5.0 out of 5 stars Burly Sounds Beautiful, January 23, 2011
LWC "LC" (San Francisco CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
The first time I heard these speakers I was sold. KEF managed to create a beautiful looking thin line product that produces a clean, accurate and transparent sound equal to much more expensive systems. My living room is almost 20' square, has two large open doorways and large windows with little wall space. The sofa is against one wall at right angles to the front speakers, so I have a challenging setup. I started with the T205 system and quickly realized that the back speakers just weren't producing adequate sound. The extra $200.00 was well spent. KEF calls the sound from the T305 "burly" and that is an apt description. I drive the system at low power most of the time and it produces a deep full rich sound that fills the room.

I didn't mount the speakers on the wall, instead I used the supplied stands to place them within six inches of the wall so that they have the resonance necessary to fill the room. Driving them is an Onkyo HT-RC160, not the most powerful receiver, but it sturdily delivers the power the speakers need with low to no distortion. Any system can play loud, but to get deep rich sound at low sound levels is a treat. As KEF says, these are "exceptionally slim profile speakers that generate all the intricacy, spaciousness and dynamic range of a high end conventional design".

Many satellite systems I looked at produced painfully bright highs to compensate for lack of dynamic range, and the bass was muddy and the subwoofers seemed non-existent or boomy. The T305 produces bright highs and deep bass while maintaining a clear and mellow midrange. Classical music is not tinny, jazz is not muddy, rock and rap come through without rasping. Blu-Ray disks play clean powerful sound, and the subwoofer, which only puts out 250 watts shakes the whole apartment. I get great HD sound without a spendy price.

I buy speakers every ten to twenty years, so I do a lot of research and agonize over the purchase. I spend less time buying a car, and I have owned more cars than speaker systems. I expect this system to last me for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small footprint BIG sound, April 30, 2011
winston S (BROOKLYN, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
We must confess that these speakers were bought for their looks and after reading the above review.

Of course they compliment our large flat screen beautifully but what was surprising was the depth of
sound which they produced. From highs to deep base we have no complaints.

So we now have the best of both worlds. At the right price, our Kef T305 surround sound system looks
like nothing else we can name and sound superior to the larger and more expensive systems
we have heard.

Without a doubt, we recommend this surround sound system to everyone in the market for a new audio visual
experience.

The Sandifords

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect modern and clean, July 29, 2011
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
This is a beautiful speaker system to "hang" on you wall if you don't mind some drilling to hide the speaker wires and maintain a clean appearance. The speaker are simple to install and as a plus you have the added option with the included speaker stand/feet to place them on the floor (still attractive but not as seamlessly elegant). They sound great with clear and powerful mid-range, as is the bass from the sub-woofer. Be aware that the sub-woofer is powered (i.e. needs a power outlet nearby) which may limit your placement, but this is a common concern with sub-woofer placement. Movies sound excellent and clean, as does music coming from these speakers. Perfect accompaniment with flat wall-mounted monitors

5.0 out of 5 stars I got an awesome sound, September 28, 2012
Running off an Onkyo TX-SR607 in 5.1
These speakers sound wonderful. I had always been reluctant to have a separate sub because most .1 systems I'd heard didn't sound natural, but this setup does. I was also worried that the speakers wouldn't be as loud or provide a full sound, but I was wrong. Watching films that rely heavily on synth sounds over a wide range is a joy, and during films like the Bourne Trilogy or the 5th element (for example), I have often paused and said "man, that sounds good!" I previously had a Sony setup with 2 standing, a center channel, and 2 old DCMs with aftermarket 6.5" drivers for my 5.0 setup, and on hard wood floors this was plenty until several of the Sony drivers started to give out.
The main appeal of the T series is the depth, and I'd planned on wall-mounting them until it came time to do it and my 70 year old plaster walls stared me down. God help me if I crack one of those. But the rear channels are on tables and the fronts placed out of the way so it'll work for now. The center channel is robust enough (with some level tweaking on the Onkyo) to adequately cover the wide space between the two front channels. Keep in mind that you will not get low end from a driver this small, and it has nothing to do with depth. A 4" driver simply cannot move enough air to adequately reproduce lows. In this respect, the sub is more than adequate and with the right crossover points and level tweaking, the T series really shines. That's for film, but I'm a music dork too so I'll get to that.
The Onkyo is kindof tricky when doing music and a 5.1 setup is even trickier because I can't just run a stereo signal and get left/right because left/right is 2 channel native, not 2.1. When I've found settings that work best for the music, I am very happy with the sound. Hardwood floors and plaster walls are great for jazz, and I love how clear the acoustic bass sounds in the mix. That may be the best test actually because that instrument runs a wide range of frequencies. I've run plenty of Coltrane, Stereolab (very Moogy), and live Yes through the system, and again, with the right processor on the Onkyo, I am very happy with the sound. The synth on Stereolab is very clear at all frequencies.

