4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Your Average Joe
First, let me say that I am NOT a coffee connoisseur (heresy, I know). Just a guy with a drip machine and a need for much morning brew. I wanted to grind my own because I hate the flavored coffee taste that I always seem to get from the grocery store grinder. I'm also busy and lazy.

I really like this grinder; and I like it for the same reasons that the guy...
Published on January 1, 2005 by CD Junkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Krups burr grinder
Published on February 10, 2005 by Blackbird

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Your Average Joe, January 1, 2005
CD Junkie (Dayton, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KRUPS GVX1-14 Coffee Grinder with Grid Size and Cup Selection and Stainless Steel Conical Burr, Black (Kitchen)

I really like this grinder; and I like it for the same reasons that the guy from Hawaii hated it. I want to spend my morning drinking coffee, not preparing it (one cup at a time? - yeah, right). Pour the beans in (no more measuring), push the button, and before you can fill the maker with water, you have just the right amount of grind ready to go. Yes, there's a little sticking to the plastic container, but I've never had it cause any mess - just tap it on the sink before you remove the lid then pour it into the filter. Grind size and quantity takes a couple of attempts to figure out exactly what you like, but seems pretty consistent once set. Only gave it 4 stars because there are features on the more expensive units that would be nice - a BIG, sealed, hopper that would hold several days worth of beans; and glass grind containers that would completely eliminate the static issue. However, for my use, and for the price, this thing works great. Hope it holds up over time.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, bad AND GOOD, May 7, 2005
I've been the owner of this grinder since February 20, 2005. In that time span, I would guess that the beans have gotten "stuck" (whereby the burrs spin freely without doing anything) maybe 5 times TOTAL. I make coffee about 3 or 4 times a week. So that's somewhere between 30 and 45 operations, and it's goofed up 5 of those times. NOT ONCE have I had to disassemble anything. You just hit the grind button again to stop it, jostle it GENTLY back and forth, and hit the grind button again. Of course, you lose the timed grind that is supposed to happen, but I view it as a VERY MINOR inconvenience to have to stand there and manually turn it off when it's done grinding.

As for the complaints of size, I think we've pretty much come to a consensus among the reviewers that it's NOT freakishly huge, or whatever that one reviewer said. It's modestly sized, and certainly less blockish and imposing than, say, the Rancilio Rocky, for which you'll pay 5-10 times as much.

The noise is not an issue for me, because it's no noisier than the old blade grinder I had. You've got to look at these kinds of issues like you would evaluate a car. Yes, a Rolls Royce is going to have less road noise than a subcompact Toyota, but the Toyota isn't going to set you back $50,000, and it's going to use less gas, AND it's going to get you there in just as much time. So there might be some noise (particularly when the beans get lodged funny), but it's no worse than the KitchenAid blade grinder that will wake up not only your partner, but also your dog and the local fire department.

Lastly, the grind itself. I will agree with the complaints that have been lodged previously. First, the grind is generally too fine for the setting. I haven't tried french press yet, but I get the suspicion that it'll be too fine even on the coarsest setting. Additionally, there's a little bit of overground powder that comes through with every grind. This shows up as a very thin layer of sludge at the bottom of a brewed pot. And finally, the cup dial does not accurately reflect everything I've learned and been taught about how much bean goes into one cup of coffee. It does grind too long for the cup setting. But you learn this quickly, and it's a pretty easy fix. If you're making 4 cups, set the dial to JUST above 3 cups. Voila. And if you're making fewer than 3 cups of coffee, you should find a roommate. There's no good way to make coffee in that small an amount.

My final thought on this grinder is that people who give it one star are being way too hard on it. I'd honestly give it 3 and a half, but I'll go with 4 just to boost its self-esteem a bit. You're paying $50 people. It's not a Rancilio. It's not a Mazzer, it's not an Isomac, it's not even a Starbucks Barista. But it's pretty good, and affordably priced, and it's a hell of a lot better than a blade grinder.

For those of you who might WANT to spend $350-500 on a burr grinder, but know you reasonably SHOULDN'T, this is the grinder for you. Just learn to live with its quirks, and you have a fantastic bargain on your countertop.

**UPDATE**
French press works great. My favorite use for this setting: I grind up a baggie-full before I go camping, and with my Lexan French press, I get a spectacular cup of coffee, which makes my fellow campers extremely jealous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too big at all, great features, November 1, 2004
When I read in these reviews that this grinder was fairly large, I hesitated, but went ahead and ordered anyway. Well, the package arrived today 11-01, (ordered on 10-26) and the grinder is fantastic. It is actually a bit shorter than my old Braun KMM30, but a bit wider. The design is clean and uncluttered. The Braun has a mechanical timer that needs to be reset each time it is used. The Krups has selectors for quality of grind (very wide range from fine to very course) and quantity of grind. Then there is a backlit power stop/start switch. Cobalt blue. So once you get the quality/quantity down for your taste, you leave it and just hit the power button.

Grind seems to be uniform, better than the Braun. Much better.

Quieter and faster than the Braun, too.

A great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Krups burr grinder, February 10, 2005
I've been using the Krups GVX1 burr grinder for about 3 weeks and have twice had it jam, apparently lacking the torque necessary to grind the toughest beans. In both cases, the grinder was set on the finest grind setting and the grinder turned itself off. To get it working again, I moved the fineness selector lever to the coarsest setting and manually twisted the knob inside the grinder, and pressed the start button. So far, this has allowed me to keep grinding, but one wonders how many times the unit can do this and keep on working. Also, it would have been nice for Krups to have provided instructions on dealing with this possibility in its user's guide under Trouble Shooting Guide; it didn't.

As for performance while working properly: flawless. Does a great job of providing satisfactory amounts of very finely-ground coffee, perfect for espresso/lattes.

I think that the unit is quite attractively designed and modest in size - certainly not large as some have complained. The other nice characteristic is the amount of noise that it makes while grinding: very little, not enough to wake those sleeping in other parts of the house.

Overall, a good little grinder for the money, although I am a bit disappointed with the frequency of jams, as well as the lack of guidance as to what to do should a jam occur. I hope that the grinder will last awile, too, but wonder whether the jams may reduce its useful life.

I've now had this unit for 2 1/2 years, and while it still works, I have been very unimpressed - it jams constantly and is not a serious piece of equipment. I have come to the same conclusion as the many others: one star, more of a toy than a tool. I recommend that you avoid this item if you take your coffee, and its preparation, seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 10 % Rule, October 29, 2006
I have had this machine just short of two years now. I find it an awesome machine for the money. Yes I agree that once in a while the beans catch and it needs a bump. The static problem has long been gone in mine. But, as far as the grind size range, it works great in mine, large enough for the French press and fine enough for the Espresso maker. If yours doesn't it is more than likely operator error. Put it together correctly, keep it clean and watch it work, all easy task if you pay attention. We grind over three pounds a week in my house, in all grind sizes. I would be hard pressed to get another model other than this one.

Why four stars you ask, because it doesn't fill itself and make my coffee for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Same size as other burr grinders, but too much coffee??, September 27, 2004
We just purchased one of these to in order to grind a better bean for our new espresso machine - the old blade grinder just wasn't going to cut it anymore.

In short, it works very well. It is much quieter than our old Krups blade grinder. We purchased ours in a regular store, and so compared it first-hand to several other burr grinder models available including ones by Capresso, Cuisinart, and Kitchenaid - they're all about the same size, with the Kitchenaid (at $199 - a beast!) being much larger and the Capresso's being slighly larger.

The grind size seems to be pretty consistent - a cheap bag of beans ground solely to test the machine's settings produced apparently uniform grains on all the settings. It has stopped pulling beans on us once, and we had to tap the machine to get it going again, not a big deal, but it did happen as another reviewer said.

What we can't figure out is who in the world uses this many grounds/cup of coffee. I understand that one must use an appropriate amount of grounds per cup, but this thing produces an absurd amount of coffee per cup. Normally I use about 2 tablespoons of coffee per cup, as is usually recommended. This grinder is producing closer to 3-4 tablespoons/cup. The selctor goes from 2 to 12 cups. A setting of "10 cups" overflowed the grind catcher and produced more grinds than our 12-cup coffee maker could possibly handle, and was almost enough grounds for TWO 10-cup batches.

