5.0 out of 5 stars I would buy it again....
Researched everything I could find (including the reviews here on Amazon.) It seemed the most consistent complaints were about the over-flowing water pan and the noise. Kinda like a baby: it pees and it howls. So I knew what I was in for.

Published on June 2, 2012 by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, BUT ???
Published on August 8, 2011 by Buckeye JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars I would buy it again...., June 2, 2012
This review is from: Soleus Air KY-80 Portable Air Conditioner/Dehumidifier/Fan/ with Remote Control (Misc.)

On the water: I'm not gonna criticize the machine for working so effectively on dehumidifying that it overflows quickly (although the manual does mention once that it has a "small" back-up tank to handle the water that isn't evaporated out the exhaust hose.) My solution was this: first, I placed an old metal t.v. tray with a lip all the way around it (to catch minor leaks at the base, though there haven't been any), on top of a simple step-stool (with a broad base.) The unit sits on the t.v. tray. That elevates the base 12 inches off the ground. This gives enough height to simply plop the drain-hose into the top of a one-gallon jug (I'm using an Arizona green tea jug 'cause it's a thicker plastic and unlikely to deteriorate. Bad for landfills, great for my application.)

Almost good enough, but it easily fills two gallons a day (if I run it constantly), here in Alabama. It only took one overflow when I forgot to check it, & I picked up a 4-gallon clear plastic 16" X 11" X 7"-high Sterilite pan for three bucks. With the gallon jug placed inside the pan (since that's easier to empty when I remember it), I have a couple days of 24-hour running without emptying, before an overflow makes it to my carpet. And I placed a regular school-type ruler between the t.v. tray & the step-stool to provide just enough backward tilt to ensure that the water would flow properly to the rear. Not too much: those wheels roll really well. In my placement, the exhaust hose (nearly at its shortest) stabilizes the unit.

Now, I know all this bucket-and-pan stuff ain't purty. But geez, there's this big ol' humongous exhaust hose right above it, so what's a little bucket or two? And it's clear plastic: if it really bothers me I can put some decals on it, right?

BTW, the hose drains MUCH better when you remember to remove the plug.

For the noise: yup, kinda noisy. But I sit about three feet in front of it while I do online videoconference-tutoring, and I usually can get away with using the speaker on my phone, except for my quieter students. And they don't seem to hear the noise. And it's no louder than my window unit. "Quiet" and "Noisy" are subjective in practice, so that's the most I can say.

About the exhaust hose: First, I really don't see how people can easily move the unit around, because if you're not careful, the hose can pop out of its window connector. That might have happened to me, though, because I was torquing it at awkward angles to try to fit it into my space. The hose is very stiff (a.k.a. seems well made.) Fortunately, nothing broke. I'm a cheapskate and read that the longer the hose, the more electricity portables will use, so I do wish I had a SHORTER hose. And although I'm sure there's more efficient wraps out there, I used what I had on hand, bubble wrap, to thoroughly wrap the hose (since air is a great insulator). It does put out quite a bit of heat along its entire length, so wrapping it well sends all the heat to the outdoors where you want it. I also placed a chunk of rubber insulation between the bottom of the duct where it attaches to the window panel, and my window sill. The exhaust hose puts out so much heat I wasn't sure what it would do over time to the cheap faux-wood on my mobilehome's window sill.

About the window-connector: pretty easy to connect. I only needed the main panel and one extender, which I simply scored at one end to break off the piece necessary to make it fit. (It took awhile to score it deeply enough, but I had a nice phone chat with my sister while I did it. Was too lazy to go fire up my saw.) The base happens to fit snugly down into my window track. I used an insulating wrap for a 1/2" pipe, cut open lengthwise, and fitted it over the top of the panel. This keeps out the water, wind and bugs (since my window doesn't close squarely across the panel, and I wouldn't trust it would be waterproof even if it closed evenly.) It also will still allow me to open the window, not needing to silicon nor tape the junction. The plastic of the window-connectors isn't as thick as a wall, but it's better-made than the cheap accordion gap-fillers I've seen for window air conditioners.

