Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Boss Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with High Performance RCA Interconnect and Speaker Wire
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Style: 8 Gauge|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 8, 2013
OK. So like many others, I read all the other reviews on this item. In doing so I learned two things.... 1) Everybody thinks they are an expert in car audio, yet they buy the cheapest 4GA wire kit on the internet and complain about it 2) This kit is not 4GA.

Now, I knocked off a star because they advertise 4GA, when in fact it is 8-9 GA. I'll add a picture to the pile showing the comparison of this kits 4GA and a piece of 9GA so you can see the actual difference. Since they are saying they are selling you one thing, and are in fact selling another (and it's amazon direct shipped) I think Amazon should be responsible enough to either A) change the description to alert potential buyers or B) require the manufacturer to actually put the correct gauge cable in the box. However, you must realize that you are paying just over $20 for a complete amp install kit. I even went and looked at the other items mentioned in some of the reviews from wally world etc. They do sell a kit that is 4GA, and reviewers say the wire is true 4GA wire, however they also complain of cheap rem wire, missing parts and poor connectors on the Bravo kit. The Pyle 4GA kit also had comments about not being 4GA. Apparently very common in lower end kits (suprise suprise.....go inquire how much decent real 4GA wire is per foot and then you will see the light, and don't be suprised at $2 a foot or more for quality stuff)
So at the end of the day in research, one cheap kit is about as good as another.

Now, as to what will this kit handle. Well, for that we use a little math. Here's your equation. Multiply the total number of channels on the Amp (or Amps) time the RMS power output per channel. For example, my Fosgate R250-4 250 Watt amp has a 65 x 4 RMS rating so 65x4=260. I also have an inexpensive Dual 8" powered sub box that is 80 watts RMS. So 260 + 80 = 340 total RMS. (RMS means literally, "Root Means Square." That's a whole nother topic though) So now we know my system has an RMS total output of 340. Now double the total RMS output. 340 x 2 = 680. Now divide by 13.8. 680 / 13.8 = 49.28 (rounded to the nearest hundred) That number, 49.28 is the systems actual current draw. At this point, we need a chart to show the required gauge wire based on the length of the Positive Power Wire. This can be found at Crutchfield. (Not sure if they'll allow a hotlink to the page with the chart, if they do it can be found here:
[...]
if they don't allow the link, you can find it using a simple search on Crutchfield's webpage for "cable gauge chart."
In my particular case, the 4GA cable (the 4GA in this kit) is going to run from the battery, to the passenger side seat into a small distribution block where one leg will go to the Fosgate amp, the other to the Dual sub. At the distribution block, the wire gauge will be reduced to normal 8GA in my application. So the 4GA run is going to be roughly 6-8 feet long. Based on the chart, in the 7-10 foot range at 50-65 amps I should use 8 Gauge. (Since my draw was under 50, I could probably get away with 10GA but I rarely have ever used smaller than 8GA) Now you know how to calculate your needs. (there are a great number of charts out there, some different than others. I find Crutchfield to have dependable information 99% of the time)

As to the max power of this kit, assuming it is 8GA.....the max will depend on the length of the power wire for your application, there is no universal max number. As an example, this kit could power a Fosgate T1000 which is a 1000 watt mono amp, which pulls 700 watts rms, as long as the Positive Power Cable is no more than 8 feet long. (Not likely that you'll have 8 feet or less, but it is just an example)

Also, those talking about the Ground wire being to short. The way electricity flows in a car is dependent on the ground. There are varying opinions on this. In my experience, the shorter the better. The best option is to drill your own ground location, use a nut, bolt, and star washer. Make sure to sand away paint in that area. If you aren't comfortable with drilling, use the closest location possible.
review image
1414 comments| 511 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2015
This wire is not 4 gauge wire.

