I've had this machine for about two months, now. It makes great espresso, with a nice thick crema. People complaining about crema are often not using the proper beans, or aren't grinding them immediately before making the espresso. It makes a huge difference.

Published on March 8, 2010 by Jason B. LeBrun

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!
Published on April 12, 2010 by M. Evans

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!, April 12, 2010
M. Evans (Kirkland, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KRUPS XP5240 Pump Espresso Machine with KRUPS Precise Tamp Technology and Stainless Steel Housing, Silver (Kitchen)
I purchased the XP5240 in Nov. '09. I went against my better judgment in doing so as there were no reviews yet as it was a new model and I had had a Krups Espresso Pronto since 1994 that was showing signs of giving up. So, what could go wrong? Well, let me tell you. Six weeks after I recieved the XP5240 the frothing attachment threads stripped out and another part of the machine started to leak. I took it to the local repair just before Christmas and was told in mid January that it had to be replaced. It then took two more weeks to recieve one from Krups. That machine arrived with the frothing attachment glued on at the threads and one of the 3 clips broken off and a brown colored liquid that came out while priming the machine. Krups asked me to ship it directly to them. They said it was shipped to me from another service center and not them directly. After 3 weeks I called to find out what was wrong with the 2nd machine. I was told that it was being tested. I explained to her that this was a replacement machine that was defective and I wanted a new one. She told me that she would have a supervisor call me. Two days later a supervisor named Pierre called and said that they saw no brownish liquid and had replaced the broken piece and were shipping it back to me. I told him that I wanted my money back and he said that this was all he could or would do for me. Two weeks passed and the machine arrived. About a week later the O ring on the frother dissapeared. Once again I called their customer service number. I was told that they would send me another O ring at no charge as this apparently is not a warranteed part and to expect it in 1-2 weeks. Two weeks passed and nothing. On April 8th I called them only to be told the the O ring is on back order. I asked her if they were going to call me and let me know or if I was just to sit and wait for it. She told me should have another supervisor call me that day or on the 9th. It is now April 12th and no call.
I've been able to use this machine for maybe a month out of the last 5 months. I'm glad I kept the 16 year old machine as a back-up just in case this happened. As for loyalty to Krups? It's gone! Their customer servive is amazingly horrible! My next espresso machine will not be a Krups I'm sorry to say.
---Update: The supervisor called on April 13th. He offered to replace my machine.... again. He said that this problem with the frother is somewhat isolated. I told him that I'd rather have my money back instead of a third machine in 5 months and starting this mess all over. He couldn't do that. So I shipped back machine #2 on the 14th and ironically the replacement O ring and little piece of threaded plastic arrived the same day. We'll see if this problem is as isolated as Krups claims it to be.
---Update again: I'm on machine #3 since November '09. This machine arrived with the threaded piece on the frothing attachment glued on as well. We'll see how this machine fares.
---Another update: June 23. Well, the frother blows off constantly and has broken. Krups has now offered to send me, after 3 machines and several frothers and countless calls to cust serv, an xp5280. We'll see how this works.
---THE LAST UPDATE! They sent me xp5220 instead of xp5280. The machine has the same frother and is a cheaper model. I took it to my local dept store and exchanged it for a De Longhi EC702. I love it! After 16 years I no longer am a Krups customer. I think it's really unfortunate that they have let their product and customer service go down the toilet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Steamer is dodgy, but espresso is great --- IF you make double shots., March 8, 2010

The auto-tamp filter basket is neat, although I've found that it really only works for double shots. To make a single shot of espresso properly, you need to reduce the filter area, so that less water is able to flow with the same amount of pressure. Since the same filter basket is used for single and double shots, single shots do not come out nicely. Since I always make double shots, I'm OK with this, but people that frequently make single shots should be aware of this defect.

Overall, I like the construction and appearance of the machine. It feels solid enough, the drip tray is easy to clean, water container is easy to remove and fill.

------

NOW, about the steamer.

The steamer is quite disappointing. It uses the same diameter tip as some of the older machines, like the 4030, but rather then just using a rubber friction grip, it uses a complex plastic doohickey with three tabs that grab onto the flared part of the plastic above the nozzle base. Unfortunately, it's very unclear how this works when you receive the machine, and the pictorial directions are also not clear, so I managed to snap off one of the tabs within minutes of unpacking the machine. I thought this was my bad, but reading the other reviews, I now see that they're very prone to breaking.