Remote control: works fine, though of course the batteries that come with it didn't work. Neither did the two- to three-year-old batteries I tried first. Fortunately I had a newer pack on hand, and those worked. Don't lose the remote: it provides a couple functions that aren't on top of the unit, such as varying fan speeds.

Modes: 3 basic ones: fan only, dehumidifier only, and "cool" - i.e. the air conditioner. If you put it on Auto, it depends on the temperature: below 68 degrees it's fan only. 68-73 degrees, it's fan only IF you'd previously had it on fan only, otherwise it dehumidifies. The dehumidify mode also puts out surprisingly cool air, and makes it much less muggy inside (deep South, remember). 74-79 degrees, it dehumidifies regardless of prior settings. And above that, it goes to air conditioning (which of course also removes water from the air.)

So I can see how people would complain about the fan never shutting off. For THAT, you need to use the timer. You can set the timer to turn the unit on, or to turn it off.

And for the four-million-dollar question: does it work? My workroom is about 13' by 25', and is completely open to the similarly-sized kitchen AND my even bigger living room. I have a powerful computer that puts out a lot of heat and needs to stay cool, and I get hot flashes, myself (I know, TMI.) But I'd only been using a window air conditioner, which by itself helped but wasn't enough on the really hot, humid days here. It still got to 90-95 degrees inside if it went over 100 outside. I need my computer not to fry. So now, my computer and work table are right in front of both air conditioners, and together, they provide excellent cooling both for my computer (I have software that monitors the quad-core temps)and me. I don't use my ceiling fans, so when I stand (I'm 5'7") I can feel the warmer air just above my head. And it's warmer the farther away you get from the sweet spot. But when you walk inside from the 98-degree sunshine, that huge space is noticeably cooler - about 85 degrees when farthest from the coolers. That's certainly livable. And sitting at my work table, with them blowing right on me and providing cool air for my computer...I'm in heaven.

UPDATE: 6/12/2012 Still happy with it, though I've discovered that true Alabama humidity (which hadn't yet set in when I wrote the first review) yields about a gallon of water from the hose every 4-5 hours. Have been grateful MANY times for the 4-gallon overflow container mentioned above. Much of the time only need to put the unit on dehumidify, as the air still is so cool from it that it's helpful simply to have all that sweat-inducing water removed from the air. Remote control seems to go through batteries rather quickly, but then, my pack of "new" batteries is nearly two years old.

UPDATE 7/18/12 Okay, I've been using it 12-16 hours or more daily, now. Hasn't failed yet. On truly humid days it pulls out a gallon of water every 3-4 hours. I really like the ease of adjusting the louvers: one set to direct up/down, the second for left-right. Lets me easily choose whether to cool my monitor or me. Still often just run the dehumidifier, but turn on the cooler when it really starts to heat up. I'll try to remember to put one more update in at the end of summer. Toodles, all, and thanks for the nice comments! And no, I don't work for the company! :))

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, BUT ???, August 8, 2011
I purchased 2 of these a couple weeks ago. They were shipped very quickly. They were easy to set up. The units are small but nicely built. They cool very well and are very quite. The remotes are great and the features are better than larger units. My only complaint is the evaporation system really can't handle humid conditions very well. I started it up and within 2 hours the bucket full system went off and I had to empty the unit. After it did it again in the same amount of time,I ended up elevating the unit and puting a bucket behind it so I don't have to empty it as often. This is the only drawback from a fine little unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!!!!, August 19, 2012
Before buying this unit I read all the reviews, and decided to give it a shot. I live in a basement apartment, only have 2 small windows in the entire place and there is no window unit in the world that would fit these tiny windows. So a portable A/C was the answer to my problem.

