5,042
Package Quantity: 1Size: By ItselfChange
Price:$19.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,769 of 1,807 people found the following review helpful
on January 9, 2005
I have had my grinder for 12 years now. It works the same today as it did new, and I use it about 10 times a week. For the money, it can't be beat. That said, this grinder is not for everybody.

This grinder is perfect for anybody with a coffee maker that uses #4 paper CONE filters (or slightly bigger or smaller). I emphasize PAPER because a permanent filter is not good for this grinder. Like any blade grinder, it will produce some dust. That creeps through the permafilter and into your pot is makes sludge. It sloppies up your coffee. Nothing gets through paper filters though.

It also grinds coffee fine. You really don't have a choice. It is ok for espresso as well if you are not a connoisseur. If you try a coarse grind with this unit, you will be out of luck. If you don't grind long enough, you will leave a few beans whole or in large pieces.

If you need anything other than a fine grind and don't mind using paper filters (I prefer them), then look no further.

I deducted a star because it has limitations, but the truth is, for probably 80% of the coffee drinkers out there, this grinder is all you need.
5454 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2000
This is an excellent grinder for home use and the one that I use on a daily basis. It is relatively quiet (so I can grind my beans in the morning without waking the kids) and large enough to process 8 or so cups (a full pot) of coffee. The only downside is that you have to practice the knack of when to stop grinding due to the lack of coarse control, but it makes up for it with ease of use. In my mind the quietness, ease of use and ease of cleaning (the black model is easier to clean than white) make this a must-have for coffee lovers.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,013 of 1,095 people found the following review helpful
on May 22, 2001
There are two things I take very seriously in this life: one is books, the other is coffee (not surprisingly, the often go together). While the bulk of my reviews are children's books, I felt it necessary to go against type and review this coffee grinder. Most coffee experts as well as everyday, casual drinkers agree that the best tasting coffee is brewed with freshly ground beans. Once beans are ground, they begin to oxidize, much like an opened bottle of wine. Old preground coffee has a tendency to taste bitter, and with the proliferation of inexpensive grinders, more and more people are buying whole bean coffee to grind right before they brew. Of course, finding the RIGHT grinder for the price is the tough part. Grinders exist in every form and size and expense bracket. Quite a lot of round, domed grinders I've used have unsharpened blades on a mount that is too high to really grind beans fine enough for specialty coffee like espresso or Turkish. The Krups has a few advantages over other grinders, namely these: ** The blades are sharp and mounted low in the housing. Maybe other manufactures are saving a few pennies by putting flat tongues of metal in their grinders, but they don't have the edge to pulverize beans like the Krups can. ** The machine has a higher RPM than other machines. This makes it easier to reduce grind times and with additional speed, can reduce whole beans to powder in less than a minute (I've had a Black n' Decker that couldn't grind beans for Turkish coffee if you held the button for half an hour). ** the housing is oval and the lid is flat. I'm not an engineer or physicist, but I think the flat lid and oval shape allow the beans to fall back towards the blades for further grinding (again, my Black n' Decker allowed the beans to spin around the lid in a whirlpool pattern that was pretty to look at, but pointless for actually reducing the grounds to the small particles I wanted). ** it has a large capacity. Do you like strong coffee?? Use more grounds, then!! The box says that you can grind up to 20 cups of java at a time. I don't know about the sorts of demitasses they must be using to gauge the volume of a "cup", but I do know that this machine can grind up enough beans for a number of very stiff MUGS of coffee. In the disadvantages column, the only one I could site is that the housing cup is slanted down, I'm assuming for decorative purposes. Hence, I'm forever spilling beans out of the lower side. My new secret is to measure the beans out in the LID, first, then turn the whole thing upside down and put the housing into the lid. Since I only use it to grind coffee (and while I drink my fair share, I don't have the thing running nonstop day and night), I can't speak with any aplomb about how sturdy a machine is or how long it lasts. I once dropped one after a year and broke it, but it seemed nowhere near quitting, so I can't vouch for how long it would work under normal, non-butterfingered conditions. My assumption is that anything with such a high RPM rate isn't intended to be kept running for long periods of time-- creates too much heat and friction-- so if you plan to grind coffee night and day, it's probably best that you spend the money on a professional model intended for cafes. All in all, a fine piece of workmanship and definitely worth the extra few dollars over many of the other, cheaper, more poorly-designed grinders on the market today.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I (OK, we -- my wife loves coffee even more than I) have been using this grinder for more than 7 years now. At least a pot a day, year in and year out. No problems with blowing up, or any of the other problems mentioned. If you're unfortunate enough to get one that doesn't do what the vast majority of reviewers have said it will - grind beans for years and years - I hope you'll assume you got a (rare, it seems) bad copy, and try another one before giving up.
As for the coffee, this little [U.S. currency with Andrew Jackson's portrait] gadget grinds from coarse to espresso, and all you have to do is a "one-mississippi, two-mississippi" until you get it down which mississippi gives you the coffee you want. Yes, blades will heat up the beans, but keeping the beans in the freezer mitigates that, and that's where you really oughta keep 'em anyway, for freshness' sake. As for coffee dust on the sides, I only get that anymore when I come home with a brand new can of Sumatra Lintong from Trader Joe's, and just won't wait for the beans to cool down! Otherwise, cold beans = no caked-on dust. As for getting grounds all over the counter, here's a little trick: when you're done grinding, turn it over (lid still on, please!) and give the whole thing a tap or two on the countertop. Bingo - lid now full of grounds, ready to carry to your coffee maker. (Speaking of... based in no small part on reviews here, we're getting a Braun KF187, and I can't wait to see if it really makes coffee as well as everyone raves. But I digress...)
We also bought a second one of these for spices, and recently even used it to bail us out of a no-confectioner's-sugar bind. Threw in some raw turbinado sugar, crossed fingers, gave it a whirl, and pressed on, MacGyver style...
To sum up, it's been a great little tool that has cost us less than a penny a day if you amortize the cost over 7+ years. I'll take it, and if it "blows up" tomorrow, I'll go buy another one in a heartbeat.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2001
...this guy is. It grinds coffee. What more is there to possibly say about it? It does what it's supposed to do, uniformly, and well. The end result is consistent, providing I count off a consistent time (the same could not be said for the previous beast that dwelled in my kitchen). It's a good grinder---I use it fairly heavily: grinding about a half-pound every six or eight days (what can I say? I'm a student. Caffeine is my lifeblood.). I have had my unit for over a year, and it has neither developed irritating quirks nor broken and needed replacing: the blades have also remained sharp.
The single word of advice that I would attach to this would be that you might wish a good, fairly long-handled and firm-bristled brush to clean it with: the shape of the lid and of the unit's base is such that grounds seem to adhere to the crevices. This is nothing that a washing of the lid can't address, but dunking the base in the sink has always seemed, well...inadvisable? It's a dependable machine: worth the money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2009
I've been using my Krups Model 203 (which has since become available in white) for years, and just bought a new one. My prior one lasted roughly 7 years (guess) of fairly regular use. In my case, I mostly used it for grinding my own spices, rather than for coffee.

