Format: Bonded Leather
First off using the King James version is right on, it is a word for word translation and one of the best ever. The Bible includes the full king jams text, a presentation page, ton's of Notes from DR Henry M. Morris, many which clarify the text and others of a scientific nature. There are also sections in the appendix for the authenticity of the Biblical text; The Creation Vs. evolution debate as world views and where they lead; The logic behind Biblical creationism; A Historic Outline of the genesis; Explanation of scientific evidence proving recent Creation; Proof of the universality of the great flood; A listing of Bible believing Scientists; and many other help; As well as a concordance. This is a great Bible Version, A Great Study bible and also can be a great help in Apologetics (reaching the lost). I would Highly recommend this Bible.
Format: Leather Bound
IMHO this is the best study Bible available in English and has been since it superseded the earlier edition and previous best study Bible The Defender's Study Bible. How can I make such a claim? Allow me to illustrate.

KJV: To start with it uses the standard King James Version as the basic text. There is a reason that the overwhelming majority of people who make accuracy of translation their highest priority choose the KJV: a disagreement over textual criticism: the methods used to arrive at the correct text from a collection of hand-written copies, including both scribal errors and (possibly) deliberate changes. Up through the KJV, the underlying principle was "majority rules", that is all things being equal, the reading that is the most common is the most likely to be correct. However, virtually all post-KJV translations have used a different underlying principle: "age before beauty", that is assuming that a handful of older by a century manuscripts rediscovered beginning in the 18th century contain the correct readings even though they represent only about 5% of the total and appear by internal evidence to all have been copies of copies descended from the same original source. The problem is that if this assumption is wrong (and there are excellent reasons for believing it to be wrong), all such versions are introducing more errors than they correct while after nearly 400 years the errors in the KJV have pretty much all been caught and either corrected or footnoted in modern editions. Since the total differences in the NT versions amount to no more than 5% and (arguably) change no major doctrines of Christianity, one might be tempted to dismiss this as Yet Another argument about the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin, but conservatives point with some justification to the occasionally dishonest footnotes in some modern versions which falsely assert "majority rules" for what are in fact minority readings and call into question by enclosing within brackets text that there is no rational reason for questioning.

ANNOTATIONS: This still leaves a wall full of KJV study Bibles; what separates this one from the pack are the over 9,000 footnotes that, according to the Introduction, "explain the Bible's difficult passages, resolve its alleged contradictions, point out the evidences of its divine origin, confirm its historical accuracy, note its remarkable anticipations of modern science, demonstrate its fulfilled prophecies, and in general remove any doubts about its inerrancy, its authority, and its ability to meet every human need."

What makes them particularly useful is that they are printed directly below the text in question, putting the defense of so-called Biblical "mistakes" within easy reach of anyone looking them up. Of course no claims of divine inspiration are made for these works of man, but they do represent the culmination of many years of careful research.

Despite years of Bible study, I was frankly astonished by how much I learned from reading these notes, especially things present right in the text all along that I had somehow missed. For example, one of the minor but by no means insignificant claims of a Biblical mistake is in Gen 9:13-16 where God supposedly first puts the rainbow into the sky as a token of His promise never to destroy the Earth again with a flood. Well, this is OBVIOUS nonsense because, as we now know, the conditions for producing a rainbow occur quite frequently after a rain so that the only way this verse could possibly be true is if it had never rained before the Flood.

Funny how I had never really noticed Gen 2:5-6 before: "...for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth... But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground."

Other notes explain how this could have worked, based on a scientific explanation of what the "waters which were above the firmament" of Gen 1:7 were and what their effects would be and how the mechanism of the Flood would work, but the interesting thing to me is that if you assume that some ancient just made it all up, how did he know that it was necessary to claim that it had never rained prior to the Flood for the story to work? Which is more plausible to you? An unsung ancient Isaac Asimov? Or just some Bozo writing down what he observed without necessarily fully understanding it?