The wire I received is pictured in the middle in the above picture. The wire to the left is Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wire and the wire to the right is Rockford Fosgate 8 gauge wire. The wire Boss is selling is more around a 6 Gauge wire posing in 4 Gauge casing. Admittedly a clever move on the part of Boss, this is deceitful and Amazon should be ashamed to be the listed seller of such a poor attempt to mislead its consumers.

A wires gauge is objective and is not open to interpretation. Running equipment on the wrong gauge wire can damage the equipment which is why they invented the American Wire Gauge (AWG) standard.

I had an appointment to have this wire installed and had to cancel due to the fact that I had to order the actual wire I needed.

This is deceitful at best and fraudulent at worst. Do not trust this product.

Shame on Amazon and Boss.
review image
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2009
Judging from a lot of the reviews here people seemed to be expecting more. Like expecting to pay more for the same or less. I looked at several kits here and elsewhere and I went ahead and ordered this for installing a Boss Bass1200 in a Tacoma pickup (I don't need to rock the car next to me, just me and my passengers). The fuse holder alone costs as much elsewhere (I saw the exact one) as the who kit does here. I don't do this professionally. Install car audio components. I don't have a tool drawer full of 8 gauge wires and nuts and crimp-on fittings (well, some) so this kit looked like the right thing and is enough to do the job with stuff left over. I've got a few niches open in my toolbox to fill. If you're a pro, or a wannabe-pro, I'm not talking to you. If you're a new car owner or someone just trying to upgrade his/her car stereo and you need a kit like this, buy it. It's a good deal.
77 comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2015
The RCA patch cables broke the first time I pulled them out of my brand new amplifier, the center conductor broke off in my amp. Like others have said, I don't believe it is truly 8 Gauge. Also, I should have read the item description more carefully and noticed that the ground cable is only 3' , far too short.You get what you pay for. Don't just buy this kit because it was "recommended" like I did. Lesson learned.
on April 18, 2015
Ive ordered the KIT2 8GA kit from boss a few years ago and since then it has improved quite a bit. The kit now includes what is labeled as OFC Speaker wire (16ga), and OFC RCA, two things that were both not labeled as OFC in years past. Unfortunately the power and ground cables are not labeled as OFC as well, however they appear to be true or very close to true 8GA unlike the last kit i ordered where the sheath was about the size you would expect but the conductor inside was undersized.

Although the speaker wire and RCA's are labled as Oxygen Free Copper, they do not specify what grade, and the box does not mention OFC anywhere, so that is a mystery. My guess its that its a lower grade Partial-OFC that you would expect to see in a kit a bit higher up in the price range. Shame that power and ground are not also OFC but what can you ask for at such a cheap price.

I was also pleased to see that the addition of 20 zip ties, as well as 3 grommets, 3 self tapping screws, 3 differently sized red ring terminals for the power cable, 4 small spade terminals with separate insulators for the speaker wire, 2 larger spade terminals with separate insulators for the ground cable, were all included as well, almost all of which were not included in the old KIT2.

The fuse is even improved as it is now an ANL style GLASS fuse. while not ideal, it is a step up from the filament style glass fuse. The fuse assembly has two grommets on either end to seal the wire inside the fuse holder, and the two gold plated inserts that hold the fuse itself also have O-Rings for further protection. The holder is such that you do not have to disconnect the wires from the pieces that hold the fuse in order to remove it, simply unscrew the end-caps and pull the wire away.

Another nice addition that was not in the old KIT2 is 6ft of wire loom to tidy up and protect the power cable inside the engine bay.