COFFEE (4 stars): As indicated in magazines like Cooks Illustrated, this unit does a very adequate job of ginding coffee beans - provided you master the skill of replicating the optimal degree of grind for different uses (i.e., automatic drip, espresso, percolator, stove-brewed turkish style, etc.). However, any serious coffee aficianado will quickly agree that a proper "burr grinder" yeilds better (more evenly ground) results than a buzz grinder like this one. Still, for what it is, and for its price, it's still one of the best 'buzz' grinders available.

SPICES (5 stars): After blending and toasting my own whole spices (for things like fresh homemade garam masala, sambar masala, etc.), I let them cool and then grind them with my trusty krups, which, in 2 passes, can grind enough to fill a standard spice bottle. The only spice the krups (and all comparable models) has trouble with are whole cloves, which tend to be very resiny, and clog the machine.

OTHER (5 stars): Although not really designed for it, the krups can do an adequate job of: grinding dried rice and/or dried lentils into a very very fine grit (almost but not quite a true flour). It can also grind granulated sugar into confectioner's 10x sugar.

Bottom line: It's strong, compact, powerful, durable, simple to use, fairly easy to clean, and inexpensive ... what more could you ask for ?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2011
This makes an excellent spice grinder and that's nothing to sneeze at. I was so surprised when I got my new Krups spice grinder out of the box because it was raring to go. All I had to do was plug it in and pour in my spices, there was absolutely nothing to configure or assemble.

What really attracted me to the Krups F203 spice grinder was it's power. It is so quick and fast and pulverizes everything that comes in to contact with it.

I have used the Krups F203 spice grinder for sea salt, black peppercorns and dried herbs, such as bay leaves and summer savory. And, I have also even used this to grind rice for making rice powder for Thai dishes. Everything is ground to an absolutely fine powdery consistency. As a huge spice user I can attest to the fact that the Krups spice grinder offers an even better grind than most store-bought spices. I have also used this to coarsely grind peppercorns, which was both easy and very helpful for me because I have a number of recipes that call for coarse ground pepper.

