Published on December 9, 2011 by angelicayates

3.0 out of 5 stars Better have a lot time
What the box leaves off on the description is you need: patience, lots of time, and lots of room for all the parts. The average 9 year old will have a little trouble putting it ALL together. It will require parental help if your child is young. I wouldn't recommend it for a child younger than 10 and that might be stretching it.
Published on January 5, 2012 by Deana McClellan

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my son off of the computer! He played with this for hours!, December 9, 2011
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
I gave one of the 3 Kinex sets I had purchased for Christmas to my son after he received a perfect report card.... as a gift. I thought carefully about the decision because I already have all of my shopping done for Christmas...I chose the Kinex in hopes that it would spark his imagination & I was pleasantly pleased! He played with it all night and is asking everyone to give him more for Christmas so he can build bigger things!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, March 24, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
I bought this toy for my 8 year old son. He built it by himself in just two afternoons. He loves playing with it, and it becomes the center of attention when his friends are visiting. After playing with it for many hours, the tracks needed to be adjusted a little, and he enjoyed doing it. It's part of the educational experience. Long story short: This is an awesome toy for a curious boy and I'm glad I purchased it. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great indoor learning activity, December 23, 2011
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
My 12 year old daughter was home sick from school for 3 days and put the whole thing together by herself. Yes, she made mistakes and had to figure out what was wrong but now she wants to build buildings and feels she can do it after completing this. It is rather big so where to store it is a problem as we dont have alot of space. I would buy other toys from this company again.

4.0 out of 5 stars 9 and up and up!, January 15, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
Santa should have checked the age on the box before he ordered! Santa brought this for my 6yr. son who has done many a Lego designs on his own from the manuals provided. He did a medium Lego Star Wars star destroyer by himself in 3 hours....Daddy started this K'nex set at 9am Xmas morning with son watching and helping as much as he could...after first hr. he lost interest entirely...{the lure of other Xmas toys called him.} 12noon... Daddy was putting the plastic chains used to pull the cars up together. Once the chains were on and the cars were going the boy loved it. The manual is about 100 pages long. There are very few and, not the most common, extra pieces. Other than it's really made for older children, the boy enjoys it. Can't say that for Daddy, though...LOL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for curious kids., July 10, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
My son is always getting into things and taking them apart. This construction set has kept him busy for a little while now. He first made the giant roller coaster set but then also made some smaller things out of the rods. He really likes taking them apart and putting them back together and the toys can withstand his rough handling of some of the items. They are virtually indestructible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, dodgy instructions, delicate operation, January 6, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
As mentioned by others, this is quite a project - even for adults. I could probably put it together in a half day, but it took my 7-year-old probably 15 hours. But, that's most of the fun.

The instructions are very dense and often don't leave things 100% clear (contrasted with Lego Technics kits, which are always clear and understandable). Most annoying, though, is that we had to make a few small mods when we were done to get it to work even moderately well. The chain still jumps track, sometimes, and the car gets stuck causing chain to stop and the motor to grind gears.

Pretty fun, though, and not bad for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better have a lot time, January 5, 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars An Intricate Project, January 5, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
My six year old son saw the K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster at the store one day and fell in love. It was the only thing he asked Santa for at Christmas. Santa, wanting to make the kid happy and apparently not paying very close attention, ordered the gift and delivered it on Christmas Eve (of course Santa shops at Amazon.com). The six year old was delighted to find the exact gift under the Christmas tree. Saving his own sanity, Santa had decided not to set up the gift and left it in the box. Setting it up is most of the fun.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that the gift is for children ages 9+ and includes over 1100 pieces. Ha! Good thing my six year old son has a ten year old brother who spent most of his Christmas day setting up the roller coaster. After eight hours he had finished one of the two roller coasters. We'll finish the other one--some day. It is pretty cool and the entire family has enjoyed watching it go.

This is not an appropriate gift for a six year old. It clearly says so on the box. However, my ten year old very much enjoyed putting together the intricate project. And as an additional benefit it was hours before I heard him say he was bored. My brother and his son have one and they work on it together for an hour at a time on Sunday afternoons.

It is an exceptional toy for teaching of construction and following intricate instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time consuming, but fun, December 29, 2011
L. Camara (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
My seven-year-old son received this for Christmas and it was a huge success. It is a big building project for a child, but he was able to do it mostly by himself, with exception of installing the chain, which I had to do myself. All told, it took him about seven hours to put it together, spread out over two afternoons. He is very patient about this kind of project and follows the directions well, but I had to make some corrections as he went. The directions themselves are mostly pretty clear. In any case, he liked it a lot. Some caveats: two important pieces were missing. We found replacements from another k'nex set we own, but we would have been in trouble had we not been able to do this. Installing the chain and getting it to work was frustrating because a key instruction seems to be wrong. It took some time to get it going, which required taking a small section apart, making our own adjustments and ignoring the instructions. Once it was running, my son and his little brother enjoyed it a lot, but the real fun is in building it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy to fix as it looks, December 20, 2012
This review is from: K'NEX DoubleShot Roller Coaster (Toy)
I gave it a 3 star because there is a missing part and now I got to wait for my local supplier to send me the part to complete it. Am lucky that my country local supplier is willing to help without question of which country I got this set of Knex. I ordered this from Amazon US and is staying in Singapore. This set is not sold in Singapore yet.

It's not meant for 9+ as it is not that easy to build. The book is not that easy to follow. It's not like Lego where they tells u how many parts of which item to prepare before starting that page. Knex u gotta count the parts for the page urself and may in the event miss out some. There are times where I don't understand the diagram and had a hard time fixing that page.

Will update on how well it works when I get my missing piece.

Btw, I got this for my 7yrs old boy who is so good with his Lego for ages 10+ and above but he can't understand the Knex which is for 9+. I ended up fixing the whole thing while he looks on.....

Update.
Ok the missing part came and I've finished building it. It's fun watching the cars go and we even combine the 2 tracks. Now on 1 cycle the red car go blue track, next red car go red track and back to the blue track!!! My boy is learning how to adjust the angle of the track to make the cars go faster. Even my hubby try to adjust it to make them go faster. It's great fun for the whole family. And I'm lucky the part came on Christmas Eve as this is my son's Christmas present 2012!!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!