The wand still attaches part-way with two tabs, but then it sometimes blows off. Again, I thought this was my bad, but now I see that even with three tabs on the wand, it's still prone to blowing off. This is not bad, especially with piping hot steam and milk to contend with.

For those of you who have stuck with this machine, I'd recommend trying a steaming tip from a 4030. I ended up trying this because none of the parts shops I contacted even knew about the 5240! I was in one store, which had a 4030 on the floor, and I investigate the steaming tip, and found that the base of the nozzle is exactly the same size and shape, but instead of the complex mechanical attachment, it uses a simple rubber-on-rubber grip attachment. So, I purchased one for 8 dollars. It has never blown off the machine in the 3 weeks I've had it so far.

However, Krups really needs to address the faulty nature of this product. Perhaps those of us who have purchased the machine and have had issues should get together and contact Krups en masse, and demand that they address the problem. This is supposed to be the latest and greatest model in its class; and it could be, if not for this critical flaw.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Strikes and It's Out, February 22, 2010
I really wanted to like this machine. It replaced a Krups I had used daily for more than 6 years that finally ran out of steam ;-) So I ordered this model, and had to send it back because the steaming nozzle (frother) blew apart. I figured it was defective -- just bad luck -- and replaced it with the same model. This second one worked fine for 3 weeks, but now I'm having the same problem ( and now I see another recent reviewer had the same experience.) This seems to be a design/manufacturing defect. The black plastic piece on the frother that comes apart for cleaning just does not attach tightly enough. The pressure from the steam blows the locking mechanism open.

Too bad. The machine made a great capuccino, was easy to clean, the automatic tamper worked well, and I liked the way it easily ejected the used grounds. I've always been a big Krups fan, but was not prepared to give this model a third try.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Sad Disappointment !!, April 21, 2010
BJ (Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
I thought very carefully and compared various machines before deciding on this one. It's really hard to underestimate the main benefits of this machine:

1. The fact that it has a solenoid valve that results in a nice, dry puck after brewing that can be easily discarded by pushing the button at the bottom of the portafilter.

2. The autotamp system--just truly brilliant. It isn't after you have been measuring and tamping coffee for a while that you appreciate this.

3. The coffee itself--just absolutely superb ! Amazing tasting coffee. Perfect crema, hot.

4. Ergonomics--nice, small, compact machine. Much better value than many others. This machine compares to ones that cost $400-500.

5. Amazing frothing wand (when it works) --it actually creates awesome microfoam and it's very easy to clean. Also extremely quick warm-up time for the steam.

So, why isn't this machine getting 5 stars? I hate to sound like a broken record, but the fact is that there is a design flaw with the frothing wand--it will just 'pop' out on it's own without warning.

This will happen no matter how careful you are with it. If you just use it enough, it will break. That's the fatal flaw of this machine. Otherwise it's awesome.

BJ

4.0 out of 5 stars This Ones a Keeper, December 13, 2009
Update August 15, 2013 Good product but what is causing the huge price increase? We have to replace ours about every 12 months due to various problems with leakage this time around the frother. Last year at this time I paid $152 for this machine. Price increase is unjustified.

We tried a Breville before this Krups machine. We were looking to replace a 20 year old Krups steam driven machine which we also loved. This machine is worth the extra $100 we paid over what we would have spent for the Breville. We purchased from a local store. We paid more but liked the convenience of returning the unit if we did not like it. This Krups machine has some really nice features. It has this "auto tamping" feature that is really nice. The espresso holder is only one unit and you add more or less espresso depending on whether you want a single shot or a double. It has a ratchet system that tamps the grind down and an indicator on the unit determines whether you are compressing for a double or single shot. If you want a single shot you add less and tighten further to the right to match up with the indicator. It is very easy to get used to and eliminates the need for an extra "reducer" part to deal with single shots. The "creama" is there but not exactly thick and not something we care that much about. The unit is easy to clean. The only negative is they supply a rather gimicky measuring scoop and if you use the amount they recommend it comes out too weak and not consistent with the indicator marks on the unit. So we just add more espresso and use a spoon rather than the scoop. We also purchased a nice frothing container from William Sonoma for $15. to replace the container supplied with our old Krups machine. We like this frothing pitcher much better as it has ample supply so the froth does not keep overflowing. This also allows us to get the milk to a much higher temperature. We warm up the mugs in the microwave before we brew and this helps us get a piping hot latte. I have to admit this pump driven machine has some really nice features and the taste is better than the old Krups we had grown to love (no ashy taste whatsoever)... My husband and I both look forward to waking up and having our lattes from this machine every morning. Now if only this one would last another 20 years! Look for my follow-up reviews. One more thing. We also decided to use whole milk for our lattes since the amount of milk we add to get the taste we love is not very much. The extra enjoyment with whole milk is worth it to us!

