5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Trail Machete
Purchased this item recently to replace my standard sized machete which I found to be too long and awkward to carry when traveling off trail here in Hawaii. The item was sent promptly and arrived quickly with no issues.

The machete is fairly short yet heavy for its size (and actually, much more so than my cheap WalMart Coleman) but not uncomfortably so and...
Published on October 18, 2009 by William Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars A great blade needs a great home :(
As far as Im concerned if I were only rating the blade itself i would give it a 5 of 5, however I was fairly disappointed with the lack of a quality sheath to accompany this knife. It has only shared a few days in the bush with me and is already showing signs of poor craftsmanship, I would be pretty surprised if the sheath lasts more than a year under heavy field use...
Published on October 5, 2011 by seniorwilma

‹ Previous | 141 42 4359 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Knife, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I'm not much of a knife expert and I haven't used this item for anything drastic yet but when you hold this thing in your hand you just feel quality. This thing is a beast! Can't wait to chop some stuff up!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of 3 essential items for bushcraft, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
This is a great quality knife that is well made, it will hold up to just about anything you can throw at it. The only downside to this knife is it's rather large for any small tasks and thus you must pair it with a small utility knife like a Mora Classic #2 Knife. With those 2 blades along with a pot you could really walk into the woods and make yourself very comfortable with the proper knowledge and provide everything you need to enjoy a weekend in the woods or longer.

What do I base this off of? In my opinion one of the best survival book ever written for general bush survival is Northern Bushcraft (for some reason even though I can find the book on amazon here [...] it won't show in the insert link so I apologize.

But if you read that book you will see Mors L Kochanski outlines all the "do's and don'ts" of bushcraft in the woods, and he clearly outlines the 3 tools you need to start off with.

1. Small Utility Knife / All Around Knife which he recommends 3 brands, and Mora is one of them. (he goes so far as to outline every dimension of the blade and handle size, and a Mora #2 fits this perfectly)

2. A Axe with a handle that fits into your armpit while you hold the head in your hand.

3. A pot to boil water/cook in

Of course you can have more or less tools, but these are the 3 you need the most especially in northern American or European regions!

Now for me, this Kukri by Ka-Bar fills the #2 need and provides you with a much better weapon to defend yourself while out in the bush. I strongly feel if Mors was alive today he would be saying the same thing. It's not as good as a axe for building huge structures like a cabin, but for lean-to's and basic wiki-ups you will find it more than sufficient.

Note if you try and instead fill the role of #1, and #2 with one knife (Such as a Becker BK2, etc) you will find it might be able to fill both roles in many ways, it will not be the most energy efficient, or time efficient. Also some things it just will not be able to at all because of it's size being larger than a Mora #2, and smaller than a Kukri. While out with minimal resources you will find that not wasting energy or time as well as being able to complete the task you need to complete, can and will be lifesaver so I recommend you take 2 knifes, or one knife and a Axe and not one over-sized knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool for the outdoorsman or homeowner., August 12, 2011
Bill Aylward (Craryville, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I found this tool to be a very useful companion for not only chores around the home but also for any outdoor activity that might require a tool of this nature. IE: camping, hiking, backpacking, bushwhacking, fishing, etc!

This item has a good feel from the kraton type handle and was quite sharp on arrival. I did touch up the blade a bit to get it xtra sharp like I like it.

The blade is heavy enough for some serious chopping but still very light to swing and very maneuverable.
It comes with a good heavy sheath which is covers the tool well and has easy access for removing the tool quickly if needed in a hurry.

It does a good job of chopping and can certainly be used for clearing small brush and weeds. Good for firewood and shelter building. All in all it is a great tool and I am very happy to add it to my tool collection.

It can also double as a good defensive weapon while in the outdoors being light and easy to maneuver.

So, ultimately, I recommend adding this item to anyones tool box who may be in need of a quality machete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and affordable knife, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I just received my Ka-Bar kukris today, and the first reaction is that these are exactly what I was looking for. I love the kukri design for the weight and balance, and while these are not the traditional Gurkha design they are excellent for all around use. The kinfe was sharp out of the box and easily usable right away. The grip is comfortable with little worry of slipping, though I may run some paracord through the grommet to provide a bit more safety. At the price, it was easy to decide to purchase a pair of these to give one to my son to use while we are camping. I'm hoping they will serve in place of a separate knife and hatchet for fire building (the kukri is heavy enough to chop branches and even split wood) and still be functional as a good camp knife for cooking or whatever. All in all a very nice knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY GOD!, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
This is the first kukri I've owned. I don't even know what got me on the topic, but I know I can always expect excellent quality from KA-BAR. I saw this item and knew I had to have it. The weight is damn near perfect, as well as the balance. The handle is shaped perfectly for my hand, and anyone else that's come by and picked it up. All of my friends have commented on how awesome this knife is. I took it outside for a test before I took it out into the brush, and with one single snap I hacked through a tree that was over an inch in diameter! After observing the blade afterwards there wasn't a nick, a scratch, anything. It was still plenty sharp enough to damn near shave the hair off my arm. I continued for a few minutes to hack up anything I could find and was only left with a few scuffs on the black protective coating over the blade. They were easily removed with a damp towel. It came well oiled, so I'm going to keep it oiled after use. Heard that's the thing to do.
This blade is awesome.
Get one.. Hell.. get two.

5.0 out of 5 stars As it should be, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
For what it is, it is ideal. Came paper cutting sharp, amazing chopping ability, and comfortable to wield. I'm used to longer machetes and swords, so the length and weight distribution took some getting used to but it's overall an easy machete to swing and powerful with each strike. Must have tool if you ask me.

Only complaint I have is on the sheath's belt loop, where the hardware is breaking. Not a big deal, and an easy fix, but I'd expect the rivets to last a few years, not a few uses.

Bottom line, buy this kukri.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ka-Bar Black Kukri Machete, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
Razor sharp out of the box. Huge amounts of cutting power. I easily cut through six one-inch green branches in one swing like they weren't there. Make sure there is a clear path of travel behind what you're cutting though. I misjudged how far the tip hangs down, and just a gentle tap on some embedded gravel on the other side of the root I was working on chipped the blade all up. Used properly and on appropriate materials though, this is an excellent blade. Very well balanced for chopping, cleaving, hacking, and even some martial-arts twirling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ka-Bar machete, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I had bought another machete before this one trying to go the cheaper route for just a hacking blade for when i go camping and need to cut through brush and wood for the fire. Least to say it was a bad machete so i decided to spend a little extra money and get a quality blade. This baby is sharp right out of the box i love the grip because it fits well in my hand and wont slip easy with the grip material it has. Some kind of carbon rubber or something im not an expert in that stuff but. Not very heavy either so it wont wear you out carrying it in your pack or if you spend and extended period of time chopping wood among other things. Highly reccommend ka bar , i own a few other pocket and combat knifes of theirs always very high quality for a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ka-Bar Black Kukri Machete, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I bought this machete a few months. I thought I would give it a few months use before I would actually review it. This nice machete came decently sharp being what it is. I was impressed by the craftsmanship (even if it is NOT American made). I own several kukri machetes, and this one is particularly my favorite. I have taken it on a few camping trips, cleared brush, and hacked away at pesky branches. It was a bit heavy at times, but overall it is balanced very well and has a very nice handle compared to other machetes. The edge stayed pretty sharp since I wasn't going to go crazy and hack rocks and such (only slight edge touch-ups needed). At this price, I believe this is the best deal on a very good machete that you can buy. Ka-Bar has done very well with this kukri machete.

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing ive tried, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
there is nothing wrong with this ka bar, yes, it is made in taiwan, think, where were the best knives and swords made, asia, i.e. china, japan, taiwan, etc. and also yes, ka bar is a us made product, but there is nothing wrong with this, i have used it, it is a bit big, but it has better leverage if u think about it, people complain about it having 2 straps securing it, u only have to undo 1, the top one, u can still easily slide it out, so all in all, if u have complaints about this, u r too picky, it doesnt have to be perfect, it works!

‹ Previous | 141 42 4359 | Next ›