Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KONG Extreme Dog Toy, Large, Black
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Size: Large|Change

on July 5, 2013
My working line Malinois has iron jaws which can crush anything, but not this black kong! We have two and use them a lot for training and playing. The way this thing jumps when thrown drives my dog crazy. The toy is really good and this is the only indispensable toy for us (save for the decoy and bite suit )) There was some smell but it quickly disappeared.
on September 16, 2014
on September 16, 2011
I have a 90LB one-year-old black lab that completely destroys all toys...even KONGs. But this large black one finally was indestructable. Only problem is that his lower jaw got stuck in the toy. This happened in an instant during supervised play. It was jammed so bad that he had to be put under fully by a vet so that the toy could be drilled off. His gums were shredded from him yelping and flailing around trying to get it off. KONG assumes no responsibility for their unsafe toy. They have a tedious claim process that is designed to make you give up. I'm not trying to sue them or anything...just a little compensation for the vet bills....maybe just a refund for the toy?? I've read blogs stating that this same incident has happened to many others. So stay away from KONG unless you are OK with paying the vet and having an unhappy puppy. I stand by my review. If you want pictures of our injured dog...email me. thumpertonmildly@gmail.com

Thanks for reading,
Dave
1515 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2013
The black Kongs are a great toy and I have a lot of them around the house. I have three 50lb pit mixes and they love to chew. I was fostering a 80lb pit mix so I got the XX-Large Kong for him. It is too big. It is heavier and harder for the dog to carry in their mouth. They also seemed to get the PB and treats out much easier due to the larger hole. I did notice that they had a tougher time chewing off pieces because it was too big to fit their mouth around, it also could have been because my dogs preferred the Large sized kong. Like every toy we have had they start to get pieces off of this Kong and we had to toss it out. It lasted 8 months where the Large ones only last about 6 months. Even the larger dog preferred the smaller kongs.
on August 24, 2011
Got my two German Shepherds each one of these. They normally rip apart a regular red Kong in a half hour. These are still doing good after many hours of chewing. I even hit one with the lawnmower and it showed no signs of damage. It sure went flying though!!
on July 13, 2015
Our 7 month old puppy I lovingly call the destroyer of all things good met her match, a black KONG!!! I stuffed it with organic treats, filled it with the KONG Liver stuffing and froze it overnight. Of course our other dogs have the red KONGS but not the pup, she eats her way through everything!!! I highly recommend you purchase this if you have her twin!!! Be sure to get one for every member so you don't create pack envy. This pup is so smart she even figured out if she flings it through the air (heavens only knows what's going to break next because its quite large and made of very hard rubber) it helps break the seal so the goodies inside come out. At least it keeps her busy long enough for me to post a review :)
review image review image review image review image
on July 11, 2014
Like some other folks on this list, VERY DISAPPOINTED in the Extreme Kong. My dog is only 50 pounds. Not a super chewer by any means. She managed to chew this apart and had to have a piece of this surgically removed from her small intestine with a VERY INVASIVE surgery to the tune of $4,000. She didn't eat for a week and is now recovering (thank GOD!) from this internal surgery. PLEASE DON"T LEAVE YOUR bigger dog alone with this toy. It's not safe and it will end up causing you a lot of stress and money
on January 6, 2012
Our 107 lbs. Olde English Bulldogge is a HUGE chewer. We replace our Kong extreem XX-Large about every 6 months they are most durable dog toys I have found. I also like that they are made in USA.
on December 15, 2015
So far this is the best toy I have found, our dog goes through it in about a month, but any other toys he destroys in about 20 min, we have a 90lb American Staffordshire terrier and the size XL works best, the XXL didn't last as long because he can get his mouth inside it better to tear it apart.
on August 27, 2007
I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and this is the only toy he doesn't destroy within one day.