on March 21, 2014
There is a reason why people who own this knife call it "the King". It rules. For the money I don't think you can get a better "huge camp chopper" knife. Great it the hand. Chops and batons with ease. Some don't like the sheath but I really do. Extra space for a small BK13 back up, secure pouch for my Fenix PD35 flashlight, bic lighter and fire kit. At $90 via Amazon I have no problem sticking it in the fire to move coals, in the ground to dig or through a board with nails. A good axe is a better chopper but heavy. This is good enough that I will leave my camp axe at home for extended hiking trips. Will buy more Beckers for sure. Careful they are addicting. Neighbors run away when they see me pruning my trees with it but it makes the job so much more fun.
on March 8, 2014
Handle has no texture for grip. If you are really chopping away, you run the risk of losing this thing, which you definitely want to avoid. I have seen replacement panels on Amazon, but they are relatively pricey. I just bought some skateboard tape and ran it around the handle. Seems to to the trick. Other than that, I love the fit and feel, and handles splitting wood with ease.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2015
I was considering the BK9 or the ESEE Junglas knife. After reading some of the reviews on the BK9 I was starting to think I should order the much more expensive Junglas. But at the last minute I decided to order this knife and fix the issues if needed. I'm really glad I decided to go with the BK9. I like the BK9 as shipped.

The first issue I read was that the sheath was no good. I was surprised to see the sheath when I opened the box. It really is not as bad as some of the reviews state. I would prefer a Kydex sheath but not for $80 more. This sheath is light, it is black in color, it holds the knife well without using the handle strap. I think I could use it without strapping the handle in each time. The knife does kind of snap into the sheath around the last inch in. That is plenty holding force for storing the blade in general. It is nice to have the handle strap if a more holding force is needed.

In some of the youtube video's people were showing how the handle strap would ride along the sharp edge of the knife as you pull it out. Therefore the conclusion is that it would be cut off in little time. But on the sheath I received, the straps have velcro on the back of them and they secure in the open position when you unsnap the strap. So it is no longer an issue with the blade touching the strap as you remove the knife. The sheath has a 3" belt loop and it can be put on your belt without taking your belt off. It has a snap and velcro holding it in place.

The sheath has several different mounting options in addition to the typical belt loop. The sheath has a hard plastic liner in the soft cloth so it does not bend and seems to protect the knife well. There is also a small pocket that looks about the size to store a 3"-4" sharpening stone or a fire starter. And there is a second knife holder with plastic knife liner on the top to store a small BK13 knife. However the BK13 did not come with this knife, it mentions on the Becker website that it is an add on purchase. Overall I think I like this sheath, I will not get the Kydex sheath after all.

If you add in the smaller BK13 knife, a sharpening stone and a fire starter to the sheath then you have a nice survival knife set, all in one sheath. This makes this sheath nice.

The second issue I see often is that the handle is no good, too slippery. I find the handle on this knife I have to be ok. I can see it might be a little slippery if your hands are wet but it is not as bad as I was thinking. The grip feels very good, my hand wraps around it just right. I wear a size large glove for hand size comparison. The end of the handle comes out a little and that would help prevent the knife from slipping out of your hand. I would think the handle could be roughed up with some fine sandpaper if needed for extra grip. This will likely happen over time anyway, so the grip should improve slightly with use. You could also wrap some paracord around the handle for extra grip or to increase the size of the handle. I have not tried this but I think it would work. I don't have any issue with the grip at this point so I'll hold off on getting the optional handle grips.

The knife came new with a very sharp edge. This is the sharpest knife I ever received new. I could cut the hair on my arm with the blade, so it passes the very sharp test. I know all knife reviews always say this but I have not found that to be the case. In the BK9 it really does come sharp enough to cut the hair on my arm. The blade is cut perfect, no issues with it. The coating on the blade is kind of rough, after using it for a while it should smooth out. In the new condition the knife has more grip on the blade then the handle. No issue for me though. The stock handle fits the knife perfectly, I don't see any defects in it. It is good that it can be replaced if needed, will see how it goes.

Another surprise is the knife weight, it really feels ok. I was thinking it would be too heavy to put on a belt but now that I have it I think I would wear it on my belt when needed. The knife is blade heavy and it feels right. Hard to explain but it feels like the right balance. This is a large knife, it does baton well.

In summary, I like the knife as is. The knife looks well made, no imperfections noticed. It feels right when holding it. And the sheath is not all that bad, I like the sheath that comes with it. If this changes later I can always upgrade but for now it serves its purpose. $77 dollars less than a Junglas. I realize the cost goes up if I buy new handle grips and a sheath but I don't see the need. Long review but hopefully it helps someone considering this knife.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this knife as an alternative to using an ax for splitting and chopping smaller logs for use in my fire pit and smoker box for the grill.

