Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Destroyer [Remastered] forum

KISS remasters Vs. original pressings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2012 10:07:50 PM PDT
J. Grant says:
I'm going through a phase (call it nostalgia) where I find myself listening to a lot of music that I haven't heard since my high school & college years. I still have a few Kiss, Rush, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, etc. CDs left from then in the original 80's pressings. Now that I find myself wanting to add to my collection, can anybody tell me if the 1997 remasters sound any better (or at least equal to the originals) or did they fall victim to the "loudness wars". I have heard a 1998 remastered import (UK) of Iron Maiden's debut & it sounded pretty dreadful. As with other music that I listen to, the remasters probably vary by label and who the engineer was. For instance, the Byrds, Steely Dan, and Simon & Garfunkel remasters are much better than the 80's releases, while the Stones newest remasters are far worse than the '94 Virgins or even the original Rolling Stones Records issues. I also like their 2002 DSD Abkco remasters of their albums from the 60's. So, any insight would be appreciated, especially on the KISS albums.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:47:39 AM PST
rocker770 says:
the remastered kiss cds are much much better, especially on hotter than hell and both alive albums, no more tape noise

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 12:57:42 PM PST
Ken Fontenot says:
The remastered KISS discs are a definite improvement over the originals. Where most remastered albums just go for a "louder" sound to meet current audio standards instead of a clearer sound, KISS (or at least the people who remastered the albums) put a lot of work into making the songs sound clearer and better. I would also suggest getting a copy of Destroyer Resurrected. Bob Ezrin remastered it yet again and did a brilliant job with the album. There are a few slight changes made to some of the songs, but it is still a great sounding album. It actuall made "Flaming Youth" one of my favorite KISS tunes. The calliope on that track is crystal clear.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:40:40 PM PST
J. Grant says:
Thanks guys.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 7:02:26 AM PST
M. Hemsley says:
It seems that gene "learnt" the bass properly in the time between the original and the remastering too. ;p
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions