5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Trail Machete
Purchased this item recently to replace my standard sized machete which I found to be too long and awkward to carry when traveling off trail here in Hawaii. The item was sent promptly and arrived quickly with no issues.

The machete is fairly short yet heavy for its size (and actually, much more so than my cheap WalMart Coleman) but not uncomfortably so and...
Published on October 18, 2009 by William Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars A great blade needs a great home :(
As far as Im concerned if I were only rating the blade itself i would give it a 5 of 5, however I was fairly disappointed with the lack of a quality sheath to accompany this knife. It has only shared a few days in the bush with me and is already showing signs of poor craftsmanship, I would be pretty surprised if the sheath lasts more than a year under heavy field use...
Published on October 5, 2011 by seniorwilma

‹ Previous | 141 42 4362 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality kukri, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
this is a great machete, may be better if it were a little bit longer. I still may buy another to have as a back up.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not be disappointed., November 28, 2011
earlwise (Tallahassee, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
Like every Ka-Bar I have owned, this one stands up to abuse and retains its edge. Great for stripping limbs off downed trees, or hacking through brush up to a few inches thick. Also works well for batoning medium sized firewood. Always in my trunk or on my belt. Along with two full sized axes, I have an Estwing hatchet and a full sized military machete, but this is my go to tool for clearing brush and as my chainsaw companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One heck of a blade for the money!, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
Wow! Everything that needs to be said about this item, has been. Certainly much more than I anticipated. Upon opening, I almost cut off one of the straps for the sheath, as the blade just barely grazed it as it flipped back to the closed position. IMO, it should have had hinged straps for the sheath so they fall out of the way when putting the blade inside.

I paid much more money for quality pocket knives and find it astounding this blade can be offered at this price.

It is not the brush beater to toss in the shed I was expecting, but a real quality tool not to be under estimated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Machete...Great Craftsmanship...Super Sharp, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
Ka-Bar definately lived up to it's reputation with it's Black Kukri Machete. I purchased it to clear trails and shooting lanes where I hunt and it cut through brush and small trees with ease. The out-of-the-box edge on this thing is incredible! I've used it for one round of clearing trails and the blade held up very well. I didn't see any nicks which is most likely due to the 1085 carbon steel used. The sheath it comes with leaves more to be desired (I prefer all-leather sheaths for my knives), but the belt loop is very accommodating and there is an eyelet at the end to secure it to your leg. You will have to be careful taking it in and out of the sheath to avoid damaging the leather straps. It's weight plays a critical role as this is a compact machete. The mass of the blade definately assists in allowing you not to swing as hard to cut/shop what your swinging at. I believe it's a must-have for any serious outdoorsman and is definately worth the extra money you spend to get it. If properly taken care of it should last a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machete, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
Wow what a great Machete I will buy nothing but K-Bar From now on. So sharp and light weights great for all hikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Power behind every swing, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
You can cut through metal pretty easily with this thing. The construction of this blade is flawless as far as I can see. The hardened and weighted steel behind the blade adds momentum to every swing that would require much harder swinging to achieve otherwise. This kukri is an outdoorsman's best friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars ka-bar kukri, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
ka-bar has done a very nice job on this kukri.very nice weight and balance. very comfortable handle and has a hole for a wrist tie. very nice scabbard and has leg tie down ring.five star job kabar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Knife, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I'm not much of a knife expert and I haven't used this item for anything drastic yet but when you hold this thing in your hand you just feel quality. This thing is a beast! Can't wait to chop some stuff up!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of 3 essential items for bushcraft, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
This is a great quality knife that is well made, it will hold up to just about anything you can throw at it. The only downside to this knife is it's rather large for any small tasks and thus you must pair it with a small utility knife like a Mora Classic #2 Knife. With those 2 blades along with a pot you could really walk into the woods and make yourself very comfortable with the proper knowledge and provide everything you need to enjoy a weekend in the woods or longer.

What do I base this off of? In my opinion one of the best survival book ever written for general bush survival is Northern Bushcraft (for some reason even though I can find the book on amazon here [...] it won't show in the insert link so I apologize.

But if you read that book you will see Mors L Kochanski outlines all the "do's and don'ts" of bushcraft in the woods, and he clearly outlines the 3 tools you need to start off with.

1. Small Utility Knife / All Around Knife which he recommends 3 brands, and Mora is one of them. (he goes so far as to outline every dimension of the blade and handle size, and a Mora #2 fits this perfectly)

2. A Axe with a handle that fits into your armpit while you hold the head in your hand.

3. A pot to boil water/cook in

Of course you can have more or less tools, but these are the 3 you need the most especially in northern American or European regions!

Now for me, this Kukri by Ka-Bar fills the #2 need and provides you with a much better weapon to defend yourself while out in the bush. I strongly feel if Mors was alive today he would be saying the same thing. It's not as good as a axe for building huge structures like a cabin, but for lean-to's and basic wiki-ups you will find it more than sufficient.

Note if you try and instead fill the role of #1, and #2 with one knife (Such as a Becker BK2, etc) you will find it might be able to fill both roles in many ways, it will not be the most energy efficient, or time efficient. Also some things it just will not be able to at all because of it's size being larger than a Mora #2, and smaller than a Kukri. While out with minimal resources you will find that not wasting energy or time as well as being able to complete the task you need to complete, can and will be lifesaver so I recommend you take 2 knifes, or one knife and a Axe and not one over-sized knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool for the outdoorsman or homeowner., August 12, 2011
Bill Aylward (Craryville, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri (Sports)
I found this tool to be a very useful companion for not only chores around the home but also for any outdoor activity that might require a tool of this nature. IE: camping, hiking, backpacking, bushwhacking, fishing, etc!

This item has a good feel from the kraton type handle and was quite sharp on arrival. I did touch up the blade a bit to get it xtra sharp like I like it.

The blade is heavy enough for some serious chopping but still very light to swing and very maneuverable.
It comes with a good heavy sheath which is covers the tool well and has easy access for removing the tool quickly if needed in a hurry.

It does a good job of chopping and can certainly be used for clearing small brush and weeds. Good for firewood and shelter building. All in all it is a great tool and I am very happy to add it to my tool collection.

It can also double as a good defensive weapon while in the outdoors being light and easy to maneuver.

So, ultimately, I recommend adding this item to anyones tool box who may be in need of a quality machete.

‹ Previous | 141 42 4362 | Next ›