In my yard at any given time there are either kids or dogs running around playing, so swinging an ax is not always safe. The kids know better than to be near me while processing wood, when they are paying attention. The dogs, well, not so much.

I purchased the BK9 in the beginning of April 2014 and have been using it on a regular basis 2-3 times a week for the entire month. I baton the BK9 using a thick tree branch into the logs I want split as I need them to keep the fire going and have used it to chop down several small shrubs/trees into oblivion. It has been used to create fire sticks and I mentioned earlier, cuts down wood to smaller sizes for my smoker. It has gone through very hard woods such as decorative Bradford pear and hickory with ease and I doubt there is much that can slow it down. Splitting and cutting soft woods like pine is a joke, it's like a hot knife through butter. Never an issue.

The heat treat and steel on this knife is tremendous as it holds an edge for an incredibly long amount of time even with the abuse I've put it though.

It is a very well balanced knife and comfortable in the hands even with the stock handles. At some point I may end up getting micarta or wood handles, but for now, I don't believe it's necessary. Customizing it would only be for my enjoyment and overall aesthetics.

The coating is nice, but it does have a tendency to bind just a bit, so stripping the blade to it's raw steel may be something I do in the near future. So far the coating has held up well, but is naturally wearing which gives a used look, which I like very much.

This knife will accompany me on my next camping trip. I could bring an ax, as I car camp, but the BK9 is just so much fun to use, I don't think I would miss my ax at all.

If your in the market for a large fixed blade that will be intended to chop, baton and slice, look no further, this King needs to be in your court.
on August 28, 2012
Got as a gift- The Becker BK-9 has a reputation that proceeds it and when it arrived I was not disappointed. The knife is very large and balances well in my hand. The first thing I did was strip the epoxy coating off the entire blade and handle with Klean-Strip so I could force a patina on it with mustard and vinegar. The epoxy coating is great at preventing rust but makes the blade drag when chopping. It also looks terrible after a few uses because it gets scuffed up. The coating also serves as a way to save money by skipping steps in the polishing process and it's obvious when you remove it that it's a rather ugly blade. There were grinding marks under the scales and also a brown spot near the belly on one side that I think is a result of a poor temper/heat treatment in that area. While I the knife was soaking in stripper I stippled the Grivory handles with a soldering iron. It has the look and feel of the surface of a golf ball. After rinsing the blade I applied mustard to the blade and wrapped it in bubble wrap for a random patter and let it sit for one hour. I then wrapped it in a vinegar soaked towel for 30 minutes. It now has a nice grey patina with a really cool looking pattern to it. The handle is on the slim side for my large hand so I made liners out of a green XBox DVD case. It was enough to thicken the grip a little and looks killer! Also added a lanyard. I sharpened the blade to remove the patina from the cutting edge and took it hiking to practice some bushcraft in the mountains near home. It does all you could possibly imagine and more. It's not a pocket knife and it's not an axe or saw, it falls somewhere in the middle. I also bought the Becker BK-13 Remora to go in the slot provided for it in the sheath (the first run came with a Chinese copy). I did not expect to like the Remora so much! My skills with an axe are minimal so the BK-9 and a Laplander saw have me covered when going into the mountains this fall.
on August 15, 2013
Becker knives are simply top notch. They may not cost as much as some, but I'd bet their quality against most and expect them to come out on top.

The BK9 is an absolutely prolific chopper that will slice quite well, baton with ease, and generally do anything you could expect a large knife to do, while still achieving smaller knife tasks. I have put this knife up against many others that I own or have owned. The only one that could surpass it is the ESEE Junglas, and I'm still not sure the Junglas has the BK9 beaten, except in outright size (Junglas is a 10+ inch knife).

The sheath is decent, no real complaints there.

Some folks may not like the grivory handles. I like them, but I did opt to try the Micarta handles out. They can also be found on Amazon, but be warned - they do cost a bit at $40-$45. However, they are very much worth it. I thought I couldn't like my BK9 any better than I did...until I got the Micarta handles for it. Worth the money, trust me. Even more worth it if you're not thrilled with Grivory.

Back to the knife - it's a winner, winner, winner. The grind is great, the edge is perfect (came from the factory VERY sharp), the jimping along the top helps with more delicate tasks, and the point/tip of the knife is more than sufficiently strong.