I got the unit and the packaging was untouched, looked like it had never even been touched. Which was great considering it came halfway across the country (California to Iowa). ---Thumbs UP

Everything was there and looked great. ---Thumbs UP

Instructions were all in English, no searching through several languages worth to find the ones I needed. ---Thumbs UP

Simple installation. Also had to modify window adapter so it would fit my tiny windows, but that was easy. ---Thumbs UP

Now like I said previously I read all the reviews before buying. So I put the unit on my old Army footlocker to elevate it to make it easier to drain. Put a 3 gallon household mop bucket behind it, so I had something for it to drain into. Installed exhaust hose, had to buy extra air ducting for that but i was expecting that since my windows are 6 feet from the floor. I ordered the extra ducting at the same time as the A/c unit. Now having worked in maintenance field for years, I have learned that letting an A/C unit, refrigerator, and/or just about anything along those lines sit for a couple hours after moving is something you should always do. That way if the liquid refrigerant got into the compressor it has time to drain out and back to where it is supposed to be before you turn it on, turning it on with the liquid refrigerant in the compressor can cause serious damage. So after the 3 hour wait I went ahead and turned it on and set it to the setting I wanted. It worked great, had 56 degree air blowing out of the unit all the hot exhaust was going out the window, and the water was draining right into the bucket.

Now my apartment is 1,250 sq. ft., top temp due to it being a basement is 85 degrees when outside temp is 110 degrees. so it is ideal for this type of unit. It is designed to take moisture out of the sir as is all A/c units, depending on humidity levels you may get alot or you may get just a moderate amount. My humidity level usually stays around 60 to 65% depending on what level I set my dehumidifier at. But my dehumidifier produces heat when it runs. So this unit solved that problem too. I can use A/C unit for both cooling and dehumidifying in summer and use dehumidifier in the winter, since basement tend to be very humid by nature. With A/C unit running my temperature stays at 72 degrees (where I have it set) and humidity stays around 50 to 55%, which is almost perfect in my book. This unit is not made to cool such a large area but since it is a basement it is more than adequate.

I would recommend this unit for people who plan to use it for the right application and are willing to elevate unit and put drain bucket behind it. It is going to produce water, that is how it operates. At most in a 24 hour period I have had 2 1/2 gallons in the bucket. Which all I have to do is drain bucket once a day. Small price to pay for being comfortable.

I have seen reviews where people said it was noisy. It is not any noisier than any other A/C window unit, actually I would say it was quieter than most window units. I have this unit approx. 2 ft. from the foot of my bed and I have no trouble sleeping.

As for reviews on the bad smell, I have not noticed anything.

This unit works when used correctly and you are willing to modify by elevating and letting it drain. The other thing you will have to watch is negative pressure. This unit removes inside air and blows it outside, so if used in a drafty area it will pull hot air in through poor insulated areas. Also consider this is not a primary cooling unit this should be used as a supplementary unit or a zone cooling.