Cleaning the interior of the base unit is very simple. I just take a damp sponge or a Mr. Clean towelette and clean out any of the residual spices left in the unit. In between each grind, so that the flavors do not transfer, I grind some rice. And the top piece can be cleaned with hot soapy water, or just throw it in the top rack of your dishwasher.

The unit is made in China and Krups offers a full 1-year warranty.

Another thing I like about this is it's sleek and stylish design. It is very small and compact and in fashionable black, will most assuredly match just about any kitchen.

The top of the unit is both slanted and oval which makes for quick and clean pouring of your spices.

If I could change anything about the Krups F203 spice grinder it would be it's cord. It's just a touch too short. I would also like a storage compartment for the cord, like most people I don't keep mine out on the counter and when it's stowed away I just wrap the cord around the unit. But at this price I can hardly complain because I've seen other spice grinders go for a lot more and were no where near as useful or as practical as this one.

Remember it's easy to spice up your life.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2013
We wanted to use this as a spice grinder. There are a few problems with the design. 1. The motor seems to be a lower power than the older Braun coffee grinder we had. 2. The spices move around in a circle in the oval bowl of the grinder and the coarse or unground spices stay in the area outside the circle. The motor is not powerful enough to move the entire quantity that's put in there. The only way to get this to work and move all the spices around is to pulse it continuously, or keep tapping and tilting it. 4. The lid goes so deep in to the bowl that its hard to open and makes is tough move the mix around between grinds; once you open the lid, the grounds get stuck between the lid the bowl and then its hard to close.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2006
Update:

I like this machine so much - it makes short work of beans or grinding spices. The only problem is, unless you're willing to super-clean the chamber, you don't want to be grinding coffee AND spices in the same machine.

So, since I cook a lot and like to start from scratch when possible, I just bought myself a second grinder. One will be exclusively for coffee, and the other will be for spices. Here's the spice grinder part of the review:

- When freshly ground pepper is called for, look no further. Saves wear on your peppermill especially if you need a tablespoon or similar quantity.
- Ground cumin is WAY better in salsas and guacamole, even more so than grinding your own coffee vs pre-ground coffee.
- Larger grinders throw spice powders all over the place and there's more surface to clean. This one, just wash the top and use a damp cloth for the metal chamber on the bottom.
- The speed and sharp blades, and possibly the smaller volume of air inside the chamber all contribute to fresher smelling spices. Larger machines distribute the aroma and air-rinse a lot of it off, I think. The "masala" coming out of the grinder has a much fresher smell than anything I've made in a grinder/chopper or Vita-mix grinder
- To fill or empty, be sure to start upside-down. When emptying, gentle taps will clear the spice off the blades
- Avoid the temptation to try parmesan blocks or bread in this. This machine was not designed for moistness at any level.
- Other ideas: Mustard powder, white peppercorn powder (great in soups), coriander-cumin mix (aromatic in many Indian dishes), nut meals (please roast dry first), fennel seed powder (a friend suggested a heavy pinch of this for an excellent pizza sauce)... the list goes on.

---------Original review ---------
After all my coffee machine researching (they go into the tens of thousands of $$) I ended up with a $15 Mr Coffee from a clearance sale. Then I got this grinder to go with the machine and started buying coffee in bean form. The results were amazing. Once you go fresh ground, you don't go back. Now about the grinder:

- I remain surprised how fast it turns beans into ground coffee
- For finer ground coffee, simply keep it on a few seconds longer
- The chamber size, blade, and RPM take down those beans near-instantly
- No clumps of ground coffee remain in niches, a big plus
- After grinding, flip the machine over and use the lid as the holder from which you scoop the ground coffee out
- Keep a brush around to dust out the stray grinds and keep it clean
- I tried using a grinder attachment on my blender for a while, but nothing beats this in versatility

Keep your beans in an opaque ceramic container at room temperature and buy only a week's (tops two weeks) supply, use this grinder and any old coffee machine, and get excellent coffee every morning.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 7, 2012
this being my first coffee grinder I've ever bought I'm impressed with the way it grinds coffee beans it does it very well. if you grind the beans very fine some of the coffee will stick to the sides but no big deal to me, wished it would have came with a scrapper or brush to clean the sides but again no big deal. I'm happy with the way it works, looking forward to see how it works grinding up spices. I think it was worth the money and I would buy this grinder again.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations