5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing device!
I needed an internal capture device to record video from my retro consoles, and was a bit skeptical about this thing at first... however, it works amazingly!
Fully compatible with Windows 8, and the audio and video quality is amazing!

Published 18 months ago by Vanilla

I purchased this capture card to handle Twitch streaming for older standard-definition consoles; it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a capture card that can handle the not-strictly-spec 240P video mode that the NES, SNES, and Genesis use.

Published 8 months ago by Firehawke

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing device!, July 24, 2013
This review is from: KWorld KW-PC134-A PCI Analog TV Card II (Personal Computers)
Fully compatible with Windows 8, and the audio and video quality is amazing!

I definitely reccomend this to anyone looking to record video from their old consoles, or even if they just want to play them on their monitor.
What you have here is a device that works on pretty much all versions of Windows, Windows 8 included.

And not only that, the seller had this at my door way, way, waaaaay sooner than it was supposed to be. Fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars It works for streaming, but you're going to need some Excedrin., May 19, 2014

My experiences with the card so far have been promising but very frustrating. Will this card work for livestreaming? Yes, but you're going to have to put some significant work in to get around some very nasty pitfalls.

----- Crossbar woes!

First and foremost, the card appears to do some very weird things with the media input crossbar. Most display tools, including the current version of Open Broadcaster [...] will exhibit weird behaviors when trying to set up the crossbar to actually select composite input. The typical result is that you'll set it to composite, see the video, click OK to go back to the main program.. and it's right back on the TV Tuner mode instantly.

I wasn't able to do a direct capture of the included TV viewing application using OBS, either. As soon as OBS starts preview or capture, the TV app stops updating the display entirely.

Oh, and any time the card decides it doesn't like something, you'll have to reboot to get the video capture functionality back. This is less of a problem once you actually get things stabilized, but until you do it's a major pain.

Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder does work decently with the card, but as Twitch.tv seems to have recently dropped support for the application, that's not going to help much.

What I had to do to get the card working effectively was to install the final beta version of DScaler, and have OBS do a screen capture off of DScaler's display. I'm not entirely thrilled with the workaround, but it does work.

----- So, let's talk about quality.

The card captures at 30FPS, but it doesn't exhibit the "even or odd dropped frame" issue you'll see with most cards at 30FPS. It appears the card does frame blending, in fact. While the output isn't as good as a true-60FPS capture, you won't have issues with the flickering spread shots on Contra being invisible.

In the end, I can't really complain about the quality, so I won't take any points away for the 30 FPS capture. I do, however, have to take points away for the crossbar issues. What I'm trying to do with the card is neither complex nor difficult to set up with most cards, and the issues I've experienced are clearly wonky hardware and/or drivers. I don't expect the drivers will get fixed, though.

----- Should you buy this card for livestreaming on Twitch?

Maybe. It really depends pretty heavily on your pain tolerance levels-- getting the initial setup working right took far longer than I wanted and took a lot more effort than it should have, but there aren't many good solutions for streaming anything pre-2006.

I won't be sending mine back, but I'm probably going to end up keeping an eye out for a better solution in the meantime.