INTRODUCTIONS: In addition to the annotations each testament and each individual book of the Bible have introductions addressing more general questions. One of the most interesting to me was the introduction to Genesis. Liberal Bible scholars almost universally insist that Moses was not the actual author of Genesis, and this introduction agrees but not in the way that liberals mean it. Again the evidence was in the text in plain sight all along in the form of the recurring phrase "These are the generations of..." followed by a name. Parallels with the terminology of ancient Babylonian tablets indicate that these names are actually the signatures of the original writers as the tablets were being passed down to the next author, and whenever Genesis is referenced in the New Testament, Moses is NEVER claimed as the author, unlike the case with references to the other four books of the Pentateuch, which often claim Moses as the author. This makes sense because Genesis records alleged history long prior to Moses' lifetime while Moses was a direct participant in the events of the following books. So the text of Genesis itself claims it to be composed of the assembled writings of Adam, Noah, the three sons of Noah, Shem, Terah, Isaac, Jacob, and Esau, with the final section being based on information from "the sons of Jacob." And just as critics claim, there ARE two separate creation accounts in Genesis divided by Gen 2:4. The second is part of Adam's account while the first ends with the slightly different phrase, "These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created." Since the first section, Gen 1:1-2:4a, tells of events prior to the existence of any witness to record them, logically God Himself must either have written this section directly or specifically revealed it to Adam, and another alleged "mistake" is resolved.

APPENDICES: Finally there are almost a hundred pages of useful appendices, addressing specific topics. To me the most interesting were the "Global Processes Indicating Recent Creation", which details a large number of worldwide natural processes whose rates are currently known yet which cannot possibly be reconciled with a 4.6 billion year old earth, and the Chronology of the Patriarchs in Genesis, based on the lists in Gen 5 and 11, which reveals some astonishing overlaps:

Adam could have known all the pre-flood patriarchs except Noah and Shem.
Noah could have known all the pre-flood patriarchs except Adam and Seth.
Noah and Shem could have known Abraham.
Shem could have known Isaac and Jacob.

Note: This Bible was published in several different formats from hardback to genuine leather at several different prices so pick the one that fits your budget. About the only recommendation I'd make is to get a "thumbed" edition; having tried thumb indexes once, I'd never go back!

Note: At one time there was an advantage to purchasing direct from ICR because they would include a PC version on CDROM for free, but now that the complete Bible and Notes are available online at their website, they have apparently stopped the practice. After all if you can go on the Internet anytime you want to search it, why fill up your hard disk with it?

Note: One downside to all these annotations is that in many places, in Genesis and Revelation in particular, the notes take up more of the page than the Bible verses do. For study this causes no difficulties, but for reading along this WILL result in a lot more page flipping for you than for the rest of the congregation. It isn't quite, "In (flip) the (flip) beginning (flip) God..." but the first two pages contain Gen 1:1-2 and nothing else but notes!

Note: A new edition has recently been published as The Henry Morris Study Bible, the change worth noting being a conscious effort to correct the typos in this edition.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Bonded LeatherVerified Purchase
These days it seems few people prefer the King James Version. But is seems to be a fact that the best Bible scholars are the ones that grew up back in the day reading and memorizing the King James. You may prefer the NIV for casual reading, but please don't miss out on this easy to understand, conservative, wonderful Study Bible just because it's the KJV! If you love the Word of God, You will love this Bible! Check out this example:

Genesis 16:7 (from the story of Hagar) "And the angel of the Lord found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur."

Here is what Dr. Morris says about this verse: "16:7 angel of the LORD. This is the first specific reference to angels in Scripture (though angels are called the "sons of God" in 6:2). Here it is "the angel of the LORD [Jehovah]," specifically identified ( 16:13) as Jehovah Himself. The term "the angel of the LORD," therefore, seems often to refer to Christ Himself in a theophany."

Reviewers Note: Theophany means: Any direct, visual, manifestation of the presence of God.

I chose this example because I am particularly intrigued by the presence of Jesus throughout the Old Testament! Dr. Morris sites may more example of this amazing fact!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
Dr. Henry Morris is a scientist of the first rank and a Bible scholar of the same. He would never say this about himself, however, which is another mark of this greatness. His humble yet exacting approach to the Bible and its claims is elucidating. I have been reading the first Defender's Study Bible through cover to cover since my wife got it for me and I am excited about receiving this new edition so I can do the same with it.

Time is precious and I can recommend no other study Bible more highly. If the Bible is true then it should be borne out by evidence and it is! Although the KJV is 16th-17th century English I consider this a benefit in that it helps me better understand the language of the seminal documents of our nation like the Declaration of Independence. The KJV is also very beautiful in its rendition.