Hope this helps with your decision. I am a real person and a real customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cools our Camper nicely, March 26, 2012
Elizabeth Stotler (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this unit last summer to provide air conditioning for our 12" 1963 Shasta vintage travel trailer. We quickly realized that with our humid climate, we'd have to take advantage of the direct drain adapter instead of using the tank which filled up too quickly for us to get a full night's sleep. We're not handy so it was a bit of a struggle to figure out how to do this from the manual (and we broke part of the tank in the process) but we succeeded in getting it to drip out a small hole in the floor and now can sleep happily in 64 degrees while its 90+ degrees outside. The heat vent is duct-taped to another hole in our floor that was previously where the plumbing exited. We wheel the unit out of the former bathroom at night and it gives us our summer vacation back! Kudos!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, few complaints, August 6, 2010
I bought this product to cool a very small bedroom (<100 sq ft) whose windows I have to keep sealed because of sinus allergies and air quality concerns. It was easy to set up and does a good job of cooling without too much noise. My main disappointment was that the thermostat controls only the compressor, not the fan; I had thought that perhaps both the compressor and the fan would shut off once the desired temperature was reached, but if the unit is on in its AC mode, the fan runs continually. Second, when I turned the machine on using the "on" button on the unit, the thermostat setting showed in Fahrenheit, but once I started using the remote, it switched to Celsius, and I couldn't get it to switch back, not even by following the instructions in the manual. Finally, the fan noise, although reasonably low, is not entirely smooth, and is just irregular enough (with an undertone of rumbling) that it can interfere with falling asleep. Despite these minor issues, on the whole I find this product to be a good value for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars 8K BTU portable A/C unit, February 26, 2012
I purchased this unit from my local Lowe's for use in my pop-up camper for summer time use.
The unit cools very well and is not any noisier then an AC unit in a typical motel room, this unit is very portable and as others have stated yes it does draw out the moisture from the air and will fill up quickly. I ported the drain tube outside my camper so its not a problem for me.
My only complaint is that the exhaust port, (and this applies more so to my situation of using it inside a pop-up camper) in that the port is not as friendly to be easily ported through one of the zippered windows. I was able to make it work by attaching the window exhaust port directly to the attachment on the unit and using duct tape to seal it up,(I didn't use any of the flex duct) It would have been nice if the attachments would have allowed for this but the tape works just fine for my application.
My 2250 Watt generator was able to power this unit without any problems as it only draws about 6 amps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about single hose units, June 17, 2012
I'm impressed by this unit's construction and how cheap the shipped price is. It blows cold air, and definitely removes humidity. That said, I'm having a problem understanding why so many of these portable A/Cs are single hose. If you are not familiar with how the single hose versions work, they pull ambient air, use it for cooling the condenser and compressor, then exhaust the hot air out the window. When air is blown out of the room's window, more air must enter the room somewhere. That air will ultimately be the warm and/or humid outside air. Basically, the A/C is working against itself because it's pulling a constant stream of outside air into the room. Window, central, and dual hose portable A/Cs do not do this.

To top it off, when this A/C has reached the temperature setpoint, the compressor turns off, but both fans (inside cold air flow and outside hot air) continue to run. This is ok in general since it's helps to dry the condensation from the evaporator coils, but again, the constant flow of air to the outside pulls in more warm outside air, therefore speeding up the process of warming the room again!!! I've tested this A/C in a bedroom, and my thermometer/hygrometer indicates that the conditions in the room sort of hit a plateau and don't improve beyond that. It feels better than the rest of the house when the central A/C is off, but not what I'd expect.

A dual hose portable A/C has a second hose to pull in outside air and therefore keeps the outside air stream completely isolated from the inside air. Although I have not tried a dual hose unit, I wish I would have bought one instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design Flaw, August 8, 2011
I was initially willing to give this solid little air conditioner a 5 star review. However, due to its lackluster handling of water condensation I am only willing to give it 1 out of 5 stars. This item has a built in reservoir for water condensation. The manual states that at the time the reservoir becomes full, an alarm will sound and the compressor will shut off. This is not the case. Instead, the reservoir simply fills to capacity without any warning and eventually overflows onto the floor /carpet through the bottom of the unit. Attempting to drain the reservoir via the small drainage hose on the back of the unit is an exercise in futility as it is poorly placed. I was able to drain the reservoir faster by placing the unit in the tub and tilting it at a 45 degree angle. If you decide to pick up this item...Have some spare towels handy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy but efficient, May 7, 2011
This item was purchased for use in a bedroom. As mentioned in a previous review it is easy to set up and I also thought once the desired temp. was reached the fan would shut off but it does not. So this AC is just too noisy for a bedroom. We had little sleep the night we used it. But other wise the unit works well; looks like it will be easy to maintain and based on our electric meter was not an energy hog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cooler, September 9, 2011
I ordered this cooler for someone else who lives in Texas where temps this summer were extreme. It started cooling quickly and helped drop the indoor temp almost 20 degrees within half an hour. The delivery was very quick. I would order again.