Top positive review
436 people found this helpful
For extremely extreme chewers, size UP!
on April 7, 2009
I got the Extreme Kong (black), because my rat terrier had already torn apart a Classic Kong (red). He goes through plush squeaky toys in no time flat. He has chewed pieces out of one Extreme Kong, but not the other two. What have I learned to keep him from shredding Kongs?
1) Always supervise your dog with this toy (at least until you know how well it will hold up). Yes, the instructions say this. It's not just CYA legal BS. Until you know for SURE that *your* dog can't chew through the Extreme Kong, don't leave him unattended with this toy. (Unfortunately, this means that I can't give it to him in his kennel to alleviate boredom when I leave the house.)
2) If your dog has already destroyed other toys, consider sizing up from the "recommended" size. My dog weighs 25 lb, which is solidly in the "medium" range, but the Large Kong is better for his extreme chewing. The Extreme Kong he tore apart was a Medium. He hasn't managed to tear apart the Large yet.
3) Don't fill it all the way with peanut butter. Stuff the bottom 1/2 - 2/3 with dry food or treats and the clog the top 1/3 or so with something soft like peanut butter. If you fill the whole thing with something that's impossible to get out without tearing the toy apart, your dog will tear the toy apart.
4) Wash it on a regular basis. I have more than one Kong so I can still use one while the other is being washed. I like to soak mine in warm, soapy water for a few hours before sticking it in the dishwasher. This seems to get it clean even if there's peanut butter in the crevices. Dried on cheese can be a bit harder to clean out (I use the pointy end of a spoon or even a toothbrush to get at those bits).
5) If you notice your Kong is showing wear, replace it. Once it starts to give, your extreme chewer can destroy it pretty fast. Don't let him get that far!
No toy is indestructible, but the Extreme Kong lasts longer than anything else I've found. Read the insert that comes with your Kong and follow the recommendations to keep your dog safe and entertained.