5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turning legal thriller with a true moral center.
As an attorney, I've read a lot of legal thrillers, and R.A.Forster's KEEPING COUNSEL ranks with the best. This story moves.
Published on October 7, 1997 by nwmb95b@prodigy.com

1.0 out of 5 stars no plot
I have read other novels by Rebecca Forster and I enjoyed them. This book had no plot. The characters were all shallow. The story was boring and there were no surprises. By the first 10% of the book you knew what could happen and it did. Save your money on this one.
Published on March 7, 2012 by John W. Bodenburg

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turning legal thriller with a true moral center., October 7, 1997
From the outset, we are pulled into the moral dilemma faced by Tara Linley, the lawyer who meets her best friend's new lover only to find herself ensnared by this charming man into defending him against criminal prosecution for a horrifying murder. Is he certifiably insane? Or merely a sexy but psychopathic killer who delights in manipulating his power over Tara and her vulnerable friend?

This book is full of thrills, both emotional and intellectual. When Tara is pitted against influential friends who pressure her to give her client up, she questions the very foundations on which her life was built. Surely her best friend's safety is more important than some technical vow she took when she was sworn in as a lawyer. But how can she live with herself if she doesn't honor the system she has sworn to uphold?

I finished it late last night, so I'm fresh from the excitement of this book. KEEPING COUNSEL dishes out danger, desire, and romance as it zips through this compelling story taken from an actual case. I couldn't put it down. R.A.Forster is going places--and I'm along for the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense legal thriller, September 12, 2010
This review is from: KEEPING COUNSEL (legal thriller, thriller) (Kindle Edition)
My husband recommended this book and I couldn't put it down. This is a well paced legal thriller with a villian who stayed with me long after I stopped reading. Throughout the book I couldn't figure out if he was crazy or just evil, but either way he was really creepy. I loved the heroine, Tara, who struggles with her legal ethics as she tries to save her best friend from her evil boyfriend. When Bill, the boyfriend, retains Tara as his lawyer this invokes attorney-client privilege and she's the only one to whom he reveals his true nature. The characters really come to life and for a while I didn't think there was any good way this could end, but Rebecca Forster has a talent for surprises and I loved the way she ended this book. I'm glad I didn't see those ten year old, one star reviews before I read this. This is definitely worth downloading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense, psychological/legal thriller, May 26, 2010
If the prologue doesn't suck you in, you shouldn't be reading this genre. This is an incredible psychological/legal thriller that kept me anxiously turning pages late into the night. The title refers to the attorney-client privilege of secrecy and the charming, yet deadly protagonist in Keeping Counsel knows how to use it when he retains his lover's best friend to represent him. The tense interplay between these two characters is reminiscent of Silence of the Lambs where the killer's compelling seductiveness barely conceals his creepy, unstable behavior. Torn between protecting her friend and upholding the law, Tara Linley walks a fine line between what's legal and what's right. Rebecca Forster's vivid descriptions and true-to-life characters jump off the page with incredible authenticity. This is one you do not want to miss.

1.0 out of 5 stars no plot, March 7, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Counsel Top of the Line Legal Thriller, June 22, 2011
Rebecca Forester has crafted a wonderful legal thriller that will have you unable to put her book down as you read on to find out what will happen to Tara, a lawyer with a psycho killer named Bill for a client. She is in danger of abusing her status as a lawyer as she strives to protect her best friend Donna from this maniac without betraying the confidence the killer has burdened her with. The action was so intense I couldn't put it down and read right through the weekend to the startling end. Glad I did, but sorry the experience is over. Now I look forward to Rebecca's next novel with great anticipation. Hard to believe anything could top this, but with a talented wordsmith like Rebecca chances are she will.

The jeopardy that the killer puts Tara in provides for non-stop intense edge of your seat thrills and suspense. Not even Tara's boyfriend Ben can protest her from the mind-bending antics of the killer as he tries to intimidate her and threaten her, but Tara is too strong wiled to let him succeed. At the shocking conclusion I found myself wondering if the terror would ever end. You will too. Simply delicious action packed suspense. This one deserves five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Counsel, May 18, 2011
WOW! Hold on. Let me catch my breath. This author was able to reach down and relay the workings of a freakishly twisted mind to such a degree that it's frightening. I was on the edge of my seat while reading Keeping Counsel. Just when you think the bad guy can't do anything worse, he does. This book is so good you won't be able to put it down. THIS IS A MUST READ.

1.0 out of 5 stars None, May 19, 2012
I could completely understand the moral dilemma facing this attorney but the rest of the book was completely unbelievable. Spoiler alert...She thought he was trying to make her bleed to death but didnt get stitches until the next day. She didnt call the police when someone cut off her horses tail. Come on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from her Josie Bates series, March 22, 2012
I read all four of the Josie Bates books and really enjoyed them. However, this book is not part of the series, and the writing level and style seemed almost to be by a different writer. I do not like or read romance novels, so that was the main problem. The other problem is that the story does not flow smoothly. I will continue to look forward to the next in the Josie Bates series (hopefully there will be a #5!), though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attorney's Moral Dilemma, May 28, 2011
Studio Su (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Another page turner from Rebecca Forster! Tara, Albuquerque attorney, agrees to represent the newly acquired lover of her best friend and learns that he is guilty of a heinous murder. She finds herself caught up in a tangled web of defending her client and her concern for her friend. Unfortunately, she keeps hitting brick walls as she tries to get help for her client and she finds herself questioning the very ethics that she holds dear in her profession.

Not only is this an outstanding plot with believable, well developed characters, but Forster's writing style is absolutely beautiful! She makes the words come alive on the pages and her descriptions paint a vivid scene in your mind! I felt like I knew everyone personally.

Thank goodness for the Kindle or I would have missed this thought provoking book. This one is an outstanding read! Don't miss it!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was just ok, June 14, 2013
Alicia A. Ebert (Woodruff, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This story started out confusing, and I guess that's why I say it was 'just ok'. I didn't like the ending, either.

Rate and Discover Movies