If you want to save a few dollars and still have a 9" chopper that can slice and baton as well, I suggest the Ka Bar Heavy Bowie. Is it better than the BK9? In my opinion, the answer is "no", but it's a very good knife that comes close.

The BK9 - top of the heap.
on December 7, 2011
i do not write reviews on my non-kitchen knives.
i do own a collection, with many knives that are more exotic and manufactured with higher mystique steel than this knife.
but this knife has the basics *so* right - it *is* very well made, it has the size to be a serious all around tool and -heaven prevent us from ever needing it- weapon (but knives will always be a second to last resort).... so even though i have knives that are several times the price of this one, i find myself using and enjoying the BK9 so much i shall always keep 2 of them in my stable, and use them while the more expensive knives are babied.
this is one to be used, it can do anything and is up to it.
before you plonk down the money for a collectible, get this as a knife you shall really use. it's big but balanced and not remotely as unwieldy as other large knives out there. great for outdoors. easy to keep sharp.
it is meant to be used hard. brilliant. a steal at an under $100 price.
highly recommended if you are looking for a versatile big tool first, and one you will not be shy to abuse some - as it's meant to be.
on October 13, 2012
I received this knife and was immediately impressed with it's size and weight, it chops and does standard camp chores with ease!
The only down side would be that I have owned a few other Becker Knives and this one came with a Cordura Sheath rather than a Kydex sheath, the only other down side is that in wet rainy conditions without a lanyard thong (which it has a hole for)is that the handle is not textured in anyway and it becomes a bit slick.
Checking this out I removed the handle scales which use an allen wrench so you can clean under the handles after particularly nasty chores I found the handles while reinforced molded plastic are hollow so grinding any sort of gripping into it would weaken it's structural integrity, there are after market Micarta Handles available for the entire Becker line but they are fairly pricey!
I'm going to try to make a set of Elk Antler handle scales for mine to eliminate this problem.
All in all a great outdoor piece of survival gear and an impressive piece of essential hardware!
Joe Brokenfeather Darrah
on September 5, 2010
Overall, I think The KaBar Becker BK-9 is an excellent knife. I was very happy to find that KaBar is producing the Becker designs again. I think this is an excellent field/utility knife that would also certainly serve well in a survival situation, but it is quite large (9" blade)and heavy.

It's a very robust knife, a little under 1/4 inch thick, full tang, weighs maybe a pound and a half, holds an edge well, and it's not too hard to sharpen. It's made of 1095 steel, coated with a smooth black protective coating. The tang extends slightly beyond the handle into a pommel useful for pounding. This is a very solid knife which holds up well to: cutting, slicing, scraping, chopping, batoning, and even digging, prying, hammering, and cooking.

The handle scales are black "Grivory," which is fiberglass impregnated nylon plastic, I believe. It's very light and strong and should be impervious to weather, but the handle scales are where I have my main criticisms. First, they are a comfortable shape and fit my hands well, but they are quite smooth. This can be easily fixed with some skateboard tape or other wrapping, or by scoring or checking the handle scales with a file or Dremel tool. Second, the handle scales can come loose a little too easily. The scales are fixed to the knife with three hex-head bolts and nuts. Apparently these are not well-torqued at the factory. This can also be easily fixed in several different ways. Simply using a hex key wrench to tighten the bolts, or wrapping with tape or cord as I mentioned above will fix this. My solution was to remove the bolts and coat their threads with LockTite, then properly torque them down again. They haven't loosened at all since I did this.

The knife came with a small, stainless steel, skeleton handled, utility knife which has its own pocket in the sheath, but it's just simple knife without much to say about it.

My only complaint is the sheath, which is just nylon with a plastic insert. It has an accessory pocket which can hold a sharpening stone, multi-tool, or flashlight, and also contains the small, included utility knife. I would have expected a much better sheath for a knife of this quality and I don't expect this sheath to hold up well over time, but there are certainly better sheath options out there.
on June 22, 2014
If you're familiar with the Becker brand of hard use knives and tools, than you've likely heard about them outperforming knives costing 2 to 3 times more.That's not just a rumor.The BK 9 batons wood with no damage to the blade,chops damn near like an axe, and stays sharp throughout.The balance is excellent for a big knife and it's nowhere near as heavy as it looks.The 1095 carbon steel blade is the sharpest I've seen come on a factory knife out of the box.Some users may want to ditch the stock sheath and grip scales, but they will definitely do the job as is.There are better knives costing more money out there, but the BK 9 can more than hold it's own.If you're on a budget it's hands down your best choice for a hard use survival tool.