Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on August 31, 2010
When older children are ready for a "real" Bible, complete with chapters, verses, and less illustrations, there are a lot of options available. I had the opportunity to review three Bibles for older children. Read on for a giveaway, too!!

The KJV Illustrated Bible for Kids is very similar to the Illustrated Bible for Kids and is also published by Holman Bible Publishers. This would be a very good choice for families whose choice of translation is the King James Version. This Bible also has two columns of text on each page. The KJV Illustrated Bible for Kids does have a special feature. At the beginning of the Bible it has a lengthy list of "Favorite Bible Stories" to help the reader find a specific story they may wish to read. It is approximately a 12th grade reading level, so it may not be ideal of young readers' comprehension. It has many additional features, listed below.

Outstanding feature: KJV but appropriate additional features for kids, "regular" text appearance with chapters and verses, Bible dictionary, and really cool "reconstructions" and items listed below.

The features of the KJV Illustrated Study Bible for Kids and the Illustrated Bible for Kids listed below are identical.
Bible study helps- These are colorful pages found in between the regular pages of Scripture. Included here are many maps, charts, and lists. The reader will find family trees, suggestions for how to have a quiet time, how to study your Bible, Names of God, and "reconstructions" of what some buildings may have looked like in Bible times.
Plan of salvation- The style used at the beginning of the Bible is the ABC's of Becoming a Christian, and it includes several verses. (Admit you are a sinner and turn away from your sin. Believe that Jesus is God's Son and accept God's gift of forgiveness. Confess your faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord.)
Topical concordance for kids
Bible dictionary for kids
Expanded outline-This is an extensive chart that has each event in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and tells you where you can find each event in those books of the Bible.
Parables of Jesus chart- This gives each parable name, reference(s), occasion, and lesson taught. It's thorough and easy to read!
History of the Bible- At just two pages in length, this is a brief history of the Bible. It is a good summary of how the Bible came to be. I think this is a good feature, but when it says, "The Bible was written by about forty different men over about sixteen hundred years." I wish it had explained in the next sentence (instead of later) that each book was inspired by God since that can be confusing for children since we call it God's Word. Later it does explain that God directed men to arrange the many books of the Bible into one book.
Though the back of each Bible states a feature as "The Ten Commandments for Kids," there is a list of the 10 Commandments in the Bible study helps, but it was only a list, and not elaborated on or reworded for children. It is nice for the kids to be able to read them in list form, but I would prefer some explanations and life applications for this section. That is the only drawback to these Bibles.

Overall, I think these are both a good choice for an older child who is ready for a Bible with chapters and verses instead of storybook format, and I like that there are two translations of the same Bible so parents can choose which is best for their family, or use it as a family Bible. Though I wish this had additional "study Bible" helps, it is a solid choice.
44 comments45 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2012
I bought this version and "NKJV Early Readers Bible". This has a lot more pictures, which my 8 year olds in Sabbath School class appreciate a lot more.
KJV is written in older English language but is closest to original Bible. All the other versions including NIV are base on untrustworthy "Alexandrian" translation (which erased many important texts).
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2011
Great bible, not only for children but geez I loved it for myself! It has so much information, illustrations and explanations, my 6yr old is intrigued by it. It's still the same good 'ole bible but has resources to help a child understand what they're reading. I definately recommend it.
on October 18, 2011
I ordered this Bible for my daughter, who is turning 5. It is colorful and has wonderful study tips and aids. I can't wait to give it to her! :)
on March 23, 2013
KJV Bible for kids. A awesome tool. It explains the KJV verses in an easy to understand way. Great pictures to explain also. Any child will benefit from this book.
on April 15, 2014
I purchased this for my 6 year old after seeing all the good reviews. I wanted a bible for her that would actually explain the bible to her. I thought this was an illustrated Bible. The bible is not really illustrated. It is basically just a KJV bible with 3 to 4 color pages included before each book of the Bible. There is some nice information on those pages for tasks like learning the books of the Bible and the Ten Commandments, but not actually a study bible to help kids understand what they are reading. This is definitely not easy for a six year old to use or understand. It is hardcover and sturdy and might be good for 10 year olds+.
on December 21, 2012
I bought this for my 7 year old son and its perfect for him to grow in to. However we have had it less than a year and the binding is already coming apart so that's disappointing
on June 26, 2012
First of all my item came in record time! I was so happy! The item was is very good condition. This was my first time getting a children's study bible and to be honest I'm very critical on purchasing certain bibles. But as I skimmed through the item, it was everything I wanted. I have no negative remarks at all. I've even recommended this item to a friend. Thank you very much!
on March 14, 2013
Picked this up for my 6 year old daughter for her birthday as she wanted her own Bible. At the time it was a little hard for her to read but as she's getting better and better at reading this is getting easier for her to understand.
on February 25, 2014
I searched awhile for a kids bible for my six year and I LOVE this bible!! This is like an adult bible, except easier for kids to read with some pictures. It delivered fast too! Before the expected delivery date. Definitely would recommend!