I'm not sure if this is normal, or if we have a bad machine - so for that reason it might be exchanged for a different one, but we would exchange it for the same model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Espresso Every Time, May 25, 2005
I was so impressed with this quiet little grinder that I bought a second one. I use one for caffeinated and the other for decaf coffee, so I don't have to mess with left-over beans. I use it exclusively for espresso with a good-quality espresso maker. In the finest setting, the grind is perfect every time, evenly fine with never a hint of wasteful coarse grounds. The espresso comes out consistently frothy with "crema" but without powdery grounds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Krups GVX1 Burr Grinder, August 10, 2005
The grinder grinds OK, but I have had a problem with the on/off button. It doesn't work all the time right away (about 20% of the time). A few times I put the drawer back in and it started to grind by itself. I think the problem has to do with cutoff switch actuated by the drawer. However, just just taking out the drawer and re-inserting it doesn't always get the on/off to work. At some, it just decides to start working again.

On the plus side, it is compact, the settings are easy to follow, and the design is attractive. All that doesn't help when it won't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, low-priced Burr Grinder, October 2, 2006
So far (about two weeks) I like this grinder better than what I came from-a blade grinder. It provides a much more consistent result than a blade grinder. The size is of the machine good not too bulky, the quality of the machine is typical of something in this price point, plastic, fairly light-weight etc. Otherwise, the fit and finish should be just fine for the everyday user. Not sure it will actually hold up for the user with 'long-term' expectations though.

My complaints:

My biggest concern is the fact the burrs heat up the beans while grinding considerably, which can change the characteristics of the coffee before you brew it. Maybe not a big deal for some, but right now we are drinking $25 a pound Kona, where you tend to consider those details.

Another concern is the plastic, which does create a little static, where the grinds tend to stick to it. Nothing a tap or two doesn't loosen-up, but I can see how it might be considered annoying.

The motor gets hot to the point you can sometimes feel it through the back of the plastic housing. Probably shortens life, and again, heats the beans/ground product.

I find the finest setting grinds the coffee literally to a powdery consistency, I mean really powdery. To the point where it was so light & puffy it literally blew all over my shirt very easily when I was cleaning out the machine. I know Espresso is supposed to be ground fine, and quite honestly I am not experienced enough to know for sure, but I think the consistency I am getting might be too fine for alot of machines. Would be good for baking though.

You have to make sure you follow the directions when putting the top burr back into the lock position correctly after cleaning hopper. Machine has to be set to fine. Otherwise you won't get the adjustability from course to fine.

Coffee flows through grinder better the more you fill the hopper-probably the additional weight. My suggestion here would be just keep it full all the time, and if you don't need it all, grind up what you need and leave the hopper full.

Overall, at this price point this is a good machine for someone looking to move from Blade to Burr, although it has it's pecadillos. You will in fact get better results than blade, more consistent sized grind, which is supposed to produce a better brew. Personally I can't tell the difference in flavor, which makes me happy I didn't buy a grinder that costs hundreds of $$.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, August 14, 2008
Please allow me to preface this review by saying I do not make lattes, cappicinos, or expressos at home. I only make regular coffee from coffee beans. When I want the fancy stuff, I go to the local coffee shop.

This is a great little grinder. Its the second grinder I've purchased, but this one is by far much better. My old one made a mess and I constantly had to shake it all around for it to work. It was a nightmare and made morning coffee not at all worth it.

This grinder is great! It allows you to select the fineness of the grounds, which is nice. BUT, the best part is that you can pour in the beans and set the grinder to the number of cups you are making, turn the grinder on, and walk away. It automatically shuts off when the right number of cups has been ground. Then, when I lift the little container with the grounds out to pour them in the coffee maker filter, there is no mess! That's right, no mess. And, its not as loud as the old one. Its still noisy of course, but not too bad.

I love my new little grinder. It serves our purposes of regular drip coffee very well.

Rate and Discover Movies