5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and comfortable sandal
Published on November 7, 2005 by microjoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit Poor Traction
Published on March 5, 2012 by RealUser

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and comfortable sandal, November 7, 2005
By far one of the most comfortable, if not the most comfortable shoe or sandal I have ever owned. Now that summer is over, and it is late Fall, I find myself still wearing these even now that it is colder because they feel so good. I bought mine in May, and it is November now. They really are tough to give up. Any reservations I had that they look funky evaporated when I wore them. If they do not feel right when you put them on, you probably have the wrong size. Most people that buy Keens find that they need to buy a half size larger than they do with other shoes.

They have a wide toebox so that your toes are not cramped together, and they are the first to come out with the protective toe guard. While other companies are starting to put toe guards on their shoes, they are not designed to be both protective and completely comfortable like Keens. I never stub a toe or catch a toe on anything with these, plus I can hide my ugly toes. It also has a little rise on the rear heel that cups your heel comfortably, but also helps protect you against those people that step on the back of your foot. It feels very secure once it is on and does not slip. There are no straps to fool with or Velcro to adjust, it has an inner lining that looks like the neoprene on a scuba suit, it stretches to fit. It has a no lace closure and you set it once, from then on it slips on easy. The metatomic footbed cradles my foot like no shoe I have ever seen. A feature I had not experienced before in any shoe is the little ridge on the inner sole that runs behind the toes and in between your big toe and other toes. The first time you feel it is a surprise, but it turns out to add to the comfort of the shoe immensely. That ridge forms in a short time to your foot, giving you your own custom fit. Keens shoes are invented by a doctor, who studied the anatomy of the foot very closely, and it shows. I hate to gush about this, but the shape of this shoe inside and out gives me a sensation that the shoe is part of me, and I can stand longer and walk longer... it makes me feel like running. I first saw these on some ultralight backpackers I met, they swore by them.

It has an anatomical outer sole that is very grippy, with a nice athletic shape, it gives good traction on sand, dirt, boulders, mud, you name it. It is not slippery on the boat or dock, and the sole does not leave any marks. It is made in such a way that it does not hold dirt in any grooves to track ion on my carpet either. It is great for water, and you can wear it into the stream, pool, or sea. If it gets wet, for some reason you don't feel it due to the material that wicks the water away. It has an anti-microbial treatment that takes away any germs.

The first Newport that came out has leather trim, but it is officially waterproof. The newer Newport H2 is made of completely synthetic materials, and it holds up better in the long run as far as repeated wettings and mud. When my H2's get dirty, I throw them in the sink, under the hose, or even in the washer and they come out like new. I wore these almost daily for 4 months straight with no evidence of wear. This includes standing in line all day at theme parks and scrambling at the beach and lava rocks on Maui. These come in many colors. Keens makes other great shoes like the Providence boots, clogs, and tennis shoes. My other favorite sandals are for dressier occasions, they are the black Rieker Anti-Stress Jens 09176, and the Dunham Moose Fisherman (actually designed by New Balance).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sandal, March 4, 2014
Big D (Staples, MN, US) - See all my reviews
Pricey, but a great sandal.
Wore these A LOT on a trip to Hawaii.
Very comfortable, could wear them all day; and did for several days.
Didn't notice any funk, but was in and out of water all of the time which would have kept that down; so the jury is still out on.
Traction was great for hiking on steep, wet muddy/rocky trails, and walking around on boulders in streams and on the beaches.
Even wore them while snorkeling in the rocky shallows. That actually worked really well.
No trouble with rocks or debris getting inside (except for when walking through ankle-deep mud or beach sand.).
Did go up a half-size (from 10 to 10 1/2) which fit well.
No blisters, never any discomfort or chafing.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best so far, June 29, 2011
I am a big fan of Keen shoes, I have 5 pair. These Newport H2's are by far the most comfortable yet.
Be sure and order 1/2 size up from your regular sneaker size, they run a bit small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great treking shoes, November 5, 2006
The Martster (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
These shoes are different from anything else I have ever owned. I truely love wearing them. They are comfortable, practical and they make me smile every time I wear them! Order a 1/2 size larger than your usual size and have some fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great walking shoes, January 17, 2008
I bought the shoes for everyday wear. I've found them to be quite comfortable. They have even replaced my old walking shoes. I've comfortably walked 4 miles in these shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd pair. Love them!, September 16, 2010
These are my second pair. I wore out the first ones. It took me 4 years to do it, but they are definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort & Sharp Looks, April 26, 2009
D. Rooth "Sandal Picky" (Lake Forest, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These are hot looking sandals which earn many compliments. They're so cushy-comfortable, with a nice arch support. Great for long treks. I own 3 pair now and I'm not sure when I'll be able to stop this habit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Kicks, June 30, 2008
I'm very pleased with both service and product. Contrary to reviews that I had read I found the fit true to size and did not find them wide. I'm certain this is my first pair of many Keen products to come. -Great buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit Poor Traction, March 5, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Women's Newport H2 Sandal (Apparel)
I found these shoes on sale at the local Cabellas and decided to give them a try. I love how they fit my feet! I have an extra wide foot and the shoe fabric stretched accordingly to accomodate (I am size 6.5 D-E). I brought these to costa rica for two days of whitewater rafting, a day of canyoning and more recently on some kayaking adventures. As great as the fit is however I found these shoes to not provide much traction on wet rocks. Granted, most shoes fail in this category but as water shoes I expected the keens to perform better. I would have been better off in sneakers. I wouldn't recommend these if you will be moving around on, hiking or climbing wet rocks and need good traction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for flat feet!, February 1, 2012
This review is from: KEEN Women's Newport H2 Sandal (Apparel)
I have very flat feet and have all my life. I've had corrective surgery to align my feet, but they're still flat. Because they're flat, my feet are also prone to ligament inflammation without proper support. All of these factors considered, I live in a constant struggle to find a comfortable shoe. I usually wear tennis shoes with custom orthotics in them, but for a day at the beach, this is a problem. I can't hold flip flops on comfortably (and they have absolutely no support!) so I needed a sandal that could hold itself on. I tried Columbia Techsun 2 sandals, which I thought would be great, until I walked through the Bahamas in misery and ended up with blisters.

I researched walking sandals for hours and hours until I finally settled on the Keens. They are a bit pricey, but any shoe that I can walk in without pain is totally worth it to me. I've never had a more comfortable pair of shoes straight out of the box. It's rare that I find shoes that I can wear for miles and not have something rub me or that make my knees and back ache. They'd be cuter without the big black toe guard, but I'll probably come to appreciate that feature of the shoe. (It would be nicer if it was the same color as the straps of the shoe.) I bought them to use on trips, but I have a feeling that when summer comes, these will be the only shoes on my feet. I've already raved so much about them that I'm ordering a pair for my husband right now!

My husband and I both wore these on a recent trip to the Caribbean and they were invaluable. In San Juan, Puerto Rico, I walked at least 8 miles in my Keens and didn't even think about my feet. They were so comfortable and I was especially impressed with the grip of the soles on wet rocks. At the end of the day, I was so happy that I didn't have any blisters and my feet still felt good. I also wore these on the beach in the Bahamas and they dried very quickly in the sun. I will never take a trip without these shoes again! I'm now thinking that I need these in other colors!

If you have flat feet or fallen arches, I would recommend these shoes for you. I couldn't be happier with them!

KEEN Women's Newport H2 Sandal