soles came off at just about every point on the shoe within 30 miles, and when I contacted them they made me go through all these hoops, they finally agreed to send a new pair of boots but a different model ( I cant recall which one). upon receiving the boots in the properly named box, I assumed it was the boot I was told I was going to receive. after hiking 30 miles in white mtn. national forest I contacted them again and told them my boots were falling apart. It turns out they sent me a less expensive boot from the ones I originally bought. they insisted that I send them pictures of the inside of the toungue to observe the tag. the funny thing was it was just a white square ( it was like this as soon as I bought it, but did not suspect any foul play would occur) with that and the fact that the boots were already destroyed, I sympathized with them that this in fact was the boots they sent me and this was the wear that had occurred. they then started to accuse me of lying to them and trying to scam them for a free pair of boots and really insulted me. I could not believe what I was hearing from them and the situation I was in. after that I vowed to them that I would make sure I would do what I can to make sure other thru hikers would not go through the same ordeal. I was very displeased with the whole experience.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2014
I own Keen shoes, boots and sandals and love them all. My normal hiking boots are the Keen Klamaths. They are great hiking/backpacking boots but sometimes I want a lighter shoe for shorter hikes. I have used my Keen Arroyo II sandals in the past but being sandaals/watershoes they are not completely enclosed and small rocks, etc. can find their way in depending on the material of the trail. The Arroyos are also limited on support due to their design. That is not a flaw but merely their intended use design. The Targhee II Hiking shoes fit a great middle spot, when you want a lighter shoe than a full boot but something more substantial than a sandal. The Targhee II is also my daily fall/winter/early spring shoe. In the summer I like the Arroyo II as the Targhee II waterproop Keen Dry membrane, while breathable, is less breathable than the vented Arroyo II. The Targhee can make my feet sweat in hot weather. I am a true size 9 but wear 9.5 in the Targhee II--it is 1/2 size small in my opinion. I do wish, as do many others, that Keen would standardize their sizes. Some are true to size and some are small or large, up to a full size. So it is a trial and error in sizing for different models. But like so many Keen fans we put up with the hassle due to the quality and comfort of their Keen footwear. Thanks to Amazon's free return policy on some models though. My advice on the Targhee II Hiking Shoe (this older model) is to order a 1/2 size larger than your normal shoe size.