If the New Defender's Study Bible is better than the first version it is a MUST have for your library.
on October 27, 2009
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
The KJV New Defenders Study Bible is an excellent source of teaching on pertinent issues found in the Bible from the Book of Genesis to the Book of Revelation. Dr. Henry Morris has proved his scholarly skill in expounding the scriptures well and the notes in this Bible are full of information and facts that every believer (and doubters) need to defend their faith written in a style that is easy to understand and read. The cross-referencing and research that has been done both internally and from other sources is outstanding! The index and appendices contain faith building and exciting charts, graphs, and information relating to many subjects. The KJV New Defenders Study Bible has been my main Bible for 2 years now and later this year I plan to complete reading word for word from Genesis to Revelation both the text and Dr. Henry Morris' study notes. Because I am a Christian who follows the teachings of Menno Simons (i.e. Mennonite)I do not agree with all of the doctrines that Dr. Henry Morris does, but see that he has presented his notes in such a way that I do not feel my faith being threatened. His strongest point is Biblical 6-Day Young Earth Creationism, and I agree wholeheartedly with him there! Even if you do not chose to read through this entire work, it will prove to be an excellent source for study of the Word of God and provide you with a powerful cross-referencing source for you Bible Study Library!
on December 21, 2009
Format: Bonded Leather
I have been a follower of Jesus now for almost 40 years. In that time I have read a number of different Bibles. Of all of the study bibles I have read, this is, in my opinion, the Very Best. I have come to love the KJV and this study bible was a major factor in my coming to love the KJV. When I was a young believer I could not understand the KJV, so I didn't begin to grow until I was given The Way (The Living Bible). I devoured it in a short time. I next took up the NASB Ryrie Study Bible. I used the NASB for many years trying others from time to time until the first Defenders Study Bible came out. I was motivated to try the KJV again not only because of Dr. Morris' love for it, but because other bible teachers that I respect (Chuck Smith, Chuck Missler, etc...) have a high regard for it and because it is a part of our American heritage. I now consider the Defenders Study Bible the best Study Bible I have ever encountered. I have other study bibles (the Apologetics, Archaeological, Ryrie, ESV, NIV SB, NIV Student SB, NIV New SB, Thematic, The Word for Today, Scofield, and Thompson's Chain Reference), but the New Defender's Study Bible is my favorite and my "go to" for study bibles. Yes, the KJV does take some effort to get used to, but it is well worth the effort. The NEW Defender's Study Bible is even better than the first edition. I highly recommend it.

One of the great hurdles for my faith came in college before I had heard anything about Biblical Creationism. I just couldn't reconcile the Genesis 1 account with the evolutionary theory. This all changed when my college atheist biology instructor offered extra credit for attending a debate between Dr. Duane Gish and the President of the Western Anthropological Society. I was on a debate team in high school so I had a little more firsthand experience with debating than most of the attendees. I was absolutely stunned to see the creationist clean the evolutionist's clock. Dr. Gish took the evolutionist down in his own area of expertise. This experience along with getting a hold of a copy of The Genesis Flood galvanized my faith. I never looked back after that. I began to critically study evolution instead of just accepting carte blanche what my 'expert' instructors said. It was this experience that introduced me to Dr. Morris. Thus I had to check out the Defender's Study Bible when it came out. I was not disappointed. Here Dr. Morris has integrated his insights of decades of study of the Bible, and science, and evolution, and creation. You will be enriched by this scientist and college professor who is a faithful man of God and whose first love is the Lord Jesus Christ.