In the end this is obviously not a high end installation kit, but for someone on a budget who doesnt care about having everything Oxygen-Free, its great for the price and includes everything you need for a standard 8GA installation!
on November 4, 2012
A kit like this can be a real money- and time-saver if you are looking to do a car install but don't have a need for extra spools of wire, cable shoes, ties etc. This is a complete and rather attractive kit for the DIYer with a car, an amp, speakers and a tool box. The only issue I have with the kit is the misleading marketing (or rather, blatant lie) calling this 8 AWG. You get plenty of plastics for your money, but little metal - to me the supposedly 8 AWG power and ground wires have a multistranded core about 2.0 mm in diameter rather than the 3.7 mm required of an 8 AWG wire. This suggests that this is closer to 12 than 8 AWG. Having read the other review before ordering, I was ready for this and for somebody in my situation - looking to improve the sound quality in my car for less than a Benjamin, this is still a great kit. The hard-of-hearing car audio enthusiasts looking forward to shaking windows and turning heads half a mile away may need to look at something a little pricier to ensure the power is converted to sound rather than to heat in the wires. The other items also appear to be functional but flimsy - the split wire loom is paper thin, but will hopefully still offer some protection - after all, the plasticc wire insulation in this kit is very thick. I'll try to add some photos to illustrate this review
review image review image review image
on December 13, 2015
Boss is not what it seems.

This is not all copper its CCA - Copper Clad Alminum

2 AWG CCA = 4 AWG Copper
1/0 AWG CCA = 2 AWG Copper

Basically this 8GA kit is a 12GA one
on May 4, 2013
Got it today, went to do a cap install and the cable was thinner than the 12ga Memphis kit that went with my old system. I currently have 8ga Rockford in my car and it was at least 3 times thicker. Had to go to Walmart and pick up a scosche wiring kit. Do not buy unless you are installing a 100watt system.
on October 10, 2014
Don't, just don't buy it. Everything in this kit is like it was put together for a child's toy (except there will be parts considered a choking hazard).

First of all, I'm not so convinced the 8ga wire is a true 8ga. It works fine for the amp I am using (which is also a BOSS and believe me, the amp is fantastic compared to this kit, to please do not take my review of this product as a vendetta against their entire line of products). Second, the insulation on these wires are of a harder plastic variety than you'll find with higher quality car audio installation wiring which isn't terrible but it leaves the wires a little less flexible. Third and most importantly, the RCA cables are GARBAGE!

I want to expand a little on the RCA cable issue because that's my biggest reason for telling anyone not to purchase this kit. I installed my amp and subwoofer one year ago this month (October 2013). Everything went fine and everything sounded great...until Easter Sunday (I just happen to remember the day) when it appeared my subwoofer just died. Logically, I tried adjusting the settings first, nothing, then I tried checking the connections and all relevant fuses, nothing. I knew for sure that the amp was powered up because it was lit up and turned on and off with the head unit powering up and down. At this point, I figured I had blown the subwoofer, I had blown them before in the past and I know that sometimes they just die and pretty much quit working. I decided to go with two instead of one and I ordered two new subwoofers and box. Upon installing the new subwoofers, I immediately noticed that these weren't working either. Frustrated, I figured the amp was blown. I started disconnecting the wiring to the amp which is mounted on my subwoofer box so I could take them out and stick them in the garage until I could get a new amp when I realized the tips of the RCA connectors were a milky white color...PLASTIC!!! I looked closer at the amp inputs and realized there was a very thin gold colored metal inside. I used a toothpick to get them out and realized that they were capped ends on the RCA plugs that came off their plastic tips and into the amp. I twisted the ends back onto the plastic tips of the RCA connections really hard and have had to do this every two weeks or so until I finally have the time to once again rip out my head unit, take apart the panels where the doors are and remove the rear seat of my vehicle...just to redo what I had already done once, simply because I bought some cheap garbage installation kit instead of spending a few more dollars on something of higher quality.

Save yourself the headache, spend a few more dollars and buy something that contains quality part.
on January 19, 2016
As others have mentioned, it's not 8ga wire as advertised. Too bad cause it would have been a great kit. Wanted to know for sure. Stripped the insulation off the "8ga" wire, twisted the strands and took a caliper reading (I didn't crush the strands while taking reading). It's closer to 13 than 12 even...

Also wanted to mention that Amazon was great with their return policy, they understood...
review image review image