To summarize, if you have a problem with these speakers I'd tinker with your receiver because the speakers themselves are top notch. I won't even get started on the PS3 games...as much as I want to. It was hard to justify the price because I'd never sunk more than about $500 in a home theater speaker system and most of mine have just been amassed over the years (20 or so laying around currently, but only the Dynaudio monitors and the KEF are in service presently). The center channel is going to be the workhorse of any multi-channel setup, and with the accompanying sub it sounds great. I don't think it's necessary to get matching satellites so if you wanted to go for the smaller rear speakers, you'd probably be fine. Those don't normally handle as much as the fronts anyway. That said, I don't regret getting the 305 in the least. I actually got another set of 2 to run 7.1 but selling the house within the next year and I'd really rather go into drywall than plaster...sounds great as-is anyway. So in case they stop making these before I would have expanded the setup, I'll have a full set that I intend to keep for many years (like the DCMs though I'm sure radio shack won't be carrying replacement drivers for the T series anytime soon). And when I get 7.1 running...oh man.

PS: I couldn't find a place locally to give these a listen so it was a pretty big leap of faith to spend $3k without hearing them, but I'm completely satisfied. Been running them for 9 months now and my only complaint is that the sub doesn't automatically turn on then an audio signal comes through...it must be a low frequency coming through. I say that but just realized it might be a quirk in my receiver which certainly does have its quirks with signal selection (not signal quality). Also, this is my first .1 setup so that might be common. Either way, the sound quality far outweighs the delay which I should add is noise-free. Ever had an amp that popped when it cut on and off? Yeah, I hate that too. Sign of a cheap or worn out amp. Thankfully I haven't experienced that with this sub. And if you don't go for the T series that's cool, but I'd stay away from the lower priced (under $500) systems whatever you do. Those are the reasons I waited this long to get a .1 setup. What's the point in spending that much money to get bad sound? I digress, happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars These speakers are the bomb!, August 10, 2012
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
WOW! These speakers are great. Who needs to go to a movie theater to experience 5.1 or 7.1 sound quality, when you can have it in the comfort of your own home. Buy these and you will not be disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., May 5, 2013
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
Awesome speakers. I'm using the Onkyo NR-1009. Was about to get the Bose 5.1 speakers when I was introduced to Kef and the rest was history. Kef gives you High Definition sound to complement your HDTV. Anyone speaker can give you raw power and boom, but Kef give you that and clarity. I'm very picky and I'm still sold on kef. That says a lot.

You have to set these to 120HZ for crossover frequency and let your sweet sub take over for bass. (set all speakers to small or 120hz). After watching concert Adele Blu-Ray, the experience is phenomenal. It is like being at a live concert. Yup it is that Great. There is a break in period of 100 hours of use. I'm still in this period and my speakers are still trying to settle in with some crackings. No issues though, just the materials bending and flexing.

Kef T305 with Audessy Dynamic Volume is Superb if your receiver has it.

4.0 out of 5 stars kef t305 pure amazing!, January 10, 2014
garrett heyerdahl (COOPERSTOWN, NORTH DAKOTA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
I was between these or the klipsch rf 62 kit they have on amazon. I'm glad i went with kef! In a large basement these speakers can produce loud and clear sound with no distortion. I'm sure the klipsch kit would yield slightly louder sound but unless your are in a massive room it would be over kill. If your are putting these in a bigger room I would add another sub. The t2 included in the kit has great sound just leaves more to be desired. I got a klipsch sw115 paired with this kit and it blends perfectly. I've never heard the speakers or t2 make a bad note yet and I like it LOUD music or movies! 4 stars only because I had to add another sub

5.0 out of 5 stars On-Wall KEF, October 5, 2012
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
I have been a KEF proponent for more than 2 decades with floorstanding speakers, a subwoofer and surround sound ceiling-mounted speakers in our family room since the late 90s. We recently finished our basement and I wanted to continue with KEF as the sound system for both big screen entertainment media as well as surround sound audio. The T305s were the perfect solution for an "on-wall" product that comes awfully close to floorstanding system in terms of sonic excellence. I could not be more pleased with the results - great balanced approach for the audiophile as well as the AV junkie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its one of the best investments ive ever made!!!, January 27, 2014
This review is from: KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black (Electronics)
I've had so many systems in the my lifetime, and my fathers lifetime that i was done just getting mediocre systems. Bose was good but not great, boston acoustics little better but the clean sound just wasnt there from either system or others ive had. Until i did a good month long research into home theatre systems. Kef... hmm never heard of them but their reviews internationally were all VERY HIGH. I was skeptical because of the depth of the speakers in this system.. but i went for it. After 5 months of weekends filled with friends coming over for football, hockey, and other entertainment; they were all in aww of how amazing the system sounded! I myself have never heard bass sooooo smooth in my life... no rattling, no inconsistency or straining even when being pushed to the limits!!! I would have paid double for this system honestly. For the price its an amazing deal! just need the right receiver pushing the power! My choice was marantz. they have never gave me any issues! also another great company many have not heard of! Overall this system is just unreal for any application!

KEF T305 Home Theater System - Black