3.0 out of 5 stars wanted to love it, March 26, 2010
We also had a Breville but took it back every year for a replacement- seems to be the norm these days- Breville is no longer making this model btw ($399 retail) So we got this Krups and I really like it for all the same reasons as other reviewers. HOWEVER - after 10 days the steaming arm would not stay attached properly and the pressure of the steam blows it off - which can be dangerous with hot steam coming at you. Very disappointed. WHERE IS A DECENT ESPRESSO MACHINE FOR UNDER $500????

Do not recommend this unit- many others having the same problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee, mmmmm :), March 27, 2011
I have used the following on a regular basis: a nespresso - (office semi-commercial unit), a Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black) and a DeLonghi EC270 15-Bar-Pump Espresso Machine, Black and Stainless.

I am blown away by this machine,its perfomance and its build-quality.

What I like:

My reason for buying this machine was to get my espresso shots just right... and it delivers. It can push through fine grind really well. Definitely better than the older Krups and Delonghi. Just remember to tighten all the way and then loosen one notch (only for very fine grind - does not matter for "starbucks grade fine grind"). The tamping system works as advertised - I was really not sure about this part.

Cleaning with the cake removal works MUCH better than the Krups 4030 (which is pathetic), and the delonghi.

Now the much hated (by others) steamer wand... It is the 'only' machine that I have operated that can make micro-foam - like your favorite coffee shop. Much more expensive machines have been a hit or miss. The nespresso steamer add on was like blowing bubbles through a straw!
The steamer is the quietest in business. It almost seams like it is not doing anything.

I have had one blow out with the Krups steamer wand, but that was the only time when I did not clean out the wand after use. So the nozzle tip was partially-blocked with milk. After steaming milk, I usually blow some steam out with some water under the tip, wipe with some paper napkin and it cleans well. I do not take the nozzle to clean... it can be easily cleaned on the unit with steam and water.
The nozzle of 4030 will also blow out, if you don't clean it after use (personal experience :P).

The Krups machines are built like a tank. I have gone at one with a hammer to try and take it apart!

What I don't like:

I am worried about the auto tamping system. It reminds me of old cars with power windows that break all the time. I prefer manual for most things :)

I am not a fan of the steam wand locking system. The three tiny latches and the locking ring have been sturdy so far, but I am not gonna take it apart a lot of times.

The water tank is only big enough for about 5 double shots and steamed milk for those shots...

The waste tray design is a marked improvement from the previous generation, but it is also smaller, so needs emptying more often.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Shot, Bad Froth, June 13, 2010
You want to make just expresso, well this does a great creme for under $300 but the froth wand, well I have broken two, and Krups replaced the machine ( the steam was shooting up in the air not down in the milk burnt my hand). Now second machine the steam wand broke a clip, called customer service they told me that users "break" the steam wand (thanks for blaming the customer for a bad design) 2 weeks later another replacement steam wand. The claws loosen and the entire wand blows into the milk exploding milk everywhere! not good before a round of golf. I have to hold the wand with a rubber glove now to froth milk. Worth spending double to get a better machine with a metal steam wand.
If you don't care for milk then this will work great, for the rest of us....buy a Saeco! The one star is for the rest of the machine. If I was rating for the Krups customer service, I would be rating it negative stars if it was possible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frothing wand broke twice, March 2, 2010
I was very excited when I purchased this machine since I had a Krups espresso machine before that lasted for 3.5 years. This machine started out great however the top of the frothing wand is made very poorly. When cleaning the machine you need to remove the frothing wand..the problem is that there are 3 plastic prawns on the top that are very, very delicate. The first time I removed it (twist then pull gently) one of the three prawns broke off. Krups was very good about replacing it without cost. Unfortunately, the second time it broke off again. When I called Krups they refuse to replace the item unless I paid for it and then went on to say they would not cover any other parts. I only had the machine for approximately 7 weeks. I have since returned it and because of the bad customer service from Krups I will no longer buy their products...I just don't trust them anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars first timer, April 25, 2011
This is my first espresso machine and I chose it because I've had many Krups coffee makers in the past. I read that tamping is one of the most important steps in making an espresso and also the most difficult step to get right. This machine takes that step out because the machine tamps the coffee. Great for those of us who make our coffee with only one eye open in the morning! It's easy, I'm happy and I'll definitely buy krups again.