I was hoping Logos and Accordance would offer it with their software, but the only Bible software that offers it at this time is Quickverse for Windows. There it comes with the Platinum version and in the Defenders Collection and as a separate Defender's Study Bible. I am hoping that Accordance and Logos will add it soon. If you have and like the Defenders Study Bible please go to the Accordance Discussion Forum [...] and request it.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. The New Defender's Study Bible can be found at answersingenesis.org and icr.org for around $40 and it is well worth the price.
on January 16, 2012
Format: Leather BoundVerified Purchase
The Bible is the inspired Word of God. The notes by Dr Henry M Morris (now deceased) while not a part of the inspired word of God and therefore not infallible are an excellent aid in understanding the relationship between the forces of nature and the Word of Nature's God. Dr Henry M Morris was a general engineer specializing in hydrological engineering.
on August 17, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
At a different site, I almost bought this very study Bible at twice the price, and as it turns out, I still wouldn't have been disappointed. It's not your usual study Bible. This one is easier to follow than any I've found. It's for the person who is looking to understand the meat of the Word, and provides amplifying information not normally found in other study Bibles. It provides for a more user-friendly understanding about what you've read (without providing a dictionary/thesaurus below), and perfectly complements the text without confusing you with so many references that you feel like you're studying for an exam. Of course if you're studying for an exam, you might think about a different version. I give the author an A+
on May 11, 2011
Format: Bonded LeatherVerified Purchase
This bible does a great job on the creation aspect. It takes a literal interpretation of the creation story. Overall I would highly recommend this bible to anyone these days because we have evolution crammed down our throats so much without much explanation on for the literal creation story. There were only a few interpretations I disagreed with but they were minor. This is only of my favorite study bibles!
on August 16, 2007
The good;
First let me say I agree with the other reviewers and will tell you this is a wonderful study Bible. I purchased it because I am a fan of Dr. Henry Morris and his work in studying and making available to Christians everywhere strong scientific basis for the literal interpretation of the Bible and creation.
The notes in the Bible with his insights are wonderful and will help you grow in a your understanding of the Bible. The notes are extensive and as one reviewer noted they are the same font size as the Bible text and do take up a considerable amount of the page throughout the Bible. I did not really find this a hindrance at all and in-fact like the fact that the larger font makes the notes easier to read. I also liked the self-pronouncing text and in-text explanations of archaic words, So I think that is really a matter of personal preference.
I would not really look at this so much as a traditional study bible but as a bible with a commentary built in.

The bad;
I did not know Dr. Morris's denominational affiliation and I really did not expect that he would have any dogmatic theological positions in his notes other then his strong stand for a literal six day creation.
But here is an excerpt from his introduction to the Bible;

"The Bible does contain many teachings that Christians have disagrees about, of course, and some annotated Bibles try to take neutral positions on such controversial doctrines. I have thought it best, however, to express my own convictions on these matters, even at the risk of losing some readers who hold other views...Based on this literal and contextual approach, the notes become what one might call Baptistic in ecclesiology, pre-millennial in eschatology, non-charismatic in pnematology, and moderately Calvinistic in soteriology. These are man-made terms, of course, and no attempt has been made to develop formal theological doctrines in the notes. I have tried to be irenic, rather than argumentative, in dealing with such controversial matters, so it is hoped that anyone who disagrees with any particular annotation will still find the other notes helpful and profitable."

As a Charismatic Armenian I do wish Dr. Morris had taken a more neutral position on matters that in my opinion are probably outside of area of expertise as a creationist bible teacher, and had I known this about him and the bible notes I may not have bought it. But I will say to his defense he does not take a very strong dogmatic stand in the notes even though it does become obvious what he believes about certain bible passages. For instance he does not dogmatically say that the spiritual gifts in 1st Corinthians 12 stopped with the Apostles but the notes do reflect the fact that he does not believe they are for today either.

Here is an example of Dr. Morris's notes from 1st Corinthians 12:8
"...No individual would have all the gifts, nor (probably) would any one church. Some would cease with time, others would be added, as needed. They are gifts of the Spirit "as he will" not "as I wish". "

And 1st Corinthians 12:10
"...The word tongue itself (Greek glossa from which we get "glossary"), always refers either to a definite structured language or else the physical organ of speech as used in both biblical and extra-biblical Greek writings (never meaningless noises)."

To me this reflects the misunderstanding of charismatic christians by non-charismatic christians and the gifts of the Spirit.
Modern day speaking in tongues are often in known foreign languages and in our modern times have resulted in people that were present when they were being spoken that knew those languages recognizing them and being converted to the Lord by hearing them. It is not just "meaningless noises".
Additionally, the gifts of the Spirit are indeed given by the Lord as he wills and not as we desire but if we are not open to them being from the Lord in our modern time he does not force them on us either.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...