5.0 out of 5 stars Great Good Fun, and Wise as Well
Published on June 22, 2012 by Carol DeChant

3.0 out of 5 stars Rodney not quite done justice
I like it but don't love it. It certainly grows on you with each listen. Crowell is one of my favourite songwriters but I don't feel that this compilation does him justice somehow. It is still a good album but I kind of expected more.
Published on January 23, 2013 by Boardie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Good Fun, and Wise as Well, June 22, 2012
Carol DeChant (Evanston, IL & Sarasota, FL) - See all my reviews
I confess that I had never heard of Rodney Crowell before I bought this. I'm a fan of writer Mary Karr, and was intrigued at her venture into co-writing music with a country singer. I can now say that Crowell's "I'm a Mess" is worth the price of the whole set. If I could reproduce even one verse of this brilliantly intricate song here I would, but it's sung so fast I couldn't transcribe it. "A Father's Advice" (sung with Kris Kristopherson) is great good fun, extending an old saying into vast, amusing, (yet wise) warnings to a kid leaving home. Norah Jones does a wonderful "If the Law Don't Want You (Neither Do I)," portraying one of those girls who are a "sucker for a bold-faced lie." We've all known a girl like this (some of us ARE a girl like this!). "Long Time Girl Gone By" (sung by Emmy Lou Harris) is outstanding. I'm not sure which ones Karr contributed to, but it doesn't matter. The lyrics all have a high level of subtlety, creativity and beauty; the performances are stellar, all of which which make the set replayable again & again for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could I be a Country Music fan?, July 25, 2012
I haven't been exposed much to Country music, other than that "Country Rock" crap that has become popular since Achey Breaky Heart. So I never bothered to search out anything Country. I am, however, an NPR fan. I heard an interview on NPR with Mary Karr and Rodney Crowell and heard song excerpts from this CD. I found the stories of the songwriting compelling and enjoyed the little snippets I heard, so I decided to order Kin.

This CD is rich and lush and gorgeous. Some of the songs make me laugh, some make me tear up. But I love every single song on this CD. My only regret is that it's not a 3 hour CD. I could listen all day. I would be hard pressed to imagine this album wouldn't appeal to fans of all sorts of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karr-Crowell Gem!, June 7, 2012
Lori (Texas Gulf Coast) - See all my reviews
I have been waiting forever for this CD and now I can't quit listening to it!

I'm a big fan of Mary Karr's writings and to hear her beautiful words set to music in songs such as "Sister, Oh Sister" (Roseanne Cash never sounded better) and Emmylou's "Long Time Girl Gone By" is so touching. She and Rodney crank it up with Crowell's "I'm a Mess" and Womack's "Momma's on a Roll" so your boots will be a'tapping. Those are my four favorite songs so far but the entire album is awesome.

Rodney Crowell is a smart man and knows talent when he hears it/reads it. Mary Karr is sharp in hitching her wagon to such an amazing legendary songwriter. The two work well together and we are the beneficiary of their collaboration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 16, 2012
Rodney never fails !!
With the addition of Mary Karr and
the other great voices ,every song
Is really good.....and that's rare
on any album !!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful writing, August 22, 2012
This review is from: KIN: Songs by Mary Karr & Rodney Crowell (MP3 Music)
what a great idea, to combine two great writers and then have great artists interpret. highly recommended. And check out other Rodney Crowell work, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever!, August 11, 2012
This review is from: KIN: Songs by Mary Karr & Rodney Crowell (MP3 Music)
I bought this cd after hearing Crowell's "I'm a Mess" on satellite radio. I was not familiar with Ms Karr's work, but am a fan now. The collection of artists is super, and they match the quality of the music. This may be my favorite collection ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music!!!, July 29, 2012
This CD has fabulous songs, excellent artists and is making driving my car even more enjoyable than usual. I especially love Lucinda Williams' singing of "I miss you"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 3, 2013
I have been following Mr Crowell since he married into the Cash clan. His voice is as unique as Dylan's and his song writing is superior. I was recently listening to Sirius when I heard some licks. At the first cord change I knew he had dropped a new album. Rodney once said that desperation was Three A.M. wishing you could write like Dylan and knowing you never would. Listen to "I'm a Mess" and you will know the lyrics are every bit as good as Dylan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rodney not quite done justice, January 23, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of Gems, June 10, 2012
I had to download this CD because it listed 4 of my favorite singers, Emmylou, Vince Gill, Lee Ann Womack and Norah Jones and I am very glad I did. This album is chock full of beautiful songs that are filled with great images and interesting melodies. With so much junk out there in country music these days, it is refreshing to listen to something so unique and wonderful. I loved Vince on "Just Pleasing You" and Lee Ann on "Mommas on a Roll". Great music.