Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now HTL

on June 22, 2012
I confess that I had never heard of Rodney Crowell before I bought this. I'm a fan of writer Mary Karr, and was intrigued at her venture into co-writing music with a country singer. I can now say that Crowell's "I'm a Mess" is worth the price of the whole set. If I could reproduce even one verse of this brilliantly intricate song here I would, but it's sung so fast I couldn't transcribe it. "A Father's Advice" (sung with Kris Kristopherson) is great good fun, extending an old saying into vast, amusing, (yet wise) warnings to a kid leaving home. Norah Jones does a wonderful "If the Law Don't Want You (Neither Do I)," portraying one of those girls who are a "sucker for a bold-faced lie." We've all known a girl like this (some of us ARE a girl like this!). "Long Time Girl Gone By" (sung by Emmy Lou Harris) is outstanding. I'm not sure which ones Karr contributed to, but it doesn't matter. The lyrics all have a high level of subtlety, creativity and beauty; the performances are stellar, all of which which make the set replayable again & again for me.
on June 7, 2012
I have been waiting forever for this CD and now I can't quit listening to it!

I'm a big fan of Mary Karr's writings and to hear her beautiful words set to music in songs such as "Sister, Oh Sister" (Roseanne Cash never sounded better) and Emmylou's "Long Time Girl Gone By" is so touching. She and Rodney crank it up with Crowell's "I'm a Mess" and Womack's "Momma's on a Roll" so your boots will be a'tapping. Those are my four favorite songs so far but the entire album is awesome.

Rodney Crowell is a smart man and knows talent when he hears it/reads it. Mary Karr is sharp in hitching her wagon to such an amazing legendary songwriter. The two work well together and we are the beneficiary of their collaboration.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2012
I haven't been exposed much to Country music, other than that "Country Rock" crap that has become popular since Achey Breaky Heart. So I never bothered to search out anything Country. I am, however, an NPR fan. I heard an interview on NPR with Mary Karr and Rodney Crowell and heard song excerpts from this CD. I found the stories of the songwriting compelling and enjoyed the little snippets I heard, so I decided to order Kin.

This CD is rich and lush and gorgeous. Some of the songs make me laugh, some make me tear up. But I love every single song on this CD. My only regret is that it's not a 3 hour CD. I could listen all day. I would be hard pressed to imagine this album wouldn't appeal to fans of all sorts of music.
on August 16, 2012
Rodney never fails !!
With the addition of Mary Karr and
the other great voices ,every song
Is really good.....and that's rare
on any album !!!!!!
on August 11, 2012
I bought this cd after hearing Crowell's "I'm a Mess" on satellite radio. I was not familiar with Ms Karr's work, but am a fan now. The collection of artists is super, and they match the quality of the music. This may be my favorite collection ever!
on August 22, 2012
what a great idea, to combine two great writers and then have great artists interpret. highly recommended. And check out other Rodney Crowell work, as well.
on May 3, 2013
I have been following Mr Crowell since he married into the Cash clan. His voice is as unique as Dylan's and his song writing is superior. I was recently listening to Sirius when I heard some licks. At the first cord change I knew he had dropped a new album. Rodney once said that desperation was Three A.M. wishing you could write like Dylan and knowing you never would. Listen to "I'm a Mess" and you will know the lyrics are every bit as good as Dylan.
on July 29, 2012
This CD has fabulous songs, excellent artists and is making driving my car even more enjoyable than usual. I especially love Lucinda Williams' singing of "I miss you"
on June 10, 2012
I had to download this CD because it listed 4 of my favorite singers, Emmylou, Vince Gill, Lee Ann Womack and Norah Jones and I am very glad I did. This album is chock full of beautiful songs that are filled with great images and interesting melodies. With so much junk out there in country music these days, it is refreshing to listen to something so unique and wonderful. I loved Vince on "Just Pleasing You" and Lee Ann on "Mommas on a Roll". Great music.
on September 4, 2015
Rodney Crowell has been a long time favorite of mine. His songwriting touches me somewhere deep inside and almost always makes me smile, with a tear running down my cheek. The great thing is that he writes about important topics like love lost, world changing events, family trouble, drink trouble, trouble fitting in, you name it, he's probably written a song about it. All of these negative topics seem to come out of him as just a part of life that he can deal with. He comes across as what I call a forever optimist: there really is a silver lining in every cloud.

Here he has teamed up with Mary Karr, a poet that is definitely a good match, as a co-writer. They both grew up in Texas, they both had troubled families, and they both are fantastic writers. So the songs are the stories of their lives. They kick it up a notch by inviting some of the very best performers in the current country and pop world to sing the songs.

I especially love the song " Momma's on a Roll " sung by LeAnn Womack. Yeah, momma and daddy got a drinking problem, and marriage trouble, from the daughter's point of view. Then we get to Rodney Crowell and Kris Kristofferson (in the dad's voice) on "My Father's Advice" which is just a joy to listen to. The advice given in the chorus by Kristofferson is fairly simple: Never eat in a place called Mom's/don't play cards with a guy named Doc/if you find yourself in a high stakes game, tuck your big bills in your sock/be careful who you cotton to, especially the girls/ if you find someone who loves you son, go on and give it a whirl. Kristofferson's broken old voice (he's in his 70's!) is perfect for this song. It also feels like a real conversation between a father and son that had a difficult relationship, but are still trying to get along. Oh, and it's great good fun too!

I hope you had a better family life growing up than Crowell and Karr did, but if you didn't, I hope you can approach any pain caused by it with optimism and humor like they do on this CD. This is a MUST have. I recommend